"This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Bolt
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:45 am

https://youtu.be/4CShF4Ezjz0
(search Victor Rivkin - I Always Ship Until They Pay on Youtube if you don't see the video link and are curious...its experimental music with these lyrics and was inspired by this thread)

I walked to the store,
with the top down,
to buy some Legend Dairy Marvels

As I pulled into the Fwoosh
I heard a complaint that I thought

uh
I oughta rattle

It went like this! until it didn't:

I don't get played,
so of course I bought them right away
I always ship-
until they pay!

because

I don't get played
so of course
I bought them right away
I always ship-
until they pay!

When I got home
They cajoled me into a rage
so I deliberated and then I delineated
to cry
crocodile tears in the corner
in 30 minute segments
rotated with stream - of - consciousness double postings
for good measure!

Here's hoping
the next Legend Dairy Marvels
are flappy flappy Build a cosplay - banshee wings -
Who knows? If they are exclusives...maybe they'll carry me
No one wants him in figure form anyway-
unless there's a screaming Dwight head sculpt pack in!

I don't get played,
so of course
I bought them right away
I always ship-
until they pay!

because

I don't get played
so of course I bought them right away
I always ship-
until they pay!

The end
this song is over
the end
don't forget the post credits sheen
the end
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:07 am

It sucks that Toys R Us went out of business.

Sucks even more that their attempted return to the United States by opening two stores was ruined by Covid.

What sucks the most, I didn't have sense enough to take a road trip and get an A Force set. Those things were super discounted back then.

Now look at their price on ebay.
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 am

Jead wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:45 am
Genuine complaint about Legends that doesn't fit in any other thread: We desperately need better energy effects for characters that aren't Iron Man. Just give some energy blasts, not just fireballs or bubbles that clip around the wrist, but a proper energy blast effect that shoots forward.
Hasbro can't afford it and it would take another character's spot. Do you want to give up another iron Man that doesn't match exactly how the character looked in that one scene in a movie or a three issue comic arc? And for what? A new plastic energy effect that is remotely similar to how they've been drawn for years?

So everyone just remain calm and we can go back to reading irrationally angry complaints about a silver surfer figure that hasn't been revealed yet as a possible freebie for a $400 Galactus.
Jead
Customized

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:56 am

Scotch n Ciggs wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 am
Jead wrote:
Genuine complaint about Legends that doesn't fit in any other thread: We desperately need better energy effects for characters that aren't Iron Man. Just give some energy blasts, not just fireballs or bubbles that clip around the wrist, but a proper energy blast effect that shoots forward.
Hasbro can't afford it and it would take another character's spot. Do you want to give up another iron Man that doesn't match exactly how the character looked in that one scene in a movie or a three issue comic arc? And for what? A new plastic energy effect that is remotely similar to how they've been drawn for years?

So everyone just remain calm and we can go back to reading irrationally angry complaints about a silver surfer figure that hasn't been revealed yet as a possible freebie for a $400 Galactus.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:59 am

Jead wrote:
Can Of Beams.

Pricey but high quality and look amazing in a display. I’m not sure he has any beams that shoot forward right now but I believe he has done some in the past and will do some going forward.
Jead
Customized

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 am

Roufuss wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:59 am
Can Of Beams.

Pricey but high quality and look amazing in a display. I’m not sure he has any beams that shoot forward right now but I believe he has done some in the past and will do some going forward.
I know of Can Of Beams, I respect his craft and hope to get a few of his effects in the near future, but, besides budgetary concerns, there's just an appeal to me of popping that figure out of the package and having that play value right there.

A few all-rounder effects for energy-based characters or whatever else would add so much to the line. Just an ambient glowing fist and a fist energy blast is all we would really need. At the very least, I'm tired of bubbly gummy ring. Especially when packed in with characters it doesn't really make sense for with.
fac
CROM!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Dormammu wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:55 am
fac wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:52 pm
Just think how much money I'll save if they never make anything I want ever again! That would be great.
What are you hoping Hasbro will make in Legends form?

