Rumored 2022 Avengers Wave

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Madcap1
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Rumored 2022 Avengers Wave

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 am
Stark Resilient wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 am
Madcap1 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:28 am

Can you remind me what was wrong with the modern Thors from the Terrax and Allfather waves? I never bought either because I know they aren’t quite right and was trying to remember why.
The Terrax wave is a really great figure for it's time. The sculpt is really strong still, but the articulation is dated. He's limited at the hips due in part to outdated hips, he hinge at the neck, no ankle pivot, and he's HUGE. Thor in this era was big, but he's just freaking massive. He's about the same size as his Marvel Select counterpart, if I remember correctly.

I agree with all of this. It's a solid figure, there are just a few nagging issues that hold it back. The ball-jointed hips, unarticulated ankles, single-jointed elbows, and massive size are the biggest problems for me. Extremis Iron Man was too small and RoML Thor was too big. I think they both deserve new figures.

I understand the frustration with someone asking for an update of a figure that's 10 years old and is a unique sculpt itself. I absolutely love the JMS/Coipel run, though, and it's one of my favorite costume designs ever, so I'm gonna keep pushing for an update.
I missed the JMS/Coipel run, gotta read that. My favorite modern run is Aaron/Dauterman, and I’m pretty lukewarm on the unworthy/odinson sculpts we’ve gotten from that. Too cartoony and bulbous imo. The SDCC version was better but has a weird forehead.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:21 am

Here are the looks I hope they go with for this wave; it's not a bad lineup.

1. Classic Iron Man (new body; can be reused for a Golden Avenger/MKII look)

2. U.S. Agent (Cap Wolf base body; calm and angry heads)

3. Blue Marvel (Maybe some parts from the Grim Reaper base body?)

4. Speed Ball (Pizza Spidey base body)

5. Thor (reuses parts from the 80th anniversary figure)

6. Madame Hydra (double jointed female body, new upper torso with zipper; short and long haired heads)

7. Quake (double jointed female body, new upper torso with zipper; interchangeable Omega Sentinel forearms, Maria Hill, Sharon Carter, and Valentina heads)

And my hopes for the BAF? The Super-Adaptoid!
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:33 am

Worried they would "over-mecha" a Super Adaptoid just you know ... because.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Rumored 2022 Avengers Wave

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:38 am

Super-Adaptoid would be great!

But yes, there are some very cool looking modern interpretations that play up the mechanical nature of the character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 am

DerRabbi wrote:
I worry about that, too.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:28 am

Madcap1 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 am
Stark Resilient wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 am

The Terrax wave is a really great figure for it's time. The sculpt is really strong still, but the articulation is dated. He's limited at the hips due in part to outdated hips, he hinge at the neck, no ankle pivot, and he's HUGE. Thor in this era was big, but he's just freaking massive. He's about the same size as his Marvel Select counterpart, if I remember correctly.

I agree with all of this. It's a solid figure, there are just a few nagging issues that hold it back. The ball-jointed hips, unarticulated ankles, single-jointed elbows, and massive size are the biggest problems for me. Extremis Iron Man was too small and RoML Thor was too big. I think they both deserve new figures.

I understand the frustration with someone asking for an update of a figure that's 10 years old and is a unique sculpt itself. I absolutely love the JMS/Coipel run, though, and it's one of my favorite costume designs ever, so I'm gonna keep pushing for an update.
I missed the JMS/Coipel run, gotta read that. My favorite modern run is Aaron/Dauterman, and I’m pretty lukewarm on the unworthy/odinson sculpts we’ve gotten from that. Too cartoony and bulbous imo. The SDCC version was better but has a weird forehead.

Thor's solo titles aren't usually recognized next to characters like Daredevil, but I think some of Marvel's best work has come in Thor comics.

JMS/Coipel, Aaron, and Simonson are all neck and neck for me, but I'd probably rank them in that order. I give JMS/Coipel a slight edge because I felt Aaron's Malekith stuff went on too long. I'm more partial to the beginning of Aaron's run. I think The God Butcher is particularly great.

secondwhiteline wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:27 pm
Oh wow, Quake immediately makes the wave much more interesting. Two female characters, one of them totally new to ML, helps offset the 3 anchor-level characters. If the BAF's a big, tooling-intensive villain, we've got something here. Mangog to go with Thor?

Now this is a guy who knows what he's talking about. I agree with your entire post, but I'd really love to see a Mangog soon.
Diddy310
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Hoping they don't overthink Madame Hydra and just do the regular green outfit.

Two heads, 2 guns, and maybe the Serpent Crown
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Diddy310 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Hoping they don't overthink Madame Hydra and just do the regular green outfit.

Two heads, 2 guns, and maybe the Serpent Crown
Ewww yes the serpent crown! I've been meaning to mention that hasbro should start sticking more artifacts and what not in here n there.

Like with that wretched Walmart exclusive coming out that has the wand of watoom in it.

We need to see more things like that, like maybe the zodiac key(which I got the hero clix one and works great).
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:13 pm

DerRabbi wrote:
Yeah. Agreed.
I’d love an Adaptoid BAF, but my concern is it would end up like the recent Crimson Dynamo BAF.
I’d prefer classic S.A.
lefthook
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 pm

they got to re-use that modok face plate so super adaptoid is going to be somewhat like this
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm

I'm sure it's been suggested, but I would love to see Quake have removable/swappable parts so one could build multiple females SHIELD agents.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:37 pm

sepster wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm
I'm sure it's been suggested, but I would love to see Quake have removable/swappable parts so one could build multiple females SHIELD agents.

I would absolutely love to see that done! Swappable heads for so many characters are a possibility - adding removable web gear would be another extra mile move that could make this figure a hot seller.

Akatsuki wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 pm
Ok then. I don’t have high expectations about Quake. It’s not a particularly big issue to me. Just as the father of two daughters who are of mixed white and Asian decent, it would be nice to have an action figure of a cool superhero who actually looks kind of like them. (Wish it had been easier to get the Netflix Colleen Wing, but I couldn’t justify buying the whole set just for her).

I know it was certainly cool for me to see the recent Snake-Eyes movie which starred two half white, half Asian guys like me as the lead actors.

Comic Quake kind of looks like a young Maria Hill. You need the gauntlets to tell them apart sometimes.

My preference is (always!) for a comic version but this is an important point and I think it would be awesome for your daughters to get a figure of a character they see themselves in! In addition to that you are completely right about Quake and Hill being almost indistinguishable in some comic art, especially when they're both rocking short hair. Does anyone know what heritage/background Quake is meant to have in the comics? I know Calvin Zabo aka Hyde is her father - have they revealed who her mother is?

tru48082
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 am

I had such high hopes for this wave. Then it all went south, after the Blue Marvel rumor/reveal.

At this point, I hope the BAF is something I DON'T want.

Sorry to be a downer and glad for those that are happy about the reveals and getting the characters they want, It's just not for me this time around.

-tru48082
Diddy310
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:48 am

I'd expect longer hair on Quake if they are throwing in a Maria Hill head.

I liked the jacket look she had in the newer iteration of Secret Warriors though I would definitely take a basic Shield uniform with removable gauntlets if she's going to be an army builder.

kbaxter74
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 am

Even if Quake isn't an army builder, I would assume the body could be refused for a Pulse army builder at a later time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”