Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Doober
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 pm

I was collecting every ML at one time. Now I'm selling off almost all of my Toy Biz figures and some of Hasbro's alternate versions of main characters: Spiderman, Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, Iron man, Hulk. I don't need every costume for every character. I thought it would be hard to this, but I don't miss them. I will continue to collect all new characters (comic) and some MCU but not every figure anymore.
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm

I haven’t stopped ot scaled back much since I started in 2004.

I have always skipped movie figures and only get maybe half the retro releases; this year I bought Stiltman, Hyde, Armadillo loose and sold quite a but of stuff that isn’t displayed, really thinned out the TB collections
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Absolutely scaling back.
As of right now, the only pre-order I have is the Excalibur 3-pack. I plan on buying Tigra, and will probably buy her once she comes in stock at Dorkside or BBTS. That's it for now.

The main issues for me right now are the price increase and being tired of having to rely on ebay to keep my collection going (selling off older stuff pays for about 60% of my new purchases and I'm tired of the hassle). Personally, I just don't feel that $22.99 is worth it for the average comic figure, and I can't bring myself to pay close to $30 for some of the MCU figures.

Space is also a major issue. Our house isn't very big to being with, and I have boxes and boxes of figures in storage that I only mess around with occasionally, regardless of how cool they are. I'm currently in the process of selling off a significant portion of my collection so that I can have a smaller display that I can enjoy on regular basis. I ended up becoming more or less a "toy hoarder" with Legends, and the boxes of stuff has become overwhelming to me, and I just need to thin the herd for my mental well being. I'd already reached this point with Star Wars Black Series and Transformers, and now it's Legends' turn.

I got into Legends around 2014 to 2015 with the ASM 2 and Cap Winter Soldier waves (the "Inifinite" branding), and it's been my main toyline ever since. But I'm older and I'm tired and, despite thinking that Hasbro is really doing a fantastic job overall, the sun is setting on my Legends collecting. I'll continue to keep an eye on new releases and live vicariously through the rest of you guys. :lol:
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 pm

I only cherry picked to begin with, so I'm not really having a noticeable slowdown. I get the sense I'm younger than some of the posters here (born in 93), so as a result I have way less of a particular affinity towards one specific era. If something looks cool or it's a character I like, I buy it, whether it be movie, modern, silver age, bronze age, gamerverse, whatever.

I can see how if someone is a strict classics-only collector then a lot of the stuff Hasbro has been putting out the last few years would be seen as unappealing, but that's not me.
pakledjim
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm

I’m scaling back a bit, the Eternals wave is the first wave I’m passing on. I barely know the comic versions, so passing on the MCU versions is easy.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:22 pm

I've been an in-completist since before Wave 1 of Toybiz. Usually pretty good about not accepting a character in a look I don't really want. I do have 2 small shelves of modernish deco characters I don't really need, but I will move them on when I need space which is pretty close to now. I stupidly buy a few long wanted characters in looks I don't really want (Hyde etc.) but over COVID have gotten even better at selling them on once a superior option becomes avail. Hasbro's intentional "always make at least 1 mistake on a character to guarantee another sale down the road" always puts me on the fence with some figures. Either way they are easy to sell off later on, usually at a loss of $5 or so which is affordable and worth owning an imperfect version in the interim.
CO_Alex
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:26 pm

I’ve cut back massively on my collecting prior to the price increase, but this added price increase is an additional incentive to cut back. I rarely find much in the wild so I have to preorder which means I have the added shipping expense so they are edging upwards of $30 each since I may only collect one or two figures from a wave. Amazon is typically my go to now to save on shipping when possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VonDoom62
CROM!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 pm

I've been cutting back on figures of characters that I don't have a lot of attachment to, that's for sure. I'm trying to make less impulse purchases.
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:13 pm

I'm scaling back, but mostly because they have made (or are making) most of my want list.

Like many (I suspect) I have a "master list " of characters that I would like to have. It's about 180 characters, about 30 of whom have yet to be made.

That said, every year I am surprised with new versions of existing characters that are either vastly superior, or that have accessories that I can't live without, Malibu Stacy-style.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 am

Scaling so far back to the point that finding one that I truly want has become an exercise in trying to convince myself that I’ll regret not buying the few that I’m on the fence about now. Case in point I’m not in love with Tigra but I regretted passing on her the first time.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:26 am

It almost feels like I've just been buying more and more recently despite the price hike. FOMO is real
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:32 am

i have a new rule for my collecting, NO superhero figures. like that i can scale way back and focus on other figs
Godzilla
Super Poseable

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am

If they are 1960-70s character versions I am more than happy to seek, find and buy.
=RickyLee=
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:22 am

Godzilla wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:41 am
If they are 1960-70s character versions I am more than happy to seek, find and buy.
Also, my rule of thumb.

I’m really only buying characters in their 1960s-very early 80s designs or characters no newer than the 1980s.

Everything else is of zero interest. No MCU, no Gamerverse, no modern comic book designs.
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:41 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:20 pm
There's one option out there that Raybot turned me onto with his setup pictured below, but it doesn't fit enough figures and uses too much space between racks for me to love it. When I did space utilization math I found that using racks like the ones below would reduce my available storage space as compared to stacked bins by about a third.
Spoiler! :
It definitely reduced my storage to get the racks, but finding a bagged figure scuffed or having a busted peg from being crammed in with too many others was getting all too common as my collection grew. I installed a bunch of warehouse shelving on a wall in the garage that holds inactive lines and whatnot. Keeps the wife happier that my toys aren’t on every surface.

I’m still keeping a pretty large 9x6 feet wall display, 3 display cabinets that’re 3 by 6 feet, and some random smaller displays scattered about the house. I rotate the smaller displays and add to the larger ones pretty often.

I’m collecting a lot less of everything but ML these days. Been a completist with ML from day one. The release schedule’s been getting heavier, but not as heavy as collecting 2 or 3 lines. At this point I’ve got most everything I want from Star Wars Black series, Power Rangers Lightning Collection, Ghostbusters Plasma, and GI Joe’s been just slow to release. Even a lot of the NECA TMNT are getting niche enough I’m skipping.

I do think the price jump’s have been making me really picky choosy about buying multiples though. I could see limiting to one on everything but Army Builders next year and having a much slower year on toys given how much I cut back on other lines. Might fill in some holes in my Marvel Omnibus collection instead.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”