I'm out of space...

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: I'm out of space...

Sat May 08, 2021 7:57 am

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX6FV6H/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I use these Iris storage carts. Each shelf is a fully enclosed scrapbook case so it protects the figures well and makes sure that they don’t get stacked on top of each other. Easy to see what’s in each too. The top shelf can be removed and you can just stack others on top as high as you want. They’re a bit pricey but they do a helluva job.

For the bigger stuff I tend to use these stackable hefty storage tubs with the hi-rise lids. It’s a nice collection and you can see they’re modular as a set. The hi-rise lids keep a ton of weight off the figures themselves.

https://www.target.com/p/hefty-18qt-pl ... lsrc=aw.ds
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 08, 2021 2:25 pm

maczero wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 am
Here you go:

https://www.target.com/p/3-drawer-mediu ... A-75666886

Actually picked this up today.

Another benefit is that you can remove the wheels and stack it on top of another set. There's also a bigger set if you need more storage.

Awesome, thanks! I did see those in Target a few years ago when I started buying the Sterilite stackables, but I ruled them out because I didn't realize you could stack multiples on top of each other so that's great to know. There was one other reason I ruled them out--I wanted containers that could be removed and carted around individually. But I may be willing to sacrifice that for an expandable, stackable solution, so thanks!
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Raybot wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:57 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX6FV6H/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I use these Iris storage carts. Each shelf is a fully enclosed scrapbook case so it protects the figures well and makes sure that they don’t get stacked on top of each other. Easy to see what’s in each too. The top shelf can be removed and you can just stack others on top as high as you want. They’re a bit pricey but they do a helluva job.

For the bigger stuff I tend to use these stackable hefty storage tubs with the hi-rise lids. It’s a nice collection and you can see they’re modular as a set. The hi-rise lids keep a ton of weight off the figures themselves.

https://www.target.com/p/hefty-18qt-pl ... lsrc=aw.ds

I saw those Hefty boxes at Target but went for something with clear walls and a clear lid to make identifying figures easier. That's why I went with the stackable Sterilites, which had an equivalent to that Hefty box but with a clear lid and that would also stack 2 side-by-side and fit with the larger containers.

Those Iris storage carts are EXACTLY what I was envisioning a few years ago but never found--shelves that could slide out and be transported individually but that also could stack the shelves for expansion, so THANKS! How many of them do you have, and how many figures fit in each? My initial impression is that each case looks a bit small, but they also make multiples sizes so I'm browsing their entire line.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 08, 2021 2:53 pm

The Rubbermaid used to make a box called the "photo and media storage box" that was close to perfect for 6" - 7" figures. I wish I bought more them.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 08, 2021 4:05 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:25 pm
There was one other reason I ruled them out--I wanted containers that could be removed and carted around individually. But I may be willing to sacrifice that for an expandable, stackable solution, so thanks!
You can remove the drawers and use them as individual containers but they won't have lids.
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
I saw those Hefty boxes at Target but went for something with clear walls and a clear lid to make identifying figures easier.

Those Iris storage carts are EXACTLY what I was envisioning a few years ago but never found--shelves that could slide out and be transported individually but that also could stack the shelves for expansion, so THANKS! How many of them do you have, and how many figures fit in each? My initial impression is that each case looks a bit small, but they also make multiples sizes so I'm browsing their entire line.
The Iris shelves are pretty roomy. They’re 14x14x3 so the depth is large enough for most of the figures Hasbro’s made. I bought 8 of the 6 tier carts to house the bulk of my ML. I reassembled them into 3 stacks of 18 to fill out the back of a little closet.

I used the Sterilite Hi Rise tubs I bought at Target. The lids aren’t clear but it’s not a problem for ID’ing toys since those are reserved for my Hulk figures or Army Builders. Hard to mistake a whole tub of AIM soldiers for a whole tub of Hydra guys.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Raybot wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 am
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
The Iris shelves are pretty roomy. They’re 14x14x3 so the depth is large enough for most of the figures Hasbro’s made. I bought 8 of the 6 tier carts to house the bulk of my ML. I reassembled them into 3 stacks of 18 to fill out the back of a little closet.

Whoa, I was wondering if they would stack 3 high for two reasons--if they were steady that high, and if the bottom unit would take the weight of two fulls sets on top of it. There are a few posts on Amazon suggesting that simply filling one unit with scrapbook paper was causing the bottom shelf to bow, so I imagined stacking 3 high full of action figures might do that, too. Do you have still have the caster wheels on the bottom units, or did you feel you had to take those off because they wouldn't take the weight of two sets of shelves on top of them?

Would you mind taking a few shots of your setup? There are two I'm primarily interested in--what all 18 look like set up, and what one box packed full of standard-sized figures looks like. I'm guessing I'll fit less than you do unless you've also got yours in bags like I will.

