I'm out of space...

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
wetwithwaterwings
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: I'm out of space...

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:05 pm

gpmartin414 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:19 pm
I tend to sell off entire sub-collections at once. I’d rather divest completely in something than have one or two, because with that comes temptation to buy the rest. For instance, this year, I sold off all my Deadpool figures that weren’t part of another team like X-Force Deadpool or the classic early ‘90s Deadpool, which I consider an X-Men villain. I’m not passionate enough about the character to have pirate and pants-down Deadpool.
I do the same and I find it to be quite helpful. Every figure in my collection is part of a team or display group, which makes it easy to skip one-off characters and guide my future collecting. One collection that I struggle with is the MCU, although I think I found closure with Endgame. However, the urge to collect more may spring up once the X-Men are introduced since they're my sole focus in the comic line.
scribb
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 01, 2021 11:30 am

As my new TMNT, SWB and MCU are automatically going into storage bins, I'm looking at my DCUC/Multiverse and MOTUC displays and wondering if it's time to retire them off display.....
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 01, 2021 3:35 pm

How do figures hold up in extreme temperatures? I have an unfinished attic that isn't climate controlled. I'm sure it gets over 100 on the hottest days and probably close to freezing temps on the coldest days of winter. Not that I plan on storing my figures up there but I am curious if anyone has stored figures under these conditions. If so, is there a way to protect them from extreme temps without investing in an HVAC solution?
FlexionDynamo
Customized

Mon May 03, 2021 5:27 pm

I bought 4 Detolf Cabinets when I moved, to my apartment, but only built two, mostly to make me prioritize my Displays...but I have two extras just in case, addiction.

I have a lot of Lego as well and this is how I handled the ever growing Display issue with those.

Clever displaying: Use all the Cubic Space with Hanging (flying) , Suction Cups to glass sides and rear glass, and Acrylic risers.

Curate: Instead of setting them ALL up once and looking at them, I change the displays to focus on a new theme (team) so its always fresh and I actually interact and clean them. The old display gets bagged and stored for 3 months. Then I do it again.

Replace: I try to only buy the best version of the Character I want for that display and will replace an older one and store in a tote or sell it. When a character has Multiple teams/Variants, I just swap out that variant/figure for another when I curate the display.

Focus: I didn't realize how many figures Hasbro released a year when I started and I ill buy older waves all the time, so my Focus is on Comic Style from my youth (80s/90s) with the occasional MCU figure. This greatly reduces the cost/space for me.

I hope you get to keep everything you want, collecting is about balance for sure. it can be the fun part of it too.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 03, 2021 6:26 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:14 am
I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but taking a decent sized walk in closet that doesn't get used and turning it into your own mini toy room / display works pretty well. Everything is still displayed and there's no feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff you have because, well, technically it's already in a closet and you just close the door.
I vouch for this option! The closets in my apartment are one of the reasons I jumped on it last year.

The dang clothes always get in the way, though...
PharOOO
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Comedian wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:11 pm
I don’t enjoy collecting anymore. I leave my toy rooms depressed because it’s just a freaking hoarding mess. I was out of space 5 years ago. I never thought we’d get such massive playsets and vehicles. I never thought every company would have a turn at licenses. I have no idea what I would get rid of. My only answer is to move to a bigger house but at this point, I need a warehouse.

I can’t even see what I have any more. First world problems I know, but I need to change something. This doesn’t even show my complete MOTUC collection or my 4x20 train tables.
I just read through this entire thread and saw some big collections but yours is massive! You have such a wide array of interests, one property alone would be more than another collector's entire collection.

I can totally understand the feeling of being overwhelmed but don't hate your collection; just slowly start to modify it. It took you 20 plus years of collecting to amass this gigantic collection, so containing it won't happen overnight.

I have about 45 big bins of loose figures and a 4-door closet of MOC figures so I know where you're coming from. If I displayed everything like you, I'd certainly feel suffocated by all this stuff.

What helps me is that I have a single bedroom where I display my collection. That room is perfectly organized, displaying the very best of the comic book, film, and cartoon characters I love. Each figure is spaced enough to showcase the character fully with no overlap.

It's refreshing, clean, and, mentally, a source of pleasure not drain.

It looks like all your stuff is in the basement so you should have some decent available space for storage.

For you, I would go section by section looking at each figure and asking yourself, "does this really need to be on display?"

I'll give you an example.
You have the original ML ToyBiz Rogue, ToyBiz Xtreme Rogue, the Juggernaut series Rogue, and the vintage Rogue all on display. Who do you display and who do you put away?
I would remove both TB Rogues (because they're ugly) and put those in a bin of like, redundant TB ML figures.
Depending on your preference of head-sculpt and color scheme, I'd keep only 1 of the Hasbro Rogues out on the display. The other, I would also put away in a bin, but with other quite nice Hasbro ML's but are also redundant, like 3-pack Cyclops and Wolverine.

I'm not saying to sell off anything now. This is more about de-cluttering your packed shelves for some breathing room.

Just make sure to mark the bins with the contents so, if and when, you decide to sell off some of these extras, you'll know what's in each bin.

I can go on and on but I'll stop for now.

Good luck!
JTMarsh
CROM!

Tue May 04, 2021 1:33 am

I vouch for this option! The closets in my apartment are one of the reasons I jumped on it last year.

The dang clothes always get in the way, though...
Looks great! Fortunately, thanks to addictive plastic I don't own any clothes!
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 2:14 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm
The bags go into a mix of 24" L x 18" W x 7" H and 16" L x 11" W x 6" H stackable Sterilite bins shown below. The smaller ones are roughly half the width of the larger ones and both sizes stack perfectly together if you put two of the smaller ones side-by-side. The bigger ones can even go on top of two side-by-side smaller ones. The bins being translucent on all sides helps me figure out what's in a box before I move anything around. The lids lock in place with the latches visible in the pic. You're looking at my entire collection here in these bins aside from what's on display. Target stocks these in all stores, although oddly I never see these specific container sizes on their web site.

