"This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 pm
greensborohill wrote:I could partake in this thread b/c I def have some that I think are a "waste" but I look at it like this: if they made those, then my hopes for figs of people like Destiny, Siryn, Feral, etc. are alive and well. Matter of fact, Hasbro's ability to go so deep into the Marvel Universe catalog w/o killing the line is impressive! Keep it up!!
This right here. It’s pretty obvious that Hasbro wants to deliver Marvel’s entire library on a silver platter in any feasible way possible. Even if they have give up a slot for another costume variation of a popular character to justify that “anchor” that every wave needs to keep the line on the shelves at the big box retail stores like Walmart or Target. So it’s not a question of “if” when that character gets made. It’s all about the when and the how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly - and your personal belief is that it's a "waste" specifically because it isn't something you wanted... then it isn't a waste. Chances are there are some - maybe a lot of people who really wanted that figure - it is their Destiny, Siryn and Feral. And we're in a golden age where the figures that YOU want have never been a more realistic possibility. What a time to be alive.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Re: Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm
Samael13 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:32 pm
"BINARY?! WHY NO BAAAAAAAANSHEEEEEEEEE?! EASY PASS!"
Granted, Banshee is overdue...

I tried to make this point before in a different thread months ago, but I think some of the hot take "Hate this figure, why does it exist?" reaction is exacerbated by the Hasbro team wanting to make the reveals be as much about the surprise of what they are revealing as the actual reveal of seeing the figures for the first time. Often people come into the livestreams and other reveals as a blank slate hoping for info on their preferred rumored figures or waves, so I think some of that instant "I'm still waiting to see Excalibur after five months of teases but I get info on a re-released MCU BAF instead?" frustration comes out as an almost stream of consciousness when they are disappointed. I wish Hasbro would simply say when they send out the "Fan First" email that they will be revealing a full new Disney+ Wave, a Fan Channel release, a new army builder and a couple of deluxe figures - if they did that some of this reaction would be muted as anyone who reads that and then complains that they wanted to see a new X-Men wave just isn't paying attention. I don't see why that transparency hurts the reveals at all and people not interested in Disney+ MCU won't feel like their time is being taken up.

So I think some of that hot take instant reaction is bit natural, and it really doesn't bother me as the live stream is going on. It is the folks going into the (for example) Tigra thread the next day complaining that Tigra is a bad choice they don't want and it should have been X figure that is a different, more targeted whine I could do without (note, not sure that has happened in the Tigra thread, just an example).
Sure it would be nice if Hasbro gave a preview of what they planned to reveal. Do they have to? No. Should they? No. Does it make their stream worse because people don't know what to expect? Just because people have built up expectations in their head about what should be shown - they need to own their disappointment. It's the same for people who expected X-Men or Mephisto to show up in WandaVision. Was that show any worse because people got their hopes up about something that was based on theories? Not at all.

You COULD make the argument that Hasbro shouldn't be showing us sneak peaks if they aren't planning to fully reveal for x number of months. Clearly they wanted to show a production piece they had in hand for approval, but the full set was still a ways off before unveiling. Personally, I'd rather get a sneak peak and know something is coming rather than Hasbro deciding "[email protected]#$ it, we aren't giving sneak previews anymore" because people can't be patient for the reveal. It's coming. It could be in a few months, it could be in a year. Who cares. Be happy when you get it.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:19 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm
Or, you could reply that the term "nerd" is offensive and derogatory and the proper term is "geek", and shame that fan for being insensitive and inarticulate, and if at all possible ruin this person's life.
Is this true? I've been calling myself a nerd for decades and had no idea it had evolved into a slur. I guess it's okay because it's our word?
Samael13 wrote:
nor do I think they or their behavior should be called out and demeaned just because someone doesn't like their opinion.
I'm very interested how you reconcile this. If my opinion is that people being relentless negative and shitting on other people's excitement is detracting from the site, shouldn't I, per your "I think people should be free to post their opinions" position, be free to express that?
Right. People who get on the "well, it's a free country/freedom of speech" stance often forget that everyone is free to react as well.
Samael13 wrote: Where? I have literally not seen a single person suggesting that expressing *any* disappointment, no matter how politely or not matter the reason for the disappointment, is wrong. I just don't think it's true that's what people are suggesting.
I haven't seen it either. In fact, I can't think of a time anyone has suggested 'negative' or disappointed posts are no longer allowed in this thread. The only ones I've noticed that from (and I don't claim to have read every single post in the thread) are the ones jumping on the "well, now we can't have any negativity at all, huh?" bandwagon. I don't think it's deliberately misinterpreting the intent of the thread, but at least argue in good faith and attempt to see what people are actually saying.
Samael13 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm
I think Hasbro is interested to know what figures we want. I do not think that Hasbro particularly cares that people who don't give a shit about the MCU are "disappointed" that there's an MCU wave, and I especially don't think they care if someone who hates MCU figures thinks it's a "garbage wave, nobody wants," when there are dozens of other voices expressing their excitement.

