2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
MaximumCrapping
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:14 am

Rider wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:32 pm
Regarding the two-pack Venom:

Mixing heads + feet from the Marvel Select version + adding toe articulation + repaint of the factory heads to get rid of the neon pink mouth and tongue = very close to a definitive Venom, just wished he had butterfly joints and drop down hips

Also, why does everyone paint the spider logo with a rectangular, elongated butt? It just looks so strange, had to fix that too.

Nice work. Did you have to dremel the MS Venom's feet to fit the ML Venom?
Rider
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Blackestday wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:26 am
does it include plugs for the holes in the back?
No. At first, I've thought about filling the holes with epoxi, but they didn't bother me much, the plastic is black and the legs of the spider logo are cleverly painted in such at way that, if you look straight at it, they simulate the musculature as if there were no wholes there. If I ever wanty to plug the wings there, I'll have the option.
MaximumCrapping wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:14 am
Nice work. Did you have to dremel the MS Venom's feet to fit the ML Venom?
Thanks! Yes, the MS feet have no ankle rockers at all and are actually a single piece with the disk hinge, so those have to be separated and demelled, no big deal.
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:24 pm

Got my Negative set over the weekend (UK retailer).

First experience of the new plasticless packaging - requires a bit of reverse origami to wrangle the figures out, but I kinda like the little baggies that all the various accessories come in. One issue though - the legs on both figures were bent inwards at the knee, presumably from being held in the cardboard tray (which has slots the characters sit within). Combined with the little dress shoes both guys are wearing, which make it tricky to adjust the foot hinge, these guys are tough to stand. Will have to do the hot water reset on the legs.

On the plus side, the accessory selection is great and I like the alternate masks - will have to track down another suited body, as I think 2 demon goons will probably do me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:48 pm

I just bought the Renew Your Vows set a couple weeks back for my son's birthday at Target, they had 3 on the shelf. Went back the next day, and they were gone. I stopped collecting Legends a few years back, but I've kept up with the Legends news just out of curiosity, and man this new windowless packaging really does suck. I was expecting it to at least look/feel decent. But man, even for a $60 two pack, the packaging just feels super cheap. Not to mention I can't even see what's inside of the box. I gotta go home and check just to make sure whats supposed to be in there is actually in there. I'd feel so bad if my son opened up the box only to find a pink ranger and fortnite figure in there lol

I really do wonder how long this windowless packaging will last? With how many. Collectors seem to be upset about it, and all the swapping that's already going on, they can't really continue this going forward right? But on the flip side the figures still seem to be selling really fast. When I bought the Spidey/MJ set, they had 3 on the shelf, 4 Ned 2 packs, and 4 Reveres Future Foundation Spideys and they were all cleaned out the very next day.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:58 pm

I have to think the Plastic-less packaging has to be costing Hasbro (or retailers) in unexpected ways.

For instance I ordered the Spider-Man Renew Your Vows 2-pack off Amazon. Opened it up, saw some pretty bad web lines and returned it. The now have a used product. Had I been able to see it, I would have never opened it, and they would have a new product they could re-sell to someone less picky.

Hasbro is probably saving enough with this packaging to offset a lot of the costs, but are retailers eating a lot of those unexpected costs now without any savings on packaging costs?
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:11 pm

This assumes that the factory defects are happening with more regularity in the new packaging. I know it's certainly getting more attention because people were already up in arms about not seeing the product and each instance of it proves their point.

I'd be very curious to see how often this happened before compared to know. Assuming it's probably the same (just over reported now) - vendors would be in the same boat over the same issues with QC.

A point that is often brought up and not given it's proper weight - for a large portion of people who order online, the windowless packaging means nothing. You get shipped what you get shipped and if there are issues you send it back, the same as you always would. For that reason I doubt the margin for returned product is higher - even if it was unopened or not. I assume most people don't realize there is a problem until it's out of the package and in hand.

There have been a few times I look at a bunch of the same figure in store trying to find the best one, only to open it up and realize something I didn't expect or wasn't looking for was a problem. I usually try and catch the big 3: Paint slop, missing paint apps, duplicate parts (hands and thighs on wrong side, etc.). Sometime you miss the outlier issues.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Last week, I found a completely empty Peter/Ned box, hidden behind some MotU Masterverse packages. That was just blatant theft though; can't blame it on blind packaging. Thieves could have done the same thing with window packaging.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Enforcer wrote:
This assumes that the factory defects are happening with more regularity in the new packaging. I know it's certainly getting more attention because people were already up in arms about not seeing the product and each instance of it proves their point.

I'd be very curious to see how often this happened before compared to know. Assuming it's probably the same (just over reported now) - vendors would be in the same boat over the same issues with QC.

A point that is often brought up and not given it's proper weight - for a large portion of people who order online, the windowless packaging means nothing. You get shipped what you get shipped and if there are issues you send it back, the same as you always would. For that reason I doubt the margin for returned product is higher - even if it was unopened or not. I assume most people don't realize there is a problem until it's out of the package and in hand.

