ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:55 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 am
So tempted to pre-order these off Gamestop, how reliable are they with their pre-orders?

Funny you should mention that.

I pre-ordered a couple of 'Comedian Joker' figures on the GameStop site about a month and half ago. Then late last week they became listed as "in stock" on the site and ready for immediate shipping, but my pre-order still said "awaiting item availability". Then a fellow Fwoosher posted that he ordered that same figure from GameStop yesterday and it already shipped. I checked my pre-order and mine were still sitting unshipped and "awaiting availability". So I cancelled my PO and reordered them. Hopefully they will ship tomorrow.

So that's how reliable GameStop is with pre-orders. They apparently ignore them in favor of new orders.

Hope that answered your question.
User avatar
Nik
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:26 pm

Stark Resilient wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:23 pm
Nik wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 pm
I may re-evaluate if I even want to be a part of this forum if asking harmless questions with some humor garners a reprimand.
Image
Was this really necessary? Usually your posts are pretty cool and informative, I didn't expect you to be so callous.

Thanks to everyone else who understood, though. Your kind words are meaningful to me and I appreciate the sentiment behind them.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 9587
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:59 pm

Ninjak wrote:
mattmurdog wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 am
So tempted to pre-order these off Gamestop, how reliable are they with their pre-orders?

Funny you should mention that.

I pre-ordered a couple of 'Comedian Joker' figures on the GameStop site about a month and half ago. Then late last week they became listed as "in stock" on the site and ready for immediate shipping, but my pre-order still said "awaiting item availability". Then a fellow Fwoosher posted that he ordered that same figure from GameStop yesterday and it already shipped. I checked my pre-order and mine were still sitting unshipped and "awaiting availability". So I cancelled my PO and reordered them. Hopefully they will ship tomorrow.

So that's how reliable GameStop is with pre-orders. They apparently ignore them in favor of new orders.

Hope that answered your question.
This used to happen to me all the time back when I was ordering the Neca TMNT movie figures and the Jurassic Park Amber collection stuff from them. GameStop seems to have an overselling problem on their website for the most part. The worst part is that whenever they acknowledge that they oversold a special product, there never seems to be any reform or course correction after the fact. They just keep doing the same thing with all their products, all the time. Oversell a product -> Acknowledge that they can’t fulfill preorders -> Apologize for their reckless behavior -> Sabotage any efforts to keep this shoddy customer service from happening again -> Repeat -> Claim the store is a big success and then close a bunch of stores before the next quarterly meeting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:25 am

El Honez wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:07 am
I personally like to post only neutral observations of dubious value that are summarily and appropriately ignored.
How dare you?!
Outrageous.

Anyway, this wave's been moved up to December 16th on Hasbro Pulse UK (alongside most other pre-orders including stuff that was supposed to be way off like the 2 Caps, Winter Soldier, exclusive Doctor Strange, with the Skrull army builders on the 19th). Expensive!
Obviously these have been trickling out for you, but we're generally some way behind you; so I'd expect these everywhere for you imminently now.
User avatar
MayorMcThwipp
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:07 am

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:09 pm

Stark Resilient wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:23 pm
Nik wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 pm
I may re-evaluate if I even want to be a part of this forum if asking harmless questions with some humor garners a reprimand.
Image
This post reeks of forum clique nature.
User avatar
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6021
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm

MayorMcThwipp wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:09 pm
Stark Resilient wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:23 pm
Nik wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:11 pm
I may re-evaluate if I even want to be a part of this forum if asking harmless questions with some humor garners a reprimand.
Image
This post reeks of forum clique nature.
I really hate the performative act of announcing that you're thinking about leaving.
User avatar
Dorlando_calrissian
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 am

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 am

Starting to see in hand pics of these on Instagram
User avatar
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:12 am

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 am

Dorlando_calrissian wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 am
Starting to see in hand pics of these on Instagram
Seems like they are out in Asia, this guy has a review of the entire wave

https://www.youtube.com/c/xcorpeo
User avatar
VonDoom62
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 am

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 am
Dorlando_calrissian wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 am
Starting to see in hand pics of these on Instagram
Seems like they are out in Asia, this guy has a review of the entire wave

https://www.youtube.com/c/xcorpeo
I watched those reviews and they got me very excited. Shocker and Symbiote Spidey look like they'll be the highlights for me, but on the whole it looks like a great wave.