...And, weirdly, this is exactly the advice that I would give to someone who makes a habit of shitting on every new release or every figure that isn't their most wanted. Don't care about the MCU? Just ignore the figures and the threads about them!
Yes, frankly a lot of us are tired of hearing it as well. I made a point earlier, likely in the Hydra Stomper thread, saying I need to make the time to go in every single comic figure thread and clarify I won't be buying those figures. It's impossible to have a discussion about MCU figures on this forum without at least one person popping in to throw in their two cents about everything listed in the title of this thread. It makes as much sense to me as going to a Transformers forum and complaining they haven't done a Whiplash figure from Iron Man 2 yet.
Samael13 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm
Again, where have I ever suggested that people aren't free to post their opinions within the scope of the rules? That was never suggested. I'm suggesting that people should be better community members and stop shitting on things that other people like just because it's not exactly the thing you wanted. I don't think it's a wildly unreasonable request, but it's clearly a request and, no fear, people will surely ignore it. People are free to complain "Hydra Stomper? How [email protected]#$ stupid. We get that before this other arbitrary figure?!" if they want. I'm merely suggesting that it doesn't add value to the community and that I think the site would be better without those kinds of things.
Right. It's so damned tired, especially these days, when someone reacts to a request with "oh, so now I'm not allowed to (insert extreme reaction in an effort to deflect)". No, we're just asking for basic respect and being treated like humans. I know it's difficult on the internet because you can't see the other person's face or at least eyes, but I can't express how impressed I am with some of the posters in this thread with the effort to have genuine discussions and convey their thoughts.
Enforcer wrote: Sure it would be nice if Hasbro gave a preview of what they planned to reveal. Do they have to? No. Should they? No. Does it make their stream worse because people don't know what to expect? Just because people have built up expectations in their head about what should be shown - they need to own their disappointment. It's the same for people who expected X-Men or Mephisto to show up in WandaVision. Was that show any worse because people got their hopes up about something that was based on theories? Not at all.
And that's what I meant with the pageantry. The three guys clearly have a good time and they do little performances etc. I don't think they should stop it. I'm just not into that. I want bitesize, but I'm not saying they should knock it off. I just want to find a summation after it's done. No harm no foul.

You're also absolutely right about WandaVision too. It's so important to remember how much YOU as the viewer are bringing to something as far as expectations etc. For me personally, binging something makes it a lot easier for me to be immersed and just take something as it goes, but the weekly thing lends to theories/personal expectations, and if I really felt like any of these shows were ruined because of it I would have to switch to the "just wait until it's over and binge it then" method. Thus far, the only show I've had disappointment over was F&WS but... it wasn't due to expectation as much as editing and plotting fumbles.

Eh.

Either way, I think the crux of your stance always circles back to self awareness/introspection. Which can be a big ask but certainly something everyone should strive for. I always TRY to react when someone expressed "I don't like what you said/what you said made me feel bad" with something other than "well, then the fault is your own". Yes, it's true that we give others the power to affect us but there's also nothing wrong with owning how you've affected others.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm

95% of my posts I feel are good and fun, but I can be like a dog with a bone when I see something that truly irks me.

