Could Surtur open the door to more giant deluxe characters?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Could Surtur open the door to more giant deluxe characters?

Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

I think we’d only be getting MCU or very recognizable comic characters at retail. But I am hopeful for some more obscure stuff through Fan Channel with the price points for Surtur and Modok.
JoshuaKat
Avengers Assemble

Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Id be all in for MCU Frost Giants and Destroyer!

At first I was kinda surprised they went with Surtur before the other two but Frost Giants would need additional accessories for army building and Destroyer would need to be done in a metallic paint. So maybe Surtur coming 1st was a cost issue? And if he sells well it will prove they can put more budget into making the other 2.

My question is in the future how tall will they make MCU Structure because if they make her 13 inches she'd be taller than her dad.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

ig64 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:24 pm
I think they are absolutely testing the waters with Surtur and that it can open the doors for giant characters to be released at the deluxe price point. They are definitely pushing the limits of what can fit as a BAF in the standard ML packaging. I would pay $50-$60 to get giant sized characters like all versions of Pym, Atlas, etc. at a larger scale than previous giant person figures. I don't need them to be Sentinel size, but should be bigger than the Pym we got in the SDCC set a few years back. Hell, make it $70-$80 and pack in the regular sized version of the character too.
You know $50 is not a bad deal for those of us who often pay more than that for BAFs on ebay.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm

Honestly, with that 12" Spider-Man body, I'm surprised that they haven't retooled it for giant characters yet. All it would need are new forearms without the sculpted on web-shooter ports, and they would have a perfect base body. And once they start to make some money back on that mold, they could start adding on new giant base bodies for variety, kind of like they did with the regular Marvel Legends line.

For example, maybe do a fan channel Goliath from the Masters of Evil; all he would need is a new head, belt and wrist overlays, and boots.

And since they're slowly building the original Thunderbolts team, maybe they could next do a fan channel Atlas. He'd just need a new head, torso, wrist, and belt overlays, and boots, too.

Then, for the first mass retail release, I say do classic Giant-Man. He would just need a new head and belt.

Now, I'm not sure how many of these releases there would need to be, but, eventually, I think we could get new giant base bodies. A good one would be a female body, one that could kick things off with Stature:

With the 12" Iron Man, give him a new head, upper torso, hands, and shoulder pieces, and you could get a nice Annihilation: Conquest Ultron:

Of course, they could also retool upper legs for 12" Hulk, give him a new head and crotch overlay to give us Ultimo!

Eventually, I'd love to get a new 12" classic Captain America (maybe just upscale the 80th Anniversary Classic Captain America) to give us the Armeridroid:
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm

BILLIUM wrote:Honestly, with that 12" Spider-Man body, I'm surprised that they haven't retooled it for giant characters yet. All it would need are new forearms without the sculpted on web-shooter ports, and they would have a perfect base body. And once they start to make some money back on that mold, they could start adding on new giant base bodies for variety, kind of like they did with the regular Marvel Legends line.
I wonder if the reported strength of the pinless joints is a factor. Surtur is pinless; they could be waiting to develop new arms and legs for the existing 12” bodies.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm

september_death wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm
BILLIUM wrote:Honestly, with that 12" Spider-Man body, I'm surprised that they haven't retooled it for giant characters yet. All it would need are new forearms without the sculpted on web-shooter ports, and they would have a perfect base body. And once they start to make some money back on that mold, they could start adding on new giant base bodies for variety, kind of like they did with the regular Marvel Legends line.
I wonder if the reported strength of the pinless joints is a factor. Surtur is pinless; they could be waiting to develop new arms and legs for the existing 12” bodies.
I wouldn't be against them giving the 12" bodies pinless joints, so long as it can be done correctly and the parts aren't going to shear apart.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 18, 2021 4:22 pm

I don't want Giant-Man, Goliath (any and all of them), Atlas, Stature, Micromax (I know, unlikely), comic Frost Giants or any cosmic beings (Celestials, Living Tribunal, Eternity, etc) to be anywhere under 15" in height.

The ToyBiz Giant-Man and the Marvel Universe Sentinel are fantastic pieces and I want any and all size-changing or cosmic characters to be at least that size.