I spent about 2-3 hours yesterday looking at storage options, and aside from that Iris unit I didn't find anything I'm seriously considering. One idea I had was to filly an Ikea Billy bookshelf with containers sized exactly the same as the shelves and then just buy extra shelves to fit the container height perfectly, and I may end up pursuing that unless I go your route.
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 pm

I used to have these as a 12x4 out in the room and it was pretty convenient to have the little compartments in the tops handy for sorting, but the wife thought the room was a little nicer looking with it moved into the closet. Had to remove a few shelf pieces to accommodate the weird beams on the walls and installed a middle divider for structure.

Like just about all plastic carts, having the casters on will cause the plastic frame to bow and eventually warp. Best to just leave them off. Without them the things hold weight well. The shelves are definitely big enough for most figure. Strong Guy has plenty of vertical room. Even Sugar Man fit.

EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Raybot wrote:
I used to have these as a 12x4 out in the room and it was pretty convenient to have the little compartments in the tops handy for sorting, but the wife thought the room was a little nicer looking with it moved into the closet. Had to remove a few shelf pieces to accommodate the weird beams on the walls and installed a middle divider for structure.

Like just about all plastic carts, having the casters on will cause the plastic frame to bow and eventually warp. Best to just leave them off. Without them the things hold weight well. The shelves are definitely big enough for most figure. Strong Guy has plenty of vertical room. Even Sugar Man fit.

Awesome, thanks!!! That gives me a FANTASTIC idea how those carts could map to my collection, so I appreciate it greatly. Image
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Raybot wrote:

Good to know about the casters, thanks, makes sense. And I'm surprised Sugar Man fits, wow, taller than I anticipated. I would still use zip bags to keep accessories with the figures, so I should be able to stack figures and maximize space in the cases with no worry of paint scratching.
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm

causelessdemon wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:43 pm
DennyCrane wrote:You could always go the opposite route with "less is more" if just looking to display. As time goes on, I find myself gravitating more toward tasteful and arty over cramped and "hoardy". It's less stressful (once you get past that initial panic phase of needing it all).
That's where I want to be. Like, a shelf of just Wolverine fighting Sabretooth, Spiderman vs. some iteration of the Sinister Six. But that hoard it all mentality kicks in when nostalgia gets involved. I saw that Stealth Ironman and Modular Armor and realized just how ridiculous my collecting has become because I don't need repaints and variants, but I want them.

I do think risers would help immensely, same with flight stands. I've also thought about putting holes in my shelves for characters like Blink or Kitty Pryde to phase through.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've struggled with this too, and had to come up with a master list of characters I want, have, or will buy (if they are ever made). I gave myself a number and made myself commit to it. It was hard, but I now my rule is "200 or less" (I'm at 187). If I ever wanted to add a #201, I'd have to give up one I already have. Display-wise I advocate keeping a rotation -- smaller teams or match-ups (like your suggestions), while the rest stay in boxes until it's their turn to shine.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Well, I hit up Ikea over the weekend and picked up 5 half height Billy bookshelves. So my personal space crunch wont be a problem for quite a while...although I'm not sure that's a good thing. I used to have an artificial limit as well. Keep it under 100.....keep it at? No clue....I keep breaking some of my rules....but at least I'm thinking about it.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 pm

maverick10126 wrote:Well, I hit up Ikea over the weekend and picked up 5 half height Billy bookshelves. So my personal space crunch wont be a problem for quite a while...although I'm not sure that's a good thing. I used to have an artificial limit as well. Keep it under 100.....keep it at? No clue....I keep breaking some of my rules....but at least I'm thinking about it.
100 figures on five bookcases is extremely generous spacing, unless you’re into statues or dios.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon May 10, 2021 9:29 pm

september_death wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 pm
maverick10126 wrote:Well, I hit up Ikea over the weekend and picked up 5 half height Billy bookshelves. So my personal space crunch wont be a problem for quite a while...although I'm not sure that's a good thing. I used to have an artificial limit as well. Keep it under 100.....keep it at? No clue....I keep breaking some of my rules....but at least I'm thinking about it.
100 figures on five bookcases is extremely generous spacing, unless you’re into statues or dios.
I don't have any figures displayed on these bookshelves yet. My figures are split across 5 of the 4' floating shelves and one 6' floating shelf right now. But I was also referring to trying to limit myself to 100 Marvel figures. X-Men killed that fantasy. Still, even if I move everything I own to these shelves I don't think I'll fill them up.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 pm

Raybot wrote:

I'm impressed with how neat and well organized your collection is. Unfortunately, I'm beyond the point where my collection can fit in a closet but at least you've inspired me organize things a bit better.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”