HasLab Galactus Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: HasLab FF Galactus (?) Discussion

Tue May 04, 2021 5:05 am

I read all that. Seems like alot of people even in that thread said they would buy a blackbird or a quinjet. But odds are it won't happen. Which kinda sucks, but at the time saves me money and space. I didn't buy the sentinel cause I just have no where to put it. My big Godzilla has to sit on top of some bins in the corner cause I just have nowhere else to put him.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 1:17 pm

Space is really the argument against the blackbird. While I’d like some representation of an iconic vehicle on my shelf, I literally don’t have a shelf it would fit on. I know we talk about the length a lot (Hasbro estimated 7’), but it would also likely have a 4’ wingspan. I get that the USS Flagg is about those dimensions, but there’s a reason we haven’t seen something that big since then. (Plus a $800+ vehicle won’t have the advantage as being marketed as a play set).

A quintet may be marginally more viable, though I think we’d have gotten an MCU version by now if it was going to happen. I think anything bigger than a Punisher Van or Reyes Hellcharger is expecting too much.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 2:26 pm

I have always loved vehicles. A huge part of my love and enthusiasm for Star Wars and GI Joe is because of all of the amazing vehicles and playsets those lines provide. I've also always wanted a great Blackbird and Quinjet vehicle. Having said that, I have Mattel's Animated Series Batwing and Batmobile and as awesome as those are, they are both really big and I've always found it difficult to find a workable solution on how to display them that doesn't involve hanging the Batwing from the ceiling and out of the way. The Batwing is a single-6"-occupant vehicle and it is massive. Making a Blackbird or Quinjet work for multiple 6" figures would be really difficult.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm

For the vast, vast majority of folks, I don't think 1/12 vehicles are feasible. I bought a 1/12ish Batmobile and even that was unworkably massive. The SWBS TIE fighter is another example. It looks great and it's a cool piece, but displaying it is almost impossible, even in big houses.

When we talk about the Quinjet or Blackbird, it becomes even more unrealistic. We could maybe get a cockpit playset, but the Hasbro team has openly pushed back on full 1/12 jet. Massive vehicles like that don't make sense at 1/12 scale.

I want some vehicles in my collection, too (Planet Express ship, Normandy, Serenity, etc.), but I'm going to opt for Hotwheels-scale representations instead.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Since the Blackbird was introduced in X-Men they've wavered back and forth on its dimensions. The real jet that the comic version is based upon is 108 feet long, so in 1:12 scale that's 10 feet. Xavier's jet has varied over the decades between something truer to the real jet and something that could actually transport something more than two pilots scrunched up at the front and several tons of fuel.

There's a TON of baggage that goes with the X-Men Blackbird and various authors and Fox screenwriters' attempts to accommodate something between what the comics have historically done and what the real jet was like. Translating that into a highly displayable Haslab item isn't something I would EVER want to prioritize if I were working on that team. :shock:
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Tue May 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Yeah, vehicles are tough. So, like the Ghost Rider car, is a 1969 Dodge Charger. I looked up the dimensions, and the '69 Charger was 207.9 inches long with a wheel base of 117 inches. Scaled down to 1/12, that'd be 17.325 inches by 9.75 inches (and it'd likely to need to be a little bigger than that because ML tend to be a little bigger than 1/12 and to make the interior work with action figures). I have no idea how likely that is, but it feels *doable* for a "playset" action figure piece. I think the question is whether enough people would buy it at the cost needed to produce it. I don't have a good sense of how popular Robbie was as a character.

Once you start talking about *jets*, it's... too much. The modern version of the Blackbird (which looks nothing like the IRL blackbird) is, according to Marvel, about 88.3' long, 62.5' wingspan, and 19' high (but, as Enigmatic notes, the visual depiction of it can vary wildly). At 1/12, that's 7.36' long, 5.2' wingspan, and 1.58' tall. That's bigger than my coffee table, and significantly larger than Jaba's Barge. I'm a huge X-Men fan, but I just don't have a desire/need for something like that. I don't know what I'd do with a toy bigger than I am. How would most people display something that big?

The best estimates I can find put the Quinjet at about 40' long by 26.25' wingspand, which makes it around 3.5' feet by 2.19' or so at 1/12, which is much closer to Jaba's Barge size, so, not impossible, I guess, but I feel like Jaba's Barge works better as a display piece, since the entire top of it is "playspace" where characters make sense hanging out. Nobody really hangs out on the outside of the Quinjet, really.

