What's next for ML in 2020-2021

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

Hbhf wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 am
cmoney wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

I don't think the new Eternals series is a different universe/timeline. The Eternals all died in the first arc of Jason Aaron's Avengers, and now they've been resurrected, some in different bodies.
Yeah definitely not another universe. Sersi was at the Hellfire Gala in the x-books.
greensborohill wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Inhumans are black listed from what? Movies? Retail products? I find that to be the biggest LOL, given they tried to screw the X-Men and force feed us Inhumans for about three years straight and it was so soundly rejected that it seems they had to shelve the Inhumans for an extended period of time!
There does not seem to be any sort of actual corporate mandate to not use the Inhumans like there was with the X-Men, but the company as a whole seems to have backed off them. They've been largely MIA since the Death of the Inhumans mini-series (which didn't actually kill them), seemingly due to the failure of the TV show and the backlash to them in the comics. I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.
They only released 3 inhumans ever despite the online mob (not simply a backlash) saying they were making too much merchandise of them, mind you this is at the time the X-Men had the Toys R Us wave, SDCC Magik, the Juggernaut BAF wave and Emma Frost. The Scarlet Witch was very hated, but she's an MCU character, so that helped her popularity especially the show. The Hasbro people packed her as an X-Men villain as opposed to an Avengers hero for her last comic figure though.

It doesn't really have to do with interest. They released a second Hercules figure for no reason and there are lots of figures that people have wanted for years that never get made.

If Marvel mandated the Inhumans Marvel Legends, we would have gotten a (comic) wave instead of the worst cheap repaint of Medusa and Black Bolt. But they don't except for the MCU. The Eternals got new sculpts and they released 10 figures from a movie that no one saw.

Maybe this will help the people who don't understand why they made new sculpts for a multimillion dollar movie with the cast of Game of Thrones and Oscar winners?
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 pm

So I missed all the vision/scarlet witch talk a page or 2 ago. If vision is in this wave I hope it's the young avengers version... I've wanted that one for so damn long.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm

To be fair to Hasbro, Medusa and Black Bolt peg warmed hard. So I can see them being less than enthusiastic about Inhumans offerings. I don't think it has to do with a "blacklist" of them. But given they are not getting the push anymore by Marvel, I can see Hasbro being more than happy to take this opportunity to not do them lol
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:54 pm

Rob W wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 am
JPC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:38 am
Hbhf wrote:
I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.
Perceived? Allow me to introduce Medusa in the aisles of Walgreens where she lives up to her name - you can never find only one!

I kid. :) I have a Black Bolt to go with my Medusa but the only other Inhuman I care about is Crystal, because I want to put her with my Avengers. So I guess it really is a lack of interest.

BTW - I never watched the Inhumans show - I don't think I ever even watched a trailer. But I'm still impressed by Serinda Swan allowing them to hack off her hair. So many actresses won't even change their hair for roles anymore despite 4k Ultra HD that makes a wig immediately apparent, so she and Karen Gillan - massive bravery points. :)
Brave maybe, but a real death knell for the show. The whole series felt like the result of a budget planning meeting that went badly wrong. When your solutions to "living hair lady/fish mutant/goat legged monster" are "cut it all off in ep1/kill him off in ep 1/stick boots on him in ep 2 so he looks entirely normal", then it gives a fairly clear indication of your priorities...
I dont think that meeting went wrong at all. Scott Buck also nerfed Iron Fist by having his Chi corrupted for many episodes, thus unable to use his power. I mean, legit like almost every main character lost their powers one way or another:

Black Bolt - Cannot use it because of dire consequences (though that is character accurate)

Medusa - cut hair off with regular hair clippers

Karnak - concussion from a fall

Gorgon - just started having him wear regular boots to hide the goat legs

Triton- believed dead 90% of the series

Crystal - I guess she could use them anytime, but just had no desire to do so

Lockjaw - stick him in a barn the entire 2nd half of show.

It is astounding and kind of hilarious how out of their way to do away with powers this show went.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:07 pm

Hbhf wrote:
cmoney wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

I don't think the new Eternals series is a different universe/timeline. The Eternals all died in the first arc of Jason Aaron's Avengers, and now they've been resurrected, some in different bodies.
Yeah definitely not another universe. Sersi was at the Hellfire Gala in the x-books.
greensborohill wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Inhumans are black listed from what? Movies? Retail products? I find that to be the biggest LOL, given they tried to screw the X-Men and force feed us Inhumans for about three years straight and it was so soundly rejected that it seems they had to shelve the Inhumans for an extended period of time!
There does not seem to be any sort of actual corporate mandate to not use the Inhumans like there was with the X-Men, but the company as a whole seems to have backed off them. They've been largely MIA since the Death of the Inhumans mini-series (which didn't actually kill them), seemingly due to the failure of the TV show and the backlash to them in the comics. I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.

