X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
razzer99
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm

I really hate the cell shading. Wolverine looks like he wet his pants and I can't unsee it. Jubilee's jacket is whatever. The only place it works well is her glasses and they look sweet. I'll be cannibalizing these for mod parts for their comic-book counterparts but that's all. As a display line, I don't care for them.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:26 pm

Still gonna pound the drum that Hasbro is being super cheap by not giving Jubilee a new, smiling head or appropriate power effects to make her cartoon accurate, in the cartoon-accurate subline that charges more for a repaint and extra cardboard.

I still want it because I like the cell shading and I've wanted figures like these for decades, but Hasbro has really sullied that feeling of finally getting a dream figure with their nostalgia tax, enough so that I want to say no.
MrDucksJr
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:35 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:
MrDucksJr wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:00 pm
These look amazing as representations of TAS, but as a strictly comic collector I'm seriously considering picking up that Jubilee and doing a quick once over with acetone, to get rid of that shading.
Will that work without damaging the plastic?
Typically the figure comes out fine, sometimes minor discoloration or slightly altered texture but its hard to ruin the figure if you're careful.

Not sure about the print on the jacket though... haven't tried acetone on that soft of a plastic before.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 pm

I want cel-shading on an animated line, but it definitely could be done better. That gold they're using on the yellow for Wolverine isn't particularly accurate, and I wish they added some swaths of light yellow, almost white, to some areas. The claws being flat gray is also disappointing. If anything, they should be white, though in a perfect world they'd be white with a touch of light blue. Jubilee still doesn't look like animated Jubilee, but at least the glasses are nice.

It is what I expect out of Hasbro though. They like to keep things cheap and just half ass these things. I've accepted it for what it is.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:52 pm

Yep, I came to terms of them cheaping out on Jubilee... I do wish they gave her a cartoon accurate head sculpt.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm

Valo487 wrote:The shading isn’t nearly as intense as it seemed in the concept art, I still feel like these would sell just as well if not better if they had just gone without it at all, but it’s good to see that it’s not as glaring as I thought it would be. Whenever they get around to doing Morph I won’t have to do much to make him fit the X-Men I already have.
I know I'm skipping them solely because of the cell shading. I don't wanna pay that much for these AND have to mod every single one of them at a risk of damaging them. The cell shading looks dumb to me on these. I hope when they do Morph they will release another version later that doesn't have the cell shading. Otherwise I won't have one of those either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

X-Men The Animated Series

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 pm

Just so everyone has a clearer picture of how the cell shading has changed from digital render to physical model, it’s definitely lighter in tone than originally intended. Digital render showed more greenish grey highlights on Wolverine, but now they’re more of a faded golden yellow. But those colors might be somewhat bleached out due to the lighting conditions in the photos that were taken. The details might be sharper in natural lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 pm

The cell-shading looks better than it did in the first pics, but I'm still not a fan. I just don't see the point. Cell-shading is used in cartoons and comics because those are 2D. Figures are in 3D, they will get real shading from real light. Same thing I hate about the NECA cartoon Turtles.. Ok I'll stop, I'm sure I've ranted about this before. These are fine for people who like them, and I already have my X-Men. I just need a damn Morph already.
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 pm

Hey, I don't care for the cel-shading either. That's why I didn't order them.

NEXT
KCE83
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 am

I really like how Jubilee’s head turned out, the reflection on the glasses is perfect. I could see popping that head on the Caliban wave figure for an ultimate Jubilee, but I doubt I’ll get the figure just for the head.
Valo487
CROM!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:03 am

Trunks3540 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm
Valo487 wrote:The shading isn’t nearly as intense as it seemed in the concept art, I still feel like these would sell just as well if not better if they had just gone without it at all, but it’s good to see that it’s not as glaring as I thought it would be. Whenever they get around to doing Morph I won’t have to do much to make him fit the X-Men I already have.
I know I'm skipping them solely because of the cell shading. I don't wanna pay that much for these AND have to mod every single one of them at a risk of damaging them. The cell shading looks dumb to me on these. I hope when they do Morph they will release another version later that doesn't have the cell shading. Otherwise I won't have one of those either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
My current plan is to take the Morph head and put it on the jacket Cyclops body from the three pack, but if the cel shading isn’t bad I might leave it as is. If I can keep both I’d prefer that option but I’m not keen on heavily animated style paint so it depends on when/if they announce one how it’s done.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 am

Wolverine looks even better than the render. Jubilee, however, looks terrible.
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 am

Wait, why does Jubilee come with the mystic swirls?!

Decisions likes these make me ever so grateful for the Can of Beams of this world.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:24 am

I don't hate the cel shading, but I would rather he were without it as it would look more like the ToyBiz v.2 Wolverine from the old days. I'm really not digging that nose gap between the eyes being larger than usual either. I think once I get these in hand I'll be able to tell whether I care to continue the line. I really hope they don't do Morph as verbatim "animated" with the cel shading, but I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to double dip. I guess I can at least try using Jubilee's glasses on Maggott when he comes out.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:12 am

Aww man, that was gonna be my trick I shared when the figure finally came out. :)

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”