2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
fac
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:09 pm
fac wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:04 pm
I will Monday Morning Quarterback just a bit in wondering why they modified the MODOK sculpt so you couldn't interchange the retail release face plates and hair. Or, utilizing that design, sold the Captain with the Elvis hair and faceplate as an accessory if you already had MODOK and priced it at $40.
Just a guess: when they originally made MODOK, they probably weren't thinking about the Nextwave version. Nextwave's MODOKs don't have the purple headband, so the face is a different shape. Without being able to remove the hair on original MODOK, you wouldn't be able to make Elvis MODOK. Looking at the two, I don't really see how you'd make them work with each other unless you went back in time and redesigned old MODOK so that you're swapping the entire head/headband/hair instead of just the face. (and, of course, you'd need to replace the "joystick" from original MODOK so it's the microphone from nextwave, and the little waveform thing on the original that is a cheeseburger launcher on the Nextwave one).
Pulling apart the retail MODOK, I suspect you can interchange "Elvis" with the retail release. I forgot the purple band is a separate piece, which is where I thought they had modified the retail version to remove that. You can remove the hair, it and the band slide right off, on the retail version. So Hasbro could have just provided the new face and hair sections.

I get what they did is more accurate with the microphone, etc., but they are not always that precise with accuracy.
fac
CROM!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:11 pm
I'll just... wait for the news to drop immediately after... for free?
Typical of the great unwashed, wanting something for nothing.

But I do suspect that a benevolent Premium Member such as I may grace you with the news. Maybe.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm

fac wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 pm
Enforcer wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:11 pm
I'll just... wait for the news to drop immediately after... for free?
Typical of the great unwashed, wanting something for nothing.

But I do suspect that a benevolent Premium Member such as I may grace you with the news. Maybe.
:lol:

And should that come to pass we, the peasants, will shower you in gratitude and the status of a religious deity.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:04 pm

since it's nothing big maybe they will just announce Storm and Jean for the TAS wave since we already know they are happening from the figure description :lol:
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 pm

minitaur wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:34 pm
Does Hasbro hate money? Or does Hasbro think they could make more money selling Elvis MODOK than Banshee? I don't understand why Hasbro wouldn't do both, unless they could only do one. I'm using "Banshee" as a proxy for any of a myriad of top requested figures that have been desired for years. Substitute in any of another bunch of figures that would have outsold Elvis MODOK.

Why wouldn't Hasbro "want" to make Banshee now, if not for limited resources?
"Why doesn't Hasbro just immediately release all of the highest requested figures right this minute, if not for limited resources" is... a weird question?

Even if Hasbro *could* release every top requested figure immediately, they have no incentive to do so, because their goal is not "immediately fulfill all top requested figure demands," but "continue to keep the Marvel Legends brand viable for years to come." That means that they will release a mix of top requested figures and B and C list figures and niche/obscure characters. Which is why the whole "MODOK (or insert weird/obscure character of choice) is taking up Banshee's (or insert top requested/high demand character of choice)" argument is nonsense. The goal isn't now and has never been to churn out all of the highest demanded characters as fast as possible, and a decision not to make MODOK would not inherently turn into a decision TO make Banshee or whoever. That's not how they do character choice and never has been. They very clearly make a concentrated effort to do deep dives into the Marvel universe and to release weird/obscure characters with some regularity, and that's not because they hate money or whatever pithy retort you want to throw out. It's precisely the opposite: releasing a variety of characters from A to Z list actually helps them keep the line alive.

Hasbro doesn't want to make all of the high demand characters right now because keeping some of them in reserve means they can release them in later waves as anchors and to build hype. Having those anchors means they can ALSO release weird shit like Elvis MODOK, the serpent society, the Reavers, etc.

The ML team obviously understands that some characters have more demand than others, and they sometimes deliberately choose to release less popular/less in demand characters. That's not by accident.
Do people who make the unlimited resource argument have a job? I have a job and when my boss wants me to work on X project, it means I cannot work on Y project, which gets delayed, and sometimes cancelled. The scupltor who worked on Elvis MODOK only had finite hours in the day and couldn't work on sculpting a different figure instead, perhaps Banshee.
Again, this is facile. Obviously, yes, there are a limited number of hours or a limited number of sculptors, etc. There is zero reason to believe that the people who worked on MODOK would have been assigned to work on Banshee or some other high demand character, instead. The whole "they worked on this obscure character, and it took this popular character's spot!" argument fails because there's zero reason to believe that Banshee (or some other super popular character) was the backup choice. If it wasn't Elvis MODOK, maybe it would have been some equally obscure character. Maybe it would have been Phone Ranger or Wolverine wearing a diaper or Colossus in overalls.

