Wave Eternals

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Wave Eternals

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:07 am
Thanks for the response guys.

I'm at the point where I'm going to try to attempt to dramatically cut down my MCU buying. Getting the whole team is probably off the table, even if I see the movie and love it. But just ONE Eternal is probably called for.
Again, that sounds exactly like my mentality before I got them. I really did NOT want to want these. I wanted to cut down my marvel buying and this wave seemed like a great chance to skip something entirely.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:40 am

If there were comic based Eternals figures I would have purchased them all by now. These look like good representations of what’s on the screen, but that’s not my preference when it comes to Marvel Legends.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:58 am

If you get one, I recommend Thena. She is a fun ACTION figure, and has accessories. Plus, a great likeness.

I also would not mind at all if Hasbro put her upper legs into rotation in the regular line - they look great, not deathly.

I'm tempted to keep all of them in the package so they can hang on the wall, but keep my extra Thena open and posed with Kro.

Finally - I would like a Karun as he was delightful. I'd also like a plainclothes Sersi and Dane. And Arishem - still tempted by that Funko Pop Jumbo version.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 am

I was someone who bought the whole wave right away, chased down the two exclusives, know I could've waited to save a few bucks, and then had a bad experience the theater due to technical difficulties and didn't get to watch it on D+ til this weekend. I gotta say, 100% understand it's not everyone's kind of film, but I can't stop thinking about it, and not in a "wow that was fun way." Like "these weird aliens stuck in my head and heart in ways I can't quite put into words and I really appreciate that."

I was really glad to have the core cast in Legends form already there in my collection after seeing the film, with wonderful likenesses. I hope Hasbro doesn't see how they handled this wave as a mistake, because love or hate the film, easily purchasable, really beautiful figures without huge gaps in the cast (I'd love a Dane and Karun too, but get why they aren't made) is top tier toy buying experience.

Meanwhile I'll just sit here feeling profoundly sad and moved by this weird, big, beautiful superhero rumination. I love superhero movies, and this one was different and strange, with different, strange heroes and action figures, and that's cool to me.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 am

docsilence wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 am
I was someone who bought the whole wave right away, chased down the two exclusives, know I could've waited to save a few bucks, and then had a bad experience the theater due to technical difficulties and didn't get to watch it on D+ til this weekend. I gotta say, 100% understand it's not everyone's kind of film, but I can't stop thinking about it, and not in a "wow that was fun way." Like "these weird aliens stuck in my head and heart in ways I can't quite put into words and I really appreciate that."

I was really glad to have the core cast in Legends form already there in my collection after seeing the film, with wonderful likenesses. I hope Hasbro doesn't see how they handled this wave as a mistake, because love or hate the film, easily purchasable, really beautiful figures without huge gaps in the cast (I'd love a Dane and Karun too, but get why they aren't made) is top tier toy buying experience.

Meanwhile I'll just sit here feeling profoundly sad and moved by this weird, big, beautiful superhero rumination. I love superhero movies, and this one was different and strange, with different, strange heroes and action figures, and that's cool to me.
We had to have discussed this, right? But yeah, I had the same thing. It was a movie that I thought about a lot after seeing it, more like other non-marvel movies. It really stuck with me, and like you, I was so glad to have them all already and so easily. It's probably the closest to when I was a kid in years, where you can see a movie then go right out and actually get the toys then and there.
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am

I liked the film so much I've actually picked up Kirby's original Eternals run in an omnibus, and I'm loving that too!. It did make me want figures, but I've got a hard "no movie figures" rule now. I'm really hoping we can at least get a comic Ikaris at the very least to satiate my hunger a bit!
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Demjot wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am
I liked the film so much I've actually picked up Kirby's original Eternals run in an omnibus, and I'm loving that too!. It did make me want figures, but I've got a hard "no movie figures" rule now. I'm really hoping we can at least get a comic Ikaris at the very least to satiate my hunger a bit!

I'd love to get some comic Eternals and I'm sure the movie only made that more of a possibility. Sersi and Ikaris are the ones we're most likely to get - everyone beyond that seems like a bit more of a reach. I would happily collect the entire movie cast in their comic counterparts though!
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Definitely a stretch to see the full Eternals comics versions (despite them being so weirdly toyetic in design), but I'd love to see at least Ikaris, Sersi, and maybe Sprite. The most recent Gillen run put Kingo and Druig in the spotlight in a strong way, too, but if we can't get the Inhumans, I doubt we'll see the Eternals.

