Disney+ Wave 1 Spring/Summer 2021 - (Captain America Wings BaF)

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Disney+ Wave 1 Spring/Summer 2021 - (Captain America Wings BaF)

Tue May 04, 2021 11:56 pm

K_Steel wrote:
fac wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 pm
I don't feel any of the Netflix show characters are powerful enough, or the storylines being at a scale that overlaps to MCU stories, that their absence from past MCU events would be hard to explain. Last we saw the characters it was pre-Snap and they didn't introduce any characters that I could see the MCU wanting to revamp enough to recast/reboot. So folding them in would be easier than starting over.

Iron Fist in a mid-credits scene in Shang-Chi wouldn't shock me for instance.
While that's true, this is more of a 'quality control' thing.

Kevin Feige had nothing to do with the Netflix shows, and they were hit and miss. Daredevil was a hit, no doubt. The others were divisive, to terrible.

Re-using most of the same actors, but in a new context and timeline created by Feige is probably the route they'll go. Instead of trying to maintain the Loeb continuity and aesthetics, or expecting audiences to have seen those shows... as most didn't.

The only character I'd replace outright is Iron Fist. It was one of the worst superhero shows ever done, and tieing it into the MCU would be damaging.

Reintroduce the character with a new actor as Orson Randall. That's probably the best option at this point.

He could be a longtime rival of Wen Wu/ The Mandarin.

You could keep Ritter and Colter. Introduce them as a married couple with superpowers without specifically referencing the events of the Netflix shows.
Honestly.. I thought season 2 of ironfist was pretty good, and both were better than Jessica Jones second season... oof.. that was bad. And season 3 was only barely better

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 am

MarcelDuchamp wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm
I would unironically love this look for Netflix Iron Fist in Marvel Legends.

I would buy it lol. I will buy any Netflix Legends they make!
jkpopculture
Runs Around in Tights

Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 am

K_Steel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm
fac wrote:
I don't feel any of the Netflix show characters are powerful enough, or the storylines being at a scale that overlaps to MCU stories, that their absence from past MCU events would be hard to explain. Last we saw the characters it was pre-Snap and they didn't introduce any characters that I could see the MCU wanting to revamp enough to recast/reboot. So folding them in would be easier than starting over.

Kevin Feige had nothing to do with the Netflix shows, and they were hit and miss. Daredevil was a hit, no doubt. The others were divisive, to terrible.

Re-using most of the same actors, but in a new context and timeline created by Feige is probably the route they'll go. Instead of trying to maintain the Loeb continuity and aesthetics, or expecting audiences to have seen those shows... as most didn't.

The only character I'd replace outright is Iron Fist. It was one of the worst superhero shows ever done, and tieing it into the MCU would be damaging.

Reintroduce the character with a new actor as Orson Randall. That's probably the best option at this point.

He could be a longtime rival of Wen Wu/ The Mandarin.

You could keep Ritter and Colter. Introduce them as a married couple with superpowers without specifically referencing the events of the Netflix shows.
Honestly I think that they would be more likely to recast Danny rand than introducing Orson Randell because of brand recognition and him being the more iconic character. But I could see that happening too. Orson Randell was mentioned in iron fist for what that's worth.
fac
Avengers Assemble

Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 am

K_Steel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm
fac wrote:

You might be right that is the logic, but I guess I don't see the point in ignoring those shows, unless they have a story they feel they want to tell that they can't do because of the Netflix stories. Which isn't to disagree that they don't want to stick to those shows continuity and want to recast and rework the characters or designs or so on. If they decide to recast some of them, might as well go all the way and ignore the past shows at that point and take advantage of the multiverse. But it seems like they could just as easily not commit either way to whether the shows were in continuity by just not referencing them - which is different than rebooting and maybe more explicitly stating it was a different timeline - that just seems like it would be forced in.

X-Men, want to reboot that - fine. I think they could explain those films but more I think about it they want folks in those roles who they can work with for the next 15 years. FF needs a reboot no doubt. Spidey we'll see if they are integrating the other Spideys.

