I'm out of space...

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Magnuz
Tyrant
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: I'm out of space...

Tue May 11, 2021 2:09 am

Hrm, I just saw this thread and I don't know if it's been covered in the many pages but I'll share my preference for displays.

I operate on the cheap, I like the whole ikea style setups with bookcases or glass cases but the nearest ikea is over 2 hours away and frankly the stuff is expensive for what I'm doing. I spend too much on toys I need to save money where I can.

Another factor for me is kids, with a 2 year old and a 4 year old keeping my figures out of easy reach is important so those factors have lead me to utilizing wall mounted adjustable shelves.

Here's my main legends display:
I'm in the process of expanding the top section (villains) with a new shelf so it's still empty.

Side shot
I dont use any consistent risers just occasional blocks to setup certain groups or figures to maintain visibility. Baf waves means alot of figures that aren't always super important to me so I'm fine stacking figures deep and just trying to maintain at least a class picture level of visibility of each character.

Occasional extra display options like pinning to the wall or hanging up here and there but for me this has worked best. Floor space is a premium but I have walls, and very high ceilings (the lowest shelf in the display is 4 feet off the ground) and I like my figures not only away from the kids reach but also up and in clear view. Bookcases or other cases having figures on floor level seems like I'm not going to see the figures at all so what's the point.

Upright bars, bracket and shelves are not super expensive and it allows alot of flexibility in spacing more than most book cases.

This is what works for me at least, I'm not one to rotate out stuff, If I bought it I want to display it and it stays out till its replaced.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Raybot wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 pm
I used to have these as a 12x4 out in the room and it was pretty convenient to have the little compartments in the tops handy for sorting, but the wife thought the room was a little nicer looking with it moved into the closet. Had to remove a few shelf pieces to accommodate the weird beams on the walls and installed a middle divider for structure.

Question about your Iris cart configurations. If you buy multiple 6-shelf carts can you freely add shelves from multiple carts into one unit? I notice that in your closet you have some units with 6 shelves, some with 7, and some with 8, so I'm guessing you're mixing and matching the number of shelves in any one unit? Or did Iris used to sell them with more than 6 shelves?

If you can freely add shelves on top of others what's the tallest configuration that worked for you? You mentioned that before you moved them to the closet you had them in a 12x4 configuration--does that mean you stacked 12 shelves all on top of each other with no external support in-between? Were you confident in the stability of that configuration once loaded with action figures? And did you ever try higher than 12 and feel that it was sturdy or not sturdy?

Also do you have a feel for how many figures your 48 cases hold? Looks to me like you can fit 15 to 20 figures into each case, so I compute your cases as being able to hold somewhere between 720 and 960 figures, or less if you've got lots of larger figures or BAFs in them. Sound about right?
TheRealSmallville
Customized

I'm out of space...

Tue May 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Magnuz wrote:Hrm, I just saw this thread and I don't know if it's been covered in the many pages but I'll share my preference for displays.

I operate on the cheap, I like the whole ikea style setups with bookcases or glass cases but the nearest ikea is over 2 hours away and frankly the stuff is expensive for what I'm doing. I spend too much on toys I need to save money where I can.

Another factor for me is kids, with a 2 year old and a 4 year old keeping my figures out of easy reach is important so those factors have lead me to utilizing wall mounted adjustable shelves.

Here's my main legends display:
I'm in the process of expanding the top section (villains) with a new shelf so it's still empty.

Side shot
I dont use any consistent risers just occasional blocks to setup certain groups or figures to maintain visibility. Baf waves means alot of figures that aren't always super important to me so I'm fine stacking figures deep and just trying to maintain at least a class picture level of visibility of each character.

Occasional extra display options like pinning to the wall or hanging up here and there but for me this has worked best. Floor space is a premium but I have walls, and very high ceilings (the lowest shelf in the display is 4 feet off the ground) and I like my figures not only away from the kids reach but also up and in clear view. Bookcases or other cases having figures on floor level seems like I'm not going to see the figures at all so what's the point.

Upright bars, bracket and shelves are not super expensive and it allows alot of flexibility in spacing more than most book cases.

