2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Avon
Runs Around in Tights

Re: 2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:06 am

Like a lot of what came up. Would have MUCH preferred the animated figs without cel shading though. And it super bugs me that the Vulcan buck seems to not be able to put its arms by its sides. Hopefully I’m wrong on that but it’s a major bug bear when figures can’t do that. Excited to see more of the toybiz stuff.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 am

JPC wrote:I'm all for exclusives being available, but I think the "slow" sales are really customers telling Hasbro these price hikes have got to stop. I would love it if all of these price-gouged items sit in their warehouses longer than the Eternals wave did.

I know nothing about Nextwave but I like the look of The Captain and MODOK is stupid ridiculous. At $50, sure. But $74+ tax, so over $80? Joke's not that funny.

Hopefully Hasbro will listen. But I'm not naive enough to think they care.
Hasbro really can’t do anything about the price hikes though. That is an industry wide problem since we are in the middle of a plastic shortage and an oil shortage. So unless they want to loose money by spending more upfront on the materials, entirely out of pocket without the ability to recoup their losses from us, the consumer, then that’s a surefire way to go out of business real quick.

I know this is a hard lesson in economics but we just can’t expect Hasbro to produce over 2 billion units of action figures a year only for us to turn around and slap them in the face and say we’ll only pay for about 20% of that because we’re stuck in the glory days of $9 legends and we refuse to believe that inflation is a thing. It just doesn’t work that way. Not to mention all these characters are licensed so that adds to the cost significantly. There’s a reason why generic figures can be sold at the dollar store while marvel legends commands a $25-$30 price point.

So we have to face the music and accept the fact that we have no negotiating power here. We can threaten to stomp our feet until changes are made but Hasbro is still stuck with the tab at the end of the day. And if they go under, it means no more marvel legends and shame on us for not supporting them when we could have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:55 pm

I'm seeing 4 units of Venom left. FOMO kicked in and I just bought one plus Trapper Wolf for free shipping. :oops:
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm

And venom is sold out hope everyone who wanted one got one
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:11 pm

People are seriously complaining that con exclusives aren't selling out in minutes like they used to?
Shut the front door.

I know there's no pleasing everyone, but I would *vastly* prefer that exclusives were available for a week than to have them vanish the second they hit only to quadruple in price on the aftermarket. Nextwave MODOK isn't taking Banshee's spot, so speculating "imagine if they did something completely different from what they did" is pointless. Imagine if they did an Outback X-Men boxset but only made 1,000 of them, instead! They'd have sold out instantly (which I guess is the measure of success?). Imagine if they did replacement legs for everyone's janky Sentinel legs instead! Imagine if they did the Punisher's van, instead!

MODOK isn't the reason we don't have Banshee yet. That's just not how it works.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm

JPC wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 am
I'm all for exclusives being available, but I think the "slow" sales are really customers telling Hasbro these price hikes have got to stop. I would love it if all of these price-gouged items sit in their warehouses longer than the Eternals wave did.

I know nothing about Nextwave but I like the look of The Captain and MODOK is stupid ridiculous. At $50, sure. But $74+ tax, so over $80? Joke's not that funny.

It won't teach them anything about price hikes, but it will teach them about making one-off exclusives based on niche, 15-year-old comics.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:54 pm

I get the concern over things not selling out fast like they used to as a general indication of the popularity of the line, but since we really have no idea how many they made available in previous years I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe they upped the available count, who knows. I think there were 7000 of both of these available on Pulse. I can't imagine they made more than 500 to 1000 available for something like 2019 Hulk since he sold out in minutes.

Plus with previous con exclusives they saved a huge chunk--maybe it was half, maybe it was far more--for con attenders that weren't made available online. These sets were all online, so of course there are going to be more available online.

