X-Men Retro Legends

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Mister Voorhees
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:49 am

Handsome wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:46 pm
Anyone get their Retro Beast from BBTS yet?
I did, it arrived on the 12th.
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2102
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:00 am

Nik wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 am
KolobosRexx wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:43 pm
...Hey!!! Did Y'All know Banshee is now Bonded to a Spirit of Vengeance, and called "Vox Ignis"?? lol...
Whenever I get a little tidbit of information about what's been going on in the HiXman era, I feel like I absolutely made the right call in deciding to not read any X-books until it all blows over. I LOVE the X-Men, but these new stories are not for me, and this Banshee with a silly new name is just more evidence of that.
They turned Banshee into the X-Men's equivalent of a red shirt from Star Trek a while ago. At least with Gen X he had a role and a purpose; after that it was straight into the meat grinder time and again because writers either didn't like him or didn't know what to do with him. Now that I see this recent development all I can think to myself is "is there no end to the suffering the Irish must endure?"

Proudly "making mine anything but Marvel comics" since 2012. I took the same "til it blows over" position, but in ten years it only seems to get worse. Marvel purposely did what they did to X-Men comics. Congratulations, mission accomplished, you drove away most of your readership trying to shoe-horn Inhumans and hiring writers who only want an X-book on their resume and just kill characters and break continuity to make a name for themselves before they too bail.

That's actually why I got into Marvel Legends in the first place. The figures actually started to look like decent representations of the characters and time period where I enjoyed them the most.
Alpha Fan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:28 pm

I just got Spiral from Amazon Spain and she is definitely the best figure of the year for me. She is perfection. Well done Hasbro!

I wish they'd put the same amount of love into more female figures.
User avatar
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:31 pm

I doubt the Banshee Spirit of Vengeance situation sticks, it’s comics theyre always changing; eventually even Beast and Moira will be reset.

Say what you will about the current X-Books, there are plenty of duds in the line but I’ll take Krakoa over the previous decade and a half since House of M, the constant threat of extinction, the editorial “versus” tropes with Avengers and Inhumans, it was all depressing stuff and resurrection was always present, having an in story reason made sense. I like most of the designs and story beats Hickman began and it doesn’t look likely to end anytime soon.

That said, keeping it back on topic, I am going to attempt to kitbash an Investigations-era Multiple Man, with the civilian head, arms and jacket from the Apocalypse wave figure, anyone have suggestions on civilian ML lower bodies?
User avatar
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 11388
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:16 pm

MCU punisher maybe.
User avatar
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:46 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:16 pm
MCU punisher maybe.
Good idea! Thanks!
User avatar
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11375
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:08 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but he’ll likely look a bit muscular on the heroic body and regular paints. Wasn’t Madrox in a loose long sleeve tee for that rub?
User avatar
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7312
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:14 am

JTMarsh wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:00 am
Nik wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 am
KolobosRexx wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:43 pm
...Hey!!! Did Y'All know Banshee is now Bonded to a Spirit of Vengeance, and called "Vox Ignis"?? lol...
Whenever I get a little tidbit of information about what's been going on in the HiXman era, I feel like I absolutely made the right call in deciding to not read any X-books until it all blows over. I LOVE the X-Men, but these new stories are not for me, and this Banshee with a silly new name is just more evidence of that.
They turned Banshee into the X-Men's equivalent of a red shirt from Star Trek a while ago. At least with Gen X he had a role and a purpose; after that it was straight into the meat grinder time and again because writers either didn't like him or didn't know what to do with him. Now that I see this recent development all I can think to myself is "is there no end to the suffering the Irish must endure?"

LOL, I'll see your Banshee with a silly name and raise you Beast cutting Wolverine's head off.

Yep, I stopped reading X-Men regularly well over 10 years ago. I pop my head back in every once in a while because they are my favorite comic book and I miss them, but every time I do, it's unbearable.
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2102
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:14 am
LOL, I'll see your Banshee with a silly name and raise you Beast cutting Wolverine's head off.

