Marvel Legends Red Guardian and Iron Maiden (MCU) 2-pack announced

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Left Field
Veteran Slugger
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Red Guardian and Iron Maiden (MCU) 2-pack announced

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 pm

docsilence wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Left Field wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 pm
docsilence wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm
So I'm a big David Harbour fan, saw Dorkside has this set in stock and ordered it from them with the intent to cancel my Pulse order since they aren't shipping til August... and I just got shipping notice from Pulse that they've shipped my set. Grr. Pulse almost always sends a notification if something arrives a month early that they're charging your card. Super annoyed at myself for ending up with two sets when I didn't need 'em, but I guess I can use it to have both Guardian heads displayed if I need it. Any suggestions for how to use an extra Iron Maiden? I feel like if I've got a spare by accident, I could probably make a Sharon Carter or Quake or something out of her, yeah? Anyone else had any thoughts toward reusing the body for a head swap?

I purchased an extra deluxe Widow to make an Agent 13 mod.
Which head did you use? I think I might actually have an actual old Sharon Carter head kicking around in my spare parts bin, but I always thought she was a little cross-eyed.

Toys R Us Shield/Hand Ninja 2 packs. I had 3 Sharon figures and each one had a different skin tone.
NorrinRadd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 pm

BILLIUM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:45 pm
NORM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 pm
BILLIUM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:47 am

Thanks, Akat! One of the really cool things about Black Widow is that she covers a lot of corners of the Marvel Universe: Iron Man, Captain America, the Avengers, Daredevil, the Champions, etc. Her web is far reaching, and it just makes her even better for it.
Based on my more modernish comics reading experience, I always associated Black Widow foremost with Daredevil and the street level heroes of the Marvel Knights imprint. I knew she was an Avenger, and had connections with Captain America related to that. But it wasn’t til the MCU that I considered her synonymous with the Avengers, as this premier lead female. I guess for the introduction of this team in the more grounded early MCU setting, it made sense for her to be one of the original six. But she makes more sense to me as a street level hero, and even more sense as a 007/Mission Impossible style spy. I hope her solo film takes her in that direction.
For a more modern-ish reading experience, I can't recommend her 2014 solo series enough, the one by Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto (the art is beautiful; the book's only crime is that it ends).

Also, I definitely didn't associate Widow with the Avengers too much until the first film came out in 2012. She was barely with the team when she officially joined in the 70s. Of course, she became much more involved with the team in the 90s, but the creative direction wasn't exactly the best at that time, and sadly, those stories are mostly best left forgotten. I do enjoy Natasha more as a spy, and to an only slightly lesser extent, street level hero.

Finally getting the solo movie after 11 years is so bittersweet; so much wasted potential. I wish we could have gotten a trilogy with her, at least. Her death is still one of the MCU's lowest points for me.
I was SUPER bummed when they stopped the Noto/Edmondson run at 20. They could have just kept making those forever, as far as I’m concerned. [Ditto the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye and Cain/Niemczyk Mockingbird books.]

Agreed with your Nat movie sentiments. Although, over time I’ve grown a little less indignant at her cinematic death—Scarlett is just so damn cool in that scene that I can’t not appreciate it.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:47 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 pm
BILLIUM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:45 pm
NORM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Based on my more modernish comics reading experience, I always associated Black Widow foremost with Daredevil and the street level heroes of the Marvel Knights imprint. I knew she was an Avenger, and had connections with Captain America related to that. But it wasn’t til the MCU that I considered her synonymous with the Avengers, as this premier lead female. I guess for the introduction of this team in the more grounded early MCU setting, it made sense for her to be one of the original six. But she makes more sense to me as a street level hero, and even more sense as a 007/Mission Impossible style spy. I hope her solo film takes her in that direction.
For a more modern-ish reading experience, I can't recommend her 2014 solo series enough, the one by Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto (the art is beautiful; the book's only crime is that it ends).

Also, I definitely didn't associate Widow with the Avengers too much until the first film came out in 2012. She was barely with the team when she officially joined in the 70s. Of course, she became much more involved with the team in the 90s, but the creative direction wasn't exactly the best at that time, and sadly, those stories are mostly best left forgotten. I do enjoy Natasha more as a spy, and to an only slightly lesser extent, street level hero.

