X-Men Retro Legends

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Handsome
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 am

Gambit was my favorite on that show as a kid.
JTMarsh
CROM!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:49 am

He quickly became one of my favorites as well. I knew quite a few girls who watched the show because their brothers watched it and they admitted having a crush on Gambit, which I found a bit odd since he was a cartoon but whatever, to each their own. I had no clue who or what the X-Men were until the cartoon came out and given the opening intro I was convinced Cyclops was the coolest one just seeing him do that spin and decapitate 3 sentinels. Obviously Wolverine grew on me, but I remember the character that resonated with me was when Gambit's enslaved on Genosha and Cable shows up and when asked who he is after saving him, he just says "The wild man of Borneo" and walks off. Each character had a lot to like given their unique personalities, so over time I liked multiple characters for multiple reasons. I remember how excited I was when the Nightcrawler episode came on because I'd never seen him in anything but the arcade game and the few Excalibur comics I had. The cartoon is what led to my collecting X-Men titles for 20+ years, so clearly they got their money's worth out of me.

My first X-Men comic I bought specifically because it had a decent amount of Gambit in it. Feel free to cite whatever your first X-Men comic was as well.

JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am

Rogue was my favorite from the series, followed closely by Jean/Phoenix.

Have zero use for Wolverine outside of Hugh Jackman. He's the X-Man that just won't go away.

I remember Morph, but mostly because he died. He's kinda like the Tasha Yar of X-Men - a character mostly remembered for their death. That's not a knock - Tasha was my favorite and her death is probably how I learned about death (and TV contracts) and I sometimes wonder how TNG would have evolved had she not left. But, like Tasha, Morph is absolutely deserving of a figure. Especially since his power can be replicated accurately in action figure form.
MarvelLegendsMan
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:04 pm

I did love X-Men TAS as a kid, and I always will, but as a huge fan of the original 5, I was always disappointed that a crappy and annoying character like Morph appeared in as many episodes as he did while Archangel and Iceman - or even Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Psylocke, Dazzler and Banshee - were all used so sparingly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:05 pm

I think JT is nailed it perfectly. Excellently put.

Sometimes a character is developed with a specific purpose in mind, but they end up really resonating with audiences for some reason. Just because a character started as one thing does not mean they *stay* that thing. Morph clearly grew way beyond what the creators had intended for him. See also: Harley Quinn, who was originally supposed to be a one and done character. There are lots of characters that don't do anything for me, but that doesn't make them bad characters. It just means that they're not landing with me for whatever reason.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:26 pm

By the time the Animated Series came out in Oct '92, I was almost 14 and had been extensively reading Marvel comics (specifically the Spider-Man and X-Men titles) for almost 4 years. While I liked the Animated Series, I never truly embraced it because I was too much a stickler for the comic continuity and didn't really accept the creative differences the cartoon took. If it were up to me, I would have wanted a straight adaption of the comics. So, right from the get-go, I didn't like Morph. One, he was a "made-up" character. Two, I was just old enough to find him incredibly irritating. His voice was like nails on a chalkboard and his personality was annoying. I honestly believe my reaction at the end of episode 1 was, "OK, glad he's gone, moving on."

Had the Animated Series come out when I was younger, before I started reading comics (like both Transformers and GI Joe), I probably would have been much more accepting of the stories and remember it with the same fondness I do those two series. Even now, going back to watch it, I like the amount of stories it adapted and the amount of characters that make an appearance, even briefly, is quite impressive, but it is rough to watch. Way too much grunting and growling from Wolverine, Rogue's whiney voice is a lot.... just way too much long screaming of people's names.... it's tough to watch.

Having said all of that, I would still take a Morph figure, especially if they nail the details on the Jim Lee Training Uniform and it either comes with or is compatible with a bunch of different head and accessories. And swappable arms/jacket. That would be awesome too.
Handsome
CROM!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
My first X-Men comic I bought specifically because it had a decent amount of Gambit in it. Feel free to cite whatever your first X-Men comic was as well.