Yep, I stopped reading X-Men regularly well over 10 years ago. I pop my head back in every once in a while because they are my favorite comic book and I miss them, but every time I do, it's unbearable.
Wasn't aware that Beast cut off Wolverine's head, but it makes about as much sense canonically as Moira skinning Banshee and wearing him as a suit. I knew people hate Beast for some reason now, and that he's missing an eye, but it's difficult to care anymore. My exit was shortly after Messiah Complex. Cyclops, the living embodiment of Xavier's dream, killing Xavier, his main father figure outright, was my "this is becoming nonsense" realization. Sure sure, we know he was "possessed by the Phoenix" etc. But Red Skull cutting open Xavier's head and then eating his brain to gain telepathic powers was another "my beloved X-Men are intentionally being flushed down the drain" moment I can point to.

At least I can still be excited for the figures. I wish they'd make a new side-scrolling X-Men game similar to the new TMNT Shredder's Revenge nostalgia ploy they came out with. I'd definitely be excited for something like that, provided it's done right.
User avatar
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7312
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:15 am

JTMarsh wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 am
yojoebro82 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:14 am
LOL, I'll see your Banshee with a silly name and raise you Beast cutting Wolverine's head off.

Yep, I stopped reading X-Men regularly well over 10 years ago. I pop my head back in every once in a while because they are my favorite comic book and I miss them, but every time I do, it's unbearable.
Wasn't aware that Beast cut off Wolverine's head, but it makes about as much sense canonically as Moira skinning Banshee and wearing him as a suit. I knew people hate Beast for some reason now, and that he's missing an eye, but it's difficult to care anymore. My exit was shortly after Messiah Complex. Cyclops, the living embodiment of Xavier's dream, killing Xavier, his main father figure outright, was my "this is becoming nonsense" realization. Sure sure, we know he was "possessed by the Phoenix" etc. But Red Skull cutting open Xavier's head and then eating his brain to gain telepathic powers was another "my beloved X-Men are intentionally being flushed down the drain" moment I can point to.

At least I can still be excited for the figures. I wish they'd make a new side-scrolling X-Men game similar to the new TMNT Shredder's Revenge nostalgia ploy they came out with. I'd definitely be excited for something like that, provided it's done right.
Regarding Beast: Yes, it is difficult to care because it's essentially a completely different character using the same name....that's how unrecognizable he's become.

I gave the Krakoa era a commendable effort, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the fact that they can all be reincarnated and they are still running around as if the stakes are high for mutants. I read an issue where Storm came down with some terminal illness and she was dreading the thought of succumbing to it. Um.........why? That was the one question screaming in my head so much that I couldn't even focus on the story. Character resurrections are relegated one or two panels or a brief line of dialogue. It's worked into the fabric of the new status quo. What are the stakes for mutants?
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2102
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:47 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:15 am
Regarding Beast: Yes, it is difficult to care because it's essentially a completely different character using the same name....that's how unrecognizable he's become.

I gave the Krakoa era a commendable effort, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the fact that they can all be reincarnated and they are still running around as if the stakes are high for mutants. I read an issue where Storm came down with some terminal illness and she was dreading the thought of succumbing to it. Um.........why? That was the one question screaming in my head so much that I couldn't even focus on the story. Character resurrections are relegated one or two panels or a brief line of dialogue. It's worked into the fabric of the new status quo. What are the stakes for mutants?
The constant deaths of at least one X-Man at a time was becoming obnoxious around the time X-treme X-Men had come out. I could still at least somewhat enjoy the stories with the characters I loved. Colossus was given a commendable death sacrificing himself to stop the Legacy virus. Shortly after, Psylocke was killed saving Beast. Then Colossus was back right around the time Jean Grey died around the Xorn era. Banshee dead. Nightcrawler dead. Wolverine, sadly and exceptionally boringly dead. Cable and Xavier died multiple times within a few short years. It got to the point where it was a revolving door of dead team members. At least there were still enough X-Men alive to have a team. At least in the 90s people would split off to do things in other books, rather than just being killed outright because they weren't of use. The deaths got annoying, but what saddens me more than anything is the genuine death of these characters "character." Few if any act the same or even have similar personalities to what they once had. Apparently the editors don't even know how Xavier, Nightcrawler, Cyclops etc. would or wouldn't react to something anymore or deny writers doing what they please. It's just about doing whatever any given writer thinks might shock someone. But there's very little cohesion. No baseball games, no trips shopping, no one-on-one conversations on the roof, no sparring in the danger room. Now we have Cyclops being taken out by the Golden Girls with Mr.Freeze tech and Poison Ivy powers. Your choice of the word "unbearable" is probably the best way I can describe what I see whenever I pop in as you do, only to see which beloved character is being fed into the wood-chipper. But never fear kids, Domino has been skinned and turned into jerky strips to be sewn into Frankenstein mercenaries. Huzzah.
User avatar
Nik
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:54 am

