Closing out the Age of Apocalypse

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Closing out the Age of Apocalypse

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:Not sure if Cates did the art on the AoA packaging, but he's primarily known as a writer. He did a pretty big Venom series and he's currently writing Thor.
Ah okay gotcha. Well then there must be something else at work? Maybe we’re going to get a Knull figure in the near future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:47 am

David Nakayama did the package art for the AOA line.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:01 am

Nakayama is such a great artist.

Got my first figure from this wave today, Magneto, with Rogue and Iceman coming from DS tomorrow. It really has been a fantastic eighteen months or so for Magneto, hasn't it? We're one sleeveless black costume from his solo series away from having pretty much every iteration I want for him. The AoA figure is just solid. Feels like they improved cape stability nicely this time around.
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:10 pm

They did a great job with this wave, extra Morph heads aside. Wave 3 gotz to be a lock!
Rolo
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 pm

I have mixed feelings about this wave, ( I have the first one complete btw) I LOVE half of the figures ,Iceman is the BEST one of the wave IMO ,perfect execution. Same with Legion. Sabretooth is awesome ,but they keep making the Big characters with those massive heads, they look like they belong to another líne and a different scale. Other than that looks perfect. Magneto is exactly the opposite , they went too far making the head more proportionate to the body, and now he has a pinhead.
Shadowcat looks ok, something got Lost in the paint department. Rogue looks fine, but the head sits a bit too high on her neck.
But cyclops, oh god wth is that hairlane? And they keep using that plain lower body with them baby feet? xD looks awful
The baf looks solid, but I can stop seeing an apocalypse head reesculpted. If only he had an alt more calmed head.

So I dont know if ill get them, some are tempting me.

long_road
Wants to tell you a story

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am

This wave has sorta sucked me back into MLs. I had tapered off and was only focusing on new characters or "main continuity" x-men chars. I passed on the first AoA wave. A couple weeks ago I randomly saw a full set of these at Wal-mart one morning and grabbed Sabes on a whim. As soon as I got home and opened him, I immediately regretted not buying the full set. Naturally, by the time I went back to that Wally they only had a couple left. Anyways, I've spent the last couple weeks hunting down everyone from the first wave and the others from the second wave. I have the full Sugarman set done and am only a Shadowcat away from finishing wave 2. My love for these toys inspired me to go back and re-read the old AoA comic (which I haven't read since I was like 14...). Anyways, these these AoA figs went from an "easy pass" when I first saw them to now becoming some of my favorite ML figures in years. I'm definitely looking forward to a wave 3 if they make one. We need chars like Sinister, Bishop, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Mystique, Quicksilver, etc. to round out the display.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pm

One of my favorite reviewers has always been XManny87 because he does two things most reviewers aside from DAmazing never do--he shows third-party accessories that work well with many figures, plus he shows posing possibilities that most reviewers don't. In his review for Sabertooth he showed a REALLY great posing tip for mounting WIld Child on Sabertooth's shoulder. You can hook Wild Child's toe that is separate from the rest of the foot up under Sabertooth's belt, and then hook Wild Child's arm up under Sabertooth's pony tail to get Wild Child in a pose mounted on Creed's shoulder that stays put very well. He demonstrates it at the link below:

https://youtu.be/qyiHs6mHheM?t=534
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 pm

long_road wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am
This wave has sorta sucked me back into MLs. I had tapered off and was only focusing on new characters or "main continuity" x-men chars. I passed on the first AoA wave. A couple weeks ago I randomly saw a full set of these at Wal-mart one morning and grabbed Sabes on a whim. As soon as I got home and opened him, I immediately regretted not buying the full set. Naturally, by the time I went back to that Wally they only had a couple left. Anyways, I've spent the last couple weeks hunting down everyone from the first wave and the others from the second wave. I have the full Sugarman set done and am only a Shadowcat away from finishing wave 2. My love for these toys inspired me to go back and re-read the old AoA comic (which I haven't read since I was like 14...). Anyways, these these AoA figs went from an "easy pass" when I first saw them to now becoming some of my favorite ML figures in years. I'm definitely looking forward to a wave 3 if they make one. We need chars like Sinister, Bishop, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Mystique, Quicksilver, etc. to round out the display.

It's a great wave. I've never thought about ranking waves, but maybe we should do a thread on it because I've been wondering where this one ranks with all of the others. I'm not a huge AoA fan, but the design on the figures in this wave is just so, so good aside from Cyclops.
wetwithwaterwings
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:54 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pm
One of my favorite reviewers has always been XManny87 because he does two things most reviewers aside from DAmazing never do--he shows third-party accessories that work well with many figures, plus he shows posing possibilities that most reviewers don't. In his review for Sabertooth he showed a REALLY great posing tip for mounting WIld Child on Sabertooth's shoulder. You can hook Wild Child's toe that is separate from the rest of the foot up under Sabertooth's belt, and then hook Wild Child's arm up under Sabertooth's pony tail to get Wild Child in a pose mounted on Creed's shoulder that stays put very well. He demonstrates it at the link below:

https://youtu.be/qyiHs6mHheM?t=534
Awesome tip. Thanks for sharing.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:23 pm

Found what I thought to be a complete set of the newest AoA wave at walmart….but after stacking them up, I realized Iceman was missing.

Cherry pickers! *shakes fist* Lol
CaptainRon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:30 pm

Does anyone have a photo of Colossus' arms with his gauntlet removed? Is it a complete sculpt under there?
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Getting this wave one at a time and just got Sabretooth - very impressive figure. I can't tell how much is new and how much isn't but he's just a big bruiser, great head sculpts, with a movable ponytail... simple, solid, fun to mess with.
gyrapados
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Got Sabretooth and Shadowcat so far as they were the two I wanted most. But after seeing them in person I plan to get the rest.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 pm

I really don’t like the eyes on Sabretooth, definitely want to remove the pupils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:05 am

kailryu wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 pm
I really don’t like the eyes on Sabretooth, definitely want to remove the pupils
I'm of the same mindset. Likewise not into his cat-that-ate-the-canary "smile." Would have preferred a screaming head a la his showdown cover w/ Holocaust, or just a straight stoic one. Plus I think he had either blue or green eyes in the books, though I could be wrong.

Also for anyone unhappy with AOA Cyclops, each of these two reviewers shows a few things you can do to make him look a little more authentic to the ToyBiz / comic version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MriczTFm_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oArxfGL1qA

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”