From the Netflix series the only character/team that needs to be in the MCU is Daredevil (and his direct supporting cast plus Kingpin) - Daredevil is a first tier character to me. The rest I'm OK if they join the MCU or not going forward.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 am

I also agree that if you recast the supporting cast, there is little point in bringing them back at all. Another reason I don't think they will do that. Recasting the supporting cast I mean
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 am

e-rock wrote:I also agree that if you recast the supporting cast, there is little point in bringing them back at all. Another reason I don't think they will do that. Recasting the supporting cast I mean
Its a slippery slope, I think DD's are perfect and Punisher could easily go without any of his, Jessica Jones though... while I liked Trish, she's alot of weight and there's quite alot that could of been handled better with her, but she's the only one that I would even care about or not coming back from her supporting cast (since purpleman is dead)

It just sucks that they don't seem favorable to Cage. And if you bring cage back, might as well bring Danny.

Its all a bit conflicting.

Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 05, 2021 4:30 am

Doing some sort of Exiles type story in Deadpool 3 would let Marvel grandfather in whatever they want. I just want Deadpool to say "[email protected]$$ Scott Buck" once. Or a lot of times. Lead a whole Inhumans children's choir singing it. Seriously [email protected]#$ that guy.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am

spideyboy1111 wrote:
e-rock wrote:I also agree that if you recast the supporting cast, there is little point in bringing them back at all. Another reason I don't think they will do that. Recasting the supporting cast I mean
Its a slippery slope, I think DD's are perfect and Punisher could easily go without any of his, Jessica Jones though... while I liked Trish, she's alot of weight and there's quite alot that could of been handled better with her, but she's the only one that I would even care about or not coming back from her supporting cast (since purpleman is dead)

It just sucks that they don't seem favorable to Cage. And if you bring cage back, might as well bring Danny.

I think the possible recast of Luke Cage was more because of his schedule and new obligations because of his new show. Luke Cage did fairly well as far as viewership. I vaguely remember the critics liking most of it until the end of season 1, and then seasons 2 was a little worse, but not awful. But Mike did a great job as Luke Cage, and I'm sure he'd be back if it wasn't for his newer commitments. Possibly a contract thing, but may just be more of a time and scheduling thing. After Netflix cancelled the show Mike even posted something on his Instagram on Twitter or some dumb social media outlet that said even though the show is over that wasn't the last you'll see of Luke Cage, or something to that effect. Basically alluding to something else being in the pipeline with him reprising the role. The thought online was maybe an Iron Fist/Luke Cage duo series. But that never came about.

Finn Jones didn't do bad as Iron Fist. But the writing wasn't the best. So he had to work with what was put in front of him. I personally enjoyed Colleen alot in that show. She was the highlight imo. And Misty wasn't terrible throughout all the series. I enjoyed her as well. But I can see why they would recast both of them.

But Punisher was fantastic. Daredevil was fantastic. And most of Jessica Jones was pretty up there. There were a few parts that were meh but as a whole I enjoyed it. So it makes sense as to why all of those actors would come back. And Kingpin. That was just phenomenal. I lived the entire arc. Just watching him progress and change. It was probably my favorite part honestly. And then Rosario Dawson. But that's just cause I'm in love with her.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Daredevil was my favorite because it was geared toward an older audience in addition to being very well done. If DD goes to D+/MCU, it will have to tone down the grittiness. Not to mention add more groan worthy quips (my least favorite part if the MCU formula). So then you end up with Netflix DD Lite. I'm not sure I want that.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marve ... #gs.02nml0

"Something that does lend some weight to the argument that the projects overseen by Jeph Loeb aren't canon is the fact that on non-U.S. versions of Disney+, ABC shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, Runaways, and more have now been moved to a new "Marvel Legacy Movies and Series" collection.

That's also the home of non-MCU properties like Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four movies, so common sense says that Marvel Studios does not consider those shows to be "official" parts of this shared world. That's really not overly surprising when Kevin Feige wasn't creatively involved. After all, why would he allow himself to be handcuffed by a cancelled TV series should he want to use something like the Darkhold or characters like Quake and Ghost Rider? "
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Sloth15 wrote:
Daredevil was my favorite because it was geared toward an older audience in addition to being very well done. If DD goes to D+/MCU, it will have to tone down the grittiness. Not to mention add more groan worthy quips (my least favorite part if the MCU formula). So then you end up with Netflix DD Lite. I'm not sure I want that.
Bingo. Exactly my feelings.
K_Steel
Runs Around in Tights

Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm

sepster wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marve ... #gs.02nml0

"Something that does lend some weight to the argument that the projects overseen by Jeph Loeb aren't canon is the fact that on non-U.S. versions of Disney+, ABC shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, Runaways, and more have now been moved to a new "Marvel Legacy Movies and Series" collection.

