What's next for ML in 2020-2021

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:12 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:42 pm
JPC wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:22 am
By dedicating four SKUs to Eternals - and of those four, only two are available everywhere - are they REALLY risking that much?

Yes, for one primary reason aside from fan demand for the characters--they're ALL new sculpts, so they're more expensive to make than the average Legends figure. Very surprising overall to put this much budget into characters they have about as much reason to believe won't sell as that they will sell.

I hadn't thought about the all-new sculpts when I hypothesized that Disney incented them to do this, but now it's much harder to see that not being the case. Maybe they waived most of their licensing fee on these figures as a way to help promote the movie.

I think it is much more likely that Hasbro decided it was best to find a way to make all ten plus the villain than Disney cutting ANY licensee a financial incentive to make the product they have already paid to make. Because that's what Hasbro does. To suggest otherwise is wild speculation on your part that you've completely made up and now can't see it not being true. :rolleyes:
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they pay the licensing fee upfront or annually. Hasbro can make zero Marvel figures a year or 1,500.
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:08 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Bleuboia wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:39 pm
In Hasbro's last round of interviews, they mentioned that Marvel/Disney doesn't like confusing the cinematic properties and comic properties. You may get comic Eternals, but it won't happen around the movie.
They do mix characters, but just not the newer ones like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, and now The Eternals. Black Panther looks identical to his comic version. They gave the Eternals a facelift to match their movie counterparts, so I can't even see us getting the original Eternals that the few fans they have want to see.

I could see them being exclusives so no one can see them in stores in person because that's where people would get confused. They're giving preference to movie versions because they most likely get a budget just for that and they don't have a huge comic fanbase. I don't think anyone would get confused with Sersi and Makkari now because they made them identical to the actresses in the comics now. The rest are copies of the movie too. They just don't wear those lame MCU costumes.
Isn’t Makkari a guy in the comics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're reading anything from before this year, it's been rebooted, so it's really not relevant. I think they claimed the changes weren't made to synergize with the movie, but come on. The Guardians of the Galaxy got completely rebooted. I assume they think people don't read the old sh*t.

Being reincarnated to a different body after millions of years or whatever of it not happening works. They should've left Sersi's color scheme alone in the comics. I did like her red/black costume when she was an Avenger.

I wonder what happened to Jon Snow's Black Knight figure. I still want a Sersi/Crystal/Black Knight three pack in their Avengers costumes. But the inhumans are black listed and Sersi's change probably means we won't see her old self or Crystal.
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:16 pm

So it sounds like I can file it under different universe/timeline. Works for me, I guess.

Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:02 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:
So it sounds like I can file it under different universe/timeline. Works for me, I guess.

It's not as big a reboot like how they've made the X-Men like the inhumans. But it's a different timeline, yeah.
greensborohill
Avengers Assemble

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Bleuboia wrote:
MagnusPrimal wrote:
Bleuboia wrote:
They do mix characters, but just not the newer ones like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, and now The Eternals. Black Panther looks identical to his comic version. They gave the Eternals a facelift to match their movie counterparts, so I can't even see us getting the original Eternals that the few fans they have want to see.

I could see them being exclusives so no one can see them in stores in person because that's where people would get confused. They're giving preference to movie versions because they most likely get a budget just for that and they don't have a huge comic fanbase. I don't think anyone would get confused with Sersi and Makkari now because they made them identical to the actresses in the comics now. The rest are copies of the movie too. They just don't wear those lame MCU costumes.

If you're reading anything from before this year, it's been rebooted, so it's really not relevant. I think they claimed the changes weren't made to synergize with the movie, but come on. The Guardians of the Galaxy got completely rebooted. I assume they think people don't read the old sh*t.

Being reincarnated to a different body after millions of years or whatever of it not happening works. They should've left Sersi's color scheme alone in the comics. I did like her red/black costume when she was an Avenger.

