HasLab Galactus Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Samael13
is way smarter than you
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: HasLab FF Galactus (?) Discussion

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm

sepster wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Spot on.

I don't think Hasbro could replicate that scenario with a character. It may be possible with something modular, like the Danger Room. The main piece could be configured to build as large a danger room as you like (think the big box below) and then the tiers could add additional rooms like the control room, ready room, etc.
I know some folks really, really like diorama sets, but I really don't see something like that selling as well as a character does. I can't think of any line at this scale (or close to this scale) where a building would sell as well as a character. I think that the people who want it would be *really* excited about it, but I think a lot more people are passing on the Danger Room than passed on the sentinels.

Think about something like MotU; lots of folks who are really avid MotU fans skipped Castle Greyskull, and Greyskull is the single most important location in MotU lore and appears in the title sequence and on the cover of almost all advertising for all the shows and books. The Danger Room hasn't existed in decades and only matters to X-Men fans, not even to the broader Marvel universe.

The problem with buildings, for me, is the space. Taking up vertical space, like a sentinel, is less of a problem than taking up horizontal space. I love the X-Men, but there's just no way I'm getting a Danger Room. It'd take up way too much space on already crowded shelves.

Not saying it's not a viable project; I think there's definitely interest in it, but anywhere near the interest in sentinels and Galactus? I'm very skeptical.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Samael13 wrote:
sepster wrote:

Spot on.

I don't think Hasbro could replicate that scenario with a character. It may be possible with something modular, like the Danger Room. The main piece could be configured to build as large a danger room as you like (think the big box below) and then the tiers could add additional rooms like the control room, ready room, etc.
I know some folks really, really like diorama sets, but I really don't see something like that selling as well as a character does. I can't think of any line at this scale (or close to this scale) where a building would sell as well as a character. I think that the people who want it would be *really* excited about it, but I think a lot more people are passing on the Danger Room than passed on the sentinels.

Think about something like MotU; lots of folks who are really avid MotU fans skipped Castle Greyskull, and Greyskull is the single most important location in MotU lore and appears in the title sequence and on the cover of almost all advertising for all the shows and books. The Danger Room hasn't existed in decades and only matters to X-Men fans, not even to the broader Marvel universe.

The problem with buildings, for me, is the space. Taking up vertical space, like a sentinel, is less of a problem than taking up horizontal space. I love the X-Men, but there's just no way I'm getting a Danger Room. It'd take up way too much space on already crowded shelves.

Not saying it's not a viable project; I think there's definitely interest in it, but anywhere near the interest in sentinels and Galactus? I'm very skeptical.
Agreed. I think there’s a growing trend for backdrops, but that relies on a standard shelf dimension. Detolf is probably the average for many collectors, but I doubt Hasbro would develop something with a specific shelf in mind. Otherwise they’d need to snap together every 2-3 inches so it could be customized to individual collector’s needs, and I’d imagine integrity of the parts becomes an obstacle then.

Plus, something like the Danger Room pushes towards dynamic position by. We all know the ACBA group is huge, but how many collectors have displays where characters are in vanilla poses, shoulder-to-shoulder?
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 pm

TFitz wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm
rodkeith wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Any possibility that this might be a Baxter Building set?
Nah. The Hasbro team seems to think they can outsell the Sentinel Haslab. A toy building ain't going to do that.
I did like the suggestion someone made that the packaging could be done to look like the exterior of the Baxter Building. Galactus should be a bit taller but maybe not as wide as the Sentinel, so the box could be more skyscraper-ish in proportions.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:33 pm

I absolutely love environment displays and would be ecstatic for a modular Danger Room set, but I totally agree that it's hard to imagine something like that would approach the appeal of the Sentinel. I mean, the consensus here is that after months of brainstorming no one has come up with any idea that has that potential.
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm
sepster wrote:
It may be possible with something modular, like the Danger Room. The main piece could be configured to build as large a danger room as you like (think the big box below) and then the tiers could add additional rooms like the control room, ready room, etc.
I think the Star Wars team has shown how to do dioramas well with the Bespin and Tantive IV sets - for the X-men a modular set that centers on wall pieces that are wood-paneled (like the mansion hallways) on one side and tech-paneled (like the Danger Room) on the other side, with doors, corner pieces, floor pieces, etc., could sell at retail (doesn't need to be HasLab) and people could build out as the see fit - one piece could work as a backdrop in a display or buy multiples for a three-sided (or four-sided) room. I am a fan of the Tantive IV set and bought multiples.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Bought several Tantive IV sets myself and, for the most part, I love it. The only thing I think was a massive miss was their decision to not have the floor pieces break up in corresponding segments to the wall pieces. That really limits the amount of configurations one can make. Fix that oversight and one could build out a substantial display.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:22 pm

I agree with Samael about horizontal space. I can't think of a single diorama or vehicle that I'd buy. Ghost Rider's bike is about as big as I can go at this scale.

I could see Punisher's van or the Hell Charger doing well, but I don't think most people can devote half a room to the Baxter Building or Danger Room.
jmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm

What, or who, could be added to a new Galactus to encourage multiple purchases?

