ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Mark_Bowen
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:36 pm

El Honez wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:58 pm
ImageUh... cool...
What I love about that figure is that you can pinpoint *exactly* where the budget ran out for him — one arm has a forearm swivel but the other doesn't. I'd be hard pressed to come up with too many other examples of that sort of asymmetrical articulation in the line!
doesitmatter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:44 pm

I just built Ursa Major and any time Hasbro wants to put a human face in his mouth and slap him on a retro card, I will buy him again as the Grizzly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_(comics)
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 pm

doesitmatter wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:44 pm
I just built Ursa Major and any time Hasbro wants to put a human face in his mouth and slap him on a retro card, I will buy him again as the Grizzly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_(comics)

+1
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Mark_Bowen wrote:
El Honez wrote:
ImageUh... cool...
What I love about that figure is that you can pinpoint *exactly* where the budget ran out for him — one arm has a forearm swivel but the other doesn't. I'd be hard pressed to come up with too many other examples of that sort of asymmetrical articulation in the line!
His ab definition also abruptly stops at his waist, so he's either wearing a chastity belt under his costume, or a big red plastic diaper on the outside. I don't know which is worse.
doesitmatter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:36 pm

El Honez wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Mark_Bowen wrote:
El Honez wrote:
ImageUh... cool...
His ab definition also abruptly stops at his waist, so he's either wearing a chastity belt under his costume, or a big red plastic diaper on the outside. I don't know which is worse.
His butt is turned around. But yeah, that body was built for a belt and got used on WAY too many figures that didn't use one.
Yarlick
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:17 pm

So I was actually looking at different Hobgoblins from Hasbro, and the last one for the Retro wave seems to be disappointing.

Also, coincidentally, I found back my Toy Biz Hobgoblin from 2006 and I still think it's holding up pretty well. I'm more than satisfied with it. I don't see Hasbro nailing it anytime soon.

And that face...that face is miles better than what they are offering us. Well I mean, it's only an opinion.

That's the one I'm talking about :

I'm hesitating between tracking down the Toy Biz Green Goblin or getting the Retro one. I can get the first one at a decent price, complete for less than 30€ but can't get the Retro Collection one near that price. What would you all choose?

I can't wait to get Sandman.
Also, Amazon charged me for the Black Suit Spidey and it seems to have been already shipped so I should receive it in the coming week. I'm quite surprised as I thought it wasn't supposed to be released before November.

On the Tarantula subject : I wonder why no one actually did a decent figure of it, it's one of those villains that needs to be made after so long. (And that would remind me of some of the Clone Saga Stories with Ben Reilly...)
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Yarlick wrote:So I was actually looking at different Hobgoblins from Hasbro, and the last one for the Retro wave seems to be disappointing.

Also, coincidentally, I found back my Toy Biz Hobgoblin from 2006 and I still think it's holding up pretty well. I'm more than satisfied with it. I don't see Hasbro nailing it anytime soon.

And that face...that face is miles better than what they are offering us. Well I mean, it's only an opinion.

That's the one I'm talking about :

I'm hesitating between tracking down the Toy Biz Green Goblin or getting the Retro one. I can get the first one at a decent price, complete for less than 30€ but can't get the Retro Collection one near that price. What would you all choose?

I can't wait to get Sandman.
Also, Amazon charged me for the Black Suit Spidey and it seems to have been already shipped so I should receive it in the coming week. I'm quite surprised as I thought it wasn't supposed to be released before November.

On the Tarantula subject : I wonder why no one actually did a decent figure of it, it's one of those villains that needs to be made after so long. (And that would remind me of some of the Clone Saga Stories with Ben Reilly...)
Your getting your retro wave already? Hmm. I wonder how this bodes for those of us who ordered from Dorkside and BBTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Toybiz GG is better than the Hasbro retro one. Better sculpt, more depth to the paint job, better glider. The only thing the Hasbro has is a little better balanced body.
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:55 pm

For Hobgoblin, I did the head swap that I've seen some others do. I also preserved the untattered cape.

It requires some dremeling to get it to fit on the Hasbro body, but the results look great. I just decided I couldn't abide the skinny body and ball-jointed hips of the TB version any longer.

For Green Goblin, I only kept the glider from the ToyBiz figure. I was more divided on that one. I would prefer the green to be somewhere between the darkness of the ToyBiz version, and the too-bright green of the Hasbro version. I also thought the Hasbro head looked a little too cartoony. Hasbro has the edge on size and scale, but the tattered boots and gloves are inaccurate.
Mark_Bowen
Customized

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 am

All this talk comparing new goblins to old has me thinking back to my childhood Toy Biz SMC Hobgoblin whose glider was ~3x larger than the current one's, despite being for a 5" figure. *wistful sigh*

As for Tarantula, I think it'd be neat if he came with a pair of alternate Freddy Krueger hands.
Yarlick
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 am

El Honez wrote: For Hobgoblin, I did the head swap that I've seen some others do. I also preserved the untattered cape.

It requires some dremeling to get it to fit on the Hasbro body, but the results look great. I just decided I couldn't abide the skinny body and ball-jointed hips of the TB version any longer.

For Green Goblin, I only kept the glider from the ToyBiz figure. I was more divided on that one. I would prefer the green to be somewhere between the darkness of the ToyBiz version, and the too-bright green of the Hasbro version. I also thought the Hasbro head looked a little too cartoony. Hasbro has the edge on size and scale, but the tattered boots and gloves are inaccurate.
This morning I watched (at 1 am) a video from VADtoys customizing his Green Goblin and I must say that the end result is great, but I don't know...there's something with the Toybiz head that is just...well, great.

Honestly, having to customize a normally 20-30 bucks figure isn't too much of a problem, but seeing how expensive the dude is now, I won't do it...Which, well, I think disqualify it for me. If I could find it at a retail price, then maybe I would consider getting it. But at the current time, the TB is just way cheaper for me and that headsculpt is just great to me.

About the Hobgoblin, why did we never got a Glider this big for him...Lazyness? Cost? I'm probably considering using the 5" glider for Hoby x)
VonDoom62
CROM!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 pm

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I like the Retro Green Goblin more than the ToyBiz one. I know the bright colors are divisive, but I love them. Really do. The big pupils aren't ideal, but I grew to tolerate and even like them. The interchangeable Norman Osborn head is also great and adds so much for the figure. The scale is better too. The TB one feels shrimpy and even for back then I'd say it was kinda undersized. I also like how the retro one doesn't have the pumpkin bomb glued in his hand. The glider the TB one comes with is better, UNLESS you have the glider stand that came with White Rabbit. That stand adds so much playability for Retro Gobby's glider that I started liking it more.

All that being said, for the prices Retro Gobby is going for now, I think you're better off going for the ToyBiz one. It's still a really great figure and will cost you a lot less.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm on the same page about Retro card Green Goblin, VonDoom62. The TB one was great, but the Hasbro one is also great. I don't display Toy Biz figures anymore, but I think the retro GG is a worthy successor that I don't feel is a downgrade in any way.
Valo487
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I guess I’m in the minority, but I only bought the retro Goblin for the Osborn head, I like the modern one they did previously much more than the Retro or Toybiz version.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:01 pm

I love the retro green goblin. It just needs some white eyes, smaller pupils, eyeliner and a better glider. But otherwise the classic Romita colors really make that figure pop and I love that it’s taller than the classic TB Green Goblin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”