This is what works for me at least, I'm not one to rotate out stuff, If I bought it I want to display it and it stays out till its replaced.
This is actually the same setup I've been working with so far, I'm glad to know in a world of glass and Billy's that I'm not alone with this type of shelf system lol...the nearest IKEA is 8 hours from me & their shipping prices seem insane, so I threw up some shelves just like this. I currently have 8 shelves, each are 4' long and 1' deep because of the shape of the room they are in. I enjoy the flexibility they offer in terms of height, so taller figures with flight stands have the room they need and shorter figures don't have empty spaces above their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
does that mean you stacked 12 shelves all on top of each other with no external support in-between? Were you confident in the stability of that configuration once loaded with action figures? And did you ever try higher than 12 and feel that it was sturdy or not sturdy?
I think they're only sold as 6 shelf units. Each level is a modular, identical structure with a "ceiling" added to the highest one. Locking tabs secure each level to the next, so you can release the ceiling part and stack to any configuration. When I had a 4x12 I removed the ceiling portions and just stacked the second units directly on top to reduce any wobbling. With figures in the weight was never an issue, but I did keep the most crammed shelves at the bottom for stability since they were the least well sorted (all Cap, all Wolverine, all Spidey, all IM, etc)
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Looks to me like you can fit 15 to 20 figures into each case, so I compute your cases as being able to hold somewhere between 720 and 960 figures
Sounds about right but there's a lot of variance. An All-Spidey shelf might be tightly packed and hold over 20 since they're all so thin. I've got to get around to bagging my figures but I'd feel comfortable putting 15-20 regular sized figures in each shelf all bagged since there's less contact with the bags.
maczero wrote:I'm impressed with how neat and well organized your collection is. Unfortunately, I'm beyond the point where my collection can fit in a closet but at least you've inspired me organize things a bit better.
Thanks! I'm also way beyond that point too...that whole closet's just dedicated to Hasbro ML. Just about all my Toybiz ML is all out in my garage in a standalone storage cabinet. Plenty of overflow/random boxes I should sort out there too but they're out of sight and out of mind.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Raybot wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
does that mean you stacked 12 shelves all on top of each other with no external support in-between? Were you confident in the stability of that configuration once loaded with action figures? And did you ever try higher than 12 and feel that it was sturdy or not sturdy?
I think they're only sold as 6 shelf units. Each level is a modular, identical structure with a "ceiling" added to the highest one. Locking tabs secure each level to the next, so you can release the ceiling part and stack to any configuration. When I had a 4x12 I removed the ceiling portions and just stacked the second units directly on top to reduce any wobbling. With figures in the weight was never an issue, but I did keep the most crammed shelves at the bottom for stability since they were the least well sorted (all Cap, all Wolverine, all Spidey, all IM, etc)
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Looks to me like you can fit 15 to 20 figures into each case, so I compute your cases as being able to hold somewhere between 720 and 960 figures
Sounds about right but there's a lot of variance. An All-Spidey shelf might be tightly packed and hold over 20 since they're all so thin. I've got to get around to bagging my figures but I'd feel comfortable putting 15-20 regular sized figures in each shelf all bagged since there's less contact with the bags.

Thanks a TON for all of the pics and info! I've been doing measurements in my man cave for a few days now to see where I might fit these Iris storage racks. The Sterilite cases I use have risen $10 on Amazon over the last few days, so I'm guessing Sterilite has discontinued making them. Need to switch to something, and these Iris containers look like an improvement upon what I have since they're so easy to slide out to get to any given set of figures. I also generally like the smaller case size since my kids could easily lift the Iris cases holding around 20 figures whereas I have to move my Sterilite cases that hold 80 to 90 figures for them. I groan every time they want a figure in the case at the bottom of my stack, and the Iris rack solves that issue.

My only issue is the size. The depth from front to back is only 14.25", and you can't really put anything in front of them, so I'm not sure how to arrange them without them hogging far more effective space than a longer case would. That closet you have yours in is almost perfectly sized (although six to eight more inches of length on each case would be better) for those cases, but in my man cave's closet I'd still have over half of the closet's depth left since it's 2.5' deep, so I need to brainstorm some arrangement that works since Iris doesn't make other sizes and since I can't find ANY other container manufacturer that makes ANY kind of equivalent to this case with associated shelving.