Nova without his large star on his back? Bitched about several times. Comic Hyde BAF in a wave with zero new comic figures? Yep, bitched about it several times. Surfer in the Haslab? You betcha, bitch time. :lol:

Those all fall under the "This sucks, Hasbro, why'd you do that?" part, for me. But part of the reason I post it several times is because I know Hasbro reads the threads and I want to be sure they see my post ('cause I'm so important :lol: ) andI hope they don't repeat (what I consider) to be bonehead mistakes (Nova's back) or moves (the others).
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:54 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 pm
And we're in a golden age where the figures that YOU want have never been a more realistic possibility. What a time to be alive.
Very true. We got Rock Python. We may get Armadillo someday. Ya never know.

There are, however, at least a few characters that my be off limits.

At the 2019 SDCC (Or it my be 2018. I can't remember exactly which) I went into the Hasbro booth and Dwight came up and started talking to me. I think he remembered that I started the 80th anniversary of Marvel thread and me asking specifically for a Jim Hammond Human Torch. He explained, very nicely and with sympathy, why it was doubtful that would happen.

Now don't shoot me, but I can't remember exactly what he said. I *think* it may have to do with paying royalties to the creator's estate. Some of the Golden Age creators had different deals in place than the Silver and Bronze age guys. (FYI, that's the reason it took so long for Mattel to make some of the Charlton characters like the Question and Captain Atom back when they had the DC license).

Whatever, it doesn't look like we're going to get an Invaders Box Set anytime soon, at least not in Legends. I know they made one in the Marvel Universe scale a few years ago, but apparently something's changed.

And ya know what, that's perfectly fine. If we never, ever get the original Human Torch in Legends, it is okay. The world is not going to come to an end. There are more important things to worry about, and there are many, many more characters they CAN do.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:06 am

Right, I'm seeing figures every year that make me flash back to when I'd peruse the Marvel Universe Handbook as it's the only place I've seen them. Pretty amazing.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:06 am

TFitz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm
I post it several times is because I know Hasbro reads the threads and I want to be sure they see my post ('cause I'm so important :lol: ) andI hope they don't repeat (what I consider) to be bonehead mistakes (Nova's back) or moves (the others).
I actually think this is the motivation for a lot of people, whether they admit it or are even aware of it or not, to just drop by a thread of figures they aren't even interested in and say "Sucks, all the choices suck, sucky versions" because they think that they are doing their part to ensure it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately the vitriol activity got some shitty positive reinforcement when WB bowed to pressure and gave the Snyder Army their Justice League Cut - so some may think that strong negative feedback will help get their way,

It's very clear that the Hasbro team is sick of that. They laughed along when they showed Red Hood as the Angry Legends fan, and Shartimus and others adopted it as his personal avatar.., but inside the Hasbro team is saying "Yeah this is you, you screaming whining [email protected]#$."
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 am

Some of the Golden Age creators had their characters licensed in different ways to their publishers and wasn't just "work for hire" like most of the later work was considered. That's b/c they generally had the idea for their characters and brought them to the publisher and weren't just drawing a comic for the publisher at the time. Not sure what arrangement Burgos had with Timely. I know Bob Kane and William Marsten had a much better arrangement for Batman and Wonder Woman than their counterparts did. Didn't stop Kane from ripping off Bill Finger though.
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:45 am

Enforcer wrote:

