Rumored 2022 Avengers Wave

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Rumored 2022 Avengers Wave

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 am

Madcap1 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:28 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:54 pm
fingfangfoom wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am
So, maybe Thor and Iron Man get most of the wave’s budget.

What Thor variant would you want? Armored Simonson Thor? Herald of Galactus? Maybe it’s Lady Thor, for a female in the wave? Not sure what other costumes would be most worthwhile.

I'm shouting at my monitor.

Can you remind me what was wrong with the modern Thors from the Terrax and Allfather waves? I never bought either because I know they aren’t quite right and was trying to remember why.
The Terrax wave is a really great figure for it's time. The sculpt is really strong still, but the articulation is dated. He's limited at the hips due in part to outdated hips, he hinge at the neck, no ankle pivot, and he's HUGE. Thor in this era was big, but he's just freaking massive. He's about the same size as his Marvel Select counterpart, if I remember correctly.
Nate_Grey518
HULK SMASH!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 am

BLUE MUTHA FU**in MARVEL

........& Speedball :drool: :mrgreen:
fac
CROM!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:29 am

I have to say, of the Hasbro Legends from about 10 years ago that need to be updated, that Coipel style Thor is near the bottom of the list for me - he is probably oversized but that sculpt is dead on. I'm not sure they'd be able to improve on it all that much in my opinion - but I tend to prefer sculpt accuracy to articulation.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:33 am

Main issue is he is massive. Easily seems like a 7 footer in comparative scale. I’ve been tempted to sell mine often bc the scale issues and that fact I just focus on classic versions, but keep finding myself unable to bc the sculpt as so good. Ad in that over scaled Loki that looks so good with him and I can never can bring myself to sell them.
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:48 am

Madcap1 wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:
fingfangfoom wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am
So, maybe Thor and Iron Man get most of the wave’s budget.

What Thor variant would you want? Armored Simonson Thor? Herald of Galactus? Maybe it’s Lady Thor, for a female in the wave? Not sure what other costumes would be most worthwhile.

Can you remind me what was wrong with the modern Thors from the Terrax and Allfather waves? I never bought either because I know they aren’t quite right and was trying to remember why.
They're horrible old hasbro quality. The terrrax wave version was only just ok at the time and the allfather version was just worse for the sole reason they decided to reuse that body.

If you want a good version of the terrrax wave version get the MS one. The best way to describe that one is it's a better hasbro figure.

And same thing with the allfather wave version. MS did it better. Plus it gave you a really spiffy twirling hammer effect that's really popular with the kids. The only bad thing I can say about that figure is as a legends stand in he really stands out as in you can tell he doesn't belong - the quality difference is glaring

With all that said I'd really prefer to not see either of these versions revisited for a very long time actually. Id really like the bearded Thor with the mask and armor.
la6689
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:57 am

Stark Resilient wrote:
Madcap1 wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:

The Terrax wave is a really great figure for it's time. The sculpt is really strong still, but the articulation is dated. He's limited at the hips due in part to outdated hips, he hinge at the neck, no ankle pivot, and he's HUGE. Thor in this era was big, but he's just freaking massive. He's about the same size as his Marvel Select counterpart, if I remember correctly.
Coipel Thor and Odin Wave Thor are at best a hair shorter than the Select versions. They’re close enough that they might as well be the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 am

Stark Resilient wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 am
Madcap1 wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:

I agree with all of this. It's a solid figure, there are just a few nagging issues that hold it back. The ball-jointed hips, unarticulated ankles, single-jointed elbows, and massive size are the biggest problems for me. Extremis Iron Man was too small and RoML Thor was too big. I think they both deserve new figures.

I understand the frustration with someone asking for an update of a figure that's 10 years old and is a unique sculpt itself. I absolutely love the JMS/Coipel run, though, and it's one of my favorite costume designs ever, so I'm gonna keep pushing for an update.
Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 am

If they update Extremis, I'd love to see the Initiative War Machine updated. Always been a huge fan of the design.
The Scream Man
Throw Another DCUC on the Barbie!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am

Coipel Thor is still my favorite look for him. It was where I first GOT Thor as a character, and any affection i have for the character moves forward and backward from that.
greensborohill
Avengers Assemble

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Is the board member that confirmed the entire x-men wave gonna come in and confirm the rest of this wave?
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:02 pm

greensborohill wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm
Is the board member that confirmed the entire x-men wave gonna come in and confirm the rest of this wave?
Did a few pages back, which is why folks were discussing Quake earlier.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:06 pm

Jead wrote:If they update Extremis, I'd love to see the Initiative War Machine updated. Always been a huge fan of the design.
Yes please! War Machine’s Initiative Armor had such a cool look. Huge with all those energy weapons. Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Any prominent design from the 616 for a-listers like Thor and Iron Man are always fair game in my book. I recently decided to let my Initiative War Machine and Extremis Iron Man go because they just don’t fit in, and I ditched Coipel Thor a while ago for the same reason. I’d be happy to see all of these designs get revisited with some modern Hasbro magic!
kbaxter74
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:48 pm

If this lineup holds up, this will be my favorite ML wave of all time. Knocks 3 off my top 10 and 4 of my top 15. Really awesome job of character selection.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Oh wow, Quake immediately makes the wave much more interesting. Two female characters, one of them totally new to ML, helps offset the 3 anchor-level characters. If the BAF's a big, tooling-intensive villain, we've got something here. Mangog to go with Thor?

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”