X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:32 am

panther10 wrote:I’m starting to wonder why Hasbro didn’t bother to include an unmasked head for Wolverine? Do you suppose it’s because they’re trying to distance themselves somewhat from the mondo version? Or is it because they have plans to do a civilian Logan at some point and then expect us to do a head swap later on, like they did with the 80th anniversary wolvie and the masked head from the love triangle 2-pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easy.

This seems to be a easy money wave for hasbro. Its almost all reuse so far aside from wolverines new mask and his accessories.

Jubilee isn't even styled to be he animated head sculpt.

Id wager cyclops will just be a straight up repaint, as will jean (but with only ponytail head , storm might very well be too)

Beast will get a new head, and gambit will probably just be a repaint

Plus these are cardboard boxes, looking about the size of the army builder boxes, for a premium price.

As enjoyable as these are, this is a cheap, relatively easy way to probably make up some losses from the last 2 years or help fund something else

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:09 am

spideyboy1111 wrote:
panther10 wrote:I’m starting to wonder why Hasbro didn’t bother to include an unmasked head for Wolverine? Do you suppose it’s because they’re trying to distance themselves somewhat from the mondo version? Or is it because they have plans to do a civilian Logan at some point and then expect us to do a head swap later on, like they did with the 80th anniversary wolvie and the masked head from the love triangle 2-pack?

Easy.

This seems to be a easy money wave for hasbro. Its almost all reuse so far aside from wolverines new mask and his accessories.

Id wager cyclops will just be a straight up repaint, as will jean (but with only ponytail head , storm might very well be too)

Plus these are cardboard boxes, looking about the size of the army builder boxes, for a premium price.

As enjoyable as these are, this is a cheap, relatively easy way to probably make up some losses from the last 2 years or help fund something else

No these boxes are far bigger than the army builder boxes. If you watched the original stream there was a point where Ryan showed off his mint copy of the very first XTAS video tape and the new figure box was like 2x the size of that video tape. They’re easily 8”x12” boxes.

MaximumCrapping
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:05 am

Misfit wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Hmm...I wonder what this could be referring to:

Might refer to the time when Morph had a split personality. So, that could mean he'll get his alt. evil head and maybe a third headsculpt. Perhaps a Gyrich or Bolivar Trask?
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:07 am

lol I JUST replied to that tweet.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:13 am

panther10 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

Easy.

No these boxes are far bigger than the army builder boxes. If you watched the original stream there was a point where Ryan showed off his mint copy of the very first XTAS video tape and the new figure box was like 2x the size of that video tape. They’re easily 8”x12” boxes.

Thats good at least I guess, not that Jubilee comes with all that much to warrant that though lol.

And im sure they're still saving a ton of money regardless

maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 am

Very Happy for those who have been clamoring for this to happen for years, the packaging is legit very awesome.

To me it frees up space in other waves for new characters and looks; I understand that the cell shading and lack of accessories kinda sucks but it’s a dedicated subline to appease people that are hardcore fans and not maybe into the rest of the Hasbro Xmen offerings.

Bonus, I never have to buy TAS Morph, any of the animated X-men or another Jubilee (her BAF is on display and that wouldnt change) to complete a BAF I may actually want
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 am

I was wondering why those VHS style cases ended up looking so huge. I don’t think the retro packaging so far has been much deeper than a VHS. The army builder boxes have shipped super nicely too and seemed smaller than a VHS cassette in every dimension.

It’s super odd and I wasn’t as overwhelmed by the packaging like the producer couple that was in the livestream. Kinda feel like a regular vhs sized package (or even just slightly thicker) would’ve ended up being something I’d be more likely to keep.
Nothing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:17 am

panther10 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm
There was some earlier consternation from some of our members here because they convinced themselves that there was no sense in getting these figures because the cel shaded paint decos would effectively render these as one offs. So in case it wasn’t made clear before, that is obviously not Hasbro’s intention. This vhs x-men line will be more akin to the TMNT cartoon 2-packs from Neca toys. It will have its own set of characters with slight retooling and cel shaded paint apps across the board.

I personally don’t even mind using these figures as their comic book counterparts since most books in the 90’s had a lot of heavy inks and vibrant colors anyway.
I honestly wonder if this line wasn't directly inspired by (the success of) NECA's TMNT.

You can even add up the cost of Wolverine + Jubilee and get $54; right around the cost of a NECA turtles 2-pack.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:48 am

Nothing wrote:
panther10 wrote:
There was some earlier consternation from some of our members here because they convinced themselves that there was no sense in getting these figures because the cel shaded paint decos would effectively render these as one offs. So in case it wasn’t made clear before, that is obviously not Hasbro’s intention. This vhs x-men line will be more akin to the TMNT cartoon 2-packs from Neca toys. It will have its own set of characters with slight retooling and cel shaded paint apps across the board.

I personally don’t even mind using these figures as their comic book counterparts since most books in the 90’s had a lot of heavy inks and vibrant colors anyway.
I honestly wonder if this line wasn't directly inspired by (the success of) NECA's TMNT.