Since we don't know the past counts so I wouldn't worry about it. These two sets sold out more slowly than the Hellfire Club last year, but I don't recall if we looked at the counts for those, either, so there's no conclusion to be drawn without knowing how many they made available for sale.
MarvelLegendsMan
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Elvis MODOK isn't selling out because it's from a comic very few people are familiar with, and a ridiculous alternate look for a figure that just released in his normal, recognizable look a few months ago - and didn't sell too well either (I'm one of the idiots who pre-ordered the regular MODOK at full price, so I know).

Sure, a few people bought it - and if you're here, I hope you love it. Maybe a few were even hoping for it. But, really, we all engage in wishlisting here all the time. Idk about you, but I haven't seen Elvis MODOK come up in too many wishlist thread posts.

No one bought this because no one wanted this to begin with. If this was something most of us collectors wanted, it would have sold out quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 pm

For sure, I don't think Elvis MODOK was burning up a lot of wish lists, but that's precisely why I think it's the kind of exclusive that is perfect. It's a ridiculous, fun figure that some people can feel free to skip. It will eventually sell out, it hits a sweet spot for people who know the comic or who just like really silly characters. How long were we dealing with exclusives that were much-demanded figures and then people were bitter and pissed off when they couldn't get them because they sold out almost instantly and there was little hope that they'd be re-released?

I'll take "weird/fringe/niche characters that aren't on any wish lists but that are genuinely fun characters that are available for long enough that anyone who wants them can get them" over "much wanted characters/high demand versions of characters that vanish almost instantly and leave everyone pissed that they couldn't get them and have to track them down on the aftermarket" every year if I have my choice. I'll be totally happy if I never see another exclusive that sells out the same day it drops again.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm

JPC wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 am
I'm all for exclusives being available, but I think the "slow" sales are really customers telling Hasbro these price hikes have got to stop. I would love it if all of these price-gouged items sit in their warehouses longer than the Eternals wave did.

i'm not really sure what people are calling "slow sales"

stores are clearancing items in mere weeks of them being first put out on shelves... and we just got hit with 5 waves this month

I'm not seeing slow sales, i'm seeing droughts and when items come in, they already have to clearance them to make room for what's coming next.

now the exclusives are slower at selling.. but i think over the years they've been much better at stocking them too. I don't think the prices for this year are much crazier than previous years
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Yeah, I don’t see the problem with exclusives being available for a few days. To me, it seems like animated Venom was the perfect exclusive (popular enough but not the only opportunity to get the character) and produced in the right number of units. Fans had a couple days to get him and Hasbro isn’t stuck storing thousands of units indefinitely.

Elvis MODOK seems like the opposite, though. He will be available for a while. Way too niche. Still, Hasbro is going to have plenty of swings and misses when they’re releasing 100+ characters a wave for, what, five years in a row.

On a related note, I was charged for Venom. Wonder if it ships this week. Also wonder if he will be a one-off and the only cell-shaded Spidey animated character given they put him on the retro card and not the VHS box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
minitaur
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm

I find it amusing that some people argue it’s price hikes that led to poor sales of exclusives. As if any of the previously listed potential exclusives like Outback X-men, Punisher’s Van, Banshee, etc, would not have immediately sold out even if they were priced 30% higher than most thought was “fair”.

A retro carded Banshee absolutely would have sold out even if priced at $30 with no accessories. How do I know? When retro carded rogue came out last year, it sold out in stores and jumped to $40/$50 on eBay and people were lining up to pay.

I find it amusing when people say Hasbro making X did not prevent them making Y, as if Hasbro has unlimited factory capability and as if unlimited shipping containers can traverse the Pacific Ocean and if unlimited port workers can unload the unlimited containers to the unlimited supply of truck drivers waiting to pick them up. Meanwhile toilet paper is starting to become unobtainable, again.

The real big kicker here is that if Elvis MODOK doesn’t sell out, and it won’t, then the costs of producing this unsold toy will be added to future figures. Much like the cost of shoplifting result in higher prices for paying consumers.