"Character X took Character Y's spot!" is silly.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:48 pm

Samael13 wrote:

Again, this is facile. Obviously, yes, there are a limited number of hours or a limited number of sculptors, etc. There is zero reason to believe that the people who worked on MODOK would have been assigned to work on Banshee or some other high demand character, instead. The whole "they worked on this obscure character, and it took this popular character's spot!" argument fails because there's zero reason to believe that Banshee (or some other super popular character) was the backup choice. If it wasn't Elvis MODOK, maybe it would have been some equally obscure character. Maybe it would have been Phone Ranger or Wolverine wearing a diaper or Colossus in overalls.

I think we have common ground. I agree, Character X took Character's Y spot is silly, if you are defining a specific Character Y.

It's silly to say Elvis MODOK took the spot of Banshee. But, it's not silly to say he took the spot of some other Character Y. We can't know what character he took the place of, but we can know he took some other character's spot because the alternative to sculpting Elvis MODOK wasn't doing nothing. It was doing something different. Because, limited resources.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 pm

minitaur wrote:
Samael13 wrote:

I think we have common ground. I agree, Character X took Character's Y spot is silly, if you are defining a specific Character Y.

It's silly to say Elvis MODOK took the spot of Banshee. But, it's not silly to say he took the spot of some other Character Y. We can't know what character he took the place of, but we can know he took some other character's spot because the alternative to sculpting Elvis MODOK wasn't doing nothing. It was doing something different. Because, limited resources.
all it means is he likely took the spot of another character that people would feel divisive about. and likely wouldn't be an A-lister. So in theory we likely could be having this discussion and you feeling the same way regardless
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 pm

based on the new tease from ryan... looks like morph is being teased for weds
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:33 pm

minitaur wrote:

Sure, "If they hadn't made Elvis MODOK, they would have made some other non-Elvis MODOK character" is probably true, but, also... what does that actually, meaningfully, tell us?

Maybe they would have made a much-demanded character, but maybe they wouldn't have. Maybe that character would have been just as niche and obscure as Elvis MODOK? Maybe it would have been a character with even *less* broad appeal? Sure, maybe it would have been an Outback X-Men box set, instead, but there's just no way to know who they actually would have otherwise made. It just makes statements like "The real shame is that we see massive supply chain shortages so this exclusive took up precious factory and ship cargo space that something else could have been. Like the Banshee everyone has wanted for years." kind of meaningless. You could say the same thing about literally any figure that isn't one of the top requested, couldn't you? Is it really a "shame" just because it's not a character that has as much demand as some other character, or is it a testament to the legs of the line that they can pull some deep cuts?
SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm

We keep getting Morphs and the chance of the Morph with the most comic appearances keeps slipping away.
iskopower
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:05 pm

So it looks like Venom is sold out now. Luckily I was able to get a second one today for me to open. To be honest, I didn't think he would last the day, but he was available through Sunday up until this morning.

There's still a lot of the MODOK though. That's not going to be moving for a while.
fingfangfoom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 pm

So, is Morph gonna be a regular release with minimal paint apps, or are they gonna paint him with cell-shading as part of the VHS line?
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:35 pm

fingfangfoom wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 pm
So, is Morph gonna be a regular release with minimal paint apps, or are they gonna paint him with cell-shading as part of the VHS line?
Probably the latter. But hopefully it's easy to take the cell shading off, or they re-paint and re-release him a year or two down the line.
VonDoom62
CROM!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:41 pm

gpmartin414 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 pm
Yeah, I don’t see the problem with exclusives being available for a few days. To me, it seems like animated Venom was the perfect exclusive (popular enough but not the only opportunity to get the character) and produced in the right number of units. Fans had a couple days to get him and Hasbro isn’t stuck storing thousands of units indefinitely.

Elvis MODOK seems like the opposite, though. He will be available for a while. Way too niche. Still, Hasbro is going to have plenty of swings and misses when they’re releasing 100+ characters a wave for, what, five years in a row.

On a related note, I was charged for Venom. Wonder if it ships this week. Also wonder if he will be a one-off and the only cell-shaded Spidey animated character given they put him on the retro card and not the VHS box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the upcoming retro carded Hobgoblin is anything to go by, Venom is a special exception and any other Spider-Man animated figures released will lack cel shading. Which does make sense, since Venom technically doesn't have 'cel shading.' No matter the lighting of the scene, the red and blue highlights are consistently throughout the same areas on his body. I always thought it was to imply the symbiote had an oily sheen while also tying it back to its original host: Spider-Man.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 pm

I mean, I can tell you I would have gotten the Venom if it didn't have cell shading. I'm sure they'll eventually re-release it without the shading, and there are other passable Venom figures I can have in my collection for now, so I didn't buy it. When they release one without the red and blue, I'll be quick to pre-order it. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”