ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:41 pm

panther10 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Enforcer wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am
I just hope that when the scarlet spider figure comes out, he’s on a retro version of the Overpower card back. They kind of fudged with the upcoming Ben Reilly spidey, and admittedly I am a little salty about this, because I was hoping that figure would be on a retro inspirered The Amazing Spider-Man “Special Collector Series” card back that prominently featured the Dan Jurgens artwork of Ben Reilly on the top of the packaging. I used to love that figure as a kid and I tried to scoop up as many variants of that figure that I could find. So yeah they need a mulligan on Scarlet Spider when it comes to the card back. I hope they give us the Overpower version that would be so cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I only managed to find that single release figure as a kid. How many other times did they release it? I remember there was a Clone Saga multipack that I regret never finding. TRU in Canada in the 90s was pretty hit and miss. Plus you could only get there when driven at 12.
There was technically a running change on the Ben Reilly Spider-Man figure when it came out as a single release. The first edition of the figure has a relatively thin spider symbol on the front and back of its torso and then the eye lenses on the mask matched Jurgens artwork on the card back. But 2-3 months down the road, the figure was given a makeover and had a bolder spider symbol and and a bagley-esque set of eyes on the mask. From that point on there seemed to be even assortments of both figures available in toy stores and collector shops. There was also the aforementioned maximum clonage 8-pack variant that featured a really small set of eyes and a darker blue color scheme and a lesser known figure that featured the Ben Reilly Spider-Man deco on the Super Poseable/ multi jointer body that came with the Spider-Crawler vehicle.

I recall hearing about this Ben Reilly deco on the super posable body... in hushed whispers. Some said myth. Do you have that one?
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:50 pm

panther10 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm
As if on queue…a brand new Untold Tales of Spider-Man style book featuring Ben Reilly and written by the legendary J.M. DeMatteis is set to drop in January!! Whoooo I’m excited!

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/15/marve ... gFKrE69s4Y

Cool cover. Had to try my best to recreate it. Will have to make a new one when the Retro figure comes out.

panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Enforcer wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Enforcer wrote: I think I only managed to find that single release figure as a kid. How many other times did they release it? I remember there was a Clone Saga multipack that I regret never finding. TRU in Canada in the 90s was pretty hit and miss. Plus you could only get there when driven at 12.
There was technically a running change on the Ben Reilly Spider-Man figure when it came out as a single release. The first edition of the figure has a relatively thin spider symbol on the front and back of its torso and then the eye lenses on the mask matched Jurgens artwork on the card back. But 2-3 months down the road, the figure was given a makeover and had a bolder spider symbol and and a bagley-esque set of eyes on the mask. From that point on there seemed to be even assortments of both figures available in toy stores and collector shops. There was also the aforementioned maximum clonage 8-pack variant that featured a really small set of eyes and a darker blue color scheme and a lesser known figure that featured the Ben Reilly Spider-Man deco on the Super Poseable/ multi jointer body that came with the Spider-Crawler vehicle.

I recall hearing about this Ben Reilly deco on the super posable body... in hushed whispers. Some said myth. Do you have that one?
I used to. It was a toys r us exclusive around 98-99 and I bought two of them at the time. Unfortunately most of my 5” figures are long gone. Those vehicles occasionally appear on eBay from time to time though so if you’re vigilant enough, you might be able to snag one.

panther10

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Ninjak wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm
As if on queue…a brand new Untold Tales of Spider-Man style book featuring Ben Reilly and written by the legendary J.M. DeMatteis is set to drop in January!! Whoooo I’m excited!

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/15/marve ... gFKrE69s4Y

Cool cover. Had to try my best to recreate it. Will have to make a new one when the Retro figure comes out.

Awesome recreation. And that is definitely an awesome cover. So many 90’s vibes.

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 pm

panther10 wrote:
Enforcer wrote:
panther10 wrote:

I used to. It was a toys r us exclusive around 98-99 and I bought two of them at the time. Unfortunately most of my 5” figures are long gone. Those vehicles occasionally appear on eBay from time to time though so if you’re vigilant enough, you might be able to snag one.

