X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:21 pm

I'm definitely getting the sense that Hasbro is going to focus on the easy characters first which are those requiring very little modification to the sculpt. They spent a little money doing new heads on Wolverine as the lead-off character (and because they probably figure to sell a lot of Wolverines) while Jubilee and Sinister fall into more of the straight repaint category. It makes it easy to see why Storm and Jean are listed in the solicitation since their figures should be pretty similar, even if some of us are hoping they at least get new heads. That just leads me to believe that they're going to hold back on the characters requiring more than just a head swap (except Morph, he's happening). I think Sabretooth is the most obvious one that should require more than just a repaint. They certainly could repaint the existing one, but that would be a very disappointing release based on how the character looked in the show. I'm not sure if there's another Legends release out there they could just take from. Maybe Caliban?
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Misfit wrote:I'm definitely getting the sense that Hasbro is going to focus on the easy characters first which are those requiring very little modification to the sculpt. They spent a little money doing new heads on Wolverine as the lead-off character (and because they probably figure to sell a lot of Wolverines) while Jubilee and Sinister fall into more of the straight repaint category. It makes it easy to see why Storm and Jean are listed in the solicitation since their figures should be pretty similar, even if some of us are hoping they at least get new heads. That just leads me to believe that they're going to hold back on the characters requiring more than just a head swap (except Morph, he's happening). I think Sabretooth is the most obvious one that should require more than just a repaint. They certainly could repaint the existing one, but that would be a very disappointing release based on how the character looked in the show. I'm not sure if there's another Legends release out there they could just take from. Maybe Caliban?
Yeah caliban would work for Sabretooth but there’s also the Omega Red body which might be proportionate the character model. You have to remember that while Creed was huge in the show he wasn’t exactly the size of a building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:02 pm

The Hasbro team did interviews with a bunch of YouTubers yesterday, and they kind of blur together today so I forget exactly where they said if if you're looking for a source. But they said they actually do not plan on doing the full animated series team, at least not in 2022. Their goal is to eventually get the whole team done, but as of now, they can't commit to it because it depends on how successful these are and what they can squeeze in with the other Marvel releases they have to do over the next few years. They're also going to continue the X-Men retro-card series, so some X-characters will be getting re-released that way. So if we're getting more than the three they've shown and Storm/Jean in 2022, it may be random villains instead of the TAS team members that we expect.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:20 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Yeah caliban would work for Sabretooth but there’s also the Omega Red body which might be proportionate the character model. You have to remember that while Creed was huge in the show he wasn’t exactly the size of a building

I think it's less an issue of height and more one that matches his unusual proportions. The character model has him at maybe a little over 7' (the actual image is the same I used where he's hunched over so it's tough to say for sure), which actually makes him taller than base Apocalypse and pretty close to Juggernaut (safe to say, the actual animation was apparently not that concerned with using model sheets 100% of the time). For Sabretooth, I think it's an issue of find a sculpt that approximates how broad his shoulders were made relative to his hips. For the more musclebound heroes, their shoulders often extend beyond their hips, but with Sabretooth it's taken to the extreme. Those shoulders and his oversized mane (and his absurd abdominals) I think are what define the look of the character from the show. That's why the Caliban sculpt was the first one to come to mind because he has some pretty massive shoulders. At least if they were to use Omega Red they'd be able to hide those shoulder holes with a mane piece.
PharOOO
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:23 pm

One of my personal complaints about the original Mr. Sinister is they painted his neck in the same color as the rest of his costume.

I'm glad to see the animated version has a white neck. I think it helps with the overall appearance.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Handsome wrote:
The Hasbro team did interviews with a bunch of YouTubers yesterday, and they kind of blur together today so I forget exactly where they said if if you're looking for a source. But they said they actually do not plan on doing the full animated series team, at least not in 2022. Their goal is to eventually get the whole team done, but as of now, they can't commit to it because it depends on how successful these are and what they can squeeze in with the other Marvel releases they have to do over the next few years. They're also going to continue the X-Men retro-card series, so some X-characters will be getting re-released that way. So if we're getting more than the three they've shown and Storm/Jean in 2022, it may be random villains instead of the TAS team members that we expect.
If they want them to succeed, they need to make sure distribution is up to snuff. Because it's shocking a lot of the time. I will literally buy two Sinisters, two Cyclops's (assuming they don't butcher him), and at least one of most of the others. But I can't do that if no stores are offering them.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:39 pm

I might actually like this Sinister more than the previous one we got. I really dig that head sculpt.

I wasn't even considering villains for this line, I thought it would just be the X-Men themselves. But if that gives us second shots at characters like Sabretooth, Mystique, along with good guys like Beast or even Bishop, I welcome it. I thought they were shooting for uniform sized packaging, but clearly, anything goes.
Valo487
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 pm

They look good for what they are, and maybe I’ll feel differently when I see the final product, but so far these seem completely skippable to me. I know some like it, but I’m not overly keen on adding “cel shaded” to the versions they can make to remake more characters. There are some animated designs I’d really like to see get figures like Chameleon and Scorpion, but if they’re going to be painted this way I’m not sure they’ll fit with the rest.
ig64
Hot Female Designated Assassin Droid

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:18 pm

NORM wrote:
I might actually like this Sinister more than the previous one we got. I really dig that head sculpt.

I wasn't even considering villains for this line, I thought it would just be the X-Men themselves. But if that gives us second shots at characters like Sabretooth, Mystique, along with good guys like Beast or even Bishop, I welcome it. I thought they were shooting for uniform sized packaging, but clearly, anything goes.
Is the headsculpt new? I thought it was the same one.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:20 pm

ig64 wrote:
NORM wrote:

You may be right. But the paints are definitely handled differently. Funny what a fresh coat of paint can do.
panther10

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:00 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Handsome wrote:
If they want them to succeed, they need to make sure distribution is up to snuff. Because it's shocking a lot of the time. I will literally buy two Sinisters, two Cyclops's (assuming they don't butcher him), and at least one of most of the others. But I can't do that if no stores are offering them.
Well these are all pulse exclusives so stocking shouldn’t be an issue here. They’ll just be made to order.

panther10

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm

NORM wrote:
ig64 wrote:
NORM wrote:

You may be right. But the paints are definitely handled differently. Funny what a fresh coat of paint can do.
The first sinister headsculpt had eyebrows and this new one doesn’t.

ig64
Hot Female Designated Assassin Droid

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:21 pm

The eyes look different, but I think it's mostly a matter of paint application and eyeshadow. Headsculpts are most likely the same.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:34 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:00 pm
pr1983 wrote:If they want them to succeed, they need to make sure distribution is up to snuff. Because it's shocking a lot of the time. I will literally buy two Sinisters, two Cyclops's (assuming they don't butcher him), and at least one of most of the others. But I can't do that if no stores are offering them.
Well these are all pulse exclusives so stocking shouldn’t be an issue here. They’ll just be made to order.

Them being a Pulse exclusive makes it even worse, though I suppose Brexit can be partially blamed for that.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:41 pm

I wonder if Cyclops will be made on a different body. I'd assume not but it would be cool if it was on the Sunfire body or even the new Vulcan one.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”