X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Tue May 24, 2022 10:07 pm

First of the animated series figures that I have ordered but that cel shaping down Morph's leg makes me think he needs Depends. :?
Apocalypse2020
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 24, 2022 10:10 pm

Love the idea, hate the execution of this line.

They dont know how to do cell shading. Morph has this weird line of shadow running from his collar to his wrist on one arm. Much better than jean but the "cell shading" over all is all over the place and horrible

This line should have just been a consistant color palette and heads/attires that matched the animated tv show. It wouls have been a huge success and could have been swapped in and out of comic displays easily
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 24, 2022 11:43 pm

Not my pic, I saw this on reddit.
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 am

Damnit - I forgot to cancel my order for Jubilee and they charged me.

So... anyone want Jubilee?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Wed May 25, 2022 2:42 am

Wolverine's mask is much better done on the animated figure. The fins are a big improvent.
BAT
Avengers Assemble

Wed May 25, 2022 2:49 am

Is Morph exclusive to pulse? $27.99 + $6.99 shipping is a big ask for a bare bones figure and pulse membership is a grift I won't pay for again.

Also, gotta love how the membership is advertised as costing $50, but then they charge you sales tax on that - a sale of a thing that is not an actual thing - so the real cost is >$55 for the privilege to buy figures they make exclusive for no other reason than they know they've been requested for decades.

A shapeshifter with no other character heads... Hasbro: we give you less for more!
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 5:00 am

I believe they'll also be at Disney Store. But after they canceled so many people's X-Force 3-pack pre-orders, I wouldn't trust them.
MaximumCrapping
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 am

Rider wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:54 pm
From the sculptor's Instagram. The face actually looks nice without paint, much closer to the cartoon version.

Exactly. He also sculpted Sabretooth from the Bonebreaker wave, and without paint, these faces look good. If I paint the hair just black and remove the paint on the lips, Morph will more than likely look much better, hopefully.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:17 am

I don't know if it's the sculpts or the paints or what, but a lot of the heads have been terrible lately, in my opinion. We'll see how Morph turns out, but Sabretooth, the retro wave Invisible Woman, Siryn..
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 am

Has the sculptor of Siryn and Retro Sue ever identified him/herself? Guessing no...

I agree - the faces have been extremely hit or miss for me lately and mainly because they don't look like the source material. Morph does not look like Morph. Storm's hair is not right. Jean is two hideous repaints. Expand this to the waves and we've got SabreTEETH, BabyfaceBoneBreaker, Siryn, Maggot (looks off to me), Kitty, Meggan, Retro Sue, Classic Strange (50/50), Speedball and Viper, all with questionable portrait choices.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 am

JPC wrote:
Has the sculptor of Siryn and Retro Sue ever identified him/herself? Guessing no...

I agree - the faces have been extremely hit or miss for me lately and mainly because they don't look like the source material. Morph does not look like Morph. Storm's hair is not right. Jean is two hideous repaints. Expand this to the waves and we've got SabreTEETH, BabyfaceBoneBreaker, Siryn, Maggot (looks off to me), Kitty, Meggan, Retro Sue, Classic Strange (50/50), Speedball and Viper, all with questionable portrait choices.
Someone did share the 3D Sue head and it looked decent without paint. I noticed that Morph's lip paint is printed on wrong similar to Moira from the House of X wave.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am

JPC wrote:

That's a pretty good list of terrible-to-lackluster sculpts. I didn't have a problem w/ Classic Strange, but Maggott and Bonebreaker grinning like idiots, various highly masculine looking female head sculpts and Speedball, a character not I, but so many were pining for, looking like he's wearing emptied out pudding cups for goggles, make for curious design choices. You'll notice Mayfield or whatever the guy's name is, who did Bishop, Nightcrawler, 90s Havok and so many of the better sculpts is the same who did 80s Havok. No optional screaming head, but I'm not complaining about the one we got. I wish he'd do more but he seems to be allotted 1 per wave. A shame he didn't get to do Morph.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 12:50 pm

I may have to get Storm and Wolverine solely for the head sculpts. They look as if they'd look great on some of the other figures.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 1:35 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:I may have to get Storm and Wolverine solely for the head sculpts. They look as if they'd look great on some of the other figures.
Those would be some expensive ass heads. Just saying. Lol. I was thinking about doing that too till I saw the final price. I'm good on that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Paul Harding is a very good sculptor. I really like what he's done for NECA recently. That said, I think Hasbro's process and scale means a lot of that finer detail gets lost when the sculpt is tooled as all of the heads come out softer and Hasbro isn't going to use paint to try to correct for that. I can see how really emphasizing the sunken cheeks on Morph for the digital sculpt might come across as being too much even knowing that it almost has to be exaggerated for the final sculpted piece to capture it. It doesn't excuse the final product, but I get it, sculpting is hard.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”