Has there been a Skrull Queen tie in with Galactus. (Female?) Kree/Skrull warriors might work. Maybe one Warrior for every Herald. (Maybe Kirby style heads for the FF?)

The Add-On's I could also see doing well is Kirby style machinery and of course Kirby Krackle effects.

I'd think at least one Surfer figure is a given, maybe I'll be surprised and go with the less well known Heralds.

Love the idea of the Danger Room style additions, if anyone at Hasbro is keeping count.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm

jmoney wrote:What, or who, could be added to a new Galactus to encourage multiple purchases?

Has there been a Skrull Queen tie in with Galactus. (Female?) Kree/Skrull warriors might work. Maybe one Warrior for every Herald. (Maybe Kirby style heads for the FF?)

The Add-On's I could also see doing well is Kirby style machinery and of course Kirby Krackle effects.

I'd think at least one Surfer figure is a given, maybe I'll be surprised and go with the less well known Heralds.

Love the idea of the Danger Room style additions, if anyone at Hasbro is keeping count.
Unless they really want to fudge celestial heads on him... theres nothing that would rake in multiple buys. But id wager a slightly lower price point may get more buyers.

Throw in 2 heralds, some power effects and alt emotion faceplates for $275-$300 and they may be able to do some decent competing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:13 pm

The idea of celestial appeals on some level, but there’s so many issues. Scale is obviously the biggest; they’d need to be bigger than the new Sentinel, which already pushed out some collectors based on space or cost. Next is the paint/sculpts; they all have very unique details and coloration, so there’s probably not a lot of reuse/head swapping options.

They really don’t seem viable.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm

september_death wrote:The idea of celestial appeals on some level, but there’s so many issues. Scale is obviously the biggest; they’d need to be bigger than the new Sentinel, which already pushed out some collectors based on space or cost. Next is the paint/sculpts; they all have very unique details and coloration, so there’s probably not a lot of reuse/head swapping options.

They really don’t seem viable.
Like 90% of people won't be posing galactus with sentinels, so I really don't think galactus needs to be be much bigger, id wager he will be exact same height, just hopefully with a head dress making him even taller.

We won't ever get larger celestials its absolutely not cost effective and theres way too many

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WTHIOTina
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Galactus coming in a box that looks like the Baxter Building is an instant buy for me!! I loved the Thunderbolts set and the dead Galactus Head box for the same reason and have both of them in my displays
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:37 pm

fac wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm
I think the Star Wars team has shown how to do dioramas well with the Bespin and Tantive IV sets - for the X-men a modular set that centers on wall pieces that are wood-paneled (like the mansion hallways) on one side and tech-paneled (like the Danger Room) on the other side, with doors, corner pieces, floor pieces, etc., could sell at retail (doesn't need to be HasLab) and people could build out as the see fit - one piece could work as a backdrop in a display or buy multiples for a three-sided (or four-sided) room. I am a fan of the Tantive IV set and bought multiples.
Oh, for sure, I think there's at least *some* market for diorama/playsets/buildings. Grayskull sold, obviously. But I think it's worth noting that the Star Wars sets have only been released for the 3.75" figures, so far, right? And based on ratings, there doesn't seem to be the same demand for them that there is for popular figures: the Tantive set was released in January and has 234 ratings, while the Black Series Heavy Infantry Mando released the same month has 1,148 ratings. Obviously, there's a price difference there (I looked at the Scout Trooper with Bike that came out for Mando, as well, which has well over 1,700 ratings, but realized it's an exclusive, which is going to inflate numbers a bit).

Honestly, I'd love to see them release a danger room set; it's not something I would buy, but I know I'd enjoy seeing what other people did with it for their displays. My only point is that I just don't see it outselling the sentinels, not that I don't think it'd sell *at all*.
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:28 am

Galactus is the only thing that has a prayer of outselling the Sentinel unless there's a major switch-up in format and the project is instead a multi-figure boxed set with essential figures.

That's the only other way I could see them going.

A boxed set of 15 FF members for $375 with original costume FF, Crystal, Medusa, Luke Cage, She-Thing, Spider-man and Doom in FF uniforms, Dragon Man, Franklin, Valeria. Or the FF with 11 of the most important Lee/Kirby characters in first appearance decos. Namor, Doom, The Inhumans, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Him, the Frightful Four.

Would that work? Something that could be split might attract enough resellers to topple Sentinel's numbers.

Probably Galactus.

But a 15+ figure set strikes me as the only other thing being close.
Maxmumspida
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am

WTHIOTina wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 pm
Galactus coming in a box that looks like the Baxter Building is an instant buy for me!! I loved the Thunderbolts set and the dead Galactus Head box for the same reason and have both of them in my displays
Omg, that is a genius idea. I really hope Hasbro would go with that idea. A box packaging that stores a huge Galactus but can be used as the Baxter building when emptied. Can even have extra pieces for several floors, or an extension to double the height of the building. I would prefer this over packing Galactus with a herald or two, because they can just sell those heralds separately anyway.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”