That would have been an amazing one to have. I can't even find photos of it online. I have the 8 inch Ben Reilly on the super posable body. I still have that and the big eye release of the Dan Jurgens cardback. I'd have loved the 5 inch one.

I do love that last Ben Reilly release but this new one will be vastly superior... and will look really nice recreating that cover... among many others from the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

panther10

ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:53 pm

Enforcer wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Enforcer wrote:

That would have been an amazing one to have. I can't even find photos of it online. I have the 8 inch Ben Reilly on the super posable body. I still have that and the big eye release of the Dan Jurgens cardback. I'd have loved the 5 inch one.

I do love that last Ben Reilly release but this new one will be vastly superior... and will look really nice recreating that cover... among many others from the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Yeah at least as far as the build is concerned. But I think I’m going to put my modified raft spidey head on that figure so it’s more bagley-esque. I’ve already got one whipped up for the regular retro spidey. I’ll do the same for Ben when he arrives.

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Nebraska wrote:Scarlet Spider-Man is favorite design in all of comics. Between Spider-Man Classics, Spider-Man Legends, & the Retro card, I own like 10. I would buy this figure on an updated body in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
And unfortunately I think the mafex one coming is still the best.

But I agree I love the costume, and hope legends keeps getting closer to mafex's

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

panther10

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:14 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Nebraska wrote:Scarlet Spider-Man is favorite design in all of comics. Between Spider-Man Classics, Spider-Man Legends, & the Retro card, I own like 10. I would buy this figure on an updated body in a heartbeat.

But I agree I love the costume, and hope legends keeps getting closer to mafex's

Upcoming Mafex is technically not the Scarlet Spider though. That’s just Ben as Spider-Man. The scarlet spider costume is the suit that includes the hoodie, belt and ankle pouches.

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:24 pm

panther10 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

Upcoming Mafex is technically not the Scarlet Spider though. That’s just Ben as Spider-Man. The scarlet spider costume is the suit that includes the hoodie, belt and ankle pouches.

Thats what I meant

TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:35 am

I hope MAFEX gets to the Scarlet Spider look. I'm a little surprised they didn't go with that costume first.
Yarlick
Avengers Assemble

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:41 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Spider-Man look even more Iconic than the hoodie Scarlet Spider?
Also, one odd thing in France, is that to differenciate Peter Spider-Man to Ben’s was to still call Ben : Scarlet Spider.

I’m thinking about using the head from the original Ben Reilly Spider-Man that came out years ago on this new version.

Between this and the Mafex one, we sure are lucky x)

( can someone tell me where I could find spare hands or heads for the Retro Carded Spidey?)
Mister Voorhees
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 am

Ironically, I think the Spider-Ben suit is known more for Spider-Girl than it is for Ben. I think the hoodie Scarlet Spider look is definitely the more well known costume for Ben.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Mister Voorhees wrote:Ironically, I think the Spider-Ben suit is known more for Spider-Girl than it is for Ben. I think the hoodie Scarlet Spider look is definitely the more well known costume for Ben.
I agree with this. I will always associate Ben with the hoodie as that is when I started buying comics.

panther10

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:29 pm

Mister Voorhees wrote:Ironically, I think the Spider-Ben suit is known more for Spider-Girl than it is for Ben. I think the hoodie Scarlet Spider look is definitely the more well known costume for Ben.
That’s definitely true. She wore the costume for a full 20 years whereas Ben was in the suit for about 10 months before he died in the original clone saga. And then you have the few one off issues from the Clone saga mini, Spider-Verse and whatnot. Who knows though, maybe Ben is now popular enough to keep around for good this time and this new flashback book of his will last long enough that he can catch-up with Mayday Parker in his own costume. I just hope that his readers and fans of his are sick of the “Ben Dies Again” trope.

Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:58 pm

My Web Man figure showed up yesterday. Super weird choice but he definitely pops as a figure. The red’s super bright and definitely makes the thing stand out. Fun figure, although I wish they’d went something other than the Spidey UK head since it’s a little big for this body.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”