Bring on the Bad Guys wave

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Bring on the Bad Guys wave

Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm

Can we all just accept Hank Pym accidentally released a Pym Particle contagion ala the T Virus and now characters can fluctuate in height unpredictably.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm
Trunks3540 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Some characters should be able to get away with size changing like any Symbiote, or Hulks, but for the majority they should stay the same.
Why? We're dealing with characters who are drawn in wildly different and sometimes tremendously inconsistent ways. Marvel lists heights/weights for characters, but those stats are... not very reliable. Lots of characters (most, frankly) just aren't drawn consistently enough to say "this is how tall they actually are." Sabretooth, in his early appearances, was barely bigger than Iron Fist. In HoX, he's *massive*. These two depictions really shouldn't exist on the same buck:

It's not about "size changing" as though it's part of their power set, it's that comic characters are *drawn* all kinds of different sizes, so different people will have a mental image of a character at different sizes. Like, some people think Colossus should be Marvel Select size because he was drawn so massive during the Jim Lee days. I prefer him the ML size, because of how he was drawn during the Giant Size era.
And my ocd, I would know if its different. Even with my stuff in bins I know which figures I regret because of the size and execution, just how different they are then what came before or after, even though they're supposed to be the same line and character.
I mean, if it's an OCD thing, I guess it's an OCD thing, but, given how many different artists have their hands on these characters, that just seems like an attitude that's bound to make you unhappy, and maybe the best thing is to stop buying figures that fall outside of your preferred size, so you don't regret buying them later?
And if they try to correct all their mistakes, we'd be rebuying half the line over again. Most of them are minor like sizes or things like that, but I would like to get new things I don't already have over the same figure in the same outfit for a 3rd time just cause the new one has pinless joints or is a centimeter shorter with different hair that parts on the other side. Most of the representations they have now are pretty fricken good, with minor problems at best. There are a few exceptions. But the majority are nice, and look nice together, and look like the same person that came before, even if some bodies are slightly changed or altered, they still look really similar. And even though they're not side by side all the time, I'll compare. And I will always know. And it will always bug me.
They're *always* going to rerelease figures with new costumes or at different sizes, though. There's zero chance that ML ever stops remaking characters. They do it because some characters are so popular they need to be reintroduced from time to time for people who are newer to the line. They're never going to stop releasing Wolverine and Cyclops and Hulk and Iron Man and Cap. Those rereleases are part of what keeps the line alive and lets them dig into the C and D list characters as often as they do. Without a bunch of Spider-Man figures, we don't get White Rabbit or Frog Man. If they're going to keep releasing new version of old characters (and they *are* going to) I'm glad that they keep improving them or releasing versions that are different and appeal to people who might not have liked something about the earlier releases. I don't want or need Sabretooth looking like he's 8' tall, but it wouldn't *bother* me if they released him that way, and I know there are tons of people who would be delighted, so that's a win for them. It'd just mean I skip buying that figure.
this is how i feel mostly, i just want the figure design to reflect the "usual" art of that look.

i wouldn't want a jim lee sabretooth and a FA ironfist sabes to be the same height or build at all
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm
Can we all just accept Hank Pym accidentally released a Pym Particle contagion ala the T Virus and now characters can fluctuate in height unpredictably.
That must be the reason for the upcoming “Attack of the 50’ Howard”. comic featuring everyone’s favorite chain smoking duck.

No, not Destroyer Duck, the other one.

No, not Lobo the Duck, the OTHER one.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 pm
That must be the reason for the upcoming “Attack of the 50’ Howard”. comic featuring everyone’s favorite chain smoking duck.

No, not Destroyer Duck, the other one.

No, not Lobo the Duck, the OTHER one.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 am

Samael13 wrote:
Trunks3540 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Some characters should be able to get away with size changing like any Symbiote, or Hulks, but for the majority they should stay the same.
Why? We're dealing with characters who are drawn in wildly different and sometimes tremendously inconsistent ways. Marvel lists heights/weights for characters, but those stats are... not very reliable. Lots of characters (most, frankly) just aren't drawn consistently enough to say "this is how tall they actually are." Sabretooth, in his early appearances, was barely bigger than Iron Fist. In HoX, he's *massive*. These two depictions really shouldn't exist on the same buck:

