"This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8979
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:35 am

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Blingoman wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:14 am
I literally only want Armadillo and if anything isn't that, it's a HARD PASS

I don't know why this thread has gone on so long when someone got it right on the first page.
User avatar
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:48 am

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Hagop wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm
This thread is two things:

1. Lazy
2. Greedy

Thought we were talking about this thread and not Hasbro.

And to resume: MCU/Disney+ = CRAP.
User avatar
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FwooshTeam Ladies Man.
Posts: 9847
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:55 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm
Samael13 wrote:That has not been my experience, personally. People disagree sometimes/frequently about things like articulation or whether the costume details are correct or whether a character is the right size or the relative value of different base bodies, but that feels like a normal conversation, to me. Not saying it never happens, obviously, but it's not something I've noticed is especially widespread. Maybe we're just annoyed by different things, but those kinds of comments don't seem that common, to me. I also wonder how much of that happens in response the what feels like a constant stream coming from "haters." If there were fewer "garbage wave/easy pass/nobody wants this" responses to every new reveal, would people be as quick to jump on more reasonable "I'm not a fan of that articulation scheme/the color doesn't really seem right/I don't love the way they designed that hood" responses?
But why is not being a fan of articulation or color scheme any more acceptable than saying you are disappointed with the release?

I don't think that I ever phrase my opinions in the "this wave sucks" or "not buying this garbage" but what I do occasionally do is politely express that I am disappointed in a release, or that I won't be purchasing a figure. I will chime in sometimes and say "I'm disappointed that they are releasing figure X when they still haven't released figure Y" - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, nor do I think I should have to apologize for it.
Samael13 wrote:This is why I don't like when people play devil's advocate. How one responds will depend on whether you're being sincere or not. Assuming you are: I think you're conflating two different types of comments. Nobody (that I've seen) has ever suggesting that there's a problem with "calmly and maturely expressing opinions about releases, whether those opinions are positive or negative" or that we have some obligation to support everything that Hasbro does. That's not an opinion I've expressed, certainly, and it's not something I've seen anyone else suggest. "this wave sucks, what a wasted slot" *isn't* a maturely expressed opinion, it's just vitriol. It doesn't encourage meaningful conversation or provide Hasbro with any more feedback than calling them "Hasblow" does. It's the difference between "That shirt clashes with those pants" and "you look like shit." One helps the person correct the problem, the other is just word vomit.
I don't agree. It's not vitriol, it's just a contrasting opinion. Sure, some people express it in a more articulate and mature way - and I wish those that don't would - but I really don't see how someone expressing their disappointment with a release in anyway robs someone else of their potential excitement or enjoyment. I think it does encourage meaningful conversation about what figures Hasbro does or doesn't release. And unlike some other people who posted in this thread saying that Hasbro doesn't care what we think about what figures they put out, I think Hasbro does pay attention. They even talk about Fwoosh Top 10 lists during streams.
Samael13 wrote:Oh no, we're inceptioning! Now you're complaining about my complaining about complaints!

I mean, yeah, I'm absolutely complaining. 100%. As noted above: my criticism isn't with *complaints*, it's with a specific type of non-complaint/gripe that has, *I* think, become pretty ubiquitous. But, "so pissed?" Hardly. After repeatedly seeing posts of this type on two different threads during the livestream, I made a *joke* thread with the hopes that it might prompt some discussion and/or offer some levity. I think it's been successful on both fronts. If you got "pissed" from that, you're reading the mood all wrong. I find the constant negativity tiresome and it detracts from my enjoyment of this site, but I'm not *angry* about it. I raised the issue in what I thought was at least a moderately humorous way.

I'm no stand-up comedian, but I thought the bit about Galactus' herald was at least chuckle-worthy.
It's a shame that people expressing dissenting opinions detracts from your enjoyment of the site, but again - just ignore and don't engage with what doesn't interest you. Just like I choose to skip and not engage with posts that I don't have any interest in. Are any rules being violated? If not, I think people should be free to post their opinions. I'd love if some posters expressed their opinions more articulately, but I don't think they should be barred from expressing anything as long as they're not violating any site rules, nor do I think they or their behavior should be called out and demeaned just because someone doesn't like their opinion.
Samael13 wrote: That's just pissing on other people's excitement because you're (the general "you," not you specifically) not interested in a character/characters. Why are we supposed to pretend that those kinds of complaints are somehow the same as "I prefer single elbows because it preserves the sculpt" or "I wish they skipped the butterfly joint on this one, because it breaks up the costume in a weird way"? They're not the same.

It's also not necessary or particularly good manners to just word vomit out every negative/pissy thought that passes through our brains. If someone is really pumped about an upcoming figure that we're not, we don't have to tell them we think it looks like shit and we hate that character. we can just be happy for them that they're getting a character they're excited about. Or we can just say nothing and let them bask in the glow of happiness.
Or they can express their opinion - which in no way impacts your own - and you can choose to not engage with it if it doesn't interest you. Why does someone else saying they don't like something impact your ability to enjoy it?
Enforcer wrote:I think the point you're trying to make is that unless people bitch and complain change won't happen. To that i say nay, sir. Nay. People can constructively raise issues about shortcomings of a figure. Choices made. This thread is for the one-note posters who offer nothing in the way of critical thought. Just "sucks". "Shit figures". "Shit characters". The difference is subtle yet.. not at all.
So if people express their disappointment with a release in a more adult-like fashion then, you wouldn't take issue? Because I think expressing dissatisfaction with releases can be constructive, too.