Weird side note: I'm mildly hooked on the stupid Marvel Strike Force mobile game and they added Ikaris and Sersi there, and they really help sell me on the movie looks having them in a game as well as the movies.
Ru_1977 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 am

We had to have discussed this, right? But yeah, I had the same thing. It was a movie that I thought about a lot after seeing it, more like other non-marvel movies. It really stuck with me, and like you, I was so glad to have them all already and so easily. It's probably the closest to when I was a kid in years, where you can see a movie then go right out and actually get the toys then and there.
I don't think we chatted about it yet because I only got to see the whole film this past Saturday, but I'm not surprised we had similar reactions. It's funny, I had a completely different visceral reaction to this one from any other Marvel movies. Instead of glee or joy I just felt this one emotionally instead. Then again I spend a wild amount of time in my own work chewing on the whole "humanity... are we worth it?" question, so maybe that's why I found it so moving and haven't been able to shake it for days.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:21 pm

docsilence wrote: I don't think we chatted about it yet because I only got to see the whole film this past Saturday, but I'm not surprised we had similar reactions. It's funny, I had a completely different visceral reaction to this one from any other Marvel movies. Instead of glee or joy I just felt this one emotionally instead. Then again I spend a wild amount of time in my own work chewing on the whole "humanity... are we worth it?" question, so maybe that's why I found it so moving and haven't been able to shake it for days.
Yeah, it posed some questions and such that are things I really love to dwell on as well. That's why I think it just taps into something for particular people. I mentioned somewhere on here (either in this thread or the Multiplex one for the movie) but this movie isn't like most Marvel movies where I am in the mood to watch a sequence or the last act etc, rather I want to have the whole experience in one sitting. It's not perfect but I really enjoy how all the pieces are put together. And like you said, the emotional impact is something I want to wallow in for the entire length.
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm

What I *did* like about the movie was that the ostensible villains weren't particularly villainous, and it focused more on a dysfunctional family dynamic. And that, despite profound differences, the family more or less stuck together. I really liked Druig as an atypical heroic character.

It also made me rethink Thanos's motives for halving populations...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing someone thinking less of Kingo for his decision but... I totally got where he was coming from and loved that one character took that stance.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:54 pm

El Honez wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm
What I *did* like about the movie was that the ostensible villains weren't particularly villainous, and it focused more on a dysfunctional family dynamic. And that, despite profound differences, the family more or less stuck together. I really liked Druig as an atypical heroic character.

It also made me rethink Thanos's motives for halving populations...
Yeah, instead of a *bad* guy villain, it was sort of greater good versus individualism, programming vs. free will battle. Very deep dive into action and consequence. Which I think is why I get why it wasn't for everyone. It was very atypical in its structure and purpose.
Rawr993
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:07 pm

El Honez wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 am
Rawr993 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:41 pm
So I guess most people who didn’t like the figures don’t like the character designs or the movie?

Definitely not perfect figures but I still think a very strong set.

I doubt we will ever see updates of these characters from this film & if we did I imagine it would be a rerelease with a star fox 2-pack or something. It’s a shame hasbro doesn’t do accessory packs were they could put accessories like accurate/better head sculpt for sprite, Ajak, & makkari or effect pieces for Gilgamesh & Thena in it. It definitely would be a cool way of getting these accessories out to collectors & a good way of fixing inaccuracies rather than having to wait years if at all to get a redo of one character.
I think I have a slightly different take.

I can appreciate the aesthetics of figures without any allegiance to my personal feelings about the media on which they were based (for transparency, I was unimpressed with Eternals). And I can look at any one of these individually and think, "Hey, nice likeness!" -- which is broadly true for all of them. Or, "Cool deco!" -- also true. But collectively, this is one boring-ass wave. It's homogenous.

If I were only handed the figures and asked to guess the movie title, I'd guess Calm Sensible Adult Human Beings in Shiny Robes. I took one look at the wave when it was first announced, incredulous, knowing Hasbro would be losing their collective shirts on this one.

Would it have killed them to include a Deviant? Comic Eternals to break it up? Build-a-Karkas?
How do you think they could have improved the wave with these characters? More accessories, hands, alternative heads?

I think even small accessories would have made a bit of a difference even a character like ajak having glowing hands to add a little flair to the figure would go a long way.

I really think hasbro should start releasing accessory packs i think now that the film is out they could do the accessories justice since they wouldnt be working of of concept art.
Artistix
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:54 pm

Have the set coming from BBTS & found a seller here in Aussieland who had Thena/Ajak.

Just finished watching the movie. Really enjoyed it. Can understand why it was review bombed - gays, ethnic & gender diversity, males crying. That's the kinda stuff that annoys the crap out of angry white dudes! :D
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:03 pm

What a reductive comment.

Some glowy hands on Ajak would have been nice, and something for Phastos especially, but since the final renders would almost definitely have not have matched the reference given (see: Thena), it would have created another round of complaints.

At least we can give Chloe Zhao props for this: the costumes themselves didn't change in Post, unlike so many MCU suits these days. It was only really a few hairstyles that differed and Thena's boots.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”