It's not about "size changing" as though it's part of their power set, it's that comic characters are *drawn* all kinds of different sizes, so different people will have a mental image of a character at different sizes. Like, some people think Colossus should be Marvel Select size because he was drawn so massive during the Jim Lee days. I prefer him the ML size, because of how he was drawn during the Giant Size era.
And my ocd, I would know if its different. Even with my stuff in bins I know which figures I regret because of the size and execution, just how different they are then what came before or after, even though they're supposed to be the same line and character.
I mean, if it's an OCD thing, I guess it's an OCD thing, but, given how many different artists have their hands on these characters, that just seems like an attitude that's bound to make you unhappy, and maybe the best thing is to stop buying figures that fall outside of your preferred size, so you don't regret buying them later?
And if they try to correct all their mistakes, we'd be rebuying half the line over again. Most of them are minor like sizes or things like that, but I would like to get new things I don't already have over the same figure in the same outfit for a 3rd time just cause the new one has pinless joints or is a centimeter shorter with different hair that parts on the other side. Most of the representations they have now are pretty fricken good, with minor problems at best. There are a few exceptions. But the majority are nice, and look nice together, and look like the same person that came before, even if some bodies are slightly changed or altered, they still look really similar. And even though they're not side by side all the time, I'll compare. And I will always know. And it will always bug me.
They're *always* going to rerelease figures with new costumes or at different sizes, though. There's zero chance that ML ever stops remaking characters. They do it because some characters are so popular they need to be reintroduced from time to time for people who are newer to the line. They're never going to stop releasing Wolverine and Cyclops and Hulk and Iron Man and Cap. Those rereleases are part of what keeps the line alive and lets them dig into the C and D list characters as often as they do. Without a bunch of Spider-Man figures, we don't get White Rabbit or Frog Man. If they're going to keep releasing new version of old characters (and they *are* going to) I'm glad that they keep improving them or releasing versions that are different and appeal to people who might not have liked something about the earlier releases. I don't want or need Sabretooth looking like he's 8' tall, but it wouldn't *bother* me if they released him that way, and I know there are tons of people who would be delighted, so that's a win for them. It'd just mean I skip buying that figure.
I'm fine with new costumes. There are still Wolverine and Punisher outfits I want. But it's the rereleasing the same outfit over and over with just slight improvements that bugs me a little. I get why. But I would rather have new figures. If they would keep the rereleases to retro cards that would be ideal so they don't take up slots for other figures. Or multi packs. So we can skip them if we want. As it is though I still have both versions of Tiger Stripe and Brown suit Logan, Jim Lee Rogue, Jim Lee Gambit, and Archangel for all the slight improvements. But that's XMen. I skipped quite a few of the other ones. Like all of the Spiderman retro redos, and the 80th Cap. I'll only really do that for XMen as well, cause that's my favorite.

And I get why other people want the same character on different bodies and such. Like Sabertooth. I was just explaining why I didn't. It would just bug my OCD. It may not be the most logical reason, but it's not like I can control my mental disorders. Lol.

And I have cut down on what I buy recently because of buyers remorse on some figures. Because of a number of factors I have to buy most stuff online now, like alot of people, so I can't see the product in hand before I buy it. So I'm going off promo images and preorders. And sometimes it doesn't live up to what I want it to. But I think that's just part of the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 am

I'm most excited to see Dormammu and the Red Skull in hand. Still really hoping that the headsculpt from the Iron Skull fits on the new figure.

I'm personally not a fan of the new female figure size. I think they "over-corrected" and made them too small instead of too tall. Seeing those pics of Deathstrike just slightly taller than Wolverine doesn't do it for me.

Is it the end of the world? Am I going to lose sleep over it? Nah.
But she's gong to be a pass for me.

I'm wrapping up the X-Men anyway. Just need a Cyclops re-release from the Dark Phoenix 2-pack and some sort of Sabretooth and I'm pretty much done.
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 pm

I bought a bunch of Hyrdra troopers off Pulse so I'm ready for that Red skull. Hoping for another Baron Zemo soon. The other comic style is
ex-PENSIVE on eBay.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:I bought a bunch of Hyrdra troopers off Pulse so I'm ready for that Red skull. Hoping for another Baron Zemo soon. The other comic style is
ex-PENSIVE on eBay.
Yes, we need a new Zemo very badly.

Specifically, this Zemo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 11, 2021 9:34 pm

That or This

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 pm

aceofknaves wrote:
FlexionDynamo wrote:I bought a bunch of Hyrdra troopers off Pulse so I'm ready for that Red skull. Hoping for another Baron Zemo soon. The other comic style is
ex-PENSIVE on eBay.
Yes, we need a new Zemo very badly.

Specifically, this Zemo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely want this Zemo. Might be blasphemy, but I’d prefer there’s a nice contrast between his main suit and his chest/mask.

I wouldn’t balk at a redo of the last one, with some baggier pieces we have from Shatterstar, Red Skull, etc. The Buck Cap parts and loose belt/tunic didn’t work for me. But beyond a Siege/MoE Zemo, I suppose a Thunderbolts version is most likely.

WickedFrontier
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 pm

I will be receiving these between tomorrow and Friday! I really can't wait!
swipergod
Faster than a speeding bullet

Tue May 11, 2021 9:45 pm

In addition to Zemo, I'd love a redo of Viper or Mme Masque. Bring on the bad girls!
WickedFrontier
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue May 11, 2021 10:14 pm

swipergod wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:45 pm
In addition to Zemo, I'd love a redo of Viper or Mme Masque. Bring on the bad girls!
This! We need more female villains in this line!! Viper, Madame Masque, comic Hela, Titania, Shriek, Lady Octopus, Anna Kravinoff...
dorksidetoys
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Falling Downer wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 am
I'm most excited to see Dormammu and the Red Skull in hand. Still really hoping that the headsculpt from the Iron Skull fits on the new figure.

I'm personally not a fan of the new female figure size. I think they "over-corrected" and made them too small instead of too tall. Seeing those pics of Deathstrike just slightly taller than Wolverine doesn't do it for me.

Is it the end of the world? Am I going to lose sleep over it? Nah.
But she's gong to be a pass for me.

I'm wrapping up the X-Men anyway. Just need a Cyclops re-release from the Dark Phoenix 2-pack and some sort of Sabretooth and I'm pretty much done.
blobfrombeyond
Avengers Assemble

Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 pm

….and there was much rejoicing across the land…

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”