Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Pan
Super Poseable

Re: Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 am

Every time I think about scaling back on Marvel Legends, the Hasbro team keeps reeling me back in. I wanted to quit a couple of years ago, but have spent more money in the last 2 years on Legends than I ever have. It is coming to an end though. My last remaining most wanted figures are coming out: Cyber, High Evolutionary, and Blue Marvel. I'm noticing Hasbro has been doing more updates than ever before as well, which don't move me to continue. I'll probably just continue to cherry pick until I run out of space, money, or lose interest (which ever comes first).
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 pm

I have definitely scaled back mostly due to not being into a lot of the character selections... but of course partially that is because Hasbro has really given me a lot of what i wanted over the past few years (both 70s/80s comic figs and mcu figs) . The price increase doesn't help but that's still new and i'm sure over time most of us will get used to it.

As long as Hasbro continues to make decisions that ensure that the line remains healthy, I am fine with not necessarily buying as many as I used to and certainly don't intend to stop collecting.

Since i don't build many BAFs I am fine with waves having figures from different medium (comic, live action, animated, gamerverse). In an ideal world we would get more thematic waves (and it seems like hasbro is experimenting more with those) but their current approach seems to work well.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:12 pm

=RickyLee= wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:22 am
Godzilla wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am
If they are 1960-70s character versions I am more than happy to seek, find and buy.
Also, my rule of thumb.

I’m really only buying characters in their 1960s-very early 80s designs or characters no newer than the 1980s.

Everything else is of zero interest. No MCU, no Gamerverse, no modern comic book designs.

This is pretty much what I stick to as well. I'm an old-school comic book guy, so I like the old-school comic book looks.

There are a few exceptions however. For example, I have multiples of the GameStop Exclusive PS4 Spider-Man figure (the default suit in the game with the big white spider symbol). I just really dig that look for some reason. I actually hated it when I first saw it, but once I started playing the game it grew on me real fast. And I personally think the figure is awesome. It was actually my favorite Spider-Man figure until the classic red & blue Retro version came out.

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:12 pm
=RickyLee= wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:22 am
Godzilla wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am
If they are 1960-70s character versions I am more than happy to seek, find and buy.
Also, my rule of thumb.

I’m really only buying characters in their 1960s-very early 80s designs or characters no newer than the 1980s.

Everything else is of zero interest. No MCU, no Gamerverse, no modern comic book designs.

This is pretty much what I stick to as well. I'm an old-school comic book guy, so I like the old-school comic book looks.

There are a few exceptions however. For example, I have multiples of the GameStop Exclusive PS4 Spider-Man figure (the default suit in the game with the big white spider symbol). I just really dig that look for some reason. I actually hated it when I first saw it, but once I started playing the game it grew on me real fast. And I personally think the figure is awesome. It was actually my favorite Spider-Man figure until the classic red & blue Retro version came out.

And it's even better with a spare Retro head.

Jax
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 pm

Limiting my picks to Silver Age, Bronze Age renditions of characters to scale back somewhat. Like a bunch of you kats, space/budget is getting in the way. Not to mention the Hasbro hustle where you drop a favorite character of mines and I rush out to buy (Monica Rambeau comes to mind) but, not in the desired look. Just because I’ve been waiting on any rendition of said character since the Toybiz days. Only for Hasbro to double back later and drop the OG version anyway. If I had the patience since the Toybiz era, waiting a little longer shouldn’t be a problem at this point. Instead of going into a collectors spending frenzy for stuff that I know I don’t need. Enough is enough.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:38 pm

I've been buying Legends since they began with Spider-Man Classics back in 2000 when i was 15... so i've been collecting Legends for more than half my life, it's ingrained in my DNA at this point and a part of who i am. So i don't see my slimming back.. maybe skipping a figure or 2 that i have no use for.. but as long as they keep stepping up the redo's and continuously giving us characters and team costumes we don't have ... i'll keep buying
greensborohill
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:44 pm

I would say that this is a golden era of collection where an abundance of intellectual properties that we grew up with are married to a time period of advancing production and engineering methods and a reasonable, albeit increasing price point. So I would say that if you feel at all that you might regret not getting this figs (and if you are not going beyond your mean); grab them!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:14 pm

It truly is a golden age...but the tradeoff is quite a few people will have "complete" collections before long. I went from having a decent sized list of wants in the beginning and then Hasbro upped their output significantly and within 2 years the bulk of my wants list went down to a pretty small number. I'm down to something like a dozen characters left that I want. If things play out right in the X-Men 2022 wave....that list could be down to under 10 left. 2023 could be the first year that I don't buy any ML figures.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:47 pm

That's why they've got those of us who bought the full ticket on MCU figures. As long as Marvel Studios pumps out content, they've probably got me on the hook for Legends.
redhulk11
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm considering scaling back a tiny bit because a lot of the wants I've had have been announced recently. In terms of heroes, the Retro FF and Dr. Strange were big check marks off the Legends bucket list and I don't really see myself going for a ton more Spidey suits or Iron Man armors. I don't think that I'll need another Haslab figure after Galactus. I do still have a few Toybiz figures that I'm okay with keeping in the collection and I don't really care if Hasbro updates them. At this point, I'm in it for the villains. Mainly Fantastic Four Villains.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:57 pm

As long as Hasbro keeps making Iron Man armors, I will keep buying Marvel Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”