HasLab Galactus Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: HasLab Galactus Discussion

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 pm

I backed this because I want galactus... I think the count before tiers is way too high, but I'm absolutely not worried about this getting funded, and not stressed about unlockables getting unlocked or not... they've already paid to have any unlockable figures designed and they will want their return on that.

If Nova, firelord, etc aren't unlocked... they will just release them elsewhere. I'm not purchasing galactus with the hope of heralds. They'll happen one way or antother... this is just the only way we get a galactus at this size

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm

razzer99 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm
The part that is killing it for me is how does a professional marketing team seemingly not know how to properly run a basic Kickstarter campaign? It's just weird, sad, and disappointing.
We call this armchair marketing consultation. Is your expert guidance make the goal lower and show all of the unlockables sooner?
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 pm

Personally I’m still on the fence on this one. The MU figure here fills my Galactus needs quite nicely. It’s a really awesome piece. Albeit not as nice as that Haslab giant, but I got the MU figure a few years back on sale on Amazon for $20 (with free prime shipping), and you can’t beat that. So shelling out 400 bills for the same character seems somewhat illogical to me. (But whoever said action figure collecting had to be logical?)

I really only buy figures that I can use in my comics, and I haven’t used this MU Galactus for many years, and then only the one time. (Hey, it’s not easy coming up with Galactus stories). So I don’t know how much use I would get out of the new one, (or where I would put it) as awesome as it is.

So far I’ve been playing the “wait and see” game, to see how fast it reached the goal of 14,000 backers, and what add-ons Hasbro may offer as incentives. But now it’s looking like it may be a moot point, as the goal numbers seem to be stalling at under 9,000 backers. Three's still over 30 days to think about it, and if it picks up steam again I may be tempted to pull the trigger.

razzer99
Customized

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Enforcer wrote:
We call this armchair marketing consultation. Is your expert guidance make the goal lower and show all of the unlockables sooner?
You don't have to show your entire hand up front, but you should probably show the first 2 unlockables and allude to many more. The point is have a seemingly endless ladder to be climbing which keeps generating buzz and drawing attention. Kickstarters typically release frequent mailer updates to backers and potential backers to show new revealed goals, give greater details on already achieved goals, and just the occasional cheerleader remainder type of message to keep generating enthusiasm in the project. This campaign has nothing like that. These updates could be feeding secondary news outlets too. Kickstarters are not a fire and forget type of deal. They are a full time job of trying to constantly engage interested parties.

Progress towards the initial funding goal is obviously slow at this point so the onus is on Hasbro to adjust. Hopefully they have a backup plan. I've watched many a kickstarter campaign get outright cancelled (so they can reassess and relaunch) when they were on track to just barely cross the target threshold. Just barely getting funding is not really a resounding success and is typically seen as a failure for any project with big ambitions.
Maxmumspida
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 pm
I backed this because I want galactus... I think the count before tiers is way too high, but I'm absolutely not worried about this getting funded, and not stressed about unlockables getting unlocked or not... they've already paid to have any unlockable figures designed and they will want their return on that.

If Nova, firelord, etc aren't unlocked... they will just release them elsewhere. I'm not purchasing galactus with the hope of heralds. They'll happen one way or antother... this is just the only way we get a galactus at this size

That's a good point about them spending resources for design, and so of course we'll see them eventually.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 pm
Personally I’m still on the fence on this one. The MU figure here fills my Galactus needs quite nicely. It’s a really awesome piece. Albeit not as nice as that Haslab giant, but I got the MU figure a few years back on sale on Amazon for $20 (with free prime shipping), and you can’t beat that. So shelling out 400 bills for the same character seems somewhat illogical to me. (But whoever said action figure collecting had to be logical?)

I really only buy figures that I can use in my comics, and I haven’t used this MU Galactus for many years, and then only the one time. (Hey, it’s not easy coming up with Galactus stories). So I don’t know how much use I would get out of the new one, (or where I would put it) as awesome as it is.

So far I’ve been playing the “wait and see” game, to see how fast it reached the goal of 14,000 backers, and what add-ons Hasbro may offer as incentives. But now it’s looking like it may be a moot point, as the goal numbers seem to be stalling at under 9,000 backers. Three's still over 30 days to think about it, and if it picks up steam again I may be tempted to pull the trigger.

While I am completist - much of my drive to own these figures comes from the same place as you: How can I use them to make cool photos?

I don't know if I could properly photograph the Sentinel and definitely can't do Galactus with my little light box. These 2 are purely for the wow-factor in the display. They are the ones that - when faced with a room full of hundreds of Legends, you immediately look at those 2 (hypothetically) and say "damn".
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 pm

razzer99 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Enforcer wrote:
You don't have to show your entire hand up front, but you should probably show the first 2 unlockables and allude to many more. The point is have a seemingly endless ladder to be climbing which keeps generating buzz and drawing attention. Kickstarters typically release frequent mailer updates to backers and potential backers to show new revealed goals, give greater details on already achieved goals, and just the occasional cheerleader remainder type of message to keep generating enthusiasm in the project. This campaign has nothing like that. These updates could be feeding secondary news outlets too. Kickstarters are not a fire and forget type of deal. They are a full time job of trying to constantly engage interested parties.