I know the Inhumans have a dedicated fanbase, including several here at the Fwoosh, but I have to say, they may be the most overrated Marvel property out there. For as much as they were once pushed as an "integral part of Marvel history"... Really? How? For the first twenty years of their existence they had a presence in Fantastic Four and Avengers-related titles, but outside of that they were a pretty minor presence in the greater Marvel Universe. Secret Wars? No. Kree/Skrull War? No. Acts of Vengeance? No. Inferno? No. Any of the Infinity Trilogy? No. Onslaught/Heroes Reborn/Heroes Return? No. So, prior to being pushed as a integral part of the Marvel Universe in the mid-2000s, they were pretty niche.

Don't get me wrong, I would still like to see more members make their way into Marvel Legends (Crystal, Karnak, Triton, and Lockjaw for sure) but let's not pretend they're something they're not.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm

War of Kings is an awesome storyline involving the Inhumans that showcases their place in the wider Marvel U. It took place during that time when DnA were doing amazing things with cosmic Marvel and is a fantastic story. Barring that, though, I just want them because they are an interesting piece of Marvel history with cool looks that will make cool toys. Classic looks are my preference, but I've held on to the modern Black Bolt and Medusa we got in the Thanos Imperative box set in case they decide to make the rest of the team in modern looks when they do finally get around to them!
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Heads up. I just got a shipping notification for Mobius. So it seems he is shipping now
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm

May be controversial - I dunno - I'd like every Wolverine release from now on to use the X-Force claws. I'm tired of the flimsy thin claws getting all mis-aligned.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:45 pm

I see Dan posted about it being Venom's big day a couple days ago when new movie premiered. I hope they announce a Carnage figure soon from the movie.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm
May be controversial - I dunno - I'd like every Wolverine release from now on to use the X-Force claws. I'm tired of the flimsy thin claws getting all mis-aligned.

Same. Doesn't have to be X-Force style as long as they're straight. I'm tired of having new figures released that I already have to put Can of Beams claws into because Hasbro keeps using those crooked-claw hand sculpts like they did with AoA Wolverine (his non-chopped-off hand) or the Amazon 5-pack. :evil:

The Fox Wolverine figures all have pretty straight claws as well.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:00 pm

They just gotta make em thicker.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm

Enforcer wrote:

That, or they have to seat them differently, particularly deeper. The Fox claws don't seem much thicker, but the peg location in the hand is engineered differently than the crooked hand molds.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:35 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm
Enforcer wrote:

That, or they have to seat them differently, particularly deeper. The Fox claws don't seem much thicker, but the peg location in the hand is engineered differently than the crooked hand molds.
Agreed - the hands may just need a new mold. It's consistently the same claws on the same hand across every release that skew to the side.
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:42 pm

e-rock wrote:
To be fair to Hasbro, Medusa and Black Bolt peg warmed hard. So I can see them being less than enthusiastic about Inhumans offerings. I don't think it has to do with a "blacklist" of them. But given they are not getting the push anymore by Marvel, I can see Hasbro being more than happy to take this opportunity to not do them lol
They were never pushed in Marvel Legends. Are you going to say two characters is a push?

The other commenter here saying they weren't a big part of anything has just ignored them, or has a bias, which is common in fandom with characters being like sports teams.

Anyway, outside of forums and twitter, they aren't as hates because most of the hate comes from online fear mongering, articles and people who've been regurgitating the same thing over and over again.

People thought Galactus wasn't going to be funded because the Fantastic Four aren't as popular as the X-Men's Sentinel. And here we are.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Bleuboia wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:42 pm
e-rock wrote:
They were never pushed in Marvel Legends. Are you going to say two characters is a push?

The other commenter here saying they weren't a big part of anything has just ignored them, or has a bias, which is common in fandom with characters being like sports teams.

Anyway, outside of forums and twitter, they aren't as hates because most of the hate comes from online fear mongering, articles and people who've been regurgitating the same thing over and over again.

People thought Galactus wasn't going to be funded because the Fantastic Four aren't as popular as the X-Men's Sentinel. And here we are.
The Inhumans got a heavy push in comics and on TV. Both on AoS and the ABC show which was going to be a movie. Sure, they never got pushed in the toy line. But part of that is likely because the pushes in said comics and other media didn't go how they wanted and the 2 figures they did make didn't sell. I can understand Hasbro not wanting to make an entire team of Inhumans that don't sell.

If Medusa wasn't a Walgreens Exclusive I could still go to a store and buy and if Black Bolt was a more indemand figure, we likely are having different conversations now.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”