Classic Dr. Strange (Walmart exclusive)

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Classic Dr. Strange (Walmart exclusive)

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 am

The hunt for a classic, soft goods 3rd party cape continues.

This figure looks OK but nothing special, IMO. I was really hoping for a deluxe release with soft goods wire cape a-la Classified Cobra Commander, which absolutely would have been feasible if they chose to go the extra mile. Walmart exclusive......what are you gonna do. The 80 years Cap showed us that no character is too big to be an exclusive and we just have to suck it up and live with it. It's not gonna change.
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 am

Now I’m wondering how the cape from the new No Way Home Strange would sit on this figure - if I could transfer the pointy collar and paint on a yellow border, that might take care of the biggest issue I have with this (and give me a reason to get that Strange besides Armadillo’s head…)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:01 am

Strange looks amazing! I love that 70's head! I'm not a fan of that price at all, but I do love that he gets a new Wand of Watoomb and a gripping hand for it.

I'm hopeful that the 70s head will get a Retro card release with the eyes fully painted and not in a closed, meditating position. It's the head sculpt I want as a default, but the closed eyes aren't what I'd like to have on display.

I'm also looking forward to an Astral version of this figure (might make for a nice 2-pack vs Classic Baron Mordo).

I'm beyond excited to finally put together a classic Defenders team.

I just hope I can score a few of these, despite their being Wal*Mart exclusives. I'm not sure what it is, but for the past few years, I have to wait for the item to go in stock, cancel my preorder, and reorder the figure in order to get them (happened with movie Cable, Venom Cap, and MCU John Walker). I waited for a few days before reordering in-stock John Walker, hoping the PO would go through, but I worried about him selling out before I could get him.

Bring on a classic Valkyrie redo!
CaptainCool
HULK SMASH!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 am

I heard I missed something, did I miss something?

In seriousness, I’m beyond excited and can retire my Galactus wave one now… but I’ll keep it around for sentimental value.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:42 am

september_death wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 pm
Anyone else feel like exclusives should be cheaper? They’re guaranteed sales for the retailer, very rarely go on clearance, and are usually a huge pain for collectors to obtain. We’re already incurring more cost to find the figures by driving to several stores.
Yes. :lol:
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:49 am

yojoebro82 wrote:

This figure looks OK but nothing special, IMO. I was really hoping for a deluxe release with soft goods wire cape a-la Classified Cobra Commander, which absolutely would have been feasible if they chose to go the extra mile. Walmart exclusive......what are you gonna do. The 80 years Cap showed us that no character is too big to be an exclusive and we just have to suck it up and live with it. It's not gonna change.
I was expecting him to come as a deluxe with two capes like Storm. Reusing the terrible old cape sculpt was a bit of a let down. Was never a fan of it.
Chooch
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:50 am

In case Hasbro sees this, put me down as having all of my enthusiasm deflated when I found out it was a Walmart exclusive.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:56 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:49 am
yojoebro82 wrote:

I was expecting him to come as a deluxe with two capes like Storm. Reusing the terrible old cape sculpt was a bit of a let down. Was never a fan of it.
It's like when you hope Gambit gets a new trench coat but they just use the same stock coat they've been using for a decade.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 am

Is it just me, or does the closed eye look kinda look like a nod to the 1978 TV Dr. Strange head?
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:44 am

mattmurdog wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:

Same. Its what he deserves

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:54 am

Yeah, I was excited. Then Walmart. I doubt I get this. Probably won’t be able to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:38 am

Beamish wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Beamish wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:09 pm
Yes! I called the 70's feathered hair look in the 20th anniversary thread!
Did Paul Harding Studios sculpt the heads? If so, he has a whole slew of characters from the 70's artwork on his Insta page. Maybe a hint of things to come?

I was correct! Paul Harding Studios did the 2 facial headsculpts, the meditating head based on his 70's artwork. Hopefully this means we'll see other figures based on his 1970's artwork - Dracula, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Werewolf By Night, Damian Hellstrom, 1st appearance Blade, Howard the Duck, Mephisto, Adam Warlock, Wong, Colleen Wing... and Moondragon!!!!!!

I wouldn't be mad about it. I'm desperate for Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Mephisto, and Howard the Duck. I need Blade and Moondragon, too, but not in those costumes.
MarvelLegendsMan
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 am

Since there's a lot of discussion here about a soft goods cape for Strange...does anyone know someone on eBay or IG selling a good wired soft goods cape that would go with the Mezco Dr. Strange? Figure it would also work for this Legends figure when it gets released (if one can find a way to remove the plastic cape).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am

I feel that Strange is a perfectly serviceable, decent looking Legends representation of the character...but it doesn't blow me away or get me excited to own it.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but for a character I was really, really looking forward to, I can't even get mad that it's a Walmart exclusive. The other accessories are great, but man, did I hate that cape on the Dormammu wave Strange figure. And this time it's glued onto the figure?

I appreciate the extra parts, but $26.49? If that price is the future of Marvel Legends, just give me an updated Daredevil and classic Lizard and I'll be on my way. I've loved this line for a long time, but I feel like it's just getting too expensive for what you get.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:39 am

Just pointing out again that Dr Strange's gloves and belt were never really presented as the same color as the hem of the cloak.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”