Classic Dr. Strange (Walmart exclusive)

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Seasick Pirate
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Classic Dr. Strange (Walmart exclusive)

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am

Is there a “buyer’s guide” for this kind of thing?

The only Walmart exclusive I wanted was the Loki/Glave box. The app was bugged out for days, and I only happen to find it in-store tucked behind a display. Never saw the Black Panther, Thanos, or Captain Marvel in my area at all.
canprime
Customized

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am

Gex wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:58 pm
He looks pretty decent.
Price increase is ridiculous, especially for a Walmart exclusive. This release is bringing price increase into hyper focus for me. Only need a few more figures to "complete" my collection but if retail pushes to 24.99; might be an exit point for me.
Game time decision on if he's a pick up for me, price is really pushing towards a no.
Welcome to Canada 5 years ago. Here is what the current pricing looks like up here with the latest price increase (happened last week):

Regular ML - $35 (Cdn) = $27.43 (US)

Small Deluxe like this Dr. Strange - $40 (Cdn) = $31.35 (US)

Large Deluxe is a real "all over the place #$% show". Maestro is $60Cdn/$47(US), MODOK is now $73(Cdn)/$57(US) and Surtur/Hydra Stomper are $80(Cdn)/$63(US).

Needless to say we Canadian collectors have been dealing with the struggle of "Stay or Go?" for some time now. If it wasn't for sales/clearance I would have not picked up anything this year outside of Quasar who is a personal must have favourite.

Anyway, back on topic. I really like this Dr. Strange. If this is $40 up here then I may just bite because it covers so many years of comic Dr. Strange. Also that 70s hair!!!
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:16 pm

That’s why I’ve been in the mindset that I’ve been in for the past handful of years. Figures have been getting increasingly better that I don’t really need any new versions of them, plus the slowly creeping price increase making collecting cost prohibitive. It’s been collecting with an end goal in sight.

Also I’ve resorted to completely begging and pandering

EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Seasick Pirate wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am
Is there a “buyer’s guide” for this kind of thing?

1. Go to the Walmart.com item page moments before it goes live and repeatedly click refresh until it goes live.
  2. Add to cart and checkout within 10 seconds.
That's it. If that doesn't work you're out of luck. :evil:

It's different every time so it's hard to say, but this is the safest route to go just in case it's one of the rough sales that sells out instantly. If it does sell out too fast keep watching the page, they usually make it available again at some point. If he ends up going to stores Brickseek can also help if they do bother to expose inventory for Strange via their public web API. I was pretty easily able to get an Ahsoka locally using Brickseek.

I wish exclusives were easier, but I've always been able to get them without jumping through more than three or four hoops. I assume the people who say they frequently don't get them just aren't willing to jump through any hoops at all.
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Venomized Cap, Compound Hulk, and John Walker Captain America - all WM exclusives - were easy to obtain.
Why would Dr. Strange be any different?
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:18 pm

blobfrombeyond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:09 pm
Venomized Cap, Compound Hulk, and John Walker Captain America - all WM exclusives - were easy to obtain.

The caveat on that is that at first Venomized Cap was NOT easy to obtain. It sold out fast, and wasn't available for months. But then it went up for sale and has stayed for sale for over a year. Same has been true for multiple exclusives including Cable. Before those they often wouldn't even go up for sale later and people just missed them.

But yea, the last few this year have been easy to get. The reason Strange could be different is Walmart isn't predictable. Hopefully it'll be easy to get, but I wouldn't bet on it given their bad history.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 pm

blobfrombeyond wrote:Venomized Cap, Compound Hulk, and John Walker Captain America - all WM exclusives - were easy to obtain.
Because they’re not highly demanded variants? A throwaway design from a cartoon outside the age range of most collectors and a Hulk based originally on a comic cover. Walker Cap is the most desirable out of the three IMO, but he was already out of that costume by the time the figure was available, and his new identity was a regular release with a BAF part (despite the inaccuracies of that figure).

90’s Widow, 80th Cap, Endgame Cap, ANAD Panther, and Thanos were all hard to find in stores. And not as demanded figures like MCU Binary and Deadpool 2 Cable were both either never delivered to stores or several pegs worth.

Walmart’s track record is not good, and the last few figures seeming better because they’re not figures everyone is going to want doesn’t make me confident that they’ve figured out the logistics. A highly-demanded, definitive classic look should not be a retailer exclusive. We’ve had it was Walmart and Cap and it was a mess, Walgreens and Moon Knight was marginally better. Walgreens and FF was all over the place. People are still asking rereleases if the TRU Cyclops/Dark Phoenix.
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Okay.
Worry at will.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Walgreens had seemingly solved their exclusives being hard to get about a year ago, but then their toy manager left the company and since then their exclusives are VERY hard to get. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes at Walmart, Target, etc. If something changed for the worse we wouldn't know it until suddenly things started sucking again on a given exclusive release.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Even if you pre-order at Walmart... it means nothing.

So there's also that.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Enforcer wrote:Even if you pre-order at Walmart... it means nothing.

So there's also that.
True, but when they've flubbed up, I will say they're pretty good at giving gift cards at least

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jead
Customized

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:12 pm

To be honest, exclusives are starting to burn me out on collecting. It feels like the entire hobby has started spiraling down ever since NECA's cartoon turtles started hitting Target. I have no clue why Hasbro and Mattel are so insistent on making iconic looks of some of their most popular characters be exclusives. Nobody is ever happy with it.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:33 pm

I try not to hold it against the manufacturers too much. I get that each store probably wants more and more “essential” exclusives. Otherwise what’s the benefit to them.

The question we’ll never get an answer to is, why is NECA able to negotiate time window exclusives, where something could be at Walmart for six months and then Fan Channel. Or why Hasbro can’t say “yes, but our exclusive quantity needs to increase”.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Jead wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:12 pm
To be honest, exclusives are starting to burn me out on collecting. It feels like the entire hobby has started spiraling down ever since NECA's cartoon turtles started hitting Target. I have no clue why Hasbro and Mattel are so insistent on making iconic looks of some of their most popular characters be exclusives. Nobody is ever happy with it.
I try to keep the hobby as stress-free as possible. I have a guy I get most BAF series from (this year has been hit or miss because of COVID) and pretty much all of the Fan Channel stuff can be pre-ordered at Game Stop. In Canada, Game Stop has also gotten the Walgreens stuff - which is a relief. Pre-ordering saves almost all headaches.

The biggest frustration has always been with Walmart. They delayed and ended up canceling my 80th Cap pre-orders. The IW Caps I pre-ordered are delayed and will probably be cancelled. I managed to pre-order John Walker Cap from Walmart Canada and they ended up canceling that due to incompetence (when I called to ask about it, they thought the Out of Stock Pre-Order meant it wouldn't ever come and took it upon themselves to cancel it for me). In all cases I've had to resort to the hunt. I hate getting in my car and driving around the GTA hoping that Walmart staff has actually put these out on the shelf (you know when they haven't because of StockTrack, up here in Canada.) Plus you're in a race against scalpers. It's brutal. I wish everywhere was consistently adequate with their pre-order system. With all of the money they make - Walmart just can't sort it out, and it's one of the few sources of frustration for me in this hobby.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 am

My philosophy towards store exclusive action figures is best summed up by Baloo the bear:
“ And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you”

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”