You can even add up the cost of Wolverine + Jubilee and get $54; right around the cost of a NECA turtles 2-pack.
It’s possible. I know Dan Yun is a fan of the tmnt and he collects Neca figures. But I think the more likely impetus of this idea came solely from the fact that the 30th anniversary of the tv show is around this time next year and they needed a big celebratory announcement to kick off 2022

Maximoff
no more subnics

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am

Nothing wrote:
panther10 wrote:

That’s an ugly way to look at it considering a Neca 2 pack is a 100% new sculpt for each character, painted head to toe, swappable parts, and unique accessories. Hasbro is cheap reuse with minimal new tooling and recycled accessories. The pricing really shouldn’t be similar if you compare the two lines. I appreciate the packaging and it’s cool to get really great art for each character so I guess we’re kinda paying for that. But blah blah blah rising costs blah blah blah yeah we’ve done it to death…hasbro will test how far they can push the prices and continue to pump out recycled figures while other companies give a better deal. I want these animated figures so I’m buying even though I have some issues with them. I wish hasbro would put a little more into it. The price will keep me hoping it’s a short line for what they’re offering. Where if they made the price better or offered more to make the current price more worthwhile then I’d say go crazy.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Without trying to kick off another argument about what the appropriate price hike is on these, I also feel like this is a boundary test for the 'bro. Selling direct through their own site (and Shop Disney) so no wholesale markup/middle man, heavy reuse, and a normal amount of accessories. Definitely priced too high for me for what you get, though I am impressed by that packaging. My tune might change as they reveal more and I see the collection come together but at $26+ I'm holding off. Excited to see what else they have in store for the format though! I definitely had a brief moment of fomo where I almost bought the animated Venom (which I had no previous intention of buying) to start building a 90s animated display.
TonyStark517
Avengers Assemble

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:08 am
Nothing wrote:
panther10 wrote:

That’s an ugly way to look at it considering a Neca 2 pack is a 100% new sculpt for each character, painted head to toe, swappable parts, and unique accessories. Hasbro is cheap reuse with minimal new tooling and recycled accessories. The pricing really shouldn’t be similar if you compare the two lines. I appreciate the packaging and it’s cool to get really great art for each character so I guess we’re kinda paying for that. But blah blah blah rising costs blah blah blah yeah we’ve done it to death…hasbro will test how far they can push the prices and continue to pump out recycled figures while other companies give a better deal. I want these animated figures so I’m buying even though I have some issues with them. I wish hasbro would put a little more into it. The price will keep me hoping it’s a short line for what they’re offering. Where if they made the price better or offered more to make the current price more worthwhile then I’d say go crazy.
I can see a possible connection but it could just be the general nostalgia train running through collectibles to hit that 90s itch "kids" my age have. I do think NECA benefits from there own reuse, though, even if the line does have plenty of unique sculpts across the past few years. I do tend to think that overall argument of value is one worth noting, though, as I have felt for awhile that the NECA TMNT offered one of the better values compared to mainline offerings from companies like Mattel and Hasbro. QC issues aside of course, as I know many people avoid NECA but I've personally been fortunate and never had an issue.
H-bird wrote: Without trying to kick off another argument about what the appropriate price hike is on these, I also feel like this is a boundary test for the 'bro. Selling direct through their own site (and Shop Disney) so no wholesale markup/middle man, heavy reuse, and a normal amount of accessories. Definitely priced too high for me for what you get, though I am impressed by that packaging. My tune might change as they reveal more and I see the collection come together but at $26+ I'm holding off. Excited to see what else they have in store for the format though! I definitely had a brief moment of fomo where I almost bought the animated Venom (which I had no previous intention of buying) to start building a 90s animated display.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. $26 has already become my dropping off point for every Hasbro line, and I'll consider it for things I either really like based on the property or ones that seem like true "must-haves" for me but if they start pushing that as the norm I'll have to balk. Seeing it across multiple lines has already been disheartening, even if I skipped some (Black Series Power of the Force Reissues) while caving to others (Lightning Collection Ninjetti Rangers). I think that extra $4 needs to come with some perceivable value beyond the packaging like BS has offered and really be something of a complete offering with packing and accessories to justify it.

I say this having preordered both Wolverine and Jubilee but I'm also a terrible example to follow so yeah...
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Nothing wrote:
panther10 wrote:

Theres been alot of love for 90s toons lately. And before neca turtles, there was btas figs. I think they've all played off the hype from eachother

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

The world desperately needs an updated BTAS / JLU line.

I was at my LTS yesterday and they had the BTAS Clayface for $212!!!
fac
CROM!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

I think about 25-30 years later is prime nostalgia time for things people were into as children. Probably a mix of factors, like many collectors having kids about the same age they were when they liked some property and may be introducing those properties to their own kids, plus beginning to hit the earning years when they may have additional disposable income and getting what they didn't get when they were kids, plus a general reaction to settling down/getting older and wanting to relive some childhood memories. So XTAS is now hitting that sweet spot.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”