Bring on the Bad Guys wave

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Storm of the Vale
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Bring on the Bad Guys wave

Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Now let's not go getting too realistic and reflective of the size of real humans in our action figure lines. I don't need my male figures to have beer guts and moobs.
What about The Blob?
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
drkknght64 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:57 pm
The new female body size makes them look like kids next to the males and older female bodies in the line even the teen body.

What's the average height of a woman worldwide?

Hint--it's well under the relative height of the House of X Jean Grey or this new Lady Deathstrike.
Now let's not go getting too realistic and reflective of the size of real humans in our action figure lines. I don't need my male figures to have beer guts and moobs.

That's not the context I was replying to. Cloak-n-Dagger said the females looked like kids next to the males. Which is bizarre given that in real life the average woman is even shorter relative to the the average man than Jean Grey and Lady Deathstrike are to most of the male figures. Which makes me wonder why he wouldn't realize that, so I immediately wondered if he realizes how tall women actually are relative to men--hence my question.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 pm

drkknght64 wrote:Here's the deal we can all agree to disagree and sometimes agree.
The females are not just shorter now but they have lost size as well.
The females have always lagged behind the males in this line.
It's okay if you want the females to be shorter and I get that but not to lose their size.
You want your females to look as they stepped out of comic books as the same as the males and look good standing next to the males.
The new female body size makes them look like kids next to the males and older female bodies in the line even the teen body.
It's just the comic figures though and that is due to the price increase and not having a budget like the movie waves.
If you have Xialing and Katy from the Shang Chi wave stand them next to Moria. They are both just slightly bigger in size than Moria.
If you collect GI Joes and you have Scarlett stand her next to Moria or if you have her already Lady Deathstrike and look at the difference in "size".
GI Joe has a bigger budget than ML comic line and it shows in the female body size.
We all don't like the price increase but we still, want this and that and the BAF and we want our males to have this and the females to have this.
Well to have all that we want for the males and the females, something had to go and that was the size and height of the females.
One of the best looking female figures I have seen from a different line in six inch is the Jakks Apex Legends Mirage figure. She is the slightly taller than the Moria figure but she looks good standing next to the males in ML at every size.
I'm sorry to say but what we all want for the comic figures, males and females, the accessories, articulation, sculpted details and including BAF something had to be sacrificed because the comic line doesn't have a budget like the movie lines or other lines under Hasbro's umbrella.
Just a note, an adult woman body and a teen body should be the same height... unless the female character is maybe 13... women stop growing in height at 14/15

And none of the women on "teen bucks" are that young

They only look tiny next to other older women figures though, height is accurate with the men

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
What's the average height of a woman worldwide?

Hint--it's well under the relative height of the House of X Jean Grey or this new Lady Deathstrike.

That's not the context I was replying to. Cloak-n-Dagger said the females looked like kids next to the males. Which is bizarre given that in real life the average woman is even shorter relative to the the average man than Jean Grey and Lady Deathstrike are to most of the male figures. Which makes me wonder why he wouldn't realize that, so I immediately wondered if he realizes how tall women actually are relative to men--hence my question.
For the record that wasn't me that said that.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 pm
For the record that wasn't me that said that.

Oops, my bad, I meant drkknght64.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Yea I'm not looking to get too many realistic super heroes either. They're comic characters for a reason. The only characters that should have man boobs are Blob, Mojo, and Endgame Thor. If these women were supposed to be real people, they all wouldn't have tiny waists and beautiful faces. The Moonstone buck everyone loves so much shouldn't even exist. Not every female on earth shares the same body type and looks like a super model. Definitely not looking to get the XMen if they shopped at Wal Mart wave. So let's not go with what they would really look like.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last Archer
Customized

Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 am

Trunks3540 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 pm
Yea I'm not looking to get too many realistic super heroes either. They're comic characters for a reason. The only characters that should have man boobs are Blob, Mojo, and Endgame Thor. If these women were supposed to be real people, they all wouldn't have tiny waists and beautiful faces. The Moonstone buck everyone loves so much shouldn't even exist. Not every female on earth shares the same body type and looks like a super model. Definitely not looking to get the XMen if they shopped at Wal Mart wave. So let's not go with what they would really look like.

