ML Part Swaps

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Part Swaps

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm

september_death wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 pm
I get “robot parts”, but I think Gung Ho works as is. He could use some cybernetic details on his arms, but the skin arms are more accurate. If anyone could use robot parts, it’s Skullbuster. He’d be more of an overhaul though
For sure; if you want the Reavers to be more or less panel-accurate, you just need to add some wiring to the helmets and some techno-details to their arms, etc. That said, they weren't really drawn that consistently, so I'm mostly interested in them being cool looking cyborg mercs, even if it's not particularly "accurate." Given that they joined the Reavers because Wolverine carved them up, I figure having them more obviously cyborg is okay. I just need to find a "happier" face for Pretty Boy and to work on Cole, now. Might try to track down a Dirk Anger head for Pretty Boy.

SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm

Has anyone tried removing the vest from Classified Roadblock? I think that might make a decent Cole figure. I just don't know if it's painted or molded plastic under.
Samael13

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm

SYNNER wrote:
Has anyone tried removing the vest from Classified Roadblock? I think that might make a decent Cole figure. I just don't know if it's painted or molded plastic under.
He's who I plan to use; I just need to figure out the head and find a different vest for him.
You can see under the vest here: https://thefwoosh.com/2020/05/hasbro-g- ... uick-pics/

The chest is the same color as the rest of him, but it's a different type of plastic, so the sheen is a little different.
SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm

Samael13 wrote:
SYNNER wrote:
He's who I plan to use; I just need to figure out the head and find a different vest for him.
You can see under the vest here: https://thefwoosh.com/2020/05/hasbro-g- ... uick-pics/

The chest is the same color as the rest of him, but it's a different type of plastic, so the sheen is a little different.
Thanks, Samael! I see what you mean with the sheen to the plastic.

I was trying to get free shipping with an online order, so I went ahead and picked up a 2nd Roadblock for the custom. I am currently debating whether to try and sculpt the headgear over him and just go with a lazy custom. The artwork from those X-books is kinda generic anyway. Macon, Cole and Reese all kinda look alike in those old issues and really don't have much in the way of personal flair. I'm going to give these a shot and see what I can come up with. Now that we're getting Bonebreaker, I just want more of a Reaver presence in my main display.

As far as the vest goes, I may just try to get the look accomplished with a steady hand and an xacto knife. There are lines built into that vest design that be used to establish a new open edge to it. We will see how it goes.
Gladiator
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:55 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm
september_death wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 pm
I get “robot parts”, but I think Gung Ho works as is. He could use some cybernetic details on his arms, but the skin arms are more accurate. If anyone could use robot parts, it’s Skullbuster. He’d be more of an overhaul though
For sure; if you want the Reavers to be more or less panel-accurate, you just need to add some wiring to the helmets and some techno-details to their arms, etc. That said, they weren't really drawn that consistently, so I'm mostly interested in them being cool looking cyborg mercs, even if it's not particularly "accurate." Given that they joined the Reavers because Wolverine carved them up, I figure having them more obviously cyborg is okay. I just need to find a "happier" face for Pretty Boy and to work on Cole, now. Might try to track down a Dirk Anger head for Pretty Boy.

What’s that kitbash recipe for Prettyboy? You just using twist ties for wiring or actual wires?
Samael13

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:18 pm

Gladiator wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:55 pm
What’s that kitbash recipe for Prettyboy? You just using twist ties for wiring or actual wires?
I grabbed Black Series Zero and just popped off his head and harness and tossed Winter Soldier's head on there with a little bit of blue tack (WS's socket is significantly bigger than the ball on Zero's neck joint). Works well enough for now, although Zero is on the shorter side. I have a Black Series K-2S0 kicking around, but he's too tall. Ideally, I'd prefer something mid-way between them, but I'm pretty happy with Zero as a stand-in for Pretty Boy. I had a 6" Terminator figure that I was going to use, but the articulation on it was pretty minimal, and I ended up scrapping that idea.
Samael13

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:32 pm

SYNNER wrote:

I was trying to get free shipping with an online order, so I went ahead and picked up a 2nd Roadblock for the custom. I am currently debating whether to try and sculpt the headgear over him and just go with a lazy custom. The artwork from those X-books is kinda generic anyway. Macon, Cole and Reese all kinda look alike in those old issues and really don't have much in the way of personal flair. I'm going to give these a shot and see what I can come up with. Now that we're getting Bonebreaker, I just want more of a Reaver presence in my main display.