My older cousin gave me a few issues in the late '80s/early '90s. But the first one I bought with my own money was Uncanny #275. Then with Jim Lee's X-Men vol 2 #1, and Uncanny #281, I started buying every issue for a couple of years.

sepster wrote:
Way too much grunting and growling from Wolverine, Rogue's whiney voice is a lot.... just way too much long screaming of people's names.... it's tough to watch.
Really? I think for most characters on the show, Gambit, Beast, especially Wolverine and Rogue, they show has PERFECT voice casting.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Handsome wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 pm
sepster wrote:
Way too much grunting and growling from Wolverine, Rogue's whiney voice is a lot.... just way too much long screaming of people's names.... it's tough to watch.
Really? I think for most characters on the show, Gambit, Beast, especially Wolverine and Rogue, they show has PERFECT voice casting.

Yeah. The accent I felt was appropriate but it's really more the writing that I take issue with. Almost all of the characters are written to be in a constant state of concern or agony and, to me, it just comes off as a lot of high-pitched whining.

Believe me, I do have a good deal of fondness for the show but I've gone back and watched almost the entire series with my boys and I find it very rough at times.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Samael13 wrote:I think JT is nailed it perfectly. Excellently put.

Sometimes a character is developed with a specific purpose in mind, but they end up really resonating with audiences for some reason. Just because a character started as one thing does not mean they *stay* that thing. Morph clearly grew way beyond what the creators had intended for him. See also: Harley Quinn, who was originally supposed to be a one and done character. There are lots of characters that don't do anything for me, but that doesn't make them bad characters. It just means that they're not landing with me for whatever reason.
Oof that seems like a massive stretch to compare him to Harley... especially when he's only in 8 episodes and didn't leap off the show into other formats.

I get he has a fanbase that people are attached too but.. i don't personally think he touches anywhere close to Harley Quinn

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:12 pm

JTMarsh wrote:

I'm not sure which specific issue my first was - I started with the Marvel UK reprints which were printed weekly, and were some way behind the US comics. Looking online the first issue of Mighty World Of Marvel Vol.2 featured the first part of Days Of Future Past, although I've no memory of actually reading it. I was much more into Spidey, Daredevil and the FF back then.

The first issue of Uncanny X-Men proper that I picked up was #199. I had no idea who Phoenix was but I just loved the cover, and though I didn't really understand a whole lot of what was going on I got enough that I wanted to see more.

sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:

Oof that seems like a massive stretch to compare him to Harley... especially when he's only in 8 episodes and didn't leap off the show into other formats.

I get he has a fanbase that people are attached too but.. i don't personally think he touches anywhere close to Harley Quinn

Just wait for the Morph movie, you'll see.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:16 pm

sepster wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

Just wait for the Morph movie, you'll see.
Lol *yawns*

Only morph id take a film of is age of apocalypse/exiles morph, now that was actually a good character

Handsome
CROM!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:27 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:

Obviously he's not that popular, but he was an important part of the show. On the Final episode, they made a point to bring him back with the team.

And I'm not a big DC guy. Was Harley Quinn really that popular before they had Margot Robbie play her in short shorts?
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Handsome wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

Obviously he's not that popular, but he was an important part of the show. On the Final episode, they made a point to bring him back with the team.

And I'm not a big DC guy. Was Harley Quinn really that popular before they had Margot Robbie play her in short shorts?
Lol yes, Harley has pretty much been a top DC fan fave since her cartoon debut

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:45 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:

My point isn't that the characters reached similar levels of popularity, only that sometimes characters resonate far beyond their intended purpose. Neither Morph nor Harley were intended to last beyond their first appearance on the shows, but both ended up being popular enough with the audience that their roles were expanded. Also, while his *look* is different, Morph did make the "jump" to other formats, including like 100 issues of Exiles v1 and a part in the whole Age of Apocalypse storyline. Would Morph have been in either of those books were it not for his appearance in the animated series? Hard to say, for sure, but I doubt it, personally.

That any particular person doesn't like a character doesn't necessarily make them a *bad* character. I've never understood the appeal of the Punisher, and I strongly dislike when he's written as a 'hero,' but there's obviously a huge fanbase for the character. It's okay for other people to like something we don't. "I don't like that character" <> "that character is bad."

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”