That's also the home of non-MCU properties like Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four movies, so common sense says that Marvel Studios does not consider those shows to be "official" parts of this shared world. That's really not overly surprising when Kevin Feige wasn't creatively involved. After all, why would he allow himself to be handcuffed by a cancelled TV series should he want to use something like the Darkhold or characters like Quake and Ghost Rider? "

Well damn, I was likely right then with the SW Legends comparison.

"Star Wars Legends" = Star Wars' Beta Canon

"Marvel Legacy" = Marvel's Beta Canon

* It's worth noting that even though "Agent Carter" is not MCU canon... they used the same Jarvis actor (James D'Arcy) in the Endgame 1970s scene.

Another sign that they could potentially keep some of the Loeb actors (like Cox, Bernthal, etc) as new official versions in the MCU.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Thu May 06, 2021 2:47 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Finn Jones didn't do bad as Iron Fist. But the writing wasn't the best. So he had to work with what was put in front of him. I personally enjoyed Colleen alot in that show. She was the highlight imo. And Misty wasn't terrible throughout all the series. I enjoyed her as well. But I can see why they would recast both of them.
In total agreement with you on Finn Jones. It wasn't the actor that was the problem with Iron Fist. The character was written to be naive and suffering from PTSD. Not exactly how a lot of comic fans envision Danny. I'm also a big fan of Misty Knight's actress and I'd like her brought back as well.
Trunks3540 wrote:
But Punisher was fantastic.
Here's where we disagree. John Bernthal's performance was great but he wasn't the Punisher for most of the series. In my eyes, Frank Castle's humanity died when his family was killed. Bernthal's character still hung onto his humanity. He was downright likeable. He laughed, bonded with people, felt the need for love. It wasn't until the last few minutes of season 2 did he really become the Punisher in my opinion. Narrative wise I get why the show doesn't want to portray Frank as an emotionless killing machine but that's essentially what the Punisher is.

In any case, I'm for most of the Netflix characters coming back (mainly because I don't want to buy replacement figures for them :lol: )
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

I think the possible recast of Luke Cage was more because of his schedule and new obligations because of his new show. Luke Cage did fairly well as far as viewership. I vaguely remember the critics liking most of it until the end of season 1, and then seasons 2 was a little worse, but not awful. But Mike did a great job as Luke Cage, and I'm sure he'd be back if it wasn't for his newer commitments. Possibly a contract thing, but may just be more of a time and scheduling thing. After Netflix cancelled the show Mike even posted something on his Instagram on Twitter or some dumb social media outlet that said even though the show is over that wasn't the last you'll see of Luke Cage, or something to that effect. Basically alluding to something else being in the pipeline with him reprising the role. The thought online was maybe an Iron Fist/Luke Cage duo series. But that never came about.

But Punisher was fantastic. Daredevil was fantastic. And most of Jessica Jones was pretty up there. There were a few parts that were meh but as a whole I enjoyed it. So it makes sense as to why all of those actors would come back. And Kingpin. That was just phenomenal. I lived the entire arc. Just watching him progress and change. It was probably my favorite part honestly. And then Rosario Dawson. But that's just cause I'm in love with her.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
considering we arn't anywhere likely near getting a luke cage movie or Disney + appearance yet, i don't think his TV show scheduling (or misty's) is the current issue. i'd agree if something was coming soon, but i think it's pretty obvious they'd do a DD film or series first. Right now DD/JJ/KP are just rumored for small cameo's... which is pretty easy to work around a TV schedule.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Sloth15 wrote:
i don't mind the humor, but i thought Disney+ handled the increase grit well on falcon and the winter soldier. I felt they showed you can do a lot and really push that PG-13 rating

I think Moonknight will be the true testament though.. because he's typically as gritty if not grittier than Daredevil. I dont need F*bombs and gallons of blood to make a show better, but i'm very interested to see what they do

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”