I wonder what happened to Jon Snow's Black Knight figure. I still want a Sersi/Crystal/Black Knight three pack in their Avengers costumes. But the inhumans are black listed and Sersi's change probably means we won't see her old self or Crystal.
Inhumans are black listed from what? Movies? Retail products? I find that to be the biggest LOL, given they tried to screw the X-Men and force feed us Inhumans for about three years straight and it was so soundly rejected that it seems they had to shelve the Inhumans for an extended period of time!
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm

greensborohill wrote:
Bleuboia wrote:
MagnusPrimal wrote:

Inhumans are black listed from what? Movies? Retail products? I find that to be the biggest LOL, given they tried to screw the X-Men and force feed us Inhumans for about three years straight and it was so soundly rejected that it seems they had to shelve the Inhumans for an extended period of time!
Well now the X-Men are inhumans copies, so the tables have turned.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:

I don't think the new Eternals series is a different universe/timeline. The Eternals all died in the first arc of Jason Aaron's Avengers, and now they've been resurrected, some in different bodies.
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 am

Eh, if Jason Aaron wrote it I’ll stick with my different universe/timeline scenario. Besides, with all the universal reboots/retcons/restarts it’s not the same characters I used to read about anyway.

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Having finally gotten the Infinity Saga Surtur, this size is perfect for me for any future comic Giant Man, Atlas, etc.
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 am

cmoney wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

I don't think the new Eternals series is a different universe/timeline. The Eternals all died in the first arc of Jason Aaron's Avengers, and now they've been resurrected, some in different bodies.
Yeah definitely not another universe. Sersi was at the Hellfire Gala in the x-books.
greensborohill wrote:

There does not seem to be any sort of actual corporate mandate to not use the Inhumans like there was with the X-Men, but the company as a whole seems to have backed off them. They've been largely MIA since the Death of the Inhumans mini-series (which didn't actually kill them), seemingly due to the failure of the TV show and the backlash to them in the comics. I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:18 am

Gretchen, stop trying to make "the Inhumans" happen. It's NOT going to happen.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:38 am

Hbhf wrote:
I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.
Perceived? Allow me to introduce Medusa in the aisles of Walgreens where she lives up to her name - you can never find only one!

I kid. :) I have a Black Bolt to go with my Medusa but the only other Inhuman I care about is Crystal, because I want to put her with my Avengers. So I guess it really is a lack of interest.

BTW - I never watched the Inhumans show - I don't think I ever even watched a trailer. But I'm still impressed by Serinda Swan allowing them to hack off her hair. So many actresses won't even change their hair for roles anymore despite 4k Ultra HD that makes a wig immediately apparent, so she and Karen Gillan - massive bravery points. :)
Nik
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 am

I couldn't get past the first episode of Inhumans, it hurt too much after years of reading the comics.

I read and enjoyed the Gaiman Eternals when it came out, but this new run is one of the first books in the stack I reach for. It doesn't seem to be a blueprint for the movie, which I was concerned it might be, but it is making me want some comic Eternals post haste. I'll take OG Kirby designs, JRJR designs, and Esad Ribic designs please and thank you.
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 am

JPC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:38 am
Hbhf wrote:
I would assume the lack of Inhumans in Marvel Legends is due to a perceived lack of interest rather than any sort of embargo.
Perceived? Allow me to introduce Medusa in the aisles of Walgreens where she lives up to her name - you can never find only one!

I kid. :) I have a Black Bolt to go with my Medusa but the only other Inhuman I care about is Crystal, because I want to put her with my Avengers. So I guess it really is a lack of interest.

BTW - I never watched the Inhumans show - I don't think I ever even watched a trailer. But I'm still impressed by Serinda Swan allowing them to hack off her hair. So many actresses won't even change their hair for roles anymore despite 4k Ultra HD that makes a wig immediately apparent, so she and Karen Gillan - massive bravery points. :)
Brave maybe, but a real death knell for the show. The whole series felt like the result of a budget planning meeting that went badly wrong. When your solutions to "living hair lady/fish mutant/goat legged monster" are "cut it all off in ep1/kill him off in ep 1/stick boots on him in ep 2 so he looks entirely normal", then it gives a fairly clear indication of your priorities...

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”