2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
OhmaTime
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm

When it looks less natural because it is only tilting on the very top, instead of using both balls a barbell provides? I'm not saying a hinge can't get tilt, I'm saying it isn't as good as a barbell. Especially when barbells CAN get the range forward/back as a hinge.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 pm

vicious7171 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:00 pm
BILLIUM wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 pm
NORM wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pm
I don't even really see a benefit to a neck barbell giving a head tilt. Only head tilt I like is from dogs.
Same here. I can get some tilting on a neck hinge, just like Stark Resilient said. I don't need any more than what the hinged necks provide. I feel like any more tilting than that is just unnecessary and unnatural. I mean, how many iconic poses are there where someone is tilting their neck in a funny position vs looking up for flight, fight, and swinging poses?
People typically tilt their neck when throwing punches. Just about any actual action pose requires the neck to tilt if you want it to really look accurate to the flow of the body.

I don't even know why this is a discussion when Hasbro's own Classified figures at the same price point have barbell necks with hinge tops, allowing them neck tilt AND a head that can look up or down quite a bit. They're clearly doing it better the ML team. Although if you don't like the cut at the bottom of the neck caused by the barbell, that's something I completely understand.
The neck barbell with hinge top has gotten much, much better results from the few figures I've seen with it. I'm not crazy about the cut at the bottom of the neck, but it does look really nice on figures with, say, a collar or something along those lines to mask it. It's funny, ToyBiz was doing neck joints like that way back in the early days of Marvel Legends.

As for the neck tilt when punching thing, I can't find any pics or situations that requires barbell joint levels of tilt. If anyone has some examples, or pics of a figure using this, I'd genuinely like to see them. Are we talking about when a person dodges their head/neck from an oncoming blow, or...?
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Can there just be a concession made that either approach to neck articulation has advantages and disadvantages - some of which are subjective to the opinions of each person?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:24 pm

vicious7171 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:00 pm
if you don't like the cut at the bottom of the neck caused by the barbell, that's something I completely understand.
This is my issue with Retro Spidey. There's such a gap between the head and the neck, it's SO unsightly. I've seen female figures with a similar gap, like the head is just too high on the neck peg. BUUUT the females usually have hair that covers it. With Spidey, it's so glaring. War Machine has an awesome barbell neck. The Shang Chi MCU figures have really good execution. And Classified is doing it really well. Actually, they're doing it best because there's also articulation at the bottom of the neck, above the clavicles. Specifically, on Retro Spidey, it's executed so poorly. When it's the flagship character, it is SO MUCH more annoying. I don't even display Retro Spidey.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm

I want toe articulation back, ESPECIALLY for Spidey!!

Has Hasbro ever said why they never do that one, even if only for Spider-Man? That's a great next Q&A question.
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Enforcer wrote:
Can there just be a concession made that either approach to neck articulation has advantages and disadvantages - some of which are subjective to the opinions of each person?
You stop it.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 pm

JPC wrote:
I want toe articulation back, ESPECIALLY for Spidey!!

Has Hasbro ever said why they never do that one, even if only for Spider-Man? That's a great next Q&A question.
I miss it, too. Beast only made it more clear just how much I miss it on those super articulated characters. It was cool for running and crouching poses. Maybe once we get a pinless Spider-Man, that's how they'll get us to buy yet another Spider-Man.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 pm

I wonder if there's a way to do a pinless toe hinge. I guess the toes would have to be cast in ABS, and the PVC foot would be injection molded around it...
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 pm

NORM wrote:
I wonder if there's a way to do a pinless toe hinge. I guess the toes would have to be cast in ABS, and the PVC foot would be injection molded around it...
Yeah, that would be great! My only concern is if they could pull it off with that joint being much smaller than a knee or elbow joint. I would hope it's easily doable, though.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm

Yes to the toe hinge. Spidey needs it for that proper 4 point crouch. Does it really need to be a pinless toe hinge though? Can't they just do the metal pin for that joint? It's pretty small.

The barbell is a superior joint....if properly executed. As it stands right now, the hinge/ball combo worked better than the barbell on Retro Spidey. Ideally I'd love the GI Joe double jointed neck setup.

Wall crawling hands need to be included as well. It's silly Retro Spidey didn't have them. The TRU 2-Pack hands worked perfectly and were a perfect color match.

They also need to size the shoulders properly if they are going to use the same arms from Retro Spidey again.
vicious7171
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 pm

BILLIUM wrote:
As for the neck tilt when punching thing, I can't find any pics or situations that requires barbell joint levels of tilt. If anyone has some examples, or pics of a figure using this, I'd genuinely like to see them. Are we talking about when a person dodges their head/neck from an oncoming blow, or...?
I don't have any photos atm, but you can see what I mean by googling boxing punches. Sometimes it's tilt, little bit of rotation, a combination of both. If you are right handed and rear back to throw a big haymaker, you'll feel it in the right side of your neck as you naturally tilt your head to the left. I guess my point is that the neck naturally moves in combination with the head. A better example is looking at the poor saps being punched. Their necks strain and tilt to keep their heads attached to their torsos :lol:

In practice, I use it mostly for looking up and down. Sure, Legends can look up or down, but it's a little odd how the neck is completely static as you go towards either extreme. My wave 1 Classified Duke has good range looking up or down with the disc hinge, while getting another 15 degrees or so up and down with the neck from the barbell joint, without creating any ugly (IMO) gaps. This added range also helps hide the disc in the neck as you can sort of split the difference between two joints instead of making one work overtime (similar to bicep swivel + double elbows vs single rotating joint elbows). Bucky Cap Legends just lower their chin to their neck; it's an odd way to look down.

Not every figure or line needs this, but it can be done well and will add some personality to figures for those who really want to really go nuts with dynamic poses.

EDIT: Just a couple quick photos of the up-down tilt range with barbell + disc hinge combo:
Spoiler! :
ImageImage
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 pm

Off Topic
BILLIUM wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 pm
NORM wrote:
Yeah, that would be great! My only concern is if they could pull it off with that joint being much smaller than a knee or elbow joint. I would hope it's easily doable, though.
The pinless joints are made the same way Hasbro have been making swivel/hinge joints for years, if they can make tiny joints on 3.75 SW and Joe figures they can manage it on Spidey.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:50 pm

It should be noted that the Classified neck set up IS NOT the same as a barbell neck joint like Retro Spidey has. Classified figures have a disc hinge plugging into the head at the top of the neck, and a barbell at the base of the neck into the torso.

Retro Spidey has a barbell, where the joint itself is shaped like a barbell, a short shaft with a ball peg on either side. The way it's executed on Retro Spidey creates too much gap between the head and the neck, making it look like the head is hanging by a thread.

Classified set up is probably the ideal set up, as long as it's functional.

One of the other problems with barbell neck joints is sometimes the barbell pops out of the wrong end. Like when you want to swap a head, and the peg stays in the head rather than the neck. I've run into this issue with Super7 TMNT figures.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:01 pm

Stark Resilient wrote:
Enforcer wrote:
You stop it.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhht lol
StjJames
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:02 pm

Since this year is Spider-Man’s 60th and Marvel legends 20th anniversary, this is would be a perfect time to get a Marvel Team-up 2 pack line of figures. Imagine 10 sets of figures recreating some of Spider-Man’s and other heroes most memorable team up’s from the comics. Especially those that never had a figure.

Doc Savage
Nomad
Star Fox (MTU 143)
Capt. Marvel (MTU 142)

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”