My alternative is the one I mentioned earlier--I could just get an Ikea Billy, find a case that fits the size of the shelf almost exactly, and then buy extra shelves and space them to fit the height of that case. But it'd be much easier if I could just find a room arrangement that these Iris racks worked with.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 12, 2021 2:58 pm

Another thing I like about the small size and modular configuration of Iris shelf/case combinations--you could easily put them almost anywhere in any space. I could put a stack of 2, 3, 4, or whatever on my desk for incoming figures, or my favorite figures, or whatever. The smallish size is an advantage for some configurations, although I still find myself preferring larger cases for most of my storage.
Handsome
CROM!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm at work right now, so I can't take pics of my collection, but basically I've got two separate bookcases. One is X-Men. The other bookcase is Avengers, Spider-Man characters, and DC characters (mainly DC Universe Classics figures, as they have the "classic" looks available for all the characters and are a similar size to Marvel Legends).

I've pre-ordered about 18 Super7 Ninja Turtles Ultimates figures, and I'm hoping they'll reveal a couple other characters in their next few waves, so I'll have around 20 or 21 in total. And those are 7 inch scale, so a lot of them will be BAF sized compared to most of my current figures and they'll take up more room.

I was a huge TMNT fan as a kid. I was also a huge X-Men fan. I was not a fan of the Avengers or the Justice League. At all. So I'm honestly tempted to sell off all my non-X-Men figures. I was originally planning on just boxing them up and keeping them in my storage. But I don't see myself expanding my display any larger or getting a bigger place anytime soon, so I don't see the point in owning them just to keep them in a box. I might as well sell them to someone who wants them, and it'll help cut some of the cost of the Super7 Ultimates. Then I'd just have two bookcases on display, both filled with mutants. Because as a kid, Ninja Turtles and X-Men were my two biggest fandoms.

Have any of you ever sold off a large portion of your collection and regretted it later on?
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm

I say your best bet is to just keep the displays you have and rotate your selection of figures that you wish to display every season or so, and then store the rest in boxes or sealed in bags slightly out of sight. That way every figure you have eventually has a chance to shine, you get to appreciate it with a fresh set of eyes and you don't have to worry about extra costs associated with new displays or storage.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 pm

I too have had a crisis of "not enough space" that only got worse a year ago when my son was born and I had to give up my office so he could have a bedroom. My solution has been rotating displays. I swap stuff out somewhat regularly to keep things interesting. So display is only a problem as far as "what I want displayed right now" and my ongoing problem has been storage. So thats forced me to be extremely harsh on cuts to my collection and selling off large chunks.

I think a lot of us buy stuff just to have something new, knowing full well its not something we're going to want for long and thats the habit thats been hardest to break. Sometimes I just wanna muck about with something new for a few weeks and toss it on a shelf and forget about it but now that isn't really an option for me. I'm getting better but theres work to be done. And its harder when theres something I absolutely do want, and would keep long term but is not part of my active displays so now theres been a few times I bought something and opened it only for it to go directly into storage but at least I know that it WILL do on display the next time I rotate whatever that line is back into display. My work desk was for years my "cool stuff overflow" display area for things that don't fit into my home displays though 90% of that has become dupes of stuff I love so much I wanted extras to have on my desk.
Handsome
CROM!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 pm

panther10 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm
I say your best bet is to just keep the displays you have and rotate your selection of figures that you wish to display every season or so, and then store the rest in boxes or sealed in bags slightly out of sight. That way every figure you have eventually has a chance to shine, you get to appreciate it with a fresh set of eyes and you don't have to worry about extra costs associated with new displays or storage.
Yeah, rotating is a possibility. I just don't see myself replacing the X-Men or the Turtles with anything else. I have a couple of young nephews, I think I'll see if they want any of the figures, and then just sell the ones they don't want. I've still got time until the Turtle figures start coming in, so I've still have a while before I need to decide for sure.
scottwerdal
HULK SMASH!

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 pm

A job change and a move necessitated that I rotate the collection every few months. At first I was bummed but I actually think it’s better this way. Gets my eyes on figures that would have otherwise gotten lost in the madness, keeps things fresh and doesn’t make me look like the insane collector I truly am to the people visiting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”