I'm personally fine with getting about 12 to 20 MLs a year, while not buying the 50+ others they release that I don't want. It fits my budget and space. I can respect that other people have other preferences.
That was maybe a little snarky/jokey on my part, so sorry about that - to be clear it was more about the saving money comment, not the idea of not wanting everything. As none of us need to spend anything on Marvel Legends, no one is "saving money" if we don't buy what they are offering - we are just not spending the money. So I find it amusing when people seem to be happy that Hasbro is making something they don't want, like it is a relief. Is the extreme (and not serious) logical conclusion of being happy that the latest release is something to skip is to hope nothing we want ever gets made?

It is just an interesting opposite reaction to the people being angry that a release isn't what they want, to be happy it isn't what they want so it can be skipped.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Maybe it's more relief. Yay, today my obsession doesn't control me!
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm

fac wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:07 pm
That was maybe a little snarky/jokey on my part, so sorry about that - to be clear it was more about the saving money comment, not the idea of not wanting everything. As none of us need to spend anything on Marvel Legends, no one is "saving money" if we don't buy what they are offering - we are just not spending the money. So I find it amusing when people seem to be happy that Hasbro is making something they don't want, like it is a relief. Is the extreme (and not serious) logical conclusion of being happy that the latest release is something to skip is to hope nothing we want ever gets made?

It is just an interesting opposite reaction to the people being angry that a release isn't what they want, to be happy it isn't what they want so it can be skipped.
Here's my collecting situation, and I'm pretty sure at least several others share the same situation: I only collect a 'subset' of Marvel Legends. In my case, I almost exclusively collect classic Bronze Age MLs. Occasionally I can be convinced to get some Copper Age too. The very rare Silver Age character might be of interest too. But on the whole, the 70s and 80s are my main nostalgia 'era'.

In a year, I don't want to spend beyond what I think is a reasonable amount on action figures. Every year, this amount rises a bit because of inflation, but I try to keep some discipline and exercise willpower to try and not get into other lines too.

I am happy when Hasbro makes more figures from my 'era'. I want to get as many as possible, although I also get nervous if too many are announced at once, because A) they can be hard to find, and more importantly B) they can blow my budget. I don't like any kind of stress or suspense in a hobby.

Hasbro is pumping out more figures per year than I could ever find or afford (as a casual collector, with other non-action figure hobbies in my life too). Costs continue to climb too. Every time Hasbro puts waves of figures out that are outside of my collecting interest, I'm sincerely happy because I know I can probably maintain my budget. The saved money can be redirected to pay for the inevitable must-buys they will put out.

If Hasbro wants to keep pumping out 70+ figures per year, then I hope 50 of them are not on my must-buy list. Every What-If? and MCU wave I don't buy means I can buy a classic villains wave, along with a classic Nova, Moon Knight, SC Iron Man, Sandman, and Hercules. And so on. I can only be a ML collector if this model remains available. If they go all classic (too much), or give up on classics (not enough) - either way, I'm out.

I think the guys at Hasbro know the market and their fans well enough to accommodate the kind of consumer I fall into. Their current model seems to accommodate virtually all the different kinds of buyers. So that's pretty cool.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Yeah, that's basically what I was going to say, Dorm. I have X amount of money to spend on my hobbies per year. If ML releases too many characters within my subset of collecting in a year, then I have to either skip wanted characters, or spend less on other hobbies. I like when there's an easier balance where I can just buy a handful of waves each year. I don't think anyone is confused that we're *actually* saving money, but if you know your hobby budget and you see a wave you plan to skip, you know that you've saved a little hobby money for another purchase down the road.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 pm

Save verses not spend is an interest discussion based on perception.

What I find amazing are those people you are so in tune with trends that their collections are self-sustaining.

They don't buy a new figure unless they sell an old figure. Goal being no net increase in number of figures.
Yet, they are able to sell the old figure, at a profit, before a new version of that character is released .
They get the newer figure, haven't increased the size of the collection and still made money.