It'll be interesting to see what kinds of projects HasLab pursues beyond what I'm assuming is Galactus; I'm very interested to see how they balance what I think will be significantly lower demand for characters beyond the sentinels and Galactus with the high cost of HasLab projects and the space demands that these projects have demanded, so far.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm

One Marvel vehicle I would buy in a heartbeat, that is both a feasible size and could include appropriate action features/playset value, is the Punisher van.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm

Samael13 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what kinds of projects HasLab pursues beyond what I'm assuming is Galactus; I'm very interested to see how they balance what I think will be significantly lower demand for characters beyond the sentinels and Galactus with the high cost of HasLab projects and the space demands that these projects have demanded, so far.
After Galactus, and assuming they don’t do other cosmic beings like the Living Tribunal, etc., I’d love to see them go for unique figures too obscure for retail, at around the $100 price point. We know they’ve mentioned Cameron Hodge. Seems perfect for that; throw in some alternate heads for existing figures as incentive. Or team sets for big teams/unique tooling (Serpent Society, Imperial Guard).
fac
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:21 pm
The best estimates I can find put the Quinjet at about 40' long by 26.25' wingspand, which makes it around 3.5' feet by 2.19' or so at 1/12, which is much closer to Jaba's Barge size, so, not impossible, I guess, but I feel like Jaba's Barge works better as a display piece, since the entire top of it is "playspace" where characters make sense hanging out. Nobody really hangs out on the outside of the Quinjet, really.
The cross-section from the Official Marvel Handbook has the Quinjet at 35 feet by 24 ft (Best link I could quickly find was here:

Based on that cross-section, you replace the engine area with an open area with computers, tactical stuff, etc, that is accessed by removing the roof for a play area and I think it would work. At three feet by two feet (or maybe a bit less) that is something that could be played with - even flown about - as well as displayed.

Whether it would sell, I don't know, but I think it is in the realm of not being too excessive in size. Blackbird seems impossible to me by comparison.

Punisher Van, Hellcharger and Fantasticar are the only other larger vehicles I would ever want I think.
jmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 pm

It's probably Galactus with lots of heralds, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe a interconnecting fantasticar. Toss in any combination of FF supporting characters from Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin, & Wyatt Wingfoot to Agatha Harkness, Kristoff, Lyja, and even some members of the Future Foundation.

Maybe a Baxter building playset. Lobby with Roberta on one side Lab with portal to the Negative Zone on the other side.
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Wed May 05, 2021 8:53 pm

I just want to reiterate what a headache Galactus will be to display compared to the Sentinel.

He's likely taller than the Sentinel and his skirt won't allow him to get down on one knee like the Sentinel.

On shelving, that means he's likely to go on top shelves where his risk of falling over and breaking is higher.

I really think Galactus even more than the Sentinel needs the ability to split at the waist so you can display half a Galactus on one shelf.
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 pm

jmoney wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 pm
It's probably Galactus with lots of heralds, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe a interconnecting fantasticar. Toss in any combination of FF supporting characters from Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin, & Wyatt Wingfoot to Agatha Harkness, Kristoff, Lyja, and even some members of the Future Foundation.

Maybe a Baxter building playset. Lobby with Roberta on one side Lab with portal to the Negative Zone on the other side.
One thing I'd be up for if I ever won a large sum of money -- and I've tinkered with this for fun -- is 3D printing a Kirby tech diorama, maybe in metal if I really won the jackpot.

I started a dio of the Spider-man #1 cover in 3D once and bailed when I realized it would cost a few thousand to commercially print.

I did a mockup of the Superfriends' table that was looking like it would cost $300+.

But if I had a zillion dollars, I could decorate my actual walls in 3D printed Kirby tech and a dio would be quite doable.
MLNUT
CROM!

Thu May 06, 2021 12:13 am

PG-Superfan wrote:

He's likely taller than the Sentinel and his skirt won't allow him to get down on one knee like the Sentinel.
1) We want Galactus and don't care how hard he will be to display or pose.
2) Galactus does NOT kneel. EVER!
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 am

MLNUT wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:13 am
PG-Superfan wrote:

1) We want Galactus and don't care how hard he will be to display or pose.
2) Galactus does NOT kneel. EVER!
What kind of shelving are you going to put him on?

I don't give a crap about Galactus being too awesome to kneel. I care about how he fits on standard shelving without being relegated to top shelves where he'll fall and break.

Having a waist detachment feature is one way to make the design more practical.
fingfangfoom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 am

A waist detachment is a good idea. I hope Hasbro is reading this because that feature would be a major selling point to a lot of people who are on the fence because of shelf space.

Of course, if the skirt gets in the way of Galactus kneeling, you could just pose him curtsying.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”