I don't think I'm a one-note poster; not all of my posts are about being disappointed. But I'll express those opinions, too, sometimes - politely. I hope that doesn't disrupt anyone else's enjoyment, as that's never my intent.

But the real issue is that this thread ISN'T just about those one-note posters - it has unsurprisingly devolved into bashing the posting of opinions indicating any kind of disappointment with a release, no matter how those opinions are expressed (articulately or not). Which inherently implies bashing those who express those opinions. So what's worse? Bashing a toy, or bashing a person?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah I... guess you are reading this thread differently than intended. Disappointment is fine. We all get disappointed. We all talk about it. This isn't the thought police. In no way is this intended to be that way. People who are just generally negative, or present their opinion as fact, or add nothing more than "sucks" "Hasbro sucks" "Not what I wanted, that sucks" and do so with zero self awareness... this thread is just ripping on that. The YouTube stream is embarrassing to collectors because that type of shit is all you see. "These toys are garbage" is a good indicator that you are one of these people.

It most certainly is about those one-note posters. I get that you want to "protect the people" - but some people just have zero self-awareness and this thread is outlining pretty well what that looks like. We definitely are bashing a type of poster that brings nothing to the hobby except vitriol and negativity. You can be disappointed. You can voice those opinions. No one said that you can't or shouldn't. The Hasbro team is sick of it, too. You can advocate for people's right to be an asshole... fine. But no one actually likes assholes.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9185
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:04 pm

I was just told by another “fan” that I’m not a true “nerd” after I discovered that “Marvel” and “DC” are not in fact the “same” company…

Whatever. Everything I come into contact with sucks anyway so this might as well too…..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FwooshTeam Ladies Man.
Posts: 9847
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Ben Reilly is DC.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9185
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Enforcer wrote:Ben Reilly is DC.
Until he switched over Topps Comics to become Scarlet Spider. Yes. I know this now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FwooshTeam Ladies Man.
Posts: 9847
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Well... I'm glad you know that.

Now.
User avatar
Samael13
is way smarter than you
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bean town...
Posts: 6851
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm
But why is not being a fan of articulation or color scheme any more acceptable than saying you are disappointed with the release?
I don't think it's possible to answer this question without knowing more information.
You're disappointed for a reason. You might be disappointed *because* of the articulation, or disappointed *because* of the color scheme. I'm pretty sure that everyone thinks those are reasonable conversations, right? Are you disappointed with the release merely because it exists and some other thing doesn't? I don't think there's any question where I fall, there, but ultimately, if there's *nothing* about a character short of it being a completely *different* character that would make you not be disappointed, maybe you can just... not say anything? People *can* express their utter disdain for the existence of the character, I just wish that people wouldn't.
I don't agree. It's not vitriol, it's just a contrasting opinion. Sure, some people express it in a more articulate and mature way - and I wish those that don't would - but I really don't see how someone expressing their disappointment with a release in anyway robs someone else of their potential excitement or enjoyment. I think it does encourage meaningful conversation about what figures Hasbro does or doesn't release. And unlike some other people who posted in this thread saying that Hasbro doesn't care what we think about what figures they put out, I think Hasbro does pay attention. They even talk about Fwoosh Top 10 lists during streams.
We'll have to agree to disagree. "This wave sucks, what a wasted spot" is absolutely vitriol, to me. Being vitriol doesn't mean it's not an opinion. Being an opinion does not make it inherently interesting, and it doesn't mean it contributes in a positive way to the community. It's devoid of substance; it's just empty negativity, and it drags the site down. I think it *does* rob the threads of the excitement of new reveals and upcoming figures. It does decrease some people's enjoyment to have every new thread and new reveal turn into the same hyperbolic griping. Studies on negativity and complaining back that up. See, for example, the negativity bias. Or the impact of that constant complaining/negativity has on friendships/relationships. For that matter, think of times when you've been at a game night or a get together and someone spent the whole time endlessly bitching and complaining about things, and tell me that was an enjoyable a night as one where everyone was sharing their excitement.

I think Hasbro is interested to know what figures we want. I do not think that Hasbro particularly cares that people who don't give a shit about the MCU are "disappointed" that there's an MCU wave, and I especially don't think they care if someone who hates MCU figures thinks it's a "garbage wave, nobody wants," when there are dozens of other voices expressing their excitement.
It's a shame that people expressing dissenting opinions detracts from your enjoyment of the site, but again - just ignore and don't engage with what doesn't interest you.
It's a shame that you're repeating this straw man. I have repeatedly explained that it's not an issue of "expressing dissenting opinions" and have described what it is that I'm unhappy about. Is this the devil's advocate bit at play? I would note that there seem to be a lot of people who understand exactly what I'm talking about, too, so I don't think it's that I've been unclear.