Hasbro has bills to pay. They have to pay factories, shipping containers, employee staff, etc. Their employees aren’t going to say “oh we didn’t sell enough MODOKs, don’t worry about this weeks paycheck, I’ll accept skipping getting paid”

Poor business decisions result in raising prices on future products to offset the losses. Hasbro isn’t sitting on an unlimited pile of cash to absorb the losses.

So yes, very much yes, every product they make is less of another product they could have made instead with limited resources. And every product that sells poorly results in price increases on future products.

That doesn’t justify the nerd rage that occurs when they don’t make what you individually want. But it’s economic reality and ignoring it is delusional thinking.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:33 pm

minitaur wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm
I find it amusing that some people argue it’s price hikes that led to poor sales of exclusives. As if any of the previously listed potential exclusives like Outback X-men, Punisher’s Van, Banshee, etc, would not have immediately sold out even if they were priced 30% higher than most thought was “fair”.

A retro carded Banshee absolutely would have sold out even if priced at $30 with no accessories. How do I know? When retro carded rogue came out last year, it sold out in stores and jumped to $40/$50 on eBay and people were lining up to pay.

I find it amusing when people say Hasbro making X did not prevent them making Y, as if Hasbro has unlimited factory capability and as if unlimited shipping containers can traverse the Pacific Ocean and if unlimited port workers can unload the unlimited containers to the unlimited supply of truck drivers waiting to pick them up. Meanwhile toilet paper is starting to become unobtainable, again.

The real big kicker here is that if Elvis MODOK doesn’t sell out, and it won’t, then the costs of producing this unsold toy will be added to future figures. Much like the cost of shoplifting result in higher prices for paying consumers.

Hasbro has bills to pay. They have to pay factories, shipping containers, employee staff, etc. Their employees aren’t going to say “oh we didn’t sell enough MODOKs, don’t worry about this weeks paycheck, I’ll accept skipping getting paid”

Poor business decisions result in raising prices on future products to offset the losses. Hasbro isn’t sitting on an unlimited pile of cash to absorb the losses.

So yes, very much yes, every product they make is less of another product they could have made instead with limited resources. And every product that sells poorly results in price increases on future products.

That doesn’t justify the nerd rage that occurs when they don’t make what you individually want. But it’s economic reality and ignoring it is delusional thinking.
this is a massive over-reaction...

MODOK like all exclusives, will eventually sell out.. even if it takes a year. it will sell out. and Hasbro will get their money even if they have to wait. They are not going to raise prices because a online exclusive flopped.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:

this is a massive over-reaction...

MODOK like all exclusives, will eventually sell out.. even if it takes a year. it will sell out. and Hasbro will get their money even if they have to wait. They are not going to raise prices because a online exclusive flopped.
I’m not reacting at all, either over or under. I’m simply stating economic truths. Which is that bad business decisions raise prices on future products.

The exact amount an unsold MODOK would cause prices to increase is trivial. Maybe 1/10 of a cent of all future marvel legends. And since they don’t raise prices except in large integer movements, it won’t immediately raise prices at all. But if several flops occur over a few years, plus material and salary and shipping inflation, we get a 50 cent to $1 price increase across the line and Elvis MODOK was partly responsible. Not enough to worry about for any of us. But I can’t stand outside in a storm and pretend the reason I’m getting wet isn’t the rain so I feel compelled to respond to economic fallacies discussed here so we can all grow and learn. I’m not trying to argue with anyone and I’m certainly not upset.

And your comment ignores more economic realities. There’s a cost to delayed sales. If MODOK takes one year to sell out, there’s a carrying cost of storage for that one year. Warehouse space costs money. Further, inflation erodes the value of the dollar over time. $74 in one year is worth a lot less than $74 today. Certainly their employees won’t wait one extra year for their October paychecks.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
MODOK like all exclusives, will eventually sell out.. even if it takes a year. it will sell out. and Hasbro will get their money even if they have to wait.

Yep, although it might take 2-3 years. Hasbro eventually also shared the 2019 Grandmaster/Collector con exclusive with the Disney Store, and they're still trying to clearance that out. Pulse still had it too until a few months ago.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”