"This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Hagop
Pietro's Running Mate
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm

This thread is two things:

1. Lazy
2. Greedy
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Re: "This sucks"/"wasted spot"/"Why this and not that"/"garbage"/"Easy pass" general negativity thread

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:42 pm

The YouTube Fan First Stream Chat of Fwoosh.
KingMCUCollector
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:27 pm
KvHulk wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm
This thread sucks. It could've been so much better, but it has failed at that. I can only hope this thread will be rebooted with better content in the future.

I am so... disappointed.

You forgot to mention it's in the wrong costume, one nobody would want, because you specifically do not want it. Bonus points if you mention how you pride yourself on not watching the MCU and not reading modern comics but still expect the Legends team to cater to your tastes above all others.
This…is just great!
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:14 pm

I think too many heavily themed waves being released and/or revealed too close together is what leads to a lot of this tension.

I realize that all ML waves are themed to an extent, but there was still a “something for everyone” approach that seems to be missing more often than not lately. I feel like we’re seeing more waves where nearly all of the figures (excluding the BAF) are tied directly to the theme and/or have little to no other exposure in the wider comic accurate Marvel Universe outside of that theme.

I think that’s the key. Have a What If? wave with à What If? build a figure, but use 2 or 3 of those 7 slots to throw out a bone from the Fwoosh Top Ten and maybe an Inhuman, a Thunderbolt, a New Warrior, etc.

I honestly believe that a What If? wave with five What If? figures, a What If? BAF, and for argument’s sake, Speedball and Crystal, gets a much different overall response.
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:14 pm
I think too many heavily themed waves being released and/or revealed too close together is what leads to a lot of this tension.

I realize that all ML waves are themed to an extent, but there was still a “something for everyone” approach that seems to be missing more often than not lately. I feel like we’re seeing more waves where nearly all of the figures (excluding the BAF) are tied directly to the theme and/or have little to no other exposure in the wider comic accurate Marvel Universe outside of that theme.

I think that’s the key. Have a What If? wave with à What If? build a figure, but use 2 or 3 of those 7 slots to throw out a bone from the Fwoosh Top Ten and maybe an Inhuman, a Thunderbolt, a New Warrior, etc.

I honestly believe that a What If? wave with five What If? figures, a What If? BAF, and for argument’s sake, Speedball and Crystal, gets a much different overall response.
Yeah, they usually snuck in obscure characters in mainstream waves. They're missing opportunities, but Disney probably wants them to be more exclusive with their IP's.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm

Ugly title for an ugly thread. A+

I can’t be the only one who gets excited about things they don’t want. I like saving money. A whole wave of figures I don’t need with a BAF I don’t need is the biggest relief.
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm

My favorite: “Lazy money grab from Hasbro.”
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:36 pm

The amount of actual negativity isn’t nearly what it’s made out to be. It’s like everything else lately. You pull out a red hanky and you’re automatically labeled a Blood. You wear a pair of blue socks, and you’re a Crip. Everyone has to be conveniently labeled and placed into a bucket.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Why are crotches exploding, and why is white residue everywhere? Hasbro is killing teh line!
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:01 pm

…and no…an entire wave of Marvel Legends dedicated to one television program on one streaming network that hasn’t even aired yet and features one-off takes on the characters in the context of 82, 74, or 60 years of published history (depending on what benchmark you use) isn’t going to be universally well received.

Does that excuse blatantly nasty comments on that wave’s thread that don’t encourage any sort of civilized discourse on the topic where dissenting opinions can be respectfully expressed? No. But part of the solution is looking beyond the nasty comments to find the true source of the frustration and addressing it in a positive manner so that the people making those comments realize that they can and will be heard without having to resort to being ugly about it.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm

I just came here to let you all know that I won't be buying these. Crap. Crap. Megacrap.

I feel better now that it's out there for everyone.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm
I can’t be the only one who gets excited about things they don’t want. I like saving money. A whole wave of figures I don’t need with a BAF I don’t need is the biggest relief.
Right. I would've been much more snippy if the What If? wave BAF was a comic-based Uatu. Instead, I just get to skip the whole wave and not worry about it at all.

That said, I think the premise of this thread is a bit over-stated. Opinions aren't that big a deal, you just ignore the ones you don't like. This is really low-stakes stuff we talk about here.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:24 pm

Some collectors are wasted slots. It's probably the biggest issue discussed at Hasbro's Monday meetings.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:28 pm

So what’s the take away?

How many Marvel action figures has Hasbro released in 2021 alone?

Conservatively speaking 50?

I’m sorry out of the 50 action figures you found 20 acceptable to your desires…at this pace you may get a total of 30-40 action figures this year you can build in your collection. Sorry it’s not 70.

Are we good?

I don’t see any take always to address with the griping. You didn’t make x figure and you did y. X is more essential than y.

I do find criticisms such as articulation points, paint apps, accessories, and even chosen look as good critical conversation points for that which exists. That which doesn’t exist is feedback they solicit. What is it the fans want to see is what the team will ask. Never ever have the team said tell us which characters you do not want. So top ten lists. Even Shartimus rattling off 30 characters he’d like is more valuable than I don’t like x. Ultimately sales numbers talk more than I don’t like comments. Regarding character selection.

So if it’s important to your inner peace and you want a character not made…make/commission it yourself.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:29 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:33 am
Honestly? No, I sincerely don't believe that it would, but that's not what anyone has suggested, anyway.

"This wave sucks" and the like are not lively debate. "Why isn't this some other character?" or "this is a wasted spot" aren't valid criticism. They're whining, and they add nothing to any real conversation about... well... anything. And, yeah, there are people who take it to unfortunate extremes with the endlessly complaining the hyperbolic whining. I can't stop them from doing it, but I don't have to pretend that it's somehow contributing to "lively debate." Also, frankly, are people really coming to a thread about the newest Marvel Legends wave looking for a "lively debate"? I *want* to see that people are pumped and excited about X, Y, Z character that they didn't expect to get made. I want to hear about how it completely someone's favorite team or how they're looking forward to seeing it on their shelves.

And this isn't some request that people never offer critique, which is what people keep spinning it as. I'm speaking only for myself, but I'm calling out a pretty specific type of complaint. Criticism about articulation, costume details, size, sculpt accuracy, etc... that's all fair game! "I don't understand why they didn't include butterfly joints on this one" might illicit a response about why someone is glad they didn't because including them would have broken up the costume details.

But, no, I genuinely do not find the nigh endless bitching about how entire waves are "garbage" to be conducive to any kind of lively debate.

And it's almost always the same few people, in basically every thread, with the same complaints, over, and over, and over. It's not interesting, and it detracts from lively conversations, it doesn't add to them.
May I make a suggestion? In your user control panel there's a feature called Friends and Foes. If it's really "the same few people" that are bothering you, you can easily put them on ignore and then you don't have to read their comments anymore.

I'm going to make another suggestion to the powers that be that probably won't go very far, but I'll throw it out there anyway: Maybe create a sub-forum for fans of the comic figures that aren't all that thrilled about movie characters. That way they'll have a space to call their own and won't have to worry about what the movie fans think. And the movie fans can discuss what they love without having to worry about the comic fans bringing them down. And fans of both can use both boards.

I mean, I have grandkids. And when they start feuding, fussing, fighting and carrying on, I just separate them. And peace reigns.

Just a suggestion. Do as you will.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”