ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 pm

Roufuss wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:01 am
Oh, I’ve had Target cancel orders before it could get picked, sure. They even state they have a two hour window to get your item, and hot items will sell out before an employee goes and grabs it.

But once it’s actually picked, and I’ve had confirmation to come to the store to get it, they have never then cancelled that order for me unless I didn’t go get it in seven days.

I’ve left all sorts of stuff there for multiple days — GI Joe (Cobra Island), Legends, He-Man, Star Wars, once it’s confirmed for pickup they have never cancelled it after that. Sometimes I’ll do in an instore pickup at a store like 25 or 30 miles out and can’t get down there until the weekend.

The best time in my experience is doing it in the middle of the night when it goes up, as some stores pick all the items before the store opens. It’s how I got a ton of CI Cobra Troopers a few years back.
Yeah, if you get the email that you're order is ready then you're fine. They're not going to sell it to someone else that walks in looking for it as they won't even know it's there anyway. And the after hours thing definitely helps. That's the only way I was able to get a TMNT Party Wagon from Walmart. It came in-stock on Thanksgiving and I was able to snag it for pickup and the order was prepared by the overnight crew before the store opened. I had tried getting that item multiple times the same way and the order was always cancelled because an associate wasn't able to get to it fast enough. I'm pretty sure most of these big box stores wait until they get "X" amount of pickup orders before sending someone out with a cart to fulfill them so it's always a crap shoot on when an employee will actually prepare the order.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Only one I've successfully secured is Hammerhead, which should be delivered home. I HAD a Shocker ordered yesterday for pick up today, but it got canceled at the first store, then got canceled at the alternate store. So I'll just keep waiting. I've been too slow to grab them when the notifications pop up, so far only for Hobgoblin and maybe one of the other Spiders.
Jacguitarist
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info, guys! Was able to snag Shocker.

I actually got Hammerhead last week off of CMD Store...and man, I absolutely LOVE this figure. I haven't gotten Happy yet, so this was my first exposure to the new bigger suit buck, and it's great. The brass knuckles are a very nice touch too. The best part is the head sculpt though...so much detail packed in, and the face print apps look fantastic. Luckily he gets a TON of range at the head/neck, so he can easily pull off a 'charging towards you with head down' pose.

I don't have any others yet, and beyond Shocker, I'm likely only gonna get the Armored and Black suit Spideys, but I'm pretty confident he will still be my favorite from the line. Hammerhead was so overdue, and the Chameleon version just wasn't cutting it.

That said, an actual definitive Shocker was too!
Littlemidget312
CROM!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

The other day I saw 6 Hobgoblins in a target with 1 Shocker. One armored Spidey at another store along with Sleepwalker. Then able to grab Hammerhead on the app. (Most excited for him)
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 pm

Only really tempted by Shocker and Hammerhead so I ordered the former off Target's site since I have none around me. Really love Shocker as a villain and even though I collect primarily MCU versions of characters, I don't see us getting an ML of that movie suit they cut from Homecoming anytime soon.

I did have the previous ML Shocker and he was fine, but this hits way more buttons. Better sculpt, better expression in the eyes, open hand options, pinless, really looking forward to him.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 pm

I've reached a personal decision I'd like to share regarding this wave:

One of the reviews for the Shocker reminded me that his costume is quilted and the lines are drawn to illustrate this in comics - and were painted on the Superior Foes version because the sculpted detail was missing. As such, I don't believe I will need to draw in the lines as I have with the web lines on a bunch of MCU Spider-Men. This decision is not final, but at this point I feel very confident in this direction.

I hope GameStop gets my set soon. I'm getting the FOMO.
nilocomic
Customized

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 pm
I've reached a personal decision I'd like to share regarding this wave:

One of the reviews for the Shocker reminded me that his costume is quilted and the lines are drawn to illustrate this in comics - and were painted on the Superior Foes version because the sculpted detail was missing. As such, I don't believe I will need to draw in the lines as I have with the web lines on a bunch of MCU Spider-Men. This decision is not final, but at this point I feel very confident in this direction.