I could see this new deluxe size working well for MCU Frost Giants, the Destroyer, Mangog, Dragon Man, the Living Monolith (ha), the Champion and the Watcher.
OG_Venom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 2:52 am

BILLIUM wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm
Honestly, with that 12" Spider-Man body, I'm surprised that they haven't retooled it for giant characters yet. All it would need are new forearms without the sculpted on web-shooter ports, and they would have a perfect base body. And once they start to make some money back on that mold, they could start adding on new giant base bodies for variety, kind of like they did with the regular Marvel Legends line.

For example, maybe do a fan channel Goliath from the Masters of Evil; all he would need is a new head, belt and wrist overlays, and boots.

And since they're slowly building the original Thunderbolts team, maybe they could next do a fan channel Atlas. He'd just need a new head, torso, wrist, and belt overlays, and boots, too.

Then, for the first mass retail release, I say do classic Giant-Man. He would just need a new head and belt.

Now, I'm not sure how many of these releases there would need to be, but, eventually, I think we could get new giant base bodies. A good one would be a female body, one that could kick things off with Stature:

With the 12" Iron Man, give him a new head, upper torso, hands, and shoulder pieces, and you could get a nice Annihilation: Conquest Ultron:

Of course, they could also retool upper legs for 12" Hulk, give him a new head and crotch overlay to give us Ultimo!

Eventually, I'd love to get a new 12" classic Captain America (maybe just upscale the 80th Anniversary Classic Captain America) to give us the Armeridroid:
All this, but I’d also love to get Modern Giant Man with a Raz and Hank heads, also a Yellowjacket, Bill Foster & Tom Foster Goliath seeing as how they wore the same costumes. Wasp (Nadia Van Dyne), Ms. Marvel (Kamala) she’s grown a few times. Also a modern Atlas and Ant-Man (Scott Lang) that’s a scaled up version of the Ant-Man & Stinger two-pack, could also use a scaled up Stinger as well. I think there are plenty of giant characters they can do.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 2:57 am

I'd love for this thread's premise to be true, but I see Surtur peg-warming hard. He's the same size and price as the 12-inch line they tried a few years ago, but almost nobody knows who Surtur is. If Cap, Spidey, and Wolverine didn't sell at $50 I don't see how Surtur or most other large B- to D-list Marvel characters will.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 3:09 am

Surtur was in the most popular Thor movie, so I think people will recognize him just fine
dchimpy
Avengers Assemble

Wed May 19, 2021 3:12 am

I would be in for a Classic Giant Man, Watcher, Destroyer, and Titanium Man to start with. Plus, isn't this basically considered the same deluxe category as MODOK, just taller? $50 price point and all, plus couple bucks tacked on because it's part of the Infinity Saga theme?
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 19, 2021 3:35 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
I'd love for this thread's premise to be true, but I see Surtur peg-warming hard.
He's currently #1 in Action Figures on Amazon.

(And #3 in Pre-K for all those interdimensional demon loving babies.)

So dare I say, cue the Endgame Hulk gifs.
Warning! FRAT! :

PG-Superfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 19, 2021 3:57 am

My personal wishlist is:

Clint Barton Goliath. Pretty much the last major Kree-Skrull War era character left aside from Rick Jones and Wasp AND the last member of the Avengers Forever team needed if you count early Hasbro releases.

The Watcher. Absolutely. In my ideal scenario he gets the iconic big head but gets packed with a more proportionate retro head.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 19, 2021 10:49 am

Preacherpool wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
I'd love for this thread's premise to be true, but I see Surtur peg-warming hard.
He's currently #1 in Action Figures on Amazon.

(And #3 in Pre-K for all those interdimensional demon loving babies.)

So dare I say, cue the Endgame Hulk gifs.
Warning! FRAT! :

Yea. They'll also probably cancel most of, if not all, their preorders for him a week before release like they did the bad guys wave. I'm done with Amazon preorders. **** em.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MLNUT
CROM!

Wed May 19, 2021 1:13 pm

maczero wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:49 pm
I wonder if popularity is the deciding factor on which character becomes a deluxe figure. Are popular characters likely to become deluxe offerings while more obscure characters are destined to be BAFs?
If you're running a business, yes.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”