That's one of the reasons why I loved the All-New X-Men run, bringing the characters from the past made it very apparent that these were the people that fans fell in love with for generations, and what they had become was not the business. I always point to AVX as the point that the X-Men changed for the worse, as Cyclops changed from being, well, Cyclops, to being some militant asshole just one step from outright villainy. When Beast brought the young X-Men to the future/present, young Scott was horrified with what he became, and resolved to never turn out that way.

The modern X books seem compelled to argue that old Scott was right to become a dick, and that all of the other X-Men should as well. I especially hate seeing Storm portrayed as an arrogant racist, and how pretty much every mutant is complicit with the idea of mutant supremacy. It's X-Men books made for people who don't like X-Men books, people who think that a team of heroes who protect the world that hates and fears them is not as good of a story as a nation of people who have become what they used to fight, who are no longer heroes, but self-appointed gods who will help the poor wittle humans when and how they deem necessary.

The X-Men should never act like they are superior to humanity, but that is the whole ethos of their new nation. We are better, y'all scrubs should be worshipping the ground we walk on, thank us for not simply destroying you, because that's what we have decreed in our mighty wisdom. That doesn't sound like heroes to me, and it sure as hell doesn't sound anything like Xavier's dream.

But I have rambled and ranted too long about this subject, sorry. I get a bit passionate about things I really care about.

As for the point of this thread, I really want the training outfit Storm, but nobody else in those costumes. I'm wondering if it would be smarter to buy the 3-pack she comes in and sell the other 2, or to just buy her on the secondary. I kinda feel like she won't be too expensive to get on her own since we've been lucky enough to have quite a few Storms made over the last few years.
User avatar
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:02 am

september_death wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:08 pm
Not to rain on your parade, but he’ll likely look a bit muscular on the heroic body and regular paints. Wasn’t Madrox in a loose long sleeve tee for that rub?
I dont think it’ll bother me much esp with the trench, depended on the artist but plenty of instances the shirt was fitted

Image
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2102
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:14 am

The Banshee 3pk is a day one order for moi. I'll wait til Jubilee / Storm / Forge go on sale. Unless I've mixed up who's in what box. Either way, Banshee and a Gambit are enough to get my attention. I just wish Storm's hair was less Soccer Mom and more like the comics at the time, so it could be swapped onto the white suit body etc.
User avatar
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7312
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 am

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 pm

Nik wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:54 am
The modern X books seem compelled to argue that old Scott was right to become a dick, and that all of the other X-Men should as well. I especially hate seeing Storm portrayed as an arrogant racist, and how pretty much every mutant is complicit with the idea of mutant supremacy. It's X-Men books made for people who don't like X-Men books, people who think that a team of heroes who protect the world that hates and fears them is not as good of a story as a nation of people who have become what they used to fight, who are no longer heroes, but self-appointed gods who will help the poor wittle humans when and how they deem necessary.

The X-Men should never act like they are superior to humanity, but that is the whole ethos of their new nation. We are better, y'all scrubs should be worshipping the ground we walk on, thank us for not simply destroying you, because that's what we have decreed in our mighty wisdom. That doesn't sound like heroes to me, and it sure as hell doesn't sound anything like Xavier's dream.
You have flawlessly summed up the latest X-Men status quo. I WANT to like it, but it all boils down to what you say here.

At least I have my figures. In my head canon these are still sympathetic, relatable characters.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”