2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2022 Spider-man line and 60th Spidey

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 am

MagnusPrimal wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:17 pm
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends is my favorite Spidey cartoon. And I’m fully aware of it’s shortcomings. I’m still waiting for a three-pack with a proper Iceman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want video man sooo freaking bad!
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 am

Stark Resilient wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 pm
Collector4612 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:57 pm
Rektangular has another new video, rehashing a lot of what's been posted here and elsewhere, but it did have a few new bits. Supposedly we're getting a Bagman figure, which honestly is long overdue and I'm surprised it took this long, given we've had the F4 body for years now.
... and that would be the other target exclusive figure
you sure they're all target exclusive
I've heard bagman and negative are the target exclusives

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 am

garrettlcustoms wrote:
Stark Resilient wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Bombastic Bagman wears a Fantastic Four suit... the Fantastic Four wear blue...

(Maniacal save money live better laughter echoes ominously in the distance)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Haha yeah wouldn't shock me if he went to Walmart either lol.

But I just assumed with hearing they were going to target they may spit out another retro grouping display like they did basically twice with (gambit, rogue, storm, negative zone spidey, and cyborg)

Figured this time starlord and another f4 figure might end up as a part of that too.

Always open to info changing though

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 am

RoboKillah wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:31 pm
If you want to look at bad spidey cartoons, look at everything that came before the 90s series and everything that came after spectacular. Now THOSE are pretty terrible in comparison.
You shut your damn mouth, besmirching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.
Don't get me wrong, I love amazing friends. But is it "good" eh.... no not really.

Is it nostalgic and fun and goofy as hell to watch? Absolutely!

Sidewinder
Super Poseable

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 am

Valo487 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm
sephiroth61787 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm
DREAMS DO COME TRUE! An ML Toei Spider-Man. F YEAH!!
I say this with absolutely no judgment, I’m genuinely curious, why was this something you wanted so much? I know of Toei Spider-Man but never really gave it much thought otherwise.
Toei Spider-Man has been on my short list for awhile now. I like the design of the eyes and the strangely weird left arm bracelet.

If you want a good summary (minus the seriousness) of Toei Spider-Man, then check this out:

https://youtu.be/d5NCSx5HF8c
Valo487
CROM!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 am

Sidewinder wrote:
Valo487 wrote:
sephiroth61787 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm
DREAMS DO COME TRUE! An ML Toei Spider-Man. F YEAH!!
I say this with absolutely no judgment, I’m genuinely curious, why was this something you wanted so much? I know of Toei Spider-Man but never really gave it much thought otherwise.
Toei Spider-Man has been on my short list for awhile now. I like the design of the eyes and the strangely weird left arm bracelet.

If you want a good summary (minus the seriousness) of Toei Spider-Man, then check this out:

That was tremendous. I am eagerly looking forward to this figure now.
Sidewinder
Super Poseable

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:16 am

Valo487 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 am
Sidewinder wrote:
Valo487 wrote:

That was tremendous. I am eagerly looking forward to this figure now.
My work here is done! :lol:

Now to find a sub machine gun for the Marvel Legends Toei Spider-Man to carry! :wink:

And if anyone wantsto learn a little bit about the real world history of this show (along with some funny jokes), Toy Galaxy did a Toei Spider-Man episode a few years back: https://youtu.be/OXnHKbTlUWE
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 am

RoboKillah wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:31 pm
If you want to look at bad spidey cartoons, look at everything that came before the 90s series and everything that came after spectacular. Now THOSE are pretty terrible in comparison.
You shut your damn mouth, besmirching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.
Preach it brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=RickyLee=
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:40 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 pm
Mark_Bowen wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm
maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm
So from some of the lists I'm seeing around, there's an Amazing Fantasy #15 Spider-man and a cartoon based Spider-man figure coming?

I'm guessing the cartoon Spider-man is a cell shaded repaint of the Retro Spider-man?

What's the thought on FA Spider-man? They can't use the Retro sculpt for that one can they? He's too buff for Amazing Fantasy. But they wouldn't go back to Pizza Spidey would they? Would we really get an all new sculpt?

Each year I swear I'm done with buying Spideys….and each year I somehow end up with another one.
I think your guess is probably right about cartoon Spider-Man, though I'd personally rather it be the '60s cartoon one.

As for FA, the retro body might be too beefy to match the interiors, but it wouldn't be too far off from Kirby's buffer cover.
Retro Spidey's even already got the Ditko head ready to be reused. Even if they don't end up using that body, I'd be really surprised if FA received any new sculpting, what with the plethora of medium base bodies Hasbro has accumulated.
So they'd potentially just re-use the Retro body....with one of the heads it already comes with and call it a FA Spidey? What's the difference at that point? Paint the blue darker (almost black) and add the winged webbing? That seems like it would be a pretty weak release.

It would also be really weird to have this spidey and cartoon spidey out there at the same time. At that point they'd pretty much be two identical figures with different paint jobs and both probably be lesser versions of last years Spidey.