Finally getting the solo movie after 11 years is so bittersweet; so much wasted potential. I wish we could have gotten a trilogy with her, at least. Her death is still one of the MCU's lowest points for me.
I was SUPER bummed when they stopped the Noto/Edmondson run at 20. They could have just kept making those forever, as far as I’m concerned. [Ditto the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye and Cain/Niemczyk Mockingbird books.]

Agreed with your Nat movie sentiments. Although, over time I’ve grown a little less indignant at her cinematic death—Scarlett is just so damn cool in that scene that I can’t not appreciate it.
I agree. That was a really great book, and one I'm proud to own in its entirety in tpb form. I hope that Edmondson and Noto can both return to the character sometime, even if it's just a one-shot or limited series.

I think I'd have been more okay with Nat's death had they gone with the original version where Thanos and his army arrive on Vormir, and, in order to save Clint, Nat dives off so that when she dies, Clint will teleport away to receive the Soul Stone.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Except how would she know he would teleport?

The obvious reshoot in the theatrical version always bugged me (her hair suddenly looks bad), but when I saw the Thanos version I prefer keeping the moment intimate.
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 am

JPC wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 pm
Except how would she know he would teleport?

The obvious reshoot in the theatrical version always bugged me (her hair suddenly looks bad), but when I saw the Thanos version I prefer keeping the moment intimate.
She wouldn't know that he has to teleport to get the stone, but she would probably hope that he could get the stone and turn it on Thanos and his forces just enough until he can make good his escape into the Quantum Realm. Basically, a calculated risk of sorts.

As for the set, mine arrived from Dorkside today; you rock, Dorkside! Anywho, it's nicely put together. Lots of nice accessories, though I might just be giving the neat grapping hook to Nat. I also put the unmasked head on last year's Red Guardian. My biggest complaint would have to be that they cheaped out on the paint for Red Guardian's beard; it doesn't really cover the bottom or back of the beard like it should (the rest of his paint job looks great, and I enjoy the colring more this time around). It's just an odd omission. The mini figure is pretty cool. The extra hands don't look right on him, but I do appreciate them, as they'll look good on a number of other characters.

Melina is nice; she and Red Guardian have a great likeness, and I appreciate getting an all new character with Melina. They retooled the Deluxe Widow upper torso to have a spot to place the stun batons which is cool. The likeness is pretty great on both faces, but, oddly, or maybe it's just the two sets I got, but the masked Red Guardian's head's eyes look oddly asymmetrical on both. I'm not sure if they're all like that, but it's something to look for if you get a chance to pick between a few sets.

All in all, I highly recommend the set, especially if you passed on Red Guardian the first time.
NorrinRadd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:22 am

Got my notification from Pulse this morning that this set is on the way. Cool deal.

I am REALLY jonesing for the movie.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Got this set from Dorkside, too. Very cool set with fun extras like the mini Red Guardian figure. Nice to get a figure of Melina!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orpheus
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 pm

just got this from dorkside, love this set and love how all the BW characters look together.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Got my shipping notification from Pulse yesterday. Excited to have it in hand! I'm liking this unintended trend of having movie figs so far before the movie comes out. Hope it'll continue somewhat with future releases- obviously not releasing months and months in advance like BW and SC, but maybe a month or so before to build hype, like the good old days.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:03 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:Got my shipping notification from Pulse yesterday. Excited to have it in hand! I'm liking this unintended trend of having movie figs so far before the movie comes out. Hope it'll continue somewhat with future releases- obviously not releasing months and months in advance like BW and SC, but maybe a month or so before to build hype, like the good old days.
I’m the opposite. The 10 Years and Infinity Saga figures make me wish they’d go hard with comic figures with movie branding, and then movie figures a few months after the film drops. First, because of accurate designs the first time, and second because movie figures are often gone long the theatrical release because of low stock/collector demand.
NorrinRadd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am

Red Guardian rocks hard. They did Dave Harbour right.

Evil Monkey Pope
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 pm

The back of the box repeats the same paragraph five times without translation. How'd that make it to the final product without anyone noticing?
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 pm
The back of the box repeats the same paragraph five times without translation. How'd that make it to the final product without anyone noticing?
I'm blaming it on the same person that let "woah" slip by on the back of MCU White Vision's box. :lol:
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:31 pm

HEADS NEED TO ROLL!
Doober
CROM!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:28 pm

RoboKillah wrote: