Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
minitaur
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 am

Having started collecting the line around 2018, and also spending quite a bit in the back catalog at eBay prices to catch up with older figures I missed, I find myself scaling back significantly on the Marvel Legends line this year. I don't mean this as a complaining thread, believe me, my wallet is happy I am scaling back! Wondering if this is becoming the end state of the ML collecting game for me over the next year or two.

I only actually purchased (and received) about a dozen figures this year so far. I liked most of the Ursa Major and Villains waves, MODOK and Frog Man / Hand Ninja. Don't collect spider-verse movie, MCU movie, alternate universe (AoA / HOX/POX), Disney +, What If Cartoon, or Xmen/Spiderman animated cartoon. They're cool figures and I'm not mad they're being made, just not for me. I have THREE Sentinals incoming that I'm super excited about but no shipping labels yet :D :D :D

I do have some preorders outstanding that I'm excited for in the comic sphere but I only preordered about 1/3 of those. I already have the Walgreens FF set so dont need most of that wave. Despite some of the vitriol against it, I love the Wolverine 5-Pack coming from Amazon. I do want the Walgreens Exclusives Nova / Quasar /Binary but the hunt is so ridiculous, I will likely skip them unless they show up on the Walgreens website with store stock locations, like they did last year. Classic Dr Strange is exciting but Walmart sucks. I was able to get the Venomized Captain America off WalMarts website, six months after it came out, for retail price, with no nonsense, so if that's the case here, I'll get it. Otherwise I'll skip and wait a year for a Fan Channel re-deco of that Strange I can buy off Dorkside.

Looking beyond, there's more figures I want, but based on how the line went in 2021, I expect fewer and fewer figures each year appealing to me and fitting a hole in my collection. Makes me wonder if 2022/2023 will be when long-time comic figure collectors from the line wind up retiring. Not in the "I'm taking my ball and going home" sense, but more so, "wow, I got most of what I want, the rest of what I want is beyond what Hasbro's marketing strategy will support (which is focused around MCU/Disney+)" and I don't need to follow news or reveals or get my hopes up only to get disappointed. I'll take the 5 figures and be happy for them.

2019 and 2020 and the first half of 2021 I was very excited for each Fan First event. And as each one in 2021 went by, I was more and more disappointed. Because I had built up so much excitement, to frequently see zero comic-based figures. So I've stopped watching them a few months ago. And I wonder if in future years, I'll find out about stuff a week later as it shows up on Robo's weekly Fwooshcast, and then be able to get my 5 to 10 comic figures they make each year that aren't repaints and that I actually want, and just sit back as a casual fan, rather than a rabid devourer.

Any other long-time legends collectors feeling the same way? I'm only a 3 year collector of the line, but I think most 10+ year collectors have been excited to replace old toybiz sculpts. Now that's over, we're roughly at parity in our collections.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone Else Scaling Way Back on Marvel Legends?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:12 am

Nope. Still buying them all. Just like I have been for the past 20 years.
weizie
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:52 am

I have definitely been buying less legends. I have already been cherry picking the last few years, and this year has been even less

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

canprime
Customized

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am

I was never a full bore ML buyer, but yeah I am slowing down in general.

It helps (or doesn't) that ML prices in Canada have gone through the roof in the last couple of years. Here is what the market is currently like on average up here (before tax):

ML ( regular) - $34-$35 depending on the store
ML (deluxe aka Dr. Strange/Odin etc.) - $40
ML ( deluxe aka Maestro Hulk) - $55
MODOK $55(sale price) - $73 (regular price)
Surtur/Hydra Stomper - $80

If this was back in my pre=pandemic days of spending then I might not have changed my habits much. However my financials have changed, and space is also an issue, so I don't see myself spending as much anymore. I have become more selective overall, but I also find that I am becoming more of a "buying fewer higher priced items, than lots of lower priced items" collector.

Unless it is a figure I have to have, like the recent Quasar, I will usually pass. My big exception is if I can get a figure for under $20 (before tax). Then I will usually cave. However again it has to be a figure I want. I passed on AOA Wolverine, Morph, Retro, Dazzler, all because I don't care about any of them. Though I did pick up a Jocasta for $13 because of the price, and fond memories from my comic book days.

Oh and of course I couldn't pass up the $14 2 packs (MCU Skurge/Hela, Korg/Grandmaster) at EB/Gamestop this year because, well $7 each figure!!! Though I did pass on Luis/Ghost.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm

I am buying more than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thekunk2075
CROM!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm

cherry picking but spending more. I backed both hasllab projects. skipped what if? but bought the watcher baf. skipped Shang chi but bough Hyde. no way home is the first full wave since bring on the bad guys. I also only collect comic so makes it a bit easier. also skipped AoA (both waves)
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:17 pm

I'd say yes I am and it makes sense since I have just about every super hero I want in figure form.

Off the top of my head, I bought Red Skull, Lady Deathstrike, Dormamu, Arcade, and modular Iron Man (his 90's cartoon look). That's about it from the standard line. I picked up most of the Infinity Saga stuff....still haven't gotten around to a couple of them. I picked up movie Shang Chi as well.