Then again genuine admiration doesn't fit in a rant thread so this falls under a garbage post.
fac
CROM!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:35 pm

I totally get not wanting to go beyond a budget for figures and keeping things under control, and certainly I want to be respectful of how everyone chooses to collect - so I appreciate the insight from Dormammu on your collecting goals.

My counterpoint is a bit more abstract however: If a line never gets around to making a figure then I have 0% chance to add it to the collection; whereas once it is made I can choose to skip it, buy it, or wait for later. Even popular lines end and/or evolve, as does my collecting interest, so I'd rather they make too much that I want than too little. I feel the same way when there are complaints about retailer X getting an exclusive - everyone has their retailers that are more or less convenient for them, but even if coming to one that isn't, at least it is getting made. If we view collecting as a long haul, there may be items we need to skip when a line is in overdrive and budget doesn't allow, or other things are more important to us, but to me hoping to not make too much I want in a year goes against the very possibility of what my collection could be at some point.

As examples, I never got a Sandtrooper to sit on the Dewback in 1977-85 Kenner Star Wars line, nor a Grand Moff Tarkin; never got a Maude Flanders for the Playmates Simpsons; never got a Guinan in the Art Asylum Trek line, etc. Still bugs me to some extent. And for all of those lines I had periods where I couldn't - or didn't want to - keep up.

In any case, not arguing here, just explaining why I never hope for less product I may want to be produced...
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 am

Fly4v wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 pm
Save verses not spend is an interest discussion based on perception.

What I find amazing are those people you are so in tune with trends that their collections are self-sustaining.

They don't buy a new figure unless they sell an old figure. Goal being no net increase in number of figures.
Yet, they are able to sell the old figure, at a profit, before a new version of that character is released .
They get the newer figure, haven't increased the size of the collection and still made money.

Then again genuine admiration doesn't fit in a rant thread so this falls under a garbage post.
Most of the time, I try to sell the old versions of characters before I buy the new versions about to come out. I rarely would make a profit, but it's sure nice when older figure X and Y bring in more than what I paid. More often than not I tend to break even or fall just shy. Anyway, that's been my main selling push, along with eliminating doubles.

My collection tends to expand in small degrees even after the old-for-new swaps, because new characters keep appearing. Every now and then, however, I do a purge of some characters I just have zero attachment to. For example, Bucky Cap and Nuke. I got em for a deal somewhere. It took me a while to realize I couldn't care less about them so I sold them. No regrets.

If anyone wants some older figures in perfect shape, msg me. I'm still cannibalizing and updating my collection to ultimately have every character in the costumes from my 'era'.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:44 am

Samael13 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:43 pm
Yeah, that's basically what I was going to say, Dorm. I have X amount of money to spend on my hobbies per year. If ML releases too many characters within my subset of collecting in a year, then I have to either skip wanted characters, or spend less on other hobbies. I like when there's an easier balance where I can just buy a handful of waves each year. I don't think anyone is confused that we're *actually* saving money, but if you know your hobby budget and you see a wave you plan to skip, you know that you've saved a little hobby money for another purchase down the road.
Yeah, I think many collectors who've been at this for a long time have to really try to get a handle on their hobby, and they have to remember the fun of it. When a lot of us older guys started collecting in the Toybiz days, we were totally blown away in a given year by the announcement of say 3 entire waves! There could be variants! Wowza hype. Woah, what are these new BAF things?! With some budgeting you get all or most of the figures without too much problem.

Now, it's like... woah. The scope is huge. Waves galore. All aspects of the MU mined and explored. Fan channels. Store exclusives. Deluxe figures. BAFs everywhere. Box sets of all kinds. Haslabs now. Avg price per basic 6" figure is almost 3x compared to back in the day.

I know there's still completists out there - God bless them, they help the line keep rolling - but most folks have to be tighter and sort through what they want. Everything else must be left behind unless you want the hobby to become a financial burden.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:47 am

Fac, what particular characters do you want turned into Legends? Honestly curious.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”