I hope GameStop gets my set soon. I'm getting the FOMO.
You make a good point there. Hopefully I’ll like it well enough to not feel the need to fill in the lines.
RAM
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 pm

This retro Shocker still looks hella better with the lines filled in imo. No regrets here.
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 am

Annnnnnd, the Ben Reilly I was able to secure through the Target app is now backordered :(
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:39 am

Shocker is my most wanted from this wave. He’s always been one of my favorite Spidey villains. Absolutely loved his old 5” figure back in the day—it came with blast effects!

I ordered an extra Shocker from Target. I still have the full wave preordered with Dorkside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:49 am

Chased Ben popping up on the Target app all morning and kinda think I'm being silly and should just give up and let my preorder show up in two and a half months instead. I got pretty good about not getting FOMO in 2021, but apparently it's been a long gloomy winter so far and I am chasing that plastic dopamine boost in a bad way already this year. At least with Pulse they get them last but they're the one place that never canceled on me before, so I'm metaphorically berating myself to just CTFD.

I think I'm just being ridiculous because Ben's Spidey look was my first Legends figure so I'm over the top psyched to get an update, and I've loved the symbiote Spidey since the old Secret Wars action figures and can't resist the beefier version here. I keep seeing the villains available online but want to hold off because two figures at Target nets you that sweet free shipping, y'know?
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 am

I tried to get Ben this morning from the Target app but while he showed instock, I couldn't actually add him. Not sure why Shocker is so available, it's not like people aren't getting him. Did Target happen to order like 100 cases of this guy and no one else or something? it just doesn't make any sense.
JRoug
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:15 pm

I think because of the supply chain issues, Hasbro is having the factories pack solid cases instead of waiting till a whole assortment is manufactured to create a full case assortment. They need to get product to stores ASAP.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
I tried to get Ben this morning from the Target app but while he showed instock, I couldn't actually add him. Not sure why Shocker is so available, it's not like people aren't getting him. Did Target happen to order like 100 cases of this guy and no one else or something? it just doesn't make any sense.

FAR more people want Ben than Shocker. It's that simple.

The Ben Reilly Mafex insta-sold out and the retro Scarlet Spider is going for insane prices on eBay, so I knew demand for this Ben figure would be through the roof. Not as high as the demand for Symbiote Spidey, but far more than the other figures in the wave.

Everything Spidey is in super-high demand right now. I mean he's always in high demand, but I'm guessing the popularity of No Way Home has really amplified it.
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:55 pm

mattmurdog wrote:

I think it likely is that fewer people are buying him (and Hammerhead) than the Spider-Men. While the chatter on here would seem to indicate he's either this wave's #1 or #2 most-desired figure, I don't think fwoosh is terribly representative of collectors / casual action figure buyers at large.

Although Target's purchases might be more of a mystery to us, I think it's safe to assume the various online retailers generally have their fingers on the pulse of customer demand. And Symbiote Spidey has been sold-out pretty much everywhere online except EE since day one, more or less, whereas Shocker has remained readily available. It seems much more likely to me that Shocker's just not as popular as Symbiote, Ben, and Hobgoblin than it does that Target and every online retailer over-ordered him.

There's just no accounting for taste, really.

Silver Samurai is imo one of the best-executed Legends ever — just a beauty to behold, and I say that as someone with no particular affinity towards the X-Men area of the MU. But he could be found marked down to $15 and even $10(!) for many months, and even now, more than two years after his release, is still available on Amazon for his original $20 price.

On the other hand, Superior Venom was widely bemoaned on here when he was announced. “A modern, flash-in-the-pan symbiote costume that is way smaller than he was depicted in the comics? Who was asking for that?!” And yet he quickly became the hardest to find figure of his wave (a wave that included Chameleon and Hasbro's first Kraven, I might add).

So, yeah. No. Accounting. For taste.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”