2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Re: 2021 Pulsecon Hopes & Predictions

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:40 am

Not a fan of drop down hips. I don’t see much value added, plus the hips feel a lot weaker. Drop down hips are the only down side to the GI Joe Classified figures. The hips are weak. I had to add shock oil to some of the hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VonDoom62
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:46 am

minitaur wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:34 am
Not sure what to think about the hascon marvel exclusives. It’s over 24 hours and they’re still available on the website. They were a hard pass for me and many here, but some here were very excited.

Many claimed this is how exclusives should be, to make niche figures only a very very small portion of collectors will want. But if they don’t sell out and linger indefinitely on the site, what will that do to future con releases? Will they make only popular good exclusives to ensure they sell out, or stop doing exclusives at all, or stick with niche low popularity weird figures but make fewer of them?

I am very excited for the eventual Venom re-release with comic colors. Already had the MODOK which wasn’t popular either, Target had to clearance them for 50% off but I paid full price since I didn’t foresee that happening.
As happy as I am that the Venom was painless to get, I'm a bit sad it's still in-stock. I thought it'd be a fairly hot seller since Venom stuff always seems to sell really well. Guess the price, shoulder holes, and highlighting were dealbreakers for more people than I initially thought. Maybe animated figures are just too niche to really have much of a market. I hope not since I really would like more Spider-Man the Animated Series figures, but I don't know.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 am

170 Venoms left in stock, so it'll likely be gone tomorrow.

6379 MODOKs left, which is barely down from when they listed it. That thing may be around for years.
Madcap1
Customized

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:12 am

Could Modok be the first clearanced con exclusive? :lol: Or have there been others?
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 am

The legs always going to be weird so long as there's a butt cap. It's like nobody at Hasbro is asking how to get rid of the extra thigh gap.

I kind of get the feeling that the sculptors are looking at a medical drawing of just muscle when they should be looking more at composite motion studies - how the bones, muscle, and fat move when moved. Then compromise where needed... where the plastic doesn't behave like skin.

I'm happy to move past Bucky Cap, but it has to move past that point. Otherwise it's just a variation of the same problem.

Somebody is going to eventually catch on and make a figure that looks great and is engineered to pose really well. But doesn't go quite as far as some imports. Robo needn't change it from kick its own ass to kiss its own ass.

H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:170 Venoms left in stock, so it'll likely be gone tomorrow.

6379 MODOKs left, which is barely down from when they listed it. That thing may be around for years.
What was MODOK listed at?

I can’t say I’m shocked it’s not moving. Nextwave is already fairly niche, and this MODOK barely registers as being from that book as it’s from a single panel. Might have been a good opportunity to go all in on a real Nextwave set as a con exclusive - a box set of the Captain, Dirk Anger, and proper Nextwave Machine Man and Boom Boom might have sold better than Elvis MODOK.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 am

H-bird wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 am
EnigmaticClarity wrote:170 Venoms left in stock, so it'll likely be gone tomorrow.

What was MODOK listed at?

Can't say for sure because I didn't look until a few hours after it listed, but it was in the upper 6000s when I first looked yesterday, so I assume it started at 7000.
SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:55 am

Akatsuki wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:40 am
Not a fan of drop down hips. I don’t see much value added, plus the hips feel a lot weaker. Drop down hips are the only down side to the GI Joe Classified figures. The hips are weak. I had to add shock oil to some of the hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't come across one that was super flimsy yet (I guess I should consider myself lucky). It adds for great kneeling poses when down and for more vanilla poses when in the up position.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 am

Obviously Hasbro wanted to recoup the development cost of MODOK with the Nextwave version. Not much reuse potential otherwise. However, Nextwave is rather niche. If this set had been offered before the regular retail MODOK, maybe sales would have been greater (if it also came with a normal MODOK face. Just not surprising it's not moving.

Venom not selling out immediately shouldn't worry anyone. Sounds like he's almost sold out.

