Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness wave 1

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness wave 1

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 pm

Would be funny if the title character wasn't in the wave at all though.

What follows is gonna be construed as a possible spoiler by some but it's based on something Cumberbatch said in an interview, and you know he's not usually one for revealing much of anything that will genuinely ruin the movie.
Spoiler! :
Cumberbatch made some noises recently about (maybe initially?) being concerned about his character even having an arc in his own movie, hinting at the massive supporting cast taking up most of the narrative.
Collector4612
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 pm
Would be funny if the title character wasn't in the wave at all though.

What follows is gonna be construed as a possible spoiler by some but it's based on something Cumberbatch said in an interview, and you know he's not usually one for revealing much of anything that will genuinely ruin the movie.
Spoiler! :
Cumberbatch made some noises recently about (maybe initially?) being concerned about his character even having an arc in his own movie, hinting at the massive supporting cast taking up most of the narrative.
That would be rather interesting, have we had that happen in recent memory? Other than exclusions like the OG 6 team in their non-Quantum costumes from Endgame, I think the only film that comes to mind, post Avengers 1, would be Thor TDW, but rather than not having Thor, they just had no wave at all and he didn't come until much later. Would certainly be uncharted territory.
Spoiler! :
That worries me a little, both from a narrative and figure perspective. Narratively, I'd argue that Marvel's weaker offerings, at least in my opinion, have been the ones where the title characters are present, but their films are used as a vehicle for other characters or narrative threads to be introduced, often at the expense of said title character. That being said, I have a tremendous amount of faith in Kevin Feige's creative vision and Sam Raimi's directorial capabilities, and I know the franchise is in good hands, so hopefully any concerns are moot.

From a figure perspective, I'm worried this is going to be a film that gives us more than a handful of waves worth of characters to represent, in a year already crowded with so much else, and we're going to massively inflate the backlog of figures being needed. Definitely not a terrible problem to have compared to the alternative, but then we're going to see how much of a struggle it is to get some of the earlier absentees like Frigga, Whiplash, etc.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Yeah... at this point I'm just taking the ride, narratively and collectingly. Really striving toward ridding the hobby of any anxiety for me and just getting the ones I like they make and trying to leave it at that.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Hopefully the MCU America Chavez figure will lead to a figure of the much dynamic visual design that is the original comics version of the same character, from Vengeance:
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:37 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote:Hopefully the MCU America Chavez figure will lead to a figure of the much dynamic visual design that is the original comics version of the same character, from Vengeance:
I'll pass on the wonder woman ripoff look.

But I'd happily take the invader Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:50 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:

As long as they included her eyeglasses, first day preorder for me :)

I want all of the All Winners Squad! Get the proper Whizzer out there! And a figure of Thin Man would be great.

But back to Vengeance, there are a few cool character designs in the series (that you might like moreso than America):

The female Black Knight and Ultimate Nullifier are very appealing. I particularly have always wanted an Egghead figure:
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:55 pm

America Chavez is more Donna Troy than WW to me.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:57 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

I want all of the All Winners Squad! Get the proper Whizzer out there! And a figure of Thin Man would be great.

But back to Vengeance, there are a few cool character designs in the series (that you might like moreso than America):

The female Black Knight and Ultimate Nullifier are very appealing. I particularly have always wanted an Egghead figure:
That egg head is the same design from the young masters of evil that fought the young avengers. Not familiar with the rest of those designs though

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:58 pm

september_death wrote:America Chavez is more Donna Troy than WW to me.
I agree. But same family design house for the most part

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:15 am

So based on spoilers....
Spoiler! :
seems like there WILL be a different look for Strange in this movie, in a sense, so I would guess that's how they'll have a title character figure in the wave without doing the same figure from NWH a couple months later.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:55 am

Figured Strange might change his look to something like this for DR2;

They have to sell new toys of course.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 am

Supposedly...
Spoiler! :
It's the live action version of his What If incarnation. Otherwise, seems like the original Strange is still in the same costume. Who knows though.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 am

I've seen the trailer and the What If thing seems true. The movie looks over-stuffed, as with all recent MCU movies. I'm not looking forward to it.

But maybe a new Mordo figure is on the way!
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm hyped for Dr Strange 2.

People feared Spider-Man NWH would be overstuffed, and it worked brilliantly. The way they're handling the Multiverse is actually really captivating.

How unfortunate for DC Films. :lol:
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:57 pm
Guardianmonkey wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

That egg head is the same design from the young masters of evil that fought the young avengers. Not familiar with the rest of those designs though

Recognized the Nighthawk (Joaquin Pennysworth) design, but not the rest. With as many varied versions of Nighthawk as Marvel has done, it’s a bit surprising that we’ve only gotten one Nighthawk. There’s still:
Joaquin Pennysworth
Squadron Supreme
Supreme Power
Would love to see more versions of the namesakes done.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”