Coincidentally I needed another one of these storage bins and found that Target no longer carries them, and they have no equivalent with multiple latches or that stack with the size I was using. I can still get them on Amazon, but nowhere else, so I don't know if Sterilite is discontinuing them or what, so now I need to research action figure storage again before I just buy up 10 or 20 containers for future use.

For those of you who store figures what do you store them in?

Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 2:26 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm
The bags go into a mix of 24" L x 18" W x 7" H and 16" L x 11" W x 6" H stackable Sterilite bins shown below. The smaller ones are roughly half the width of the larger ones and both sizes stack perfectly together if you put two of the smaller ones side-by-side. The bigger ones can even go on top of two side-by-side smaller ones. The bins being translucent on all sides helps me figure out what's in a box before I move anything around. The lids lock in place with the latches visible in the pic. You're looking at my entire collection here in these bins aside from what's on display. Target stocks these in all stores, although oddly I never see these specific container sizes on their web site.

Coincidentally I needed another one of these storage bins and found that Target no longer carries them, and they have no equivalent with multiple latches or that stack with the size I was using. I can still get them on Amazon, but nowhere else, so I don't know if Sterilite is discontinuing them or what, so now I need to research action figure storage again before I just buy up 10 or 20 containers for future use.

I've bought Sterilite containers at Lowes before. Not sure if they have the specific ones you need, but you may want to check there.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:27 pm
I bought 4 Detolf Cabinets when I moved, to my apartment, but only built two, mostly to make me prioritize my Displays...but I have two extras just in case, addiction.

I have a lot of Lego as well and this is how I handled the ever growing Display issue with those.

Clever displaying: Use all the Cubic Space with Hanging (flying) , Suction Cups to glass sides and rear glass, and Acrylic risers.

Curate: Instead of setting them ALL up once and looking at them, I change the displays to focus on a new theme (team) so its always fresh and I actually interact and clean them. The old display gets bagged and stored for 3 months. Then I do it again.

Replace: I try to only buy the best version of the Character I want for that display and will replace an older one and store in a tote or sell it. When a character has Multiple teams/Variants, I just swap out that variant/figure for another when I curate the display.

Focus: I didn't realize how many figures Hasbro released a year when I started and I ill buy older waves all the time, so my Focus is on Comic Style from my youth (80s/90s) with the occasional MCU figure. This greatly reduces the cost/space for me.

I hope you get to keep everything you want, collecting is about balance for sure. it can be the fun part of it too.

I second all these suggestions! I have a bunch of different interests, so my collection is really varied. It helps to winnow things down into different subcategories. For example, my DC collection is just Suicide Squad and magic characters (and The Question. Exceptions always made for The Question).

A big part of what helps me focus is theming. I don't like messy, cluttered displays and they're a huge pain with dusting. I'd rather have 6 figures with a rock-solid theme and a nice background than 12 figures in a clump. I really like that companies are selling diorama pieces and backgrounds now, they tie a display together and make a space feel fuller without buying as many figures. Same with power effects, like the ones Bandai Figuarts makes, and of course flight stands.

One of the things that's also helped for me is, essentially, developing my own themed displays built around my own continuity. I built a space display out of a war between Marvel Legends Star Force figures and Guavian Enforcers from Star Wars Black, because the whole idea and look had an 80s anime kinda vibe to me. Occasionally I buy a new figure that looks like it fits the narrative in my head, which lets me look at figures more critically in terms of whether or not they really fit what I'm doing with displays.

I don't know if any of this helps, but this is generally how I guide my collection - the more I started looking at shelves as stories, the more my editing instincts kicked in and the more I began to look at figures on sale as functional things that needed to meet a specific need.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Fri May 07, 2021 4:48 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
I use storage carts. They're easier to sort through than tubs and can be rolled around if you don't feel like throwing you back out every time you need to move your collection.
One of the things that's also helped for me is, essentially, developing my own themed displays built around my own continuity. I built a space display out of a war between Marvel Legends Star Force figures and Guavian Enforcers from Star Wars Black, because the whole idea and look had an 80s anime kinda vibe to me.
Love those Guavian Enforcers. I use them as Ravagers from GotG.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 4:55 pm

maczero wrote:
Love those Guavian Enforcers. I use them as Ravagers from GotG.
They have so many uses! Underrated mooks.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 pm

maczero wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
I use storage carts. They're easier to sort through than tubs and can be rolled around if you don't feel like throwing you back out every time you need to move your collection.

Could you give me the make and model, or some clue as to how to find it? I don't think I know what a "storage cart" is.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri May 07, 2021 6:38 pm

I store my figures in these stackable storage drawers I got at Target. They are like $10 a piece, but I like that I can just keep buying more and stack them or put them on shelves in the closet, whatever. They aren't sealed and I don't plastic bag my figures. I've always been wary of that. I know some bags aren't good to store figures in and others are fine and I just never bothered to figure out which were good. Same goes with certain sealed bins, they can sometimes speed up the breakdown of figures. These bins have a cutout for the handle and some vents so I feel pretty safe with them. Especially since all of my figures are stored inside.

I'm hitting Ikea tomorrow for some half height Billy bookshelves.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 pm
maczero wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:

Could you give me the make and model, or some clue as to how to find it? I don't think I know what a "storage cart" is.
Here you go:

https://www.target.com/p/3-drawer-mediu ... A-75666886

Actually picked this up today.

Another benefit is that you can remove the wheels and stack it on top of another set. There's also a bigger set if you need more storage.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”