Sure it would be nice if Hasbro gave a preview of what they planned to reveal.
So we agree! That's my whole point, not sure what the downside is to just letting people know in advance an outline of what they are tuning in for. Just seems like it would be a nice thing to do for your customers.
Enforcer wrote:
You COULD make the argument that Hasbro shouldn't be showing us sneak peaks if they aren't planning to fully reveal for x number of months.
Also my point - I like the surprise reveals and teasing, but think they ought to reel it in a bit if they are far removed from following up in a month or two - at some point it seems more like trolling when it is a lot later. In some ways this Wednesday was a microcosm - the What If? wave had been rumored for a while but not really alluded to by the team prior to this, so they announce it, have preorders up the next day, but it isn't due until February - meaning it will hit after a few waves hit that we haven't officially seen (even if we know why); they showed us Tigra the month before and we get the figure preorder, sort of following the Hercules reveal where we see the renders than the figure the next month; we get a couple of out of the blue reveals, which is fun; but some things they teased months ago (Johnny Storm, Cannonball, Excalibur) are not addressed. So the content of what they show, in a timeline sense, is all over the place and hard to predict, meaning it is harder to set expectations. Its the last examples that I think sets them up for some negative reaction - having the expectation that maybe this month we'll learn about something after months of hints isn't, to me, outlandish and some disappointment is predictable when it doesn't happen.
Enforcer wrote:
Just because people have built up expectations in their head about what should be shown - they need to own their disappointment.
If it was just in their head I'd agree, but Hasbro is priming that particular pump as well. Being mad because they didn't revel Armadillo (again) when we had no reason to think he would be revealed is odd - being annoyed that things they started hinting at months ago are still a mystery is more reasonable - or at least more understandable. And even if it isn't reasonable in your mind, it is how people seem to react - and sometimes we all need to own our own disappointment when people don't meet our expectations and accept that this is how some people will react.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:30 am

fac wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:45 am
Enforcer wrote:

Sure it would be nice if Hasbro gave a preview of what they planned to reveal.
So we agree! That's my whole point, not sure what the downside is to just letting people know in advance an outline of what they are tuning in for. Just seems like it would be a nice thing to do for your customers.
Enforcer wrote:
You COULD make the argument that Hasbro shouldn't be showing us sneak peaks if they aren't planning to fully reveal for x number of months.
Also my point - I like the surprise reveals and teasing, but think they ought to reel it in a bit if they are far removed from following up in a month or two - at some point it seems more like trolling when it is a lot later. In some ways this Wednesday was a microcosm - the What If? wave had been rumored for a while but not really alluded to by the team prior to this, so they announce it, have preorders up the next day, but it isn't due until February - meaning it will hit after a few waves hit that we haven't officially seen (even if we know why); they showed us Tigra the month before and we get the figure preorder, sort of following the Hercules reveal where we see the renders than the figure the next month; we get a couple of out of the blue reveals, which is fun; but some things they teased months ago (Johnny Storm, Cannonball, Excalibur) are not addressed. So the content of what they show, in a timeline sense, is all over the place and hard to predict, meaning it is harder to set expectations. Its the last examples that I think sets them up for some negative reaction - having the expectation that maybe this month we'll learn about something after months of hints isn't, to me, outlandish and some disappointment is predictable when it doesn't happen.
Enforcer wrote:
Just because people have built up expectations in their head about what should be shown - they need to own their disappointment.
If it was just in their head I'd agree, but Hasbro is priming that particular pump as well. Being mad because they didn't revel Armadillo (again) when we had no reason to think he would be revealed is odd - being annoyed that things they started hinting at months ago are still a mystery is more reasonable - or at least more understandable. And even if it isn't reasonable in your mind, it is how people seem to react - and sometimes we all need to own our own disappointment when people don't meet our expectations and accept that this is how some people will react.
I mean... sure. It's all just odd stuff to be upset about, or feel anything negative really. Same as the folks who get upset with a vendor for not getting a set of figures until 2 weeks after someone else. Completely beyond their control, and how much is your life really improved by having those figures 14 days sooner? I can see why the reviewers set up channels to get things early.... thousands of clicks depend on it. But for your average joe? Who cares if people on here have something before you do? Who cares if you have to wait a few more months before they reveal something? I just don't understand the people whose lives (granted there are probably a lot of things going on for them) who are impacted by having to wait for something like this. To the point where they feel the need to vocalize their displeasure. The Hasbro team can't say it, because for them it actually is their livelihood - but for everyone else? They're just toys. I just don't think it's a healthy thing to normalize getting upset about.