I'm not saying you're wrong btw. I'm just personally hoping that FA Spidey is an all new dedicated sculpt with all the extras. Even though FA isn't my favorite look, going all out on him feels like the proper way to celebrate the character for the 60th.
Do people not realize that 1960s-1970s Spidey has very particular colors, weblines, chest and back insignias? A first appearance would be different from a Romita, which would differ from Animated 90s, which would differ from Toei, which would differ from anything modern. Are they all essentially blue & red Spider-Men? Yes. Has Hasbro given me the perfect red and sky blue Romita/Kane/Andru inspired Spidey yet that will fit in a classic display? No, not yet.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:33 am

I’m saying FA shouldn’t be on the retro buck. It doesn’t work….
Yarlick
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Has the Toei Spidey been confirmed? If so….I’ll soooooooo grab it.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:02 pm

=RickyLee= wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:40 am
Do people not realize that 1960s-1970s Spidey has very particular colors, weblines, chest and back insignias? A first appearance would be different from a Romita, which would differ from Animated 90s, which would differ from Toei, which would differ from anything modern. Are they all essentially blue & red Spider-Men? Yes. Has Hasbro given me the perfect red and sky blue Romita/Kane/Andru inspired Spidey yet that will fit in a classic display? No, not yet.
maverick10126 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:33 am
I’m saying FA shouldn’t be on the retro buck. It doesn’t work….

Which part of the retro sculpt, specifically, doesn't work for first appearance? EVERYTHING RickyLee pointed out that's different--the colors, weblines, and chest/back insignias--are all painted onto the retro body, so certainly all of those can be changed to match first appearance. What you said before that RickyLee was disagreeing with is that just a new paint job is a cheap-out, but RickyLee affirmed that the paint matters.

The only difference I see between the retro sculpt and the first appearance art is Spidey's musculature as rendered by Ditko, and that's always different for every artist. Hasbro RARELY sculpts specifically to match one artist, although the retro Spidey himself is an interesting exception given that he's a pretty close match to Romita's art. I doubt they go for a slimmer Ditko build given that they just skipped that kind of artist-specific precision for Symbiote Spidey and Ben Reilly, nor am I sure I'd prefer it given how much more aesthetically pleasing Romita's bodies are.
Dorlando_calrissian
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm

I think it might be slightly more accurate to put AF15 Spider-Man on the miles or spider armor body, but I think we all know they will just paint the retro one red and black and change the symbols and maybe the webbing if we’re lucky
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:17 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 am
Stark Resilient wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

I've heard bagman and negative are the target exclusives

whoever told you that may want to double check that
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:18 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 pm
Warning! FRAT! :
Mark_Bowen wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm
maverick10126 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm
So from some of the lists I'm seeing around, there's an Amazing Fantasy #15 Spider-man and a cartoon based Spider-man figure coming?

I'm guessing the cartoon Spider-man is a cell shaded repaint of the Retro Spider-man?

What's the thought on FA Spider-man? They can't use the Retro sculpt for that one can they? He's too buff for Amazing Fantasy. But they wouldn't go back to Pizza Spidey would they? Would we really get an all new sculpt?

Each year I swear I'm done with buying Spideys….and each year I somehow end up with another one.
I think your guess is probably right about cartoon Spider-Man, though I'd personally rather it be the '60s cartoon one.

As for FA, the retro body might be too beefy to match the interiors, but it wouldn't be too far off from Kirby's buffer cover.
Retro Spidey's even already got the Ditko head ready to be reused. Even if they don't end up using that body, I'd be really surprised if FA received any new sculpting, what with the plethora of medium base bodies Hasbro has accumulated.
So they'd potentially just re-use the Retro body....with one of the heads it already comes with and call it a FA Spidey? What's the difference at that point? Paint the blue darker (almost black) and add the winged webbing? That seems like it would be a pretty weak release.

It would also be really weird to have this spidey and cartoon spidey out there at the same time. At that point they'd pretty much be two identical figures with different paint jobs and both probably be lesser versions of last years Spidey.

I'm not saying you're wrong btw. I'm just personally hoping that FA Spidey is an all new dedicated sculpt with all the extras. Even though FA isn't my favorite look, going all out on him feels like the proper way to celebrate the character for the 60th.

FA is one of my most desired Spidey looks at this point (maybe even #1), so I completely get wanting it to get all the bells and whistles. And they totally could give it to him, who knows! My track record on Legends predictions is pretty weak, aha. That said, since I'm already making predictions on this fig, I'm going to fully call my shot here and say:

Retro Spidey body w/ Ditko squinty-eyed head + all 3 sets of hands + retro Peter Parker spider-sense head & the glasses head, but without the glasses and slightly retooled to fill in the holes left in his sideburns by the glasses.

Oh, and most objectionably: I'm not convinced it'll even come with the arm webbing. But if it does, then that could mean he gets newly sculpted biceps, at least, to accommodate holes to plug the webbing into.

Enforcer wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 am
Warning! FRAT! :
Dorlando_calrissian wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:23 pm
I think they might put the first appearance Spider-Man on the miles ps5/spider armor body? I agree the retro version would be too big
It's... got very specific sculpted detail.
Maybe they'll bring back the teen body they put Ultimate Spider-Man on.
You know, that thought occurred to me, but I sure hope that's not the body they use. Though it probably is the closest match to Spidey's build inside AF #15 in Hasbro's arsenal, I'd much prefer having the retro body's butterfly & diaphragm joints, even if the resulting combination of bulk & paint means the figure is more of a “1.5th appearance” than “1st.”

Hey, speaking of first appearance Spidey, am I the only one who'd also happily take one in orange & purple, the way Ditko originally intended?
Oh, I am? Okay, nevermind.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”