There have been a few times I look at a bunch of the same figure in store trying to find the best one, only to open it up and realize something I didn't expect or wasn't looking for was a problem. I usually try and catch the big 3: Paint slop, missing paint apps, duplicate parts (hands and thighs on wrong side, etc.). Sometime you miss the outlier issues.
You are correct that a lot, maybe even most, QC issues are found and returned after opening a product. But some amount of QC issues are caught by consumers before ever opening the product. Some of those consumers will be picky and pass, others (maybe even most) won't care as much and will buy it anyway.

Now no QC issues can be found. You have to open everything before returning it. There has to be more opened (used) returns as a result. How many, I don't know. But unless Hasbro has been more careful, there will be opened returns in instances where they otherwise wouldn't be (Such as my case).

And it's not just an in-store issue, it's online too, My instance was online. I would have returned a new product if it had a window, instead I had to return a used one. I'm sure Amazon would have sold my return at full price to someone else. Now it will be an "Amazon Deal".
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:48 pm

christianpyro wrote:
Enforcer wrote:

You are correct that a lot, maybe even most, QC issues are found and returned after opening a product. But some amount of QC issues are caught by consumers before ever opening the product. Some of those consumers will be picky and pass, others (maybe even most) won't care as much and will buy it anyway.

Now no QC issues can be found. You have to open everything before returning it. There has to be more opened (used) returns as a result. How many, I don't know. But unless Hasbro has been more careful, there will be opened returns in instances where they otherwise wouldn't be (Such as my case).

And it's not just an in-store issue, it's online too, My instance was online. I would have returned a new product if it had a window, instead I had to return a used one. I'm sure Amazon would have sold my return at full price to someone else. Now it will be an "Amazon Deal".
I feel like the amount of product that could potentially be returned "unopened" is pretty small. Besides which, Amazon asks you for a reason why you're returning the item, and bad QC would probably result in identifying a product defect by the customer - which means the return will likely be destroyed or sent back to Hasbro. Not super likely there is an attempt to re-sell the item.

The point is I feel like the real difference in "defective returns" as a result of the blind packaging now is in reality probably negligible. It would be interesting to see the numbers - but the social media prevalence of these instances is highly subjective and everyone wants to promote issues because finding reasons to fault Hasbro is just the thing to do.
thekunk2075
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:18 am

I've had bent knees on every windowless figure I've gotten
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:27 am

Rob W wrote:Got my Negative set over the weekend (UK retailer).

First experience of the new plasticless packaging - requires a bit of reverse origami to wrangle the figures out, but I kinda like the little baggies that all the various accessories come in. One issue though - the legs on both figures were bent inwards at the knee, presumably from being held in the cardboard tray (which has slots the characters sit within). Combined with the little dress shoes both guys are wearing, which make it tricky to adjust the foot hinge, these guys are tough to stand. Will have to do the hot water reset on the legs.

On the plus side, the accessory selection is great and I like the alternate masks - will have to track down another suited body, as I think 2 demon goons will probably do me.

Hope this set hits the US soon. Mister Negative is a big want of mine. Easily my favorite modern Spidey villain. Feels like he’ll be the only modern one with any staying power.

sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 am

Do you really consider bent knees (or arms) a QC issue? It takes a hair dryer and about 15 secs to fix that.
TinkerersAssistant02
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:45 am

Enforcer wrote:
christianpyro wrote:
Enforcer wrote:

I feel like the amount of product that could potentially be returned "unopened" is pretty small. Besides which, Amazon asks you for a reason why you're returning the item, and bad QC would probably result in identifying a product defect by the customer - which means the return will likely be destroyed or sent back to Hasbro. Not super likely there is an attempt to re-sell the item.

The point is I feel like the real difference in "defective returns" as a result of the blind packaging now is in reality probably negligible. It would be interesting to see the numbers - but the social media prevalence of these instances is highly subjective and everyone wants to promote issues because finding reasons to fault Hasbro is just the thing to do.
Zombie F-Body wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:37 am
Well I got my Amazon order of pieces of various Marvel Legends figures from a friendly customizer asshat, oh, wait that was supposed to be Spider-Man and Spinneret! Love this Earth-friendly BS. So now I'm fighting with Amazon to get a replacement or refund. It was an obvious return because it came in a plastic wrap bag. Hasbro, done with you.

Edit: We have no record of your item being shipped. Can't do anything. Looking to be out $60 now but if anyone needs a severed torso from Eel and Pepper Potts hit me up!

Edit 2: Sorry, just really pissed. I think any return in the blind packaging needs to go straight back to Hasbro and not put back on shelves or shipped to other customers. No telling what is in there. Putting collectors on the honor system was a BAD idea.
Enforcer, in case you missed the example from Zombie a couple pages back, I quoted his post above. So a resale of a not-suitable-for-resale return can happen, but hopefully not very often. And in this case, I'd place blame with how Amazon handled the return before pointing fingers at Hasbro. Though, this level of swapping was probably only made easier by a windowless package. Just have to hope instances like this are few and far between.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:13 am

thekunk2075 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:18 am
I've had bent knees on every windowless figure I've gotten

Hmm. I was curious about this. I figured the windowless packaging would improve the warped limb issue.

Has this been everyone else's experience as well?
Scotch n Ciggs
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 am

Enforcer wrote:

Probably has increased since workers can get away with it more easily now. Or it's stayed the same but quality control has gotten slack since they can pass along subpar work easier now.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”