Just because exclusives don't sell out immediately doesn't mean they're failures. They'll most likely sell out eventually. The Nextwave MODOK was just ill-advised. I just don't think people should have the attitude that stuff has to sell out in minutes to be a success or worthwhile endeavor.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 am

I’m in the camp that Venom would have sold out much sooner if it wasn’t for the shoulder holes and the shading.

Personally I love the shading, the shoulder holes are nonsense. He’s staying MOC for me.
Nothing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:52 am

minitaur wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:34 am
Not sure what to think about the hascon marvel exclusives. It’s over 24 hours and they’re still available on the website. They were a hard pass for me and many here, but some here were very excited.

Many claimed this is how exclusives should be, to make niche figures only a very very small portion of collectors will want. But if they don’t sell out and linger indefinitely on the site, what will that do to future con releases? Will they make only popular good exclusives to ensure they sell out, or stop doing exclusives at all, or stick with niche low popularity weird figures but make fewer of them?

I am very excited for the eventual Venom re-release with comic colors. Already had the MODOK which wasn’t popular either, Target had to clearance them for 50% off but I paid full price since I didn’t foresee that happening.
We are criticizing Hasbro for making a ton more convention exclusive units available now?

Lol
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Just because exclusives don't sell out immediately doesn't mean they're failures. They'll most likely sell out eventually. The Nextwave MODOK was just ill-advised. I just don't think people should have the attitude that stuff has to sell out in minutes to be a success or worthwhile endeavor.

Totally agree. The more exclusives that stick around for multiple days, the better. It's safe to say that just about everyone who wanted Venom had a fair shot at him, which is what we want.

The Nextwave set is a tough one. I would imagine it would've sold fine without Elvis MODOK inflating the price. Not sure how many Nextwave fans there are, though. Jesse seems to like it. I thought it was fine when I read it. Now I can't stomach it at all because of Warren Ellis.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:55 am

Nothing wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:52 am
We are criticizing Hasbro for making a ton more convention exclusive units available now?

Lol
Lol, are they making a ton more? Or did they make the same number but no one is buying them because they made the wrong ones?
minitaur
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:08 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Obviously Hasbro wanted to recoup the development cost of MODOK with the Nextwave version. Not much reuse potential otherwise. However, Nextwave is rather niche. If this set had been offered before the regular retail MODOK, maybe sales would have been greater (if it also came with a normal MODOK face. Just not surprising it's not moving.
I was watching shartimusprime do a review on next wave modok this weekend and I wasn’t paying full attention but it seemed like the faces were not cross compatible between the original and next wave version.

When I first saw the next wave version revealed months ago, my first thought was, damn I don’t need this, and don’t even really want it, but if I can keep one of the two original face plates from my standard Modok, and sell my standard Modok at a slight discount with only one face, then I’ll buy the hascon version and it will serve double duty.

Then Target clearanced out Modok at 50% off and I realized this plan wouldn’t work since I’d recoup next to nothing selling my modok with one face, when shipping costs were added in if people can get it new in target for 50% off.

And now I see it’s not compatible anyway.

The real shame is that we see massive supply chain shortages so this exclusive took up precious factory and ship cargo space that something else could have been. Like the Banshee everyone has wanted for years. Imagine if hasbro said “Banshee here, order now, 20,000 units and if they sell out, can preorder for next batch next year”

Because Banshee would have taken up 1/3 of the shipping space as the Modok box set and we could get 3x as many in the same shipping container. That’s the real bummer of the situation. Is what we didn’t get because of this. Not to take away from the few hundred people who ordered it and will love it. But maybe 10k to 20k people could have gotten something they loved instead in these supply-constrained times we live in.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 am

I'm all for exclusives being available, but I think the "slow" sales are really customers telling Hasbro these price hikes have got to stop. I would love it if all of these price-gouged items sit in their warehouses longer than the Eternals wave did.

I know nothing about Nextwave but I like the look of The Captain and MODOK is stupid ridiculous. At $50, sure. But $74+ tax, so over $80? Joke's not that funny.

Hopefully Hasbro will listen. But I'm not naive enough to think they care.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”