Official Toys on Sale Thread

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official Toys on Sale Thread

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pm

DanMan wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:45 pm
It was somewhere on these forums, I can't remember where exactly. Don't take it as gospel, but it was suggested that (like you wrote) a 25% discount was basically selling at cost. This means that Target and Walgreens sales are really just trying to drive foot traffic into stores in the hopes that people will buy other things.

Both Target and Walgreens usually run their sales for online purchases as well, and those aren't driving foot traffic. So I'm still skeptical their margin is as low as 25%...
TonyStark517
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm

kantboy2 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 am
Can anyone send me a link to the stuff on the Walmart sale? I went to the site and all I get is 3rd party sellers with silly prices.

Thanks.
This should be everything still available as part of the sale:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/action-f ... id:6177789

I scrolled through and I'm not seeing any 3rd Party sellers for anything in stock so hopefully this works for you.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:55 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
DanMan wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:45 pm
It was somewhere on these forums, I can't remember where exactly. Don't take it as gospel, but it was suggested that (like you wrote) a 25% discount was basically selling at cost. This means that Target and Walgreens sales are really just trying to drive foot traffic into stores in the hopes that people will buy other things.

Both Target and Walgreens usually run their sales for online purchases as well, and those aren't driving foot traffic. So I'm still skeptical their margin is as low as 25%...
If Target can sell Katy at $7, they’re still making money. I get sunk cost, but it’s cheap enough that it’s worth still marking down and not throwing out, and expensive enough they can’t sell it to someplace like Five Below.
rwsharpjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 pm

jakey-jake wrote:I’d be shocked if wholesale was over $10. I’d peg COGS including packing at $1-2 per fig, another $1-2 for overhead/design/logistics.
New cost is around $17

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm

When I worked at Target in the 90s as mid management the minimum I ever saw on a markup was 35% (and as high as 50% that I remember) working in electronics/toys dept. The markups really vary from item to item more than brand. I'm sure someone on here may have more recent experience, but at least that's a starting point.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Official Toys on Sale Thread

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:26 pm

One person posted here before when they talked to a Walmart manager about some ML figure, probably a swap but they still wanted it, and the manager marked it down to $5 for them citing that was the cost price in the system. But then if Walmart pays $5 per figure that would mean hasbro would have to produce them much cheaper than that. But then you account for the volume in which Walmart purchases which is an insanely huge amount and hasbro produces an insane amount…who knows.
jakey-jake
The Machine!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Maximoff wrote:
One person posted here before when they talked to a Walmart manager about some ML figure, probably a swap but they still wanted it, and the manager marked it down to $5 for them citing that was the cost price in the system. But then if Walmart pays $5 per figure that would mean hasbro would have to produce them much cheaper than that. But then you account for the volume in which Walmart purchases which is an insanely huge amount and hasbro produces an insane amount…who knows.
This sounds very realistic. Especially at WM which tends to negotiate lower wholesale prices than other/smaller retailers.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Maximoff wrote:
It goes deeper than that. Of course we’re paying for Hasbro’s manufacturing, labor and design costs, but we’re paying for materials too. Hasbro has to pay for the raw materials they use in the manufacturing process (paints, plastic, printing ink, etc) from those distributors and manufacturers. Hasbro, naturally passes the costs of these onto the consumers. It’s all figured into the product’s cost. So, Hasbro has to make profit, after they pay off all of the expenses.
rwsharpjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Former cost was $15.00/$15.25, now up to $17.00.

MLNUT
CROM!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Maximoff wrote:
One person posted here before when they talked to a Walmart manager about some ML figure, probably a swap but they still wanted it, and the manager marked it down to $5 for them citing that was the cost price in the system.
There's NO WAY Walmart's cost for ML's is $5. Closer to $15.
MLNUT
CROM!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:46 pm

MLNUT wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:45 pm
Maximoff wrote:
One person posted here before when they talked to a Walmart manager about some ML figure, probably a swap but they still wanted it, and the manager marked it down to $5 for them citing that was the cost price in the system.
There's NO WAY Walmart's cost for ML's is $5. Closer to $15. NEVER take anything a Walmart employee says as Gospel.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 pm

“None in the back”
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 pm

rwsharpjr wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:00 pm
My favorite article on their blog is

Pellentesque feugiat, sem id interdum molestie, libero nibh imperdiet velit, sodales elementum enim sem sed lectus. Vivamus viverra diam congue tristique pellentesque. Proin efficitur est vel lectus ultrices rhoncus eu ut lacus. In gravida leo at justo lobortis, vitae aliquet justo vehicula. Maecenas at facilisis ex. Curabitur cursus, ex id efficitur ultrices, sapien mauris sodales

Don’t read this aloud!!! It’s a resurrection spell for some sort of Ancient Anti God called YORMAMMAAAAHHHH!!!
Rish Outfield
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 pm

TonyStark517 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm
This should be everything still available as part of the sale:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/action-f ... id:6177789
Hey, thank you for posting that. There were a few figures on your list that I didn't see yesterday, so I went ahead and ordered again today. Some of these prices are really excellent.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:13 am

I thought cost to stores was 40% of MSRP. Hence why you rarely every see anything go for less than 50% off. They're still making that 10% above cost. Guess we've all heard different things.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”

Recent Topics