I dunnno , this was hilariously great back in the day
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 2:01 am

Trunks3540 wrote:Yea I'm not looking to get too many realistic super heroes either. They're comic characters for a reason. The only characters that should have man boobs are Blob, Mojo, and Endgame Thor. If these women were supposed to be real people, they all wouldn't have tiny waists and beautiful faces. The Moonstone buck everyone loves so much shouldn't even exist. Not every female on earth shares the same body type and looks like a super model. Definitely not looking to get the XMen if they shopped at Wal Mart wave. So let's not go with what they would really look like.

This. Comic characters have idealized bodies. To match the comics, the relative sizes of the figures will not be especially realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 am

Lol the funny thing is I dont think anyone thinks they should have average human builds... these arnt average humans.

Also keep in mind... peek human physique, which they all should have, doesnt effect height

The fact of the matter is the figures in question dont reflect the height of how they're drawn.

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Count me in the "this is a huge improvement" camp. The majority of the female figures they've produced have been too tall relative to the male figures. Better late than never on a course correction. I also don't get the "once they've [email protected]#$ up, they should continue to [email protected]#$ it up" mentality, honestly. These characters are drawn all kinds of different sizes, so there's not exactly internal consistency within the comics. I think last Sabretooth we got was perfect, size-wise, but I know there are some that want him freaking huge like he was shown in the animated series, and want to see him on the Omega Red buck; should they never do that because "we already committed to one size. too bad"?

I don't display multiples of the same character next to each other, so it genuinely doesn't matter to me if they're the same size over and over. Deathstrike was never dangerous because of her size, but because she's a badass cyborg ninja with freaky sharp extendable razor fingers. Back in the day, she was always drawn as more a lithe/agile fighter, not some massive bruiser. I think this figure fairly represents that. Like, here she is next to the 6'2" Pierce.

Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 3:13 pm

I will say that the female figures have been too tall, but overall with the size creep in the line recently, the females have been closer to scale than ever before as is. I'm all for more body variety though. I'm sure Hasbro won't be full on retiring the older female bodies anyway.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Back in the day, she was always drawn as more a lithe/agile fighter, not some massive bruiser. I think this figure fairly represents that. Like, here she is next to the 6'2" Pierce.

She looks like a cute, tiny baby in that picture. All I want to do is swaddle her, cradle her, and call her daddy's lil' baby girl. Image

Or given that the average human head is 8 to 9 inches tall that just makes her around 5' 6" in that pic, or as much as 5' 8" if she's wearing flats and Pierce is wearing boots. Or maybe he had his plus-sized cyborg parts on that day.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 5:56 pm

Samael13 wrote:Count me in the "this is a huge improvement" camp. The majority of the female figures they've produced have been too tall relative to the male figures. Better late than never on a course correction. I also don't get the "once they've [email protected]#$ up, they should continue to [email protected]#$ it up" mentality, honestly. These characters are drawn all kinds of different sizes, so there's not exactly internal consistency within the comics. I think last Sabretooth we got was perfect, size-wise, but I know there are some that want him freaking huge like he was shown in the animated series, and want to see him on the Omega Red buck; should they never do that because "we already committed to one size. too bad"?

I don't display multiples of the same character next to each other, so it genuinely doesn't matter to me if they're the same size over and over. Deathstrike was never dangerous because of her size, but because she's a badass cyborg ninja with freaky sharp extendable razor fingers. Back in the day, she was always drawn as more a lithe/agile fighter, not some massive bruiser. I think this figure fairly represents that. Like, here she is next to the 6'2" Pierce.

To be fair he looks a bit more in the foreground as she's standing behind him and he seems definitely seems closer (you can tell by the cape). Id be curious what they look like side by side.

Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm

I am not inclined to want Sabertooth any larger either, even as a huge fan of the show. Maybe a new body sure, although I don't hate the Hyperion as much as some. But with the same height and proportions as the old one, just sculpted better. Some characters should be able to get away with size changing like any Symbiote, or Hulks, but for the majority they should stay the same. And my ocd, I would know if its different. Even with my stuff in bins I know which figures I regret because of the size and execution, just how different they are then what came before or after, even though they're supposed to be the same line and character.

In a weird vein, it's also why I don't own any John Wick figures. I love the movies. I love the franchise. I love Keanu. But I can't bring myself to buy any of the figures because they're all out of scale with each other and just about everything else I own. It's why I never got into DCD, Marvel Select, or most of the other lines like what NECA does with their film lines and turtles and such. I have a few select figures, because I really really liked them when I saw them, and so I impulse bought. But I have to keep them away from my 6 inch stuff. Or it irks me to no end that they're different scales.

And if they try to correct all their mistakes, we'd be rebuying half the line over again. Most of them are minor like sizes or things like that, but I would like to get new things I don't already have over the same figure in the same outfit for a 3rd time just cause the new one has pinless joints or is a centimeter shorter with different hair that parts on the other side. Most of the representations they have now are pretty fricken good, with minor problems at best. There are a few exceptions. But the majority are nice, and look nice together, and look like the same person that came before, even if some bodies are slightly changed or altered, they still look really similar. And even though they're not side by side all the time, I'll compare. And I will always know. And it will always bug me.

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Some characters should be able to get away with size changing like any Symbiote, or Hulks, but for the majority they should stay the same.
Why? We're dealing with characters who are drawn in wildly different and sometimes tremendously inconsistent ways. Marvel lists heights/weights for characters, but those stats are... not very reliable. Lots of characters (most, frankly) just aren't drawn consistently enough to say "this is how tall they actually are." Sabretooth, in his early appearances, was barely bigger than Iron Fist. In HoX, he's *massive*. These two depictions really shouldn't exist on the same buck:

It's not about "size changing" as though it's part of their power set, it's that comic characters are *drawn* all kinds of different sizes, so different people will have a mental image of a character at different sizes. Like, some people think Colossus should be Marvel Select size because he was drawn so massive during the Jim Lee days. I prefer him the ML size, because of how he was drawn during the Giant Size era.
And my ocd, I would know if its different. Even with my stuff in bins I know which figures I regret because of the size and execution, just how different they are then what came before or after, even though they're supposed to be the same line and character.
I mean, if it's an OCD thing, I guess it's an OCD thing, but, given how many different artists have their hands on these characters, that just seems like an attitude that's bound to make you unhappy, and maybe the best thing is to stop buying figures that fall outside of your preferred size, so you don't regret buying them later?
And if they try to correct all their mistakes, we'd be rebuying half the line over again. Most of them are minor like sizes or things like that, but I would like to get new things I don't already have over the same figure in the same outfit for a 3rd time just cause the new one has pinless joints or is a centimeter shorter with different hair that parts on the other side. Most of the representations they have now are pretty fricken good, with minor problems at best. There are a few exceptions. But the majority are nice, and look nice together, and look like the same person that came before, even if some bodies are slightly changed or altered, they still look really similar. And even though they're not side by side all the time, I'll compare. And I will always know. And it will always bug me.
They're *always* going to rerelease figures with new costumes or at different sizes, though. There's zero chance that ML ever stops remaking characters. They do it because some characters are so popular they need to be reintroduced from time to time for people who are newer to the line. They're never going to stop releasing Wolverine and Cyclops and Hulk and Iron Man and Cap. Those rereleases are part of what keeps the line alive and lets them dig into the C and D list characters as often as they do. Without a bunch of Spider-Man figures, we don't get White Rabbit or Frog Man. If they're going to keep releasing new version of old characters (and they *are* going to) I'm glad that they keep improving them or releasing versions that are different and appeal to people who might not have liked something about the earlier releases. I don't want or need Sabretooth looking like he's 8' tall, but it wouldn't *bother* me if they released him that way, and I know there are tons of people who would be delighted, so that's a win for them. It'd just mean I skip buying that figure.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”