Cloth or Plastic Capes?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
minitaur
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Cloth or Plastic Capes?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:57 am

Legends come with plastic capes. Mafex and Mezco come with cloth capes. Aftermarket sellers on eBay make custom cloth goods for legends.

I’ve bought a bunch of cloth goods off eBay for legends and I like them but it’s weird because they don’t make them for all legends and even if they did, the cost is usually about as much as the figure itself, so I’m doubling the price of the figure to add the cape.

My main concern is how the capes will look in 20 years. I’m guessing the plastic capes will look really good and the cloth ones might develop stains over time as they slowly absorb particles from the air into the fabric.

That’s a concern not based in experience so maybe high end doll collectors (not our kind of dolls but actual dolls :) ) have experience collecting older dolls with fabric clothing.

I do like how wire capes can be possible but plastic capes can be very toyetic. I like my toys to look like toys. I actually like pinned joints and I don’t mind when Spider-Man’s pinned joints are blue and the rest of the limb is red. I don’t want them to look too real.

I’m sure I just upset a lot of people and I’m sorry :evil: but in all seriousness let’s discuss cloth versus plastic capes. Which you prefer, do you get aftermarket cloth for legends, do you have a mix of each, concerns over long term degradation of cloth goods and anything else you want to discuss
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Re: Cloth or Plastic Capes?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:52 am

I prefer soft goods, but I'm not sure I care whether Hasbro uses cloth or plastic. The soft goods they use on Black Series figures always look terrible, so I'd replace them anyway.
WayCoolPeople
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:22 am

For Star Wars, I usually prefer plastic. It's usually fairly easy to make a custom cloth piece, but I'd be lost if I wanted a plastic cape, etc. that wasn't included.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am

I'd prefer cloth but I don't hate the plastic ones. The plastic ones hinder some poses, especially with the likes of Thor and Magneto, but they don't look terrible in most cases. The cloth ones allow for alot of poseing options but if done poorly can look like shit. There are a few figures though that I always think to myself. "If only the cape were cloth". Like the 2 mentioned above, as well as Din from SW Black series. I actually bought 2 custom capes for mine because it bothered me that much with him. His jetpack was unusable with the plastic cape. If I could easily replace Thor and Magneto capes with cloth I would, especially if they were wired. I also kinda miss the soft goods trench coats for the likes of Gambit and Punisher. Something about those I really like, even though the older ones aren't the best. I think it's also about the posability options. Wired soft goods also can make for some dynamic shots. Plastic you're just kinda stuck with how its molded. Alot of my plastic cape figures are standing static, and that annoys me a little. But I'd spend alot more then it's worth to try and replace them all lol. At least they look nice being static.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 am

Soft goods! Anyone who disagrees with me is a stupid poo-poo head!
Justice Freak
Super Poseable

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 am

Prefer the plastic ones personally. Especially the thinner lighter weight kind.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:09 am

Cloth capes. But, it's depends on the character (Magneto, Doom, Moon Knight).

Hasbro Cloth cape? Nope. Most of the time it's just looks awful (with some exceptions, like Gamorrean Guard loincloth or Tusken Raider). I don't want too see it on Hasbro figures. They are too...greedy and lazy to make a great one. This will likely add another 15 bucks to the price :lol:

Marvel legends plastic capes doesn't work most of the time either. Sculpt is there, but the figure is just soo unpleasant to pose.
Jax
Avengers Assemble

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Although some of those cloth third party wired capes look amazing, I have to go with plastic.For instance, I prefer the new Stan over the SDCC oshkosh b'gosh one. Always associated clothed action figures with my kid sister’s dolls.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Wired cloth is the best option imo
Avon
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:32 pm

I generally vote cloth, and vehemently vote against the ml magneto type cape (heavy to the point of unbalancing, rigid)… but I’ve found myself really liking some of the mcfarlane dc capes. They can strike a pretty great balance between dynamism and not interfering with the figure. The dc1000 bats one is a great example, or infected superman.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:12 pm

I think plastic sculpted capes look far better at this scale but cloth ones function better for any sort of handling the figure or for any dramatic posing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:56 pm

I prefer plastic. I don't care if it gets in the way of articulation. It just looks better to me. I just wish we got more plastic options, like with the Marvel Legends first appearance Storm that came with both and standard and dynamic cape.

While I prefer plastic, I can live with some soft goods, like a cape on a MAFEX figure. But getting the whole custom in cloth like a Mezco, I can never get behind that. I feel like the figures lose all of their muscle definition and start looking like Adam West in his Batman costume.
Soundswipe
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:21 pm

I prefer cloth by a mile, but there are some instances where plastic ones have been done pretty well. I’m big on articulation, so whenever capes hinder it, I’m not a fan
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 pm

I prefer sculpted plastic, with different options.

I think fabric are great, but they so rarely color match or not stand out as a much different material

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:25 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm
Wired cloth is the best option imo
Exactly what I was going to post.

I tend to prefer soft plastic only because the cloth used by hasbro sucks. The cloth they use is too stiff and looks more like cardboard, it doesn't rest right on the figure, and doesn't flow in any way.

One thing I've never cared for are the plastic static capes sculpted with no flow. They should never sculpt they're capes with no flow. In certain poses static capes look horrible. For example hobgoblin - his cape sucks, if you have him crouched or in any pose other than just standing vanilla that cape looks stupid.

One of the better capes hasbro has ever made imo was the ares wave vision, that's how capes should be made imo.

But wired cloth capes are the absolute best solution imo. They just add to the figure and add options. If executed properly.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”