Some surprising skips for me include: All of the last 3 X-Men waves ( I decided to skip out on the Age of Apocalypse stuff and House of X figures don't interest me as I have not been keeping up with the story). Typically I would buy whatever wave of the newest MCU movie to come out, but Shang Chi is the first one I've passed on as I have no knowledge or connection to most of the characters (I can see this being the case with a few upcoming MCU films as well). I completed zero BAFs because, gain, no connection to them. Didn't back Sentinel or Galactus. I even skipped MODOK because my Toybiz one is great.

The big issue is space. If I had bought any of the above, they would just be sitting in a pile somewhere.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 pm

We are getting to the point where I may. Between prices and space, I just don't feel as compelled to buy more of characters I have a ton of figures of already. I haven't cut back on my movie figure buying yet, but I may stop buying every Spider-Man they do for the movies now or the 500th Iron Man, etc. I get more excited for new characters anyway, so I may start just buying new characters and pass on redecos in most cases.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:48 pm

e-rock wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 pm
I just don't feel as compelled to buy more of characters I have a ton of figures of already.
Yup. I have at least two of every character that matters in the MU and I would love to get to a point where I could choose ONE Hulk or ONE Spider-Man and have that be it. I'm not quite there yet, but I do know that I would never display a Spidey with reversed red and blue colors.
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Can’t stop now.
Hasbro is hitting full stride right now with characters/ figures and those BAFs.
Comic AND MCU with great sculpts and capturing MCU faces.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:00 pm

If price increases keep happening, I’m sure I’ll have to. But after diving into the MCU in 2018/2019 (still trying to watch for deals on some older figures) and a wishlist in the hundreds, I don’t see myself stopping soon. I do regret buying the HoX/PoX wave at this point, and while they’re all still packaged, I’m way past the return window.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:01 pm

I agree figures have never been better for MCU ones. But I mainly use masked heads in my collection, so many older figures stand just fine. Even ones that are better now, like the Iron Man Mk 3 and 7, while better than previous ones made, I have zero plans to buy every MCU Iron Man armor they already made again. Yes, the scaling with old figures isn't exactly consistent and older ones may be meh in comparison, but I aint buying all those again
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 pm

minitaur wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 am
Don't collect spider-verse movie, MCU movie, alternate universe (AoA / HOX/POX), Disney +, What If Cartoon, or Xmen/Spiderman animated cartoon. They're cool figures and I'm not mad they're being made, just not for me.

I found your problem--it's this bit. Therapy might help, because you're missing out on most of the best figures every year by skipping all of this. :oops:

What I have found is my initial reaction to waves is far too melodramatic. When I first saw the Ursa Major and Age of Apocalypse waves I thought that both looked skippable aside from Ultron and Sabertooth, but wow, it's the figures you didn't know you wanted until Hasbro nailed them that make those waves. The biggest surprise of the year for me so far is AoA Iceman. From the renders he looked too much like the Juggernaut Iceman, but wow, the reviews on him show that they just designed and engineered him so incredibly well in multiple ways that you couldn't tell from computer renders that he's figure of the year material.

The only wave I thought looked skippable that still looks skippable as it releases and I see multiple reviews is the Watcher wave. Captain Carter was always a must-buy, but everything else still hasn't grabbed me.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:07 pm

I stopped MCU altogether. And most other waves. The price hikes are killing me. And I lost interest. Alot of it looks good. But honestly I just don't care about most of it. I buy XMen. And the straggler figure of something I like here and there. And I used to buy as much as I could since the Toy Biz wave 1 figures, which I still have most of, if they haven't broken because of the plastic deteriorating. And the ones that did break I tried to fix as best I could. But lately it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm putting my money toward Power Rangers, Beast Wars TFs, and some Star Wars. But I'll be cutting back on at least SW as well, cause of the price hikes and the quality going downhill on that line. I even skipped the AoA and House of X waves. Just wasn't interested. And I loves me some XMen. I think it has alot to do with I have most of what I want. I'll probably fill those small holes i want and skip everything else. Probably complete XForce and XFactor, Brotherhood, most villans. But I haven't even gotten any of the new Spiderman stuff. The last Spiderman figure I got was Gwen. And I don't regret not getting any of it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:20 pm

The only real con of collecting figures that makes me think cutting back is inevitable is storing them. If I could find a highly efficient way to store and retrieve them I'd be far happier with it.

We talked at length about it in another thread, but what I really, really want are medium-sized plastic containers that slide out of storage racks and function independently as containers. There's one option out there that Raybot turned me onto with his setup pictured below, but it doesn't fit enough figures and uses too much space between racks for me to love it. When I did space utilization math I found that using racks like the ones below would reduce my available storage space as compared to stacked bins by about a third; larger bins with less spacing should minimize that loss. I'd pay quite a bit for something like the racks pictured below, except with sturdier racks and larger containers.

I still suspect a shelving product like I'm envisioning exists to support parts storage for mechanics, but I haven't been able to find anything yet. :oops:

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”