And, weirdly, this is exactly the advice that I would give to someone who makes a habit of shitting on every new release or every figure that isn't their most wanted. Don't care about the MCU? Just ignore the figures and the threads about them!
Just like I choose to skip and not engage with posts that I don't have any interest in. Are any rules being violated? If not, I think people should be free to post their opinions.
Again, where have I ever suggested that people aren't free to post their opinions within the scope of the rules? That was never suggested. I'm suggesting that people should be better community members and stop shitting on things that other people like just because it's not exactly the thing you wanted. I don't think it's a wildly unreasonable request, but it's clearly a request and, no fear, people will surely ignore it. People are free to complain "Hydra Stomper? How [email protected]#$ stupid. We get that before this other arbitrary figure?!" if they want. I'm merely suggesting that it doesn't add value to the community and that I think the site would be better without those kinds of things.

But that's just, like my opinion, man.
nor do I think they or their behavior should be called out and demeaned just because someone doesn't like their opinion.
I'm very interested how you reconcile this. If my opinion is that people being relentless negative and shitting on other people's excitement is detracting from the site, shouldn't I, per your "I think people should be free to post their opinions" position, be free to express that?
Or they can express their opinion - which in no way impacts your own - and you can choose to not engage with it if it doesn't interest you. Why does someone else saying they don't like something impact your ability to enjoy it?
It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the product. It detracts from my enjoyment of the *site*.

If someone hates pizza and spends their days screaming and ranting about how pizza is bullshit and only idiots like it, it doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of pizza. If someone hates pizza and spends their days *standing right in front of my favorite pizza place*, screaming and ranting about how pizza is bullshit and only idiots like it, it would likely detract from my enjoyment of spending time at my favorite pizza place.
But the real issue is that this thread ISN'T just about those one-note posters - it has unsurprisingly devolved into bashing the posting of opinions indicating any kind of disappointment with a release, no matter how those opinions are expressed (articulately or not). Which inherently implies bashing those who express those opinions. So what's worse? Bashing a toy, or bashing a person?
Where? I have literally not seen a single person suggesting that expressing *any* disappointment, no matter how politely or not matter the reason for the disappointment, is wrong. I just don't think it's true that's what people are suggesting.
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:04 pm
I was just told by another “fan” that I’m not a true “nerd” after I discovered that “Marvel” and “DC” are not in fact the “same” company…
Well, you should feel bad about yourself, and frankly people who know you should be embarrassed and ashamed, you should be shunned and your family should disown you.

Shame.
Shame.
Shame.

Or, you could reply that the term "nerd" is offensive and derogatory and the proper term is "geek", and shame that fan for being insensitive and inarticulate, and if at all possible ruin this person's life.

Its a tough call but I feel these are the only two true options.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9185
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm

fac wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:04 pm
I was just told by another “fan” that I’m not a true “nerd” after I discovered that “Marvel” and “DC” are not in fact the “same” company…
Well, you should feel bad about yourself, and frankly people who know you should be embarrassed and ashamed, you should be shunned and your family should disown you.

Shame.
Shame.
Shame.

Or, you could reply that the term "nerd" is offensive and derogatory and the proper term is "geek", and shame that fan for being insensitive and inarticulate, and if at all possible ruin this person's life.

Its a tough call but I feel these are the only two true options.
I was also being completely sarcastic and I don’t know how to actually hurt a dude I just made up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
greensborohill
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 pm

I could partake in this thread b/c I def have some that I think are a "waste" but I look at it like this: if they made those, then my hopes for figs of people like Destiny, Siryn, Feral, etc. are alive and well. Matter of fact, Hasbro's ability to go so deep into the Marvel Universe catalog w/o killing the line is impressive! Keep it up!!
User avatar
Samael13
is way smarter than you
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bean town...
Posts: 6851
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:24 pm

Your avatar is the perfect one for that sentiment; it looks like he's giving me a pep talk. "Keep it up, Samael13!!"
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9185
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 pm

greensborohill wrote:I could partake in this thread b/c I def have some that I think are a "waste" but I look at it like this: if they made those, then my hopes for figs of people like Destiny, Siryn, Feral, etc. are alive and well. Matter of fact, Hasbro's ability to go so deep into the Marvel Universe catalog w/o killing the line is impressive! Keep it up!!
This right here. It’s pretty obvious that Hasbro wants to deliver Marvel’s entire library on a silver platter in any feasible way possible. Even if they have give up a slot for another costume variation of a popular character to justify that “anchor” that every wave needs to keep the line on the shelves at the big box retail stores like Walmart or Target. So it’s not a question of “if” when that character gets made. It’s all about the when and the how.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
vicious7171
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: MN
Posts: 952
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:35 pm

We need a she-hulk that looks like the one on the back of the box of her new fan channel figure! I really like the most-recent releases but we need her BIGGER!

Also, retire the skinny female bucks with rubbery legs and single elbows, and those jazz hands while you're at it!
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm
I was also being completely sarcastic and I don’t know how to actually hurt a dude I just made up.
Problem solved then (I was also being sarcastic about being shamed or vengeful, just to be clear...)

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”