Should Hasbro do an all army builder wave?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
JoshuaKat
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Should Hasbro do an all army builder wave?

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm

I feel like an all army builder wave is a win win here. Comic and MCU collectors would both benefit greatly and Hasbro would make stacks of money off the repeat purchases. Sure our wallets would be flattened but our shelves would be padded! Generic bodies with multiple heads and weapons. I'll let you comic collectors make your lists of possibilities but as an MCU collector...

Chitari
Outriders
Asgardian Soldiers
Dora Milaje
Triskillions
Black Widows
Ultron Bots
Dark Elves
Nova Corps
Sorcerers
Border Tribe
Kree
Skrulls

I was trying to think of a clever BAF that no matter how many of whichever character you buy you don't end up with 10 left arms and no right legs especially if they were MCU/Comic waves. Any ideas? Also do you think they should be MCU and Comic combined or separated?

Anyways, this to me seems like a win win and now I'm feeling like this needs to happen!!
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Re: Should Hasbro do an all army builder wave?

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm

The idea is unbelievably tempting, and something I would love. But I also have a feeling it would be incredibly frustrating too. :lol: If you think waves sell out quickly now, or you have difficulty getting a figure now, just imagine if they were all army builders! Especially if a store cancels an order or doesn't get enough stock as has been the case lately. It would mess up a lot of people's plans! But in theory, it sounds great. I'd be down for any of the MCU figures you mentioned.
K.Avon
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Couldnt agree more, the only thing that I think perhaps has stopped them before, is that they've been releasing army builders via pulse, but, quite frankly it makes too much sense for them not to do this sometime I feel (and besides, I'd happily pay a bit extra if say, they did a plain male SHIELD Agent for Pulse and a plain female SHIELD Agent in an army builder wave and threw in a bunch of extra heads and weapons for different characters like Maria Hill and others)

Comic army builders that spring to mind:
Classic Doombot
SHIELD Trooper
Kree trooper
Skrulls
Badoon
Shiar
Generic Spaceknight with alternate bits and pieces to switch?
Nova Corps officer
Annihilation wave bug?
Brood

BAF wise.., someone else here suggested a Mindless One BAF which'd be perfect, alternatively, a classic Mandroid (or a Dire Wraith.. Xemnu happened!! :lol: ) in terms of something useful regardless of how many you buy..., I know a lot of folks wouldn't like this, especially with the Haslab one but.., I would love someday to get a classic 60s Sentinel, which were drawn (from my memory at least) only slightly bigger than the MCU Giant Man BAF.., the idea being that chunks of Sentinel are always cool to have lying about
JoshuaKat
Avengers Assemble

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Very true. That's why for once I'd be okay with it being a comic/MCU wave combo with a non essential BAF. I'd either only buy the MCU in multiple or there'd be a LOT of trading after buying a few cases. I'd even be okay with them re-releasing the set. It'd save them sculpting money. Say it comes out in Spring and again in the fall the exact same wave.
maczero
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm

Interesting idea but I'm not sure it would work. I think waves are meant to have an anchor character (Wolverine, Spider-Man etc.). Who would be the anchor in a wave made up of cannon fodder? That said, I would support it if I liked the figure choices.

My choices would be:
Chitauri
MCU Einherjar
MCU Black Widows
MCU Ultron Drones
MCU Dark Elves
MCU Kree Soldiers
MCU Skrulls
MCU Hela Warriors
Comic Ultimatum Soldiers

And no BAF. That's just too much wasted plastic if you don't wind up getting an equal numbers of the figures to complete the BAFs.
ANewHopelessReviewer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm

We’d need to add Multiple Man to any list. Or preferably just sell them single-packed in a Hasbro Pulse Exclusive box.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:14 pm

MCU Hammer Drones!

Dreadnaught robots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benn Roe
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:25 pm

I've daydreamed about this before. I'd want:

Alpha Sentinel
Hellfire Club Guard (female)
the Madri
Purifier (male)
Sapien League Terrorist (male)
Shi'ar Soldier (female)
BAF: Brood Drone

I'd love to see Warwolves, N'Garai, etc., too, but I imagine it would be tough to fit those into a wave that probably already has so many new sculpts. As an alternative to the Brood, an interesting BAF could be a fully modular Phalanx, with a variety of different limbs, heads, and interesting connection points (which could help with having different numbers of each figure in the wave), but I stand by this being a better idea for a "cheap" Haslab project, so it can be fully fleshed out.
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm

It's really unbelievable it hasn't been done.

I talked to dwight and ryan at gascon and suggested a 2 pack army builder wave. And they were like "whoah cool idea".
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Hascon*
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:08 pm

I really don't see this idea playing out, because, at some point, you run the risk of poaching your own sales. Like, most of us have budgets, and there's a limit to how many figures we're buying at one time. It seems to me that spreading the army builders out across multiple waves maximizes their chances to get your money. I don't know how many figures the average person buys, but you can fudge them however you want and you still run into the same problem. Let's say that someone usually wants four or five of each army builder, to pad their ranks a bit. You're asking them to go from buying 12 figures a wave to 35 figures? That's... a big ask, purchasing-wise.

What's the benefit to having the entire wave be army builders instead of just having one army builder per wave?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm possibly one the few people who won't do any army building for Marvel at all. Drones, Chitauri, Ultrons, etc, I'm not interested in even singles of them.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:33 pm

Would be happy with just a Mindless One release. Rhino body, new hands and feet. Super easy.
renfield75
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm

I prefer the current Pulse army builder model, but a wave could be cool too. Maybe instead of a BAF each figure comes with something smaller that could be an army builder itself? Skrulls and Brood are probably too big...maybe Annihilation bugs? The more you buy of any figure the more you get of the smaller army builder!
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm

I’ve broached the subject before. I like the idea, expensive as it may be. There’s enough army builders that could support multiple waves like this.

Ultimatum
Shield agent male
Shield agent female
Atlantean soldier
Sons of the Serpent
Subterraneans
Warwolves
Mindless Ones (BAF)
Brood
Terrordyne agent
Rivermen
Fire People
Dreadnought (BAF)
Shield Mandroid, classic (BAF)
Chitauri
Alpha Primitive
Madrox
Timeshadow
Bloodhounds
Servobot (Doom)
Wild Pack (alpha team)
Wild Pack (beta team)
Hammer drones (various)
Shi’ar soldier
The Stark (with interchange parts)
Choice Interceptor
Cybernoid
Quantum
Rampage

A potential issue is personal preferences. If one doesn’t desire the BAF, then they cherry pick the army builders they want, potentially leading to, some hard to get, and others to peg warm. Hasbro would have to select their choices carefully, or make sure their BAF choice is highly desirable.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”