X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Honestly, I think these are great. I don't have the same sense of nostalgia for X-Men: TAS that a lot of people do, so I don't think I need these on my shelf, but I do like that they're dipping their toes into these kinds of special decos, and the packaging is really nice. If they end up going this route with, say, Pryde of the X-Men or the X-Men: The Arcade Game models, I'd probably be tempted in.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Buying all of these!

I can't wait for Rogue!

When they get to Storm I hope they ditch that stupid soft goods cape and give her two plastic ones (like they did with First Appearance Storm)...
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Dan Yun confirms on Twitter that they will be going deep on this line. So don’t fret fellow collectors. More animated x-men figs are coming

[URL][

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Samael13 wrote:Honestly, I think these are great. I don't have the same sense of nostalgia for X-Men: TAS that a lot of people do, so I don't think I need these on my shelf, but I do like that they're dipping their toes into these kinds of special decos, and the packaging is really nice. If they end up going this route with, say, Pryde of the X-Men or the X-Men: The Arcade Game models, I'd probably be tempted in.
I love the idea of a similar set for the arcade game/Pryde of the X-Men. Yes please.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 pm

So...Cyclops re-release on a Bucky Cap body (again)? :lol: Got it!
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm

I must have missed something--is something happening on 10/27?
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Aleks wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 pm
So...Cyclops re-release on a Bucky Cap body (again)? :lol: Got it!
Hey, I'll buy it anyway, but put it on the new Vulcan buck and that'll make it interesting I think.
MarvelLegendsMan
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 pm

panther10 wrote:Dan Yun confirms on Twitter that they will be going deep on this line. So don’t fret fellow collectors. More animated x-men figs are coming

[URL][

Why wouldn't they? Between this X-Men cartoon line, the 20th Anniversary line, all the other retro blister cardback releases, then add in Walgreens exclusives, etc... they get to charge more money for "packaging" or "deco" and get away with not providing build-a-figure pieces for the vast majority of their releases going forward.

Sigh...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

X-Men The Animated Series

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:18 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
panther10 wrote:Dan Yun confirms on Twitter that they will be going deep on this line. So don’t fret fellow collectors. More animated x-men figs are coming

[URL][

Why wouldn't they? Between this X-Men cartoon line, the 20th Anniversary line, all the other retro blister cardback releases, then add in Walgreens exclusives, etc... they get to charge more money for "packaging" or "deco" and get away with not providing build-a-figure pieces for the vast majority of their releases going forward.

Sigh...

This is the area of the price increase debate that has merit; the number of exclusives with less *sculpting*, less “accessories” (in the form of BAF parts), and arguably the same amount of packaging materials is increasing, and they’re at a premium price. I’m willing to accept some figures aren’t produced at the number of others, so tooling and production runs could justify some prices. But a line of A-list X-Men playing right into nostalgia from a still-lauded cartoon readily available for streaming, so far with two only new heads between two characters, and no BAF parts? There’s no reason these are are the price they’re set at.

I have a second set of the cast from the show with the variants/second releases, and I’d absolutely be in for accurate versions because I’m a sap. But effort isn’t there for the price of admission. There’s a lot of comparisons people make to McFarlane doing all new sculpts at a bigger scale for $20, and normally I side with the people that say ML is a much bigger line because they don’t individually sculpt 20+ new Batmen a year. But it’s hard to look what McFarlane is doing in general and what NECA is doing with TMNT at similar prices to these XTAS figures and not see a disconnect. NECA is putting multiple heads, hands, and more accessories for $25-30 per figure, with less reuse.
wetwithwaterwings
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm

I was a little disappointed that Morph wasn't revealed, but I am excited to have more X-Men to collect. The animated series is near and dear to my heart, so getting a toon-based head for Wolverine is awesome. Cel-shading doesn't excite me, but I do like that it will give my animated display a distinct look from the other versions of the team. I can see myself going all-in on this line.

I am left wondering if we'll see anymore of the bright yellow figures. Currently, we have retro Rogue, love triangle Wolverine & Cyclops, and Jubilee. Throw in retro Gambit, and you have an almost complete recolored set of the blue team.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 pm

A line of A List X-Men in a style that is more niche and that only a specific subset of collectors will be interested in because: 1. A lot of collectors already have the standard releases and might not be interested in multiples of characters they already have (me!), and 2. A lot of collectors aren't interested in the "animated" decos (not me!), and 3. A lot of collectors don't necessarily have the nostalgia/desire for these specific versions (me!).

Personally, I don't find the comparisons between companies useful; there's just too many unknown factors that go into what prices out or doesn't price out for different companies, and you can always find a company making something to argue what a deal you're getting/how you're getting ripped off. Sure, these are $27, which is $9 more than the Re-Action figures, but for that $9 you're getting a 6" figure and more accessories, and figures that are vastly more articulated! What a deal! These only cost $27, which is about $70 cheaper than MAFEX! You get fewer accessories, but they're also more durable and about as articulated. What a deal!
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

EnigmaticClarity wrote:I must have missed something--is something happening on 10/27?
I think I saw this in an email? I kinda forgot about it since there was nothing specific to my interests called out. Some sort of Pulse Premium event on the 27th. Screenshot is from the Pulse app.

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm

I think the event on the 27th is for Ghostbusters.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Samael13 wrote:
A line of A List X-Men in a style that is more niche and that only a specific subset of collectors will be interested in because: 1. A lot of collectors already have the standard releases and might not be interested in multiples of characters they already have (me!), and 2. A lot of collectors aren't interested in the "animated" decos (not me!), and 3. A lot of collectors don't necessarily have the nostalgia/desire for these specific versions (me!).

Personally, I don't find the comparisons between companies useful; there's just too many unknown factors that go into what prices out or doesn't price out for different companies, and you can always find a company making something to argue what a deal you're getting/how you're getting ripped off. Sure, these are $27, which is $9 more than the Re-Action figures, but for that $9 you're getting a 6" figure and more accessories, and figures that are vastly more articulated! What a deal! These only cost $27, which is about $70 cheaper than MAFEX! You get fewer accessories, but they're also more durable and about as articulated. What a deal!
Bingo. All of these companies are doing different things to keep their prices down in a world of vastly changing costs. Hasbro, being one of the largest toy producers on the planet, has reportedly been able to negotiate down the piece of the pie going to Target/Walmart to keep their price tag consistent. These figures don't have that luxury, so maybe that's part of the price hike or maybe it's paint? Maybe they're being used a testing ground to see what prices consumers will accept or to offset costs on the main line? Who knows? It is what it is and if people don't like it then they shouldn't pay it. I don't buy Marvel Legends so a $27 price tag is something I don't even blink at because I'm used to paying more. If the figures arrive next year and don't feel worth it to me then I'll raise my voice then or drop the line. Hopefully things are settled down by then on the manufacturer's end so we don't have to concern ourselves with prices increasing further or worry about delays upon delays with these things.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:

[URL][

Sigh...

There was some earlier consternation from some of our members here because they convinced themselves that there was no sense in getting these figures because the cel shaded paint decos would effectively render these as one offs. So in case it wasn’t made clear before, that is obviously not Hasbro’s intention. This vhs x-men line will be more akin to the TMNT cartoon 2-packs from Neca toys. It will have its own set of characters with slight retooling and cel shaded paint apps across the board.

I personally don’t even mind using these figures as their comic book counterparts since most books in the 90’s had a lot of heavy inks and vibrant colors anyway.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”