Well, a great wave except for Hobgoblin. I can't believe they didn't even modify the glider to give it flight stand support, that actually really dampened my excitement for it. Such a low effort figure compared to the rest of the wave and the previous Retro Green Goblin.
User avatar
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.
Posts: 5139
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:17 am

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:09 am

If they needed a low effort repaint with Animated Series ties, they should have made a Spot with cartoon and comic heads, complete with Time Dilation Accelerator.
User avatar
StuartGreen83
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:03 am

BILLIUM wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:09 am
If they needed a low effort repaint with Animated Series ties, they should have made a Spot with cartoon and comic heads, complete with Time Dilation Accelerator.
Spot would be a fun figure. A new Deluxe version of classic Rhino with a comic accurate head sculpt and alternate animated series head would be cool as well. I'd love to see "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" based figures that, unlike Hobgoblin, correctly resemble their animated counterparts. I've seen a lot of fans request Felicia Hardy, Mary Jane Watson, Scorpion, Alistair Smythe in his hoverchair, Mysterio, Doctor Octopus, Shocker, Chameleon, Morbius and the Green Goblin. Electro and the Fantastic Four would be cool too.

I'm curious if the 2022 60th anniversary Spider-Man figures will include first appearance/Ditko Spider-Man, a new six-armed Spider-Man with bare arms, the Amazing Bag-Man and any of the Slingers. Then again, I'd love to see some kind of classic figures for the Chameleon, Doctor Octopus (I'd still love a "Death of Captain Stacy" suit and glasses version and/or a white Armani suit version), the Lizard, the Rhino, Venom, and a Mark Bagley art-based Carnage next year too.
User avatar
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: No longer chasing the Dragon!
Posts: 3249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 am

Looking forward to seeing someone stick a wash or a panel line on Shocker, to bring out all that lovely sculpt.

Also, is anyone considering a repaint on Spidey Armor’s eyes - black rim and white or silver lenses would bring it more in line with the comic design.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 am

Hammerhead looks great in hand. Symbiote/black suit Spidey looks predictably good.
Rob W's suggestions would both make for a lot of improvement: a wash for Shocker would vastly improve the cheap effect of this one (personally I think some darkness, but not dark-dark- so like Mysterio's 'dirty' wash- would work best... I don't think he suits the overly contrasting and drastic 'panel-lining' I've seen). Otherwise he'd be perfect, so that's a real shame-
And the eyes of armoured Spidey would make up for the rest of the inaccuracies on this version, I think- though I can live with it as it is. (Still such a peculiar choice to go video game- feels like, if not a complete mistake and oversight with the source reference, this was intended for a separate wave as a game-specific figure). They're both mildly disappointing, though, because I'll never update or buy these again; so a shame my forever versions reflect badly on Hasbro.
Hobgoblin does look really underwhelming and disappointing, though. I'm fine with most people's main complaint: the face (I agree the eyes are too small and the brows are lacking, but I can live with it), but the glider's lacking, yeah- and worst of all I think the choice to exclude the scales was terrible and ill-advised. Looks way too basic and cheap. A real shame this one, because it really would have given so many people something they really, really wanted and under delivers so badly it feels like a slap. This is the "we've got the Hobgoblin at home", innit?
User avatar
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: No longer chasing the Dragon!
Posts: 3249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am

PSPS13 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:25 am
El Honez wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:07 am
I personally like to post only neutral observations of dubious value that are summarily and appropriately ignored.
How dare you?!
Outrageous.

Anyway, this wave's been moved up to December 16th on Hasbro Pulse UK (alongside most other pre-orders including stuff that was supposed to be way off like the 2 Caps, Winter Soldier, exclusive Doctor Strange, with the Skrull army builders on the 19th). Expensive!
Obviously these have been trickling out for you, but we're generally some way behind you; so I'd expect these everywhere for you imminently now.
Missed this before - that's exciting! Hopefully it means other UK sellers get their stock too, so Star can get my retro Spideys and Strange out before Christmas. I was assuming it'd be well into '22 for those.
User avatar
Raptor86
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Palermo, Italy
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:24 am

Rob W wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 am
Looking forward to seeing someone stick a wash or a panel line on Shocker, to bring out all that lovely sculpt.
He does that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kud4gR1F30k

Result is pretty good.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”