Cloth or Plastic Capes?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
VonDoom62
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Cloth or Plastic Capes?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:12 pm

We could have this debate until the end of time but there really just isn't an answer that'll satisfy everybody.

For me, I prefer cloth. I like to pose and play with my toys. A big plastic cape makes a figure much less toyetic. Makes getting action poses much harder. Some plastic capes are so bad, it makes posing a figure practically impossible. ML Moon Knight might be the worst example I can think of. That's a figure you want crouched down, but you can't do that. You try that, you just have this big piece of plastic that's unnaturally jutting out from his back. Looks awful and it also just eats up SO much shelf space that it's impractical.

That being said, some cloth capes are worse than others. I honestly don't mind the cloth goods on most Black Series figures. It varies, but I think a lot of the ones I have are fine. I'd definitely rather have them over plastic. However, the Masterverse Skeletor has an awful cloth cape that I took off as soon as I got the figure. It's so flat and the material it's made from feels nasty. Makes the handfeel of the figure that much worse. In that case, I might have actually preferred plastic. Then again, I was probably gonna take it off either way.
JoshuaKat
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:33 pm

I prefer plastic, I don't mind it hindering articulation. Plus with all the advancements that the Legends team makes over the years I wouldn't be surprised to see the plastic caps and robes become more and more flexible. Besides after nearly 20 years of collecting legends cloth would throw the whole aesthetic off.

Cloth capes with wire tend to look cool on other figures but cloth clothing like robes or dresses end up looking so bulky and frumpy. It takes away the art of the figures sculpt and cheapens the look imo. Cloth goods in the Legends line would kill it for me.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Prefer plastic. Soft goods never look good at these smaller scales, to me. I don't even like One:12 stuff. I'll take the sculpt and colors of plastic every time.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:09 pm

I'm of the opinion that most cloth goods at this scale just never look right. They don't show the gravity that cloth would have and end of looking like an undifferentiated mass. Black Series New Hope Luke looks like he's wearing a big diaper. Some of the really nice thin wired capes look ok. I like the soft rubber capes although they are a pain to paint.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Plastic.

In an ideal world, I'd say cloth, but the type of cloth that would be packaged with a $20-ish retail figure from a big brand toy manufacturer just isn't going to look that great.

The recent Darth Vader figures (ANH and ESB) from the Black Series are pretty much the only retail 1:12 scale figures I've genuinely liked the soft goods on. The fabric capes that they're using for the new Masters of the Universe Masterverse figures are bland as hell and feel like afterthoughts.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:33 pm

Falling Downer wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 pm
Plastic.

In an ideal world, I'd say cloth, but the type of cloth that would be packaged with a $20-ish retail figure from a big brand toy manufacturer just isn't going to look that great.

The recent Darth Vader figures (ANH and ESB) from the Black Series are pretty much the only retail 1:12 scale figures I've genuinely liked the soft goods on.
Exactly my feelings. It's true that some Thors and Visions may have limited posing options because of their capes, but I still don't trust Hasbro to make cloth ones look better.
Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:40 pm

Cloth is always better, just more fun to play with. Especially for agile characters like Spawn. But plastic always looks better out of the box for a mass market retail figure, so... Plastic capes out of box but engineered so minimal damage to the figure is required to swap in cloth goods.

Revoltech Alphasz is a figure I desperately wish had cloth goods. Its a nightmare to pose and looks horrible.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:47 pm

I hate ...HATE cloth capes on my figures. I hate all soft goods clothing on action figures, especially in 1/12 scale. They look terrible to my eye. I would be highly disappointed if Hasbro shifted to cloth capes now mid-stream. Leave cloth goods to Mezco please. If they ended up shifting to cloth I would be patronizing the 3rd party sellers making plastic...
Storm of the Vale
CROM!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:54 pm

Depends on the character, sometimes it can work with characters like Storm, Dr Doom (If you want to have him sit on a throne) & Magneto, sometimes it's not always needed like Hobgoblin, Black Knight & others that don't immediately spring to mind.
A softer plastic can work & it wouldn't have too much of an issue with balance.
Everyone's tastes are different.
I personally don't mind either.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm personally not a fan of cloth capes, especially at the 6/7 inch scale. They just never look as good as a nice plastic cape with sculpted texture and folds, etc.
Demjot
CROM!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:57 pm

I prefer plastic if the cape is thin/rubbery enough and it's a cape that hangs behind the shoulders, out of the way of articulation. If it's a real "cloak" style cape I prefer soft goods simply for articulation (The Hood from the recent villains wave is a good example). That being said I am generally a person that cares a lot about play-ability in figures and how fun they are to manipulate and move, so I generally despise wires in soft good capes as I find they're always getting in the way and have to be reposed anytime you move the figure, a non wired cape done well just lays over anything. The only time I've ever not hated wires in soft goods is on Mezco figures because they're definitely more pose-and-display than Marvel Legends.
Photo Dave
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 am

More and more, I’m becoming a fan of cloth capes. The plastic ones on figures like the ML Doctor Doom, ML Magneto, ML Thor, and every SWBS Mando kill the fun factor of those figures for me. Because hey, I like articulation.

But I’m not gonna kick anyone for disagreeing.

Have fun, all!
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:53 am

Ideally soft plastic, I really hate soft goods in this scale
MLNUT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:25 pm
CTVampSlayer wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm
Wired cloth is the best option imo
Exactly what I was going to post.

I tend to prefer soft plastic only because the cloth used by hasbro sucks. The cloth they use is too stiff and looks more like cardboard, it doesn't rest right on the figure, and doesn't flow in any way.

One thing I've never cared for are the plastic static capes sculpted with no flow. They should never sculpt they're capes with no flow. In certain poses static capes look horrible. For example hobgoblin - his cape sucks, if you have him crouched or in any pose other than just standing vanilla that cape looks stupid.

One of the better capes hasbro has ever made imo was the ares wave vision, that's how capes should be made imo.

But wired cloth capes are the absolute best solution imo. They just add to the figure and add options. If executed properly.
Same here. I've come very close to buying those wored capes on Ebay from China. The $20 though is holding me back.
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:52 am

PLASTIC 1000%!

Cloth ALWAYS looks like garbage at this scale.

People make cloth capes and the secondary market all the time, the same can't be said for plastic/rubber.

Case in point Storm, both the Jim Lee ones look like trash, but the First Appearance one looks amazing!

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”