Progress towards the initial funding goal is obviously slow at this point so the onus is on Hasbro to adjust. Hopefully they have a backup plan. I've watched many a kickstarter campaign get outright cancelled (so they can reassess and relaunch) when they were on track to just barely cross the target threshold. Just barely getting funding is not really a resounding success and is typically seen as a failure for any project with big ambitions.
OK - well they teased 2 unlocks when the pace started to slow. I don't recall if we knew what all of the potential unlockables were with the Sentinel but I presume that for the most part the potential unlocks are a mystery until close to or after the goal is hit. So at least they threw everyone a bone. We also know that if this reaches Sentinel numbers, you could expect 3 or 4 Heralds. If this does more? How many potential Heralds are there?

Your other suggestion is a mailer - I assume you mean email blasts - to both backers and potential backers. Well you already have the backers - so you want to email... all of the Pulse Members and maybe those who backed the Sentinel? Do you believe that doing so would mean that this would be much closer to being backed? That people who are Pulse Members or backed the Sentinel aren't at least moderately aware of figure news and activity?

I think that every photo that Dwight and the team posts ends up reposted to innumerable message boards, figure website news outlets like Fwoosh Marvelousnews AFI and countless others - and out to the thousands of social media followers of the team (including 223K of Hasbro Pulse). Awareness is there. Let's not forget that within 24 hours of the announcement video and open of the kickstarter - they had over 4000 people willing to shell out $400 on this thing. No small feat.

Beyond that, how else would this campaign cease to be weird, sad and disappointing for you?

Oh - also, even if this limps across the finish line and gets 14,000 backers, I'm betting that will be seeing as a huge success for the Hasbro team financially.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 pm

I don't think its safe to assume that Hasbro has done much investment in stretch rewards up to his point. I mean beyond a digital render of the 2 heralds hinted at so far (one is a straight reissue and the other a blank buck with a new head and hair sculpt) what really is there all to do at this point? Not saying they haven't but they very well may not have.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 pm

I... also don't think they have zero planned. If it ever made it to Tier 3 - they'd have something. There isn't much hope of going much beyond that.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:19 am

DerRabbi wrote:I don't think its safe to assume that Hasbro has done much investment in stretch rewards up to his point. I mean beyond a digital render of the 2 heralds hinted at so far (one is a straight reissue and the other a blank buck with a new head and hair sculpt) what really is there all to do at this point? Not saying they haven't but they very well may not have.
They likely have every tier designed and ready to be shown in proto phase... is what im saying. All of that still costs money, even if its more simple.

LipSmack
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:52 am

Subby wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 pm
LipSmack wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 pm
And don't forget medieval spawn is coming too, need to keep funds handy

Where did you hear that?
Todd McFarlane
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:38 am

razzer99 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm
The part that is killing it for me is how does a professional marketing team seemingly not know how to properly run a basic Kickstarter campaign? It's just weird, sad, and disappointing.
This campaign is properly run. The Sentinel was a fiasco that this campaign is crushing.

Kockstarter campaigns are setting their goals too low if they don't slowly creep around the middle.

I've run five successful campaigns. I'm friends with many campaign creators.

The ideal course is to fund 25-50% in the first 48 hours, slowly creep towards a goal you take 25 odd days to hit, get a rush after getting funded, and then another 25-50% of the original goal in the final 48 hours. That will get you to around 150% of your goal.

What's an abomination to the whole model is stuff that gets funded on the first day. It's a glorified preorder system them.

Proper crowdfunding campaigns look like two mirrored sloping curves with a spike about 2/3rds of the way in when you hit funding during the lull period.
mr Articulate
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:07 am

I think Surfer and others heralds are stupid ideas for tier bumps. Those figures people either have, or would be willing to buy as singles. Why not add effect pieces or similar items unique to a 32
tall one of a kind Galactus?
Maxmumspida
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:09 am

DerRabbi wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 pm
I don't think its safe to assume that Hasbro has done much investment in stretch rewards up to his point. I mean beyond a digital render of the 2 heralds hinted at so far (one is a straight reissue and the other a blank buck with a new head and hair sculpt) what really is there all to do at this point? Not saying they haven't but they very well may not have.
That ... is also a good point. :P
It could also be, though, that the characters are too much of a missed revenue opportunity to not develop. Then again, they might be costly enough for them if the characters are too fringe for mainstream recognition and thus purchase.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:15 am

mr Articulate wrote:I think Surfer and others heralds are stupid ideas for tier bumps. Those figures people either have, or would be willing to buy as singles. Why not add effect pieces or similar items unique to a 32
tall one of a kind Galactus?
We litterally, only have 2, surfer and terrax... no others have ever had legends

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”