2022 - Happy Anniversary Marvel Legends

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2022 - Happy Anniversary Marvel Legends

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Left Field wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:58 pm
Not pleased with the Cap preview pic on Rec instagram, even if he used a filter. Looks fairly dark and shiney.

Just glad I waited on P.O. want to see better in hand pics.
Left Field
Veteran Slugger

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:20 am

Aleks wrote:
Left Field wrote:
Not pleased with the Cap preview pic on Rec instagram, even if he used a filter. Looks fairly dark and shiney.

Aleks, that looks so much better holy crap. I thought they went way extreme with the color but I am totally on board with how that appears. I was hopeful the tone would be somewhat changed in production because I was not a huge fan of the "baby blue". Glad I got a few of those old "Face off" shields sitting around.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 am

I gotta admit, I kinda liked the lighter blue better

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 am

His unmasked head looks much better, and that three shot with the 80th Thor and IM might actually inspire me to finally open those figures. Those look great together.

I didn't realize they actually put paint on each scale, and his stripes.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 am

Have we seen the back of the box? Are there no pictures of the rest of the figures/Toad?
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:57 am

That's not the color I was expecting Cap to be. I'm fine with this, but I'll get it if people are disappointed by it.
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am

He looks more or less the same hue as ML1 Cap from back in the day, which makes a fair amount of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Aleks wrote:
Left Field wrote:

I love that blue.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Rob W wrote:He looks more or less the same hue as ML1 Cap from back in the day, which makes a fair amount of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree, I think the promo was alot closer to that shade. The legends ML1 was not that dark.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Seamus McSuperfly
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am

Anybody smell gasoline? Just me?
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 am

Kenobi wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:53 am
Last time I asked this was back in October, so how have you guys justified spending $33 on these figures from the greedy little bastards at Hasbro? Has your opinion changed or still defending this joke of a price?

I got this for $40 retail from McFarlane with better sculpting.

vs $33 retail from Hasbro that should have been no more than $25

Like damn a 2 cent cardboard backdrop I could print at home and 87 cents worth of plastic vs 3 more figures. Tough decision.
The McFarlane stuff might be better sculpted (although I'd argue that it's subjective and those particular figures look like shit), but the articulation will be barely usable and they'll likely break within seconds of handling.
BAT
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am

That BWL/Crows set is a non-representative set, atypical of Todd's usual pricing. On first release with a BAF part, those were each $25. Usual pricing for ML with a BAF part is something like $23, so prices are comparable. True that McF has more unique sculpting, but with ML you get alternate heads and hands, which are atypical of McF, who makes you rebuy the figure for an alternate head. Deluxe McF figures at $40 are also fairly comparable in terms of pricing and unique sculpting with deluxe ML releases. I don't think the value is that different between the two lines. Your question focuses in on the atypically best deal McF has offered and the atypically poorer value of the special packaging ML lines (anniversary, retro card back).
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:53 pm

I buy McFarlane stuff mostly for accessories and generic items to use with Legends. Violator makes a fantastic enemy for Asgardians, tons of power effects work well with Legends, and I can't wait for the incoming build-a-horse wave to get a black horse for Legends figures...pre-ordered that whole wave while Target was doing their buy 2, get 1 free sale.

McFarlane is a step or two behind the Legends team overall, but they do some really great stuff at times--and as noted at a surprisingly great price. Too bad he's on that "collectors don't care about scale, they just want something that looks great on a shelf!" trip, because he's flat-out wrong. I mean, he's right, it's just that going with a 1:10 scale instead of 1:12 excludes more collectors than it adds, so it's just inane. I'd but a LOT of McFarlane stuff if he was doing 1:12, but right now I buy almost none except when it's something that works with Legends like the build-a-horse.

Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm

Kenobi wrote:
Last time I asked this was back in October, so how have you guys justified spending $33 on these figures from the greedy little bastards at Hasbro? Has your opinion changed or still defending this joke of a price?

Like damn a 2 cent cardboard backdrop I could print at home and 87 cents worth of plastic vs 3 more figures. Tough decision.
I don't feel the need to justify my expenses to random internet strangers; you spend your money on what you want to spend it on.
I'm glad you like that McFarlane figure. I'm not a fan, but to each their own.
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:08 pm

Kenobi wrote:

Warning! FRAT! :

vs $33 retail from Hasbro that should have been no more than $25
Putting aside the needlessly combative tone, I'll answer the questions as given.

Q: “How have you guys justified spending $33 on these figures?”

A: Opinions vary. Some of us have said we aren't willing to pay $33 for them; people have so far apparently been more receptive to buying this Captain America than the accompanying Iron Man, largely due to classic IMs having received 2 mass market releases in the past few years compared to classic Cap's 1, which was a Walmart-exclusive to boot. (Cap coming with more accessories than IM is also a factor in him selling out faster.) Regardless, the mark-up on these has been widely panned (and panned loudly) — I don't think I've seen anyone go to bat “defending this joke of a price.”

But for those of us buying them, the justification remains the same as it always is: we want the figure(s) more than we want the $33. While I agree with you that that McFarlane sort-of-4-pack does appear to be a much better deal than Cap, it's not in competition for my money, because I love Captain America and personally have no desire for Batman As Designed By A Fifteen Year-Old Boy & his Robin Retinue. So asking how I can pick the one that's a worse ‘deal’ than the other is like asking how I can justify buying peanut butter over tuna even though tuna's on-sale — sale or no, tuna is no substitute for peanut butter.

To be completely honest, it sounds to me like what you really want is for people to concede that McFarlane's DC line is superior to Marvel Legends. If that's what it'll take to get the chip off your shoulder, I'll bite: McFarlane's DC line has far better sculpting, articulation, character selection, paint applications, quality control, durability, packaging, and better and more numerous accessories than Marvel Legends, and all at a lower price-point. Anyone who still buys Marvel Legends is a fool.

(For the record, I bought the Marvel 80th anniversary Cap, IM, and Hulk, as well as the ML 20th anniversary Cap, but am refraining from buying 20th anniversary IM & Hulk unless I can find them at a discount.)

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”