I say this as someone who finally got an Unlimited Exclusive Rescue that's been sitting at my PO box since February 2020. Sometimes ya gotta wait. I really want it. It's a grail. But there is no point getting upset that I need to wait for it.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:57 am

DerRabbi wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 am
Some of the Golden Age creators had their characters licensed in different ways to their publishers and wasn't just "work for hire" like most of the later work was considered. That's b/c they generally had the idea for their characters and brought them to the publisher and weren't just drawing a comic for the publisher at the time. Not sure what arrangement Burgos had with Timely. I know Bob Kane and William Marsten had a much better arrangement for Batman and Wonder Woman than their counterparts did. Didn't stop Kane from ripping off Bill Finger though.
Precisely.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 am

I've personally read various long-term posters say X and Y figures are no good, lacking, have screwed up execution, bad artic, easy pass, wasted slot, etc.. If the posts are excessive and chronic, this has had only one impact on me: comedy. I'm like, Wow, they had another bad day. If it's well argued, then I think: Wow, that was a good post despite the funny drama.

I've also read various long-term posters say exclusively glowing, uncritical, worshipful, adoring, and selectively optimistic things about X and Y figures. They literally have difficulties saying anything other than unconditional positive love. It would hurt them if they confessed they secretly thought recent figure X and Y were actually boring shyte. Constructive criticism? No thanks, that's way too negative. These posts all have the same effect on me as above.

I've always been kind of astonished by those guys who come home from work and just go ballistic about how a figure or a whole line is pure shit. I mean, it's so over the top it's hilarious. Maybe you should have meditated or gone for walk instead of exploding online, looking for some elusive catharsis by shitting on a toy company. I'm also astonished about how defensive and sensitive some fans could get in their reaction, as if these words are literally violent wounds they are enduring. Words matter and I'm going to cry and all that. But the best scenarios are when just avg witty guys zing and punk both parties involved. Then things get balanced out. The disproportionate emotions and reactions go away. Adults realize they are losing their minds about little plastic men.

I'm totally about free speech. For me, it's all entertaining and/or informative. If someone is particularly fed up with another poster's behavior, voice your opinion to them directly. I'm for that free speech too. I recommend asking yourself before you post: Why am I reacting? Am I taking this too seriously? I also don't condone 'controlling' either - pretending to stand up for the majority for what's good and proper, when few really care at all.

I think the admins and mods at Fwoosh are doing just fine at regulating the posts. I have not lost an eye, or got my bones broken with sticks or stones during the 16 yrs I've posted at Fwoosh. The words typed here haven't hurt me none either. I hope y'all have remained as safe and entertained as I have been during my stay.

Btw, it's almost unforgivable that Hasbro didn't paint Dormy's eyes and mouth yellow. WTf? I'm voicing that opinion, however, because I've grown accustomed to high quality and attention to detail. So how's that for a negative/positive argument? You done bad cuz you normally dun me good!
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 am

Okay, this thread needs to wrap up soon before Enforcer gets Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :P

I’ve gotten pretty good at managing my impatience when it comes to waiting for new figures to arrives. It feel like I’ve been waiting months instead of weeks waiting for them to arrive, and it feels like I’ve had them for months instead of weeks after they arrive. So, yeah…a few extra weeks of waiting doesn’t matter in the long run…or even the short run for that matter.

As far as collectors being angry in general, my theory has always been that most of us are only angry for the few minutes we’re writing our angry posts, and then it’s out of our system by the time we get to the next site or even the next thread.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 am

Xavion2004 wrote:
Okay, this thread needs to wrap up soon before Enforcer gets Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :P

I’ve gotten pretty good at managing my impatience when it comes to waiting for new figures to arrives. It feel like I’ve been waiting months instead of weeks waiting for them to arrive, and it feels like I’ve had them for months instead of weeks after they arrive. So, yeah…a few extra weeks of waiting doesn’t matter in the long run…or even the short run for that matter.

As far as collectors being angry in general, my theory has always been that most of us are only angry for the few minutes we’re writing our angry posts, and then it’s out of our system by the time we get to the next site or even the next thread.
It was a slow work day :)
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:21 am

Enforcer wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 am
Xavion2004 wrote:

It was a slow work day :)
Wait, you work? I could swear 40 of you Fwoosh people don't. :wink:

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”