As far as the vest goes, I may just try to get the look accomplished with a steady hand and an xacto knife. There are lines built into that vest design that be used to establish a new open edge to it. We will see how it goes.
I'd be interested to see what you come up with; I'm awful at painting, so I was thinking of frankensteining Roadblock's head with one of the Macon/Reese heads to get Cole. Probably easier ways to do it, but I can't state enough how bad I am at painting.
Gladiator
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Those new GIJOE Bat arms might make some Reavers a bit more fun!
TonyStark517
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Speaking of Joe BATs, I've been messing around with mine that came in while checking out my Action Force Swarm Trooper, and decided to try a couple head swaps to add to the A.I.M. ranks.
ImageImage

Thinking of snagging a few extra and painting the chest plates yellow. Provided I can find any extras of course.

Finally found a use for those two-pack heads I've had in a bin at least!
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:30 pm

SYNNER wrote:
Samael13 wrote:
SYNNER wrote:

I’m half tempted to get a third Gung Ho for Cole. I have the redeco Roadblock for him. Off the bat, the colors were toned down from the initial Classified wave, but I’d rather have the vests match. I guess the legs could be swapped so those all match too…idk.

Samael13

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:44 pm

september_death wrote:
I’m half tempted to get a third Gung Ho for Cole. I have the redeco Roadblock for him. Off the bat, the colors were toned down from the initial Classified wave, but I’d rather have the vests match. I guess the legs could be swapped so those all match too…idk.

That's the version I picked up; I haven't cut the vest off him yet, though, to see whether his chest has the same sheen difference as the original.
Mooselander
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:32 pm
SYNNER wrote:

I'd be interested to see what you come up with; I'm awful at painting, so I was thinking of frankensteining Roadblock's head with one of the Macon/Reese heads to get Cole. Probably easier ways to do it, but I can't state enough how bad I am at painting.
Some people have used the Deluxe War Marchine Rhodes head for use as Cole, seems like it is worth a look.
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 pm

This is probably old news to the customizer crowd but, I'd just like to offer a reminder that when encountering difficulty completing a given Build-A-Figure, often times there is a part-swap solution.
For example, when I had trouble completing the Rhino BAF because of that pesky right arm, I substituted the easily-obtainable right arm from the CA Civil War wave Abomination BAF along with what I think was a reversed shoulder ball from the left arm part from Rhino?

And just the other day I became fed up with trying to trade or purchase the last two (expensive) parts I need to complete the Super Skrull BAF so I swapped-in the right leg from the most recent Bishop figure (Hyperion buck). After a little purple paint matching, he is finally able to stand on two legs for the first time!
I still need to track down those pricy left arms or, of course, find suitable substitute parts but, my Super Skrull is now looking closer than ever to completion.

Also, I took the 2nd head from the Super Skrull, popped it on that Paladin figure, and gave him Bishop's laser rifle --effectively making a rather slick-looking Skrull/Merc type mf to infiltrate the shelves in my display cases.
SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:05 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:44 pm
september_death wrote:

That's the version I picked up; I haven't cut the vest off him yet, though, to see whether his chest has the same sheen difference as the original.
This is what I got when I took a crack at saving the vest yesterday.

I ended up saving the belt too. The 90's had tons of belts, so I think that it works. I'm just going to do some minor painting to the vest and work on sculpting something over the face and drop him into my display.
SYNNER
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 am

Okay, so not exactly a part swap, but I wanted to give you all and update. I did a little bit of sculpting and some paint was needed too. I might try to add a visor, but it was a lot of fun. I even had an idea for a follow-up project.